0 Thread(s)

4hands44 - Commanding Officer Application

Commanding Officer Whitelist Application
    Personal Information

Byond ID?
    4hands44

Player Name You Use Most?
    James 'Screamin'Blackbriar

Make a list of links to all of your ban appeals as well as whitelist and staff applications (both accepted and denied) submitted within the past year. For appeals, provide an additional ban reason and the appeal’s verdict next to the link.
    //showthrea...(Job-Role-Ban) - in short Breaking marine law and SOP- Appeal accepted

Have you received any bans in the last month?
    No

What is your timezone in UTC?
    UTC -6:00 / -5:00

What is your discord username and handle?
    4hands44#8965

Basic Questions & Story

What do you think is the job of a Commander?
    Primarily to lead the marines, maintain order, and provide opportunity for RP or partake in RP

But most of all to make sure everyone has a Good round as well as possible

Why do you want to be a Commanding Officer?
    Mainly because while an XO (and to some extent SO) can certainly generate large scale RP opportunities. But a CO has much more pull on the Marines and gets more attention, and thus is more able to Get people on board with RP or new (hopefully fun/effective) battle strats or activities.

Provide a short story of your Commanding Officer.
    A Loyal captain to Weyland-Yutani, and the UA, this commie hating American has fought and slimed his way to the top:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...VIZ-tWPQ4/edit

Experience

How familiar are you with command positions?
    I would like to think I am very familiar with over a hundred hours as LT and XO combined spent mostly in CIC Plus plenty of hours as Head of other departments and thus familiar their duties and functions.

Approximately how many hours do you have as Executive Officer (XO) at the time of writing this application?
    almost 70 hours as XO

How familiar are you with Department Head positions?
    Ive played all of them and have a decent grasp of How to play most of them quite effectively, though im not a superstar at Chems or the more convoluted parts of ordnance manufacture.

How familiar are you with Marine Law and Standard Operating Procedure?
    I would say about average in regards to both

I can recall a little over half the Laws from memory and Can list the Chain of command, Requirements fora legal execution, and so forth. Plus I tried to make a point of doing so after being banned from MP roles a few years back.

Scenarios

When do you believe a Battlefield Execution should be used?
    Keeping in mind the BE permanently removes a person from a round (short of admin spawns or ERT) and thus can grief people very easily if misused:

1. To eliminate immediate threats to operations, Such as Rogue marine shooting up medbay, Mutineers, Self defense or the protection of Allied forces
    2. Personnel actively subverting operations, IE saboteurs or officers and squad leaders directly disobeying lawful orders without good reason
    3. Anyone actively committing a crime under ML that warrants execution but they are actively threatening the ship, not imprisoned
    4. Case by case situations that are deemed necessary
    5. The sick fuck who shot Jones

Under what circumstances do you believe it is legal to pardon a prisoner?
    1. It was a minor/major crime that was appealed and I deemed it more important for them to return to their post, or to have learned their lesson.

2. Its delta alert and they're the only Medically trained person left, and they are not an immediate threat to the ship if they are freed.

3. Cases where doing so will not inspire them or other marines to lose fear of punishment for crimes.

4. THEY MEET THE REQUIREMENTS OF SOP for a pardon

Confirmations

Have you read the Code of Conduct?
    Yes

Have you read the application process page?
    Yes

Do you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

Do you understand you cannot advertise or promote this application on any platform, including Discord?
    Yes

Do you also understand that you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey James, Captain Grub here

You've been commanding several OP's under my command and to me you seem to be a competent capable leader shipside, communication IS VITAL and as a Captain you get alot of stuff put on you, and though you don't have to micro-manage every little thing it is important you keep the OP running, and as smooth as possible for marines.

To me James screaming feels a little like a gimmick, and after reading your story I wish you put a lil more backstories about how James acts as a person, rather then his feats. It's important you really OWN your character and play in a way you can make rounds more enjoyable and fun for everyone. Obviously not everyone will agree with you and there are some people who will work against you but you need to be reminded that you're supreme authority aboard the ship, and waving that kind of power arround is something you need to take serious.

Like I said before, I don't think we've ever had a scenario where you did anything bad during my OP's but I've heard from some others you did a few things which can really steer a round into the abyss and kill it, and though you will have some of these rounds eventually as a Captain you have to try to make the best out of it and guide your marines to the best of your ability. I also HEAVILY suggest you REALLY read up on ML, study it properly and go through all the rules that comes with being a Captain. You can also ask other Captains how they handle in certain scenario's if you're not sure about a certain thing you wanna do during a round, we're all here to help and make rounds more pleasant for everyone.

I'd say that you're a cool dude, and with room to grow for sure, so keep the roleplay standard high and always make the round more pleasant for a newcoming PVT by inspiring them. Make sure you know how each department works so you can fill in on REQ too for example if it goes silent and Fob needs mats or something.

Good luck commander. I hope you work a lil on the things I said, and I wish you the best in the upcoming rounds!

+1
    Last edited by Wibo333; 08-31-2021 at 04:12 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks I'll keep that in mind, Tbh I'm not super familiar with most of the captains' OOC names, But I'd be more than happy to get advice from you or any of the other WL holders.

As for the 'screaming' I will agree.. it is kinda gimmicky feeling, It was supposed to be him talking loud since hes a bit deaf, but so many people in game would say "screaming" I sorta worked it in with his name Hence the nickname

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe instead of screaming all the time, you could have alot of moments where you just suddenly SPEAK LOUDLY because you didn't hear or understood someone due to you being partly deaf. Just a thought! And don't worry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, you make me anxious whenever I'm playing XO and I see you around because I can't shake off the impression that you're an unfriendly person. However, I've seen you for many rounds as XO and always wondered why you weren't CO yet, because I know you can be a competent leader. I've watched your commanding rounds, seen you make mistakes while commanding, and learn from them in your other rounds.

Though I do want you to be more engaging with the people around you, I'm still going to +1 you because I've seen you around your friends as well and understand that you have what it takes to be a good leader.

Also, your story link is just linked to your documented CO app, and the link in the document is the link to itself. Can you post the link to your story here in the comments?
    Major Amber Walsh, Exceptional Leader

Spoiler Spoiler:

Za'Kul, Foolish Hunter
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oops, I should probably have made it a little clearer- When I was doing my app, I copied the Questions and stuff so I could answer them like it was suggested in in a seperate doc- If you scroll down past the APP part, the story is a longer set of paragraphs

Ceyella
    So, i have some constructive criticism here, that is mostly in line with what grub has said, and that is you are trying reallllly hard to be a "woke LRP memer CO" and not a HRP example. for instance, during grims first-contact HRP event, you were XO, and i had to call you on the radio.

me > CO, Alpha SL, in position hospital, unknown creature has cleaved two deltas through, requesting permission to use air support on hospital to destroy it.

now, normally people can just, you know, up and call CAS, but it was a HRP event so i wanted to engage with you in RP. i can safely assume how most COs would react, - ok what creature? your response was to all caps scream at me its just a rav and hangup. like dude, I know it is a rav. we all know it is a rav. the point of that call was to roleplay, which is a huge factor in someone being a CO. windhealer RPs. snake RPs. all the "woke" popular COs, still RP, because that is the job. you give no RP in your actions. you just do whatever makes sense as a player, dissociated of the game. all caps man who does what delta does is not a CO gimmick, its not anything. why don't you make your gimmick, the one guy who actually sides with WY? in lore, and RP, we actually should work with them alot more than the COs who instantly kick them out of CIC. no other CO really gives a shit about WY, or the CL. Just try not to let it derail you too much. but this a perfect CO gimmick that actually engages in RP.

now as for your experience, do you have 100 hours total in your life, or 100 hours in the current logger? for instance the current in game thing says i have 300 hours, but i have more like 2,000 hours, because i played before it was logged. if you know someone on staff enough, theyy can pull a monthly logged ckey thing to find your "real" hours, before the timelock hours came out. 100 hours is actually not alot, because of how many people no life this game. for instance, one month, ONE MONTH. i played cm 387 hours. there are only 700 odd hours in a month.

now, the one thing i think will actually get you in trouble, is you think it is ok to BE someone for killing jones. dude, someone steals/kills jones every 3rd round, and have you ever seen a CO BE over it? no, because it is a cat. a SO will walk into CIC, pull out his gun and merk jones right there, and he can only be arrested. if you run over and BE him, you will have a hell of a fight on your hands in reports.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you're fine (from reading the app and also playing with you in the game itself from a marine/Xeno perspective) and I don't see any issue with you in-game when I play as marines. I'm sure you'll do fine as CO
    otherwise Ceyella pointed out my concerns with the application that should hopefully not be a concern if you do get CO whitelist
    +1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually prefer aiming for a Higher RP when its practical, even if yes, I do play to the "american soldiers and oil" stereotype heavily , And during the same First contact event, Made a point of Giving a longer and more Normal Briefing as would be expected for a normal Distress signal. And, at least in CIC, treated it more like a normal "hostile Fauna issue" Also I didn't call in CAS At first because I was making of point of "minimizing damage to colony assets" since as a Character James tends to side with Corporate, at until things turned sour and it became apparent in CIC it was more than just a bit of hostile Fauna.

As for HRP in general for the event, I do apologize for being short on the phone call, but In cic we were speaking with the CL and trying to work him for information, asking him questions on what he knew about these "xenomorphs" since he was the only one who knew. And thus as XO, I spent much less time leading and way more time talking to the CL, CMP, and CMO for information they were "revealing" and "theorizing" about the "lizards"

I also don't recall saying any normal Xeno call-outs either, Just the classic "red Dog" type stuff, and If I did it was a mistake. I actually miss the old days when first contact was the norm and nobody just knew what they did and reacted to it.

As for Jones, Even the Wiki says to:But yes that would be a silly and pointless BE 99% of the time and thus LRP Which I hate. It was honestly more a reference to the BE page on the wiki, which listed it as one of many reasons to BE someone. I agree though, its usually a stupid reason.

If it sounds Like i'm not taking your critique well, I apologize, Its a bit late and im not the most verbose.

In general though, I do agree with taking the siding with the CL/WY gimmick, I have actually of late been pushing towards making it more visible as an RP decision to side with WY over HC, agreeing with the CL, and doing things they ask. and reducing the use of all caps as a means of acting deaf, and using it more sparingly rather just pressing caps lock at round start and just saying everything in all caps. Ik the last few rounds Grub has been burning Forms the CL gives or Ive stepped in to sign them instead and made efforts to appease the CL, such as asking for eggs and such.

In terms of experience, I've played CM 13 on and off since probably late 2018/ early 2019, and definitely have more than the 100 hours tracked in Command roles Pre-changes, maybe not a massive amount more, since I do have a day job and play other servers/games, but Im certainly no stranger to CIC or CM and its many mechanics, Honestly I always found medical to be one of the more fun jobs and thus id say a good 60% of my playtime new and old is as Med-staff/medic, which while not necessarily helpful to Command staff, is probably the place I'm most experienced. Its also one of the reasons I didnt bother appealing my MP ban for so long, I found medical way more fun and kinda forgot about it. But now I'm rambling...

In short: I agree to some degree with you're saying, though I would say I don't aim for max meme potential to meme, but more because its a "gimmick" or character archetype that nobody seemed to be filling, and certainly had a magnetic quality in my mind since most people can get with the idea of a Corporate minded leader who uses guns to get oil (or other profitable materials) in the name of greed. And to that end I will be taking this critique and start trying some new things to improve.

Senior Admin
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your gimmick is totally not my thing, but it is at least not exhausting or disruptive. You also do not lack skill and understanding of what makes a good CO in my book.

I've seen you play MP roles enough that I don't think you have any issues in understanding their role and how to apply ML in game.

So that's a +1 from me. Good luck.
    Senior Administrator