0 Thread(s)

UnclearDoctorMain - Commanding Officer Application

Commanding Officer Whitelist Application
    Personal Information

Byond ID?
    MrDadMan

Player Name You Use Most?
    Amber Walsh

Make a list of links to all of your ban appeals as well as whitelist and staff applications (both accepted and denied) submitted within the past year. For appeals, provide an additional ban reason and the appeal’s verdict next to the link.
    N/A

Have you received any bans in the last month?
    No

What is your timezone in UTC?
    UTC-4(EDT)

What is your discord username and handle?
    Frog#6006

Basic Questions & Story

What do you think is the job of a Commander?
    I feel the role of CO is guidance.

The word guidance means many things for a CO: the CO is someone who has experience in multiple aspects of the game and knows how to provide advice for upcoming leaders and assist with their knowledge to lead not only their marines, but importantly, their peers as well. The CO is a very solid role model to many players of how one should display themselves not even combat-wise, behavior-wise, but as well as leadership to those that require it.

I believe that the CO should step into the AO when additional help is needed, such as communication, pointers, morale, and even deploying in situations to become a central leader that will effectively use their exceptional knowledge to properly lead their men to the desired goal.

Why do you want to be a Commanding Officer?
    My desire to become a CO has become a personal matter.

I’ve always stuck mainly to shipside because shipside interactions were what gave me enjoyment, not so much the combat. Eventually, my interests peaked for a synthetic whitelist, so I asked around for advice about my conduct. I was told straight forward that I was a toxic player, and I needed to cut it if I wanted a chance to be more active in the community. I looked back on myself and did exactly that. I enjoy playing xeno because it’s a large part of the server, and I took to playing Queen due to lowpop not always getting a roundstart queen. I enjoyed commanding and playing a significant role in leading a victory with strategic playing. I soon got tired of playing Queen and took to playing SL, SO, and XO more.

I was stopped by a Captain, and he told me straightforwardly that I had the potential to be a great leader and that I could get myself to Captain, but I needed to put in the hard work and forge my way to being qualified. A month has gone by since and I’ve tried my best to fix my conduct while maintaining my humor and personality. I want to take the challenge of proving that the “Queen of LRP” can make a change and do what is necessary to obtain a hard-to-earn position in not only the game, but also the community.

Provide a short story of your Commanding Officer.
    It’s not a short story, but I can’t get my story across without having length and detail put into it! I also see dossiers very often, so I’ll try my best to avoid directly making one, but still including how my character worked her way to her position.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...wHcW2_9XY/edit

Experience

How familiar are you with command positions?
    I completely understand the role and job of every command job. I have extensive groundside experience and I know the maps very well. I’m very confident in my ability to lead, communicate, strategize, maintain cohesion (while deployed), and when to enable aggression and pressure while fighting (while fighting).

Communication is crucial while leading; commanding isn’t about holding the marines’ hands, but to guide them.

Approximately how many hours do you have as Executive Officer (XO) at the time of writing this application?
    I currently have 53 hours as XO. Here are my in-game playtimes:

https://imgur.com/a/RywRcqL

How familiar are you with Department Head positions?
    My knowledge is extensive in almost every department. I’ve put most of my in-game time into shipside roles and have experienced most interactions offered through most of the departments.

Medical: 231 hours. There was a point in time that I knew everything that the server could offer about medical, and I still hold adamant that I am better than most medical players to this day.

Engineering: 131 hours. I know practically everything that involves engineering shipside and the importance of certain things, including deployment to create efficient defenses, electronics, and communications.

Requisitions: 45 hours. I properly understand managing the finances; communication; proper operation supplying; attention management; supply strategies to do at the beginning of rounds; and handling equipment, weaponry, ammunition, tools, etc. distribution to marines.

Military Police: 12 hours. I understand the importance of staying in character/rp while playing a role that requires serious conduct. I also understand the procedures one must go through for processing arrests, proper SOP for MP conduct, and am confident in my ability to properly play in the department.

How familiar are you with Marine Law and Standard Operating Procedure?
    I’ve thoroughly sat down and read both on the server wiki several times for instances where I wanted to ensure my understanding. I’ve spoken with players with much more experience involving ML and SOP and even more so interacted with them. I’ve been in many situations involving both and I can say that even though I may not be perfect, I have advanced knowledge in both areas. I’m confident in my ability to handle decisions regarding pardons and appeals.

Scenarios

When do you believe a Battlefield Execution should be used?
    I feel a BE would be used in the case that the situation is out of control and removing the source is the solution to the issue. This would mean that the person does not resolve their behavior, MPs cannot control the situation and properly get the person(s) in custody, or even someone is directly going against my orders and refuses to pay mind to what I would have in mind for the time.

In any situation that would require competent intervention, I would resort to a BE if there was no other way to handle the situation in a timely and appropriate manner.

Acceptable BE: a squad marine is attacking their squad leader on the dropship with harmful intentions and the squad leader is murdered in the process. This BE is fine because the situation was out of control from the nearest authority (their SL, seeming he was murdered) and using a BE would stop the marine from attacking.

Unacceptable BE: the CMP arrests the RO against your order for DTGP and sentences them in brig. The BE is not fine because the arrest was not invalid and the crime did happen, so BEing for this situation of insubordination is not acceptable.

Under what circumstances do you believe it is legal to pardon a prisoner?
    If someone gets arrested, there is a reason for it. An exception I would give and pardon someone for is if their absence is making a visible difference in the operation or someone is required for a plan premade for the AO and their assistance is required to hastily execute what is needed to be done.
    There are also variables like time on their sentence, severity of crime, truthfulness, type of crime, and how they act that will affect my judgement about pardoning as well. However, a pardon is also under the condition that they DID commit the crime and that the crime is not a CAPITAL crime.
    Acceptable pardon: the RO broke a window in their department and you believe they are vital to the operation.
    Unacceptable pardon: a squad marine murders the CL and you thought it was funny, so you pardon them. The MPs say that he cannot be pardoned, but you do it anyway because you're the Captain.

Confirmations

Have you read the Code of Conduct?
    Yes

Have you read the application process page?
    Yes

Do you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

Do you understand you cannot advertise or promote this application on any platform, including Discord?
    Yes

Do you also understand that you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those who would like to review my conduct and competency before voting:

I'd like to comment though you may understand my time zone, I most likely will be playing very late at night or earlier in the morning while on the weekdays. For the weekend, I might have a normal schedule. Which all means that I can't give a definitive time that I'll be playing.
    Major Amber Walsh, Exceptional Leader

Spoiler Spoiler:

Za'Kul, Foolish Hunter
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In terms of skill, a very solid player that can be trusted to handle any department competently, specially head of department ones.
    In terms of the RP standard? while Amber is known for her MT shenanigans, I've seen them CMO / RO / XO enough to be sure that when the role / situation requires seriousness they can keep up with it while being aware their actions can have round ending consequences for others.
    Solid XO that's always good to see around (specially in lowpop when there's usually none) +1

Senior Admin
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I remember you do not lack the technical knowledge on how to play XO nor have any issues managing the ship.

You have however, time and time again, demonstrated that you do not understand neither the role of MPs and ML in the game and have shown a tendency to soft grief players. I've seen you both completely abuse shipside roles and continue to do so even when asked to stop both OOCly and ICly. You also had a tendency to shirk any sort of authority and I get the feeling that part of the reason you are applying to be a CO is to remove that "burden" from yourself. I do not think that is an attitude that's suitable for the WL.

I have not seen you play enough recently for me to change my opinion on that.

Frankly, I think that's going to be an issue if you get the WL and that is why I am giving you a -1 on your app.

As far as I'm concerned, I would need to see improved IC and OOC behavior to change my mind on this, but luckily my opinion is just one of many.

Good luck.
    Senior Administrator

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    XO'd with me numerous times now and have been a fun and engaging leader, you communicate well and play to have fun rather than just powertrip. Trust you'll be a great addition to the WL and improve the quality of the rounds you play on

Big +1 from me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Knows how to play SL and lead more than the majority of CO WL lol. Knows how to command as well in cic. 1+

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just here to say. a person can know ML and STILL break ML. I don't know what is up with the #command-center and with some never-player CO
    I know the CO whitelist is a good idea and it's the one thing keeping terrible players from getting it but at the same time, I feel as if some people are gatekeeping it just because of marines law. these people are the reason we don't have enough people trying to apply for CO even if they could potentially be a great Captain.
    I ain't a whitelisted CO and will unlikely to be in 2021 given my current behavior but In my opinion, amber is FINE. we had people that didn't deserve the CO whitelist get it.

I don't have any reason to tell the future readers why amber should be CO but I want them to keep in mind that they should not feel discouraged from applying for CO.

I believe in amber's ability to effectively command and lead the marine and make the round interesting.
    +1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silencer_pl View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, I would need to see improved IC and OOC behavior to change my mind on this, but luckily my opinion is just one of many.
    Frankly, this was the main concern I had while applying for the whitelist application: behavior conduct.

Yes, it's true that I've been a soft-griefing LRP MT that loops my way around rules and opinions to just have my own fun. But I'd like to assure you and anyone else concerned about this that I'm fully serious about my application to CO; I've been working hard the past two months to change my behavior to be suitable for the whitelist and I've been speaking together with many people to make sure that I would be able to impress. I do understand that with the impression of a soft-griefing loop-hole-er, you wouldn't think that a serious opinion would make an impact. However, I've spoken with people like ito726 and CaptainStubbs when they've had a serious thought about my conduct. After all, I can't read your mind and tell what you think. I'm very welcoming of any criticism that you may have and I'm serious about improving myself so that I'll be more welcome into the community.

About your concerns with me in a position as an MP and ML:

Yes, it is true that there can and will be many MP players that are much better in the role as me. I admit that I do not know many of the MP metas, made clear by ito726. However, this does not mean that I do not know ML and SOP. In fact, I've put significant amount of time into ensuring that I know ML and SOP through reading, rereading, various methods of observations, and testing my knowledge. I have most of ML and SOP understandings because the interactions my IC interactions with you, ito726, FrankTheMagicPotato, and SolidFury7. Though you four have arrested me over 100 times IC, I still greatly look up to all of you for being highly commendable figures that properly preforms their duty in the Military Police department!

Though you may see me OOC and how I act there, but that in no way reflects my behavior IC. Respectfully, you and I have not interacted much IC in the past two months, which I claim to have transformed my conduct during that time; let alone seen one another due to different times that we are both on. However, to make up for this: I am very ready to answer any questions, modify my schedule some time to fit yours so that you may see in what ways I have changed, talk about any hypotheticals of IC situations, speak about any concerns you have for me and what you suggest how to resolve the issue, and testing me on any knowledge IC that you may be concerned about, all privately so that you'll come to a more assured state-of-mind with me applying for the whitelist.

I'd also like to ask that though my responses in this application are confident that you do not mistake it for arrogance. I strongly believed that I had what it takes to be able to change and become a significant figure within the community that you and others can trust with this valuable responsibility, and I am here to show that determination. Even though my past conduct is that which should be looked at with suspicion, I will show my determination for you all. Your criticism are taken to heart after I post this reply, and anything further you might would like to share in private DMs now that I've open it up as an option (my username and handle for discord is Frog#6006. After all, "any man can make mistakes, but only an idiot persists in his error." - Marcus Tullius Cicero.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Za'Kul, Foolish Hunter
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lcarapaica View Post
    In terms of skill, a very solid player that can be trusted to handle any department competently, specially head of department ones.
    In terms of the RP standard? while Amber is known for her MT shenanigans, I've seen them CMO / RO / XO enough to be sure that when the role / situation requires seriousness they can keep up with it while being aware their actions can have round ending consequences for others.
    Solid XO that's always good to see around (specially in lowpop when there's usually none) +1
    I'll try my best to uphold the RP standard and do what I can to make the round interesting whenever I go into command roles. I also look forward to continue working with you and the others that follow you while you play.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Za'Kul, Foolish Hunter
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by special2kira View Post
    I'm just here to say. a person can know ML and STILL break ML. I don't know what is up with the #command-center and with some never-player CO
    I know the CO whitelist is a good idea and it's the one thing keeping terrible players from getting it but at the same time, I feel as if some people are gatekeeping it just because of marines law. these people are the reason we don't have enough people trying to apply for CO even if they could potentially be a great Captain.
    I ain't a whitelisted CO and will unlikely to be in 2021 given my current behavior but In my opinion, amber is FINE. we had people that didn't deserve the CO whitelist get it.

I don't have any reason to tell the future readers why amber should be CO but I want them to keep in mind that they should not feel discouraged from applying for CO.

I believe in amber's ability to effectively command and lead the marine and make the round interesting.
    +1
    Honestly this is really controversial for most because recently people have been poking around the topic, but I understand completely where you're coming from. I'll try to do the best that I can while playing to not break any conduct expectations, any rules involving ML, and really any other expectations that people will have of me. I would love any advice, criticisms, and concerns that you and anyone else may have while the app is open, and after it's closed. My discord username and handle is Frog#6006 and I'd be happy to talk about anything involving my IC character, the application, or anything in general. Thank you for believing in me, I'll do my best not to let you down.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Za'Kul, Foolish Hunter
    Spoiler Spoiler: