Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Balance Asshat - Commanding Officer Application

Commanding Officer Whitelist Application
    Personal Information

Byond ID?
    PizzaMe

Player Name You Use Most?
    Constantine Richardson aka The neon pink haired, neon green bearded XO. (See story)

Make a list of links to all of your ban appeals as well as whitelist and staff applications (both accepted and denied) submitted within the past year. For appeals, provide an additional ban reason and the appeal’s verdict next to the link.
    None in the last year.

My only bans are from years ago for doing dumb stuff when I was new to the game.

Have you received any bans in the last month?
    No

What is your timezone in UTC?
    UTC-4 but I work nights so I'm usually on during EU/Lowpop hours

What is your discord username and handle?
    wealwaysdeliver [I have boomer level knowledge of discord, never used it before]

Basic Questions & Story

What do you think is the job of a Commander?
    Besides the standard leadership duties, the commanders job is to make decisions.
    Simple decisions like:
    What's the plan? What LZ will we deploy to? Where are we doing the brief and what time? What squads will do what? What OB should be loaded? Is it time to evac or do we stay?

Complicated decisions like:
    Bravo does not have any engineers, do we pull engineers from other squads into bravo? Send the CE down to help? Deploy the synth?
    Should the OB be dropped on the random marine with a JTAC kit's mark?
    Lurkers are ambushing reinforcements and the wounded traveling to and from the LZ to the front. Do we pull a squad from the front line to hunt them? Have bravo make a fire team to deal with it? Warn marines over the announcement about the danger and forbid anyone from traveling alone?
    The push is failing and we are taking heavy losses, the SADAR was just killed and his body is a few feet from the front guarded by xenos. Do we continue the push to try and recover the spec at the risk of completely collapsing the front or do we retreat with our wounded and revive our dead, leaving the SADAR behind?

The commanders job is also to keep everyone informed of whats happening and make sure the entire operation is running smoothly.
    SL's need to be re-assigned when KIA/Caputed, squads need to be kept up to date with orders and intel about enemy locations, everyone needs to know where the queen is and when she screeches, JTAC's need to be reminded to mark for CAS and OB, SL's need to be reminded about the status and type of the OB, Req needs to be checked on to make sure they have not fallen SSD and supplies are flowing, etc.

The commander also has to manage all of the ship-side personnel. Keeping up to date with the MP's. Making sure everyone is doing what they should be and that everyone has what they need to get the job done. Dealing with pardons and standard UNGA issues and whatever other chaos breaks out on the ship.

Lastly the commander also has to RP. Chat with the crew staff and try to make the sometimes boring ship jobs more fun. RP with the CL, act authoritative and responsible in front of the enlisted, and try to make the round fun for everyone.

Why do you want to be a Commanding Officer?
    So I don't have to keep asking the CE to break into the CO's bathroom to retrieve the command tablet. Scratch that, it was finally fixed in the last update.

It's actually a hard question. I never really thought about applying for CO but people keep telling me I'd make a good CO, so I thought I'd give it a try.
    https://imgur.com/a/hEfDD2c
    I come from an RTS background and I like playing XO. My RP is not the best but I've improved a lot since I first started playing shipside rolls. I'd just like to give CO a shot and see how I do at it.
    I play mostly during low pop and we never have a CO or any command really, as a result I'd say about 80% of my games as XO have had me playing as aCO. If I'm not playing XO usually the CE or RO has to stand in for command.

Honestly I don't plan on using most of the CO perks. I would play CO the same way I play my current XO, I just want the ability to hand out medals to people who deserve it. 2-3 marines kill the queen, can't give them a medal. Hero scout breaks into the hive and frees our captives, can't give them a medal. Excellent SL uses great communication with his squad and leads the push that ends up winning the game, can't give them a medal. Many such cases.

Provide a short story of your Commanding Officer.
    Disco McFarland was born the son of second generation wealthy urbanite Irish immigrants. Thanks to nepotism and his parents wealth Disco was accepted into the USMC officer cadet school. Unfortunately for Disco, the administration took issue with his birth name on the grounds that it was "to ridiculous and stereotypical". Disco tried to explain that it was quite common for wealthy upper class parents to give children dumb names such as X Æ A-12 and that he knew a kid named Hennessy in gradeschool but high command would have none of it and forced him to chance it. Disco changed his name to Constantine Richardson.

In officer school Constantine proved to be somewhat unremarkable. Earning low marks in firearms and combat training but high marks in organization and leadership. After completing officer school Constantine was given a commission on board the USS Almayer as a staff officer. Around the same time Constantine received his officer commission high command loosened the regulations on hair style and hair dyes. Upset by the clear hypocrisy of this decision compared to his own situation, Constantine decided to dye his hair regulation neon pink and grow is beard out and dye it regulation neon green.
    "When people comment on how ridiculous I look I will be able to explain my story to them and maybe if enough people hear it they will change the rules" thought Constantine. Unfortunately things did not go the way Constantine had planned.
    Instead of getting questions about the way he looked, Constantine just received insults such as "You will never be a real women", "Fake Girl", "Tranny", etc. Constantine was initially very confused until he figured out what was happening.
    The enlisted marines mistook Constantine's protest against high command as a sign that he was part of the transgender movement. The protest was a complete failure.

Eventually Constantine gave up on rebelling against high command and focused on doing his job. Constantine preformed admirably as an SO and was eventually promoted to XO. He would serve many shifts as XO, sometimes completely running entire operations by himself. Constantine Richardson was promoted to the rank of Captain after a long sent of successful operations over many years, having never set foot on the battlefield.

In short, Constantine Richardson is an unrobust bureaucratic commander who earned rank just by putting time in, showing up, and doing a good job, not thanks to any major act of heroism or bravery. He's a ship side commander, not a front line commander. You won't find him giving a rallying speech on the front line but when he's in charge the marines are never short on supplies, MP's are never bored, UNGAing is at a minimum, everyone knows whats happening and what they need to do, and the operation runs smooth as butter.

Experience

How familiar are you with command positions?
    Extremely familiar. I've been playing XO for over a year now. It's never my high roll but it's still one of my most played rolls. I played a lot of SO before that to learn how everything works.
    I've read all the documents, SOP, Marine law, etc.
    I've run CIC solo plenty of times and I've never had an incident or a job ban.

Approximately how many hours do you have as Executive Officer (XO) at the time of writing this application?
    81 hours.

How familiar are you with Department Head positions?
    I've played all of them except for CMP because of the high play time requirement. I played RO back in the glorious days of the mile long req line. Good times.

How familiar are you with Marine Law and Standard Operating Procedure?
    I've read both along with the CO COC. I don't have marine law memorized but I know the basics. Everyone has the right to a radio and an appeal, etc.
    I pull it up in a side tab when dealing with MP issues.

I like to give NJP's instead of making marines do time when circumstances allow for it.

Scenarios

When do you believe a Battlefield Execution should be used?
    From marine law:
    The Captain may perform Battlefield Executions. This means they may personally execute anyone under their authority on the ship or Area of Operations without warning or procedure unless in MP Custody, provided their words or actions fulfill one of the following conditions:
    A threat to your command. Credibly attempting to or threatening to undermine your command, or attempting to remove your command through illegal means. (Minor insults, disagreements, or being faxed about to high command is not undermining your command. Countermanding or refusing to follow orders is.)
    A threat to persons. Credibly threatening and attempting to do harm to the Captain or to someone while in the Captain's presence.
    A threat to the ship or operation. Credibly threatening or attempting to do damage to the ship, the USCM, or operation while in the Captain’s presence.
    Battlefield Executions should not be done in such a way it creates collateral damage or risks involving innocent parties or persons, they should be performed in person and target each individual individually.

My personal thoughts:
    Game rule breaks should be handled by the admins.
    Everything else should be played out in RP.
    I don't ever see myself doing a BE outside of specific RP scenarios. I just don't like it. In my 80 hours of XO i've never once thought "This situation would be improved if the CO BE'd someone". In any situation I'd rather call the MP's and do an arrest. If the MP's can't solve the problem time to deputize reinforcements or even fax the provost marshal office. I've had them show up before and it's always a blast.
    It creates more RP for everyone and it's a lot more fun then just killing somebody. That ends RP completely.

Under what circumstances do you believe it is legal to pardon a prisoner?
    Non-capital crimes when you believe the criminal will not become a repeat offender.
    Pardons should not be handed out like candy and the CO should decide on a case by case basis.
    As aCO I usually only give out pardons if the offender is not expressing violent hostility towards the USMC or the MP's, is apologetic or insistent on innocence, and can provide a good defense as to why they are not guilty. I usually play lawyer with the CMP/Warden, to see if they are making proper arrests.
    What are the charges?
    When and where did the arrest take place?
    Any witnesses?
    Do you have evidence for the crime?
    If the MP's dropped the ball and don't have a good case for the arrest I'll pardon.

The only time I'd make an exception to that is if persons roll is mission critical such as they are the only doctor on the ship and marines are bursting in the medbay. As long as the crime is not capital or something related to them intentionally doing a bad job i.e. doc arrested for giving out space drugs to marines, they are likely going to get a pardon for the sake of the mission.

Confirmations

Have you read the Code of Conduct?
    Yes

Have you read the application process page?
    Yes

Do you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

Do you understand you cannot advertise or promote this application on any platform, including Discord?
    Yes

Do you also understand that you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes
    Last edited by Balance Asshat; 09-09-2021 at 12:17 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As aCO I usually only give out pardons if the offender is not expressing violent hostility towards the USMC or the MP's, is apologetic or insistent on innocence, and can provide a good defense as to why they are not guilty. I usually play lawyer with the CMP/Warden, to see if they are making proper arrests.
    You are not actually allowed to give out pardons as an XO or aCO they are reserved for COs, on non-capital.

I come from an RTS background and I like playing XO. My RP is not the best but I've improved a lot since I first started playing shipside rolls. I'd just like to give CO a shot and see how I do at it.
    I play mostly during low pop and we never have a CO or any command really, as a result I'd say about 80% of my games as XO have had me playing as aCO. If I'm not playing XO usually the CE or RO has to stand in for command.

Honestly I don't plan on using most of the CO perks. I would play CO the same way I play my current XO, I just want the ability to hand out medals to people who deserve it. 2-3 marines kill the queen, can't give them a medal. Hero scout breaks into the hive and frees our captives, can't give them a medal. Excellent SL uses great communication with his squad and leads the push that ends up winning the game, can't give them a medal. Many such cases.
    Personally I don't think that this is a good reason, however It's really up to others to decide.
    I don't really like to shoot a message on these but I'm going to give you a -1 mostly because of the pardon question.
    Kirie dear, are you coming to bed?

Maybe. Who knows. I might play a song for old time's sake. Do you mind, Nicole?

Not at all. I would love it.

And so, she once again picked up the baby blue ukulele that she bought, all those years ago.
    She begun to form the words on her lips as she caressed the frets with the same grace she always did.
    They fell in love all over again.

...and her music was electric.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hello there what time are you (in your time zone) able to play? I'd like to observe you to see how you work

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by special2kira View Post
    hello there what time are you (in your time zone) able to play? I'd like to observe you to see how you work
    Usually 1 am - 5am EST.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsunemitsu View Post
    You are not actually allowed to give out pardons as an XO or aCO they are reserved for COs, on non-capital.

Personally I don't think that this is a good reason, however It's really up to others to decide.
    I don't really like to shoot a message on these but I'm going to give you a -1 mostly because of the pardon question.
    I think you have that wrong.

All marines have the right to an appeal and the appeal has to be heard by the CMP or the ships Commander (aCO). I'll copy paste the law from the wiki:

Right to appeal
    An appeal is the process in which a case is reviewed by a higher authority. Appeals function as a process for error correction, but they may not be used to add on new charges or punishments after a brig timer has been set.
    Appeal Sentence in a timely manner

Anyone under the jurisdiction of Marine Law has the right to appeal their punishment to the CMP or Commander which may designate someone else to handle it. Should either be involved, they must designate an uninvolved mp or uninvolved commissioned officer.

Verbiage:
    Commander: The current Commander of this ship. Anything that mentions the Commander also applies to acting commanders. These rights are transferable to any new aCO.

If I've been doing it wrong this whole time I'll stop if you can show me where it says appeals are for the CO only, but when it's just me as XO and one MP on staff is the marine just not allowed to appeal his sentience because no CMP or CO are awake?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, Appeals are different from pardons my guy!

Check this section out
    https://cm-ss13.com/wiki/Commanding_...onduct#Pardons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsunemitsu View Post
    Ah, Appeals are different from pardons my guy!

Check this section out
    https://cm-ss13.com/wiki/Commanding_...onduct#Pardons
    AHHHH! I actually read that earlier when writing my application and was very confused by it.
    I've always thought that when you hear someones appeal and find them not guilty that's a pardon.
    Wrong word on my part. Legal speak sometimes trips me up.

In that case, no I've never pardoned anyone as XO. What I wrote in the pardon section is how I would handle appeals.
    I would only hand out pardons for extremely extenuating circumstances as CO. Such as only 1 doctor, doc does some minor stupid thing like drunk on the job, gets arrested, hugged marines are in medbay needing surgery, pardon the doc and save the marines. Actually, I would probably RP it out with the MP so the doc is released on parole. I can't think of a scenario where I would pardon someone who blatantly broke the law. If I need to have someone released I try to negotiate a reduced sentence with the CMP, see if NJP is on the table, release on parole if applicable like the doc situation, I don't think i'd just free a person without any consequences for committing a crime.
    Last edited by Balance Asshat; 09-09-2021 at 05:00 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an SL who's played under you a lot of times cause we kinda share timezones I think you have the right attitude, but you're not there yet in capability. Kinda stereotypically command slow at times, announcing for marines to remember the possibility to fallback from the front.... while the retreat is almost at fob is an example. I don't think you use helmet cams or tacmaps as much as you should, as sometimes you are either asking questions to things that can simply be answered with tacmaps or helmet cams. And just general lack of direction when you're XO. If I request something like OB, where are other squads in relation to mine, or do we push or not in a certain direction, you're usually painfully late with your answer, which almost always means the opportunity is lost while I wait for your response when im SL. It isn't just like, a round or two, though. I probably have at least a dozen rounds with you as my XO and I just don't really experience reliability, is what I'll call it I guess? I enjoy your RP and briefings, and I think you do a good job of that, though.

I think you should look into making command announcements more as well, as in critical times such as retreats, flanks or pushes, you're usually dead silent. Maybe playing groundside leading more will get you to be more proactive in thinking. -1 from me for now, but ill think youll earn it in a bit, or if you take this to heart while this app is up. good luck gamer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll take that into consideration.
    My command is pretty generic, 100%. I'm still trying to improve on it.
    I spend the majority of the round on helmet cams, it's just often I don't have any SO's and i'm dealing with things on the ship so I miss stuff. I just can't respond to everything right when it's happening. It's a big difference when I have SO's and all the heads of staff shipside.
    As for the questions, I just like hearing from marines on the ground. Sometimes the tacmap can be lagged or completely wrong (ice) and I like to hear what marines on the ground think about the situation.

"If I request something like OB, where are other squads in relation to mine, or do we push or not in a certain direction, you're usually painfully late with your answer, which almost always means the opportunity is lost while I wait for your response when im SL."
    That's usually me short staffed. I feel the same way in CIC at times. If i'm giving short answers it's because I don't have time to type out anything else. A lot of stuff happens shipside that you never see or hear about.
    Regardless I'll try and work on that. Sometimes I do delay it because I want to make sure the targets good and I'm not OBing the FOB. I've done a few "He said fire? Ok FIRE!, oh now he said Cancel it..." and that's always in the back of my mind with OB.

" I enjoy your RP and briefings, and I think you do a good job of that, though."
    Thanks, I try to avoid the generic "Alpha do this, bravo FOB, charlie do this". It's hard coming up with new stuff. I hope everyone likes the NCO briefings.

"I think you should look into making command announcements more as well, as in critical times such as retreats, flanks or pushes, you're usually dead silent."
    Here I was worried I was doing it to much and being spammy with it.
    Thanks for the feedback.

"Maybe playing groundside leading more will get you to be more proactive in thinking."
    I'll do that.

"-1 from me for now, but ill think youll earn it in a bit, or if you take this to heart while this app is up. good luck gamer"
    Thanks the feedback is really appreciated.
    Last edited by Balance Asshat; 09-09-2021 at 10:28 AM.

Senior Admin & Whitelist Overseer Fortelian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your story is too short. I cannot support this for the time being. I suggest you withdraw, or let some more people comment, then withdraw, and add more detail to your character story before applying again. As for your other answers, an aCO can't pardon people, they can accept appeals, however. The difference between appeals and pardons is very important. I will say, your BE answer is pretty good, I myself almost never use BEs, just know that sometimes there will be a time when you HAVE to BE someone, and if you really want to make a point to your marines that they can't be disrespectful and mess with you, then a BE is the way to go, especially if someone's interrupting your briefing by shoving you around or punching you and stuff. MPs are good, but don't always rely on them to be... smart.
    Salvador Kepplinger - President of Andorra
    LOV3 - The friendly Bean.
    Senior mentor

Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler: