User Tag List

Thread: The 'All American Unga' Build

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 'All American Unga' Build

EDIT: I HAVE NOW UPDATED IT TO CURRENT CM.

I've got a bit of free time right now and there's been quite a few weapon changes recently so I thought I'd write up a basic loadout build that is current. This is the build I've been playing around with recently and the aim of the build is to make it a good all-rounder. This role is intended for PFC's to be competent or at least useful in almost all situations you'll find on the frontline or just in general. Any criticism or improvements or feedback is welcome. I'll list all the choices you make in the order you would get them from cryo to deploy.

TLDR at the bottom, cause ain't nobody got time to read all this nonsense.

First off, right as you leave cryo you MUST go buy smokes. Every true American smokes either cigars or lucky strikes on the battlefield. This part is non-negotiable. Before you leave eat and grab a flask for your Unga.

Second, grab uniform, boots, gloves, etc, including the MRE. I used to never take the MRE as it wasn't needed but with the bleeding changes you can now find yourself low on blood pretty often and others may need it as well so grab it. Get medium armor and grab the Shell loading rig, a first aid pouch for the bandages (cause again the changes to bleeding actually make it useful to have bandages) and the tricord injector and a shotgun scabbard. Now onto the 45 points you got to spend, grab 2 large mag pouches and with the 15 points leftover buy whatever, I usually get a health visor so I can see which marines are downed and not dead yet.

~Wiggle room~: You technically don't have to get medium armor and the large mag pouches, you could get light and say just buy 3 AP mags but let me explain my reasoning. We'll be running with 2 main weapons in this build and we might find ourselves low on Ammo after awhile on the front. With the large mag pouches (compared to regular ones) and medium armor (compared to light) that's 3 more mags you can carry giving you 12 mags total when all is said and done. A 25% boost in ammo capacity is nothing to sneeze at and the loss of a slightly lower move speed and gain of slightly more durability and break resistance when compared to light armor is a trade off I think worth taking.

~SOME THOUGHTS WITH NEW LOADOUT UPDATES:~ With the new loadout updates I think it is worth considering buying B12 armor with this build. If instead of buying 2 large mag pouches you instead buy one and B12 armor. This gives you slightly more survivability (+5 armor in 4 areas with same movement speed) with only 1 less magazine slot. These days I actually find that I can survive moderately well with light armor, so I actually prefer light to medium for the easier chase potential and no MD for easier weapon swapping. This all comes down to preference and skill level. If you find you are dying too easy use the B12, find you are running out of ammo too quickly? Get the mag pouches and medium armor. Find you have plenty of survivability? Forgo the B12 and medium armor in favor of light and get 2 mag pouches and the health HUD.

~HEALTH VISOR HUD~: Personally, I would make it a point to grab the HUD health visor instead of the motion when spending points as it is super useful to make split decisions about your surroundings. Is everyone super low so they are prolly not going to charge in with you? HUD let's you know. Is that person perma or just downed and needs a save? HUD is there for you and them. Medic dealing with like 3 people about to go perma, HUD has your back. Rush over and CPR 2 of them while they focus on the third.

~Motion Detector~: You can completely skip the motion if you want and just buy your masterkey shotgun here and now or grab an extra AP mag (EDIT: I'd buy a health HUD instead of a motion with your points and get the MD from req), honestly the motion is completely optional and I could see many people just foregoing it completely in favor of swapping weapons mid fight more efficiently but I like it cause it provides useful information such as; chasing xenos, noticing flanks moments earlier allowing you to either warn others or respond, knowing whether or not and where xenos are as you are removing walls with the masterkey, determining whether a lurker/runner is about to gank your ass giving you hopefully enough time to respond while transitioning to the front, and the list goes on. IMO it's such a useful tool for the modern UNGA and it earns its place for the most part. If you decide to use a MD grab one from req.

Third, walk into squad prep and grab yourself the M41 and the M37. The M41 mk2 is the go to weapon for this build and we will have the masterkey on it while the M37 is the backup/close range weapon of choice. We want to put a bayonet on both weapons so we can clear walls and resin sacks as we go along with the front without taking a year and a half without them. Now walk over to the squad requisitions and grab yourself 4 attachies: A gyro and red dot for the M37, and a rail light and masterkey for the M41. Grab brown webbing if possible cause this is where we are going to store all our healing items and we want the 5 slots over 3 for this purpose. Now attach everything to the guns, load up on M41 mags in your pouches and armor and fill your shotgun loading rig with buckshot as this will give us plenty of ammunition for the Masterkey to remove walls and doors all day long to keep the push rolling as well as supply ammo for the M37 backup. Throw your flask, bandages, tricord and MRE into the brown webbing.

EDIT: After more experience with the M41 I find that it is actually better to forgo the reflex in favor of a rail light. The increase in vision range when chasing xenos into the dark can be the difference between a kill or walking into a trap. The loss of the reflex doesn't actually effect spread or accuracy too much to make a difference practically so I find the rail light to be more useful. Also, if you are finding you constantly lose your M41 it may be worth considering leaving the MD behind and putting a magharn on your M41 so it doesn't get lost.

~Wiggle room~: Honestly you can do without the gyro and red dot on the M37 but I like them for a number of reasons. The gyro allows you to one hand the shotty with more reliability, the accuracy buff and decrease on scatter by 5 is pretty massive if you don't manage to get the PB or you are just bad with PB's in general like I am. You could go with an angled grip if you plan on wielding before you fire but I find in the heat of the moment I tend to either forget or botch the execution plus I like the no movement speed penalty of 1 handed without the need to even think about wielding. Another thing you could do is get mostly buckshot in your shell rig and maybe get a bit of flechette for backup. The reason for this is let's say for some reason you get destroyed and you're just left with your fallback M37 after your M41 gets melted or hypothetically some shitter Pvt. takes your M41 while you are being revived (this happens to me daily I swear). You are hurt and slow so the flechette will be more effective at range when facing T3 where you are unable or it's unfeasible to close on targets. Flechette is kinda niche and it could sorta work in this build as a fallback but honestly I just prefer to take all buck to keep it simple as well as for the stun for smaller xenos.

Lastly, you now walk your ass over to medbay and grab the last piece of your gear. When you enter medbay if they have not already made or started making Unga, point at the large capacity tank, throw yourself on the ground using rest, and start screaming like a 7 year old destitute child for someone to make your sippy juice. After someone eventually complies with your demands fill up your flask with whatever concoction they make and put it in your brown webbing. We like the tricord injector over the pills if possible so we don't have to drop anything while we heal. The pills can be accessed from the satchel without needing to pull the pack out but from webbing you cannot do the same, you'll have to drop the packet and pullout a pill then swallow it pick it back up and place it back into the brown webbing.

EDIT: it is important to note that the tricord injector obtained in squad prep does not have a wind up time when using meaning it is superior to the ones found in the medkits in medbay as those have a wind up. Be sure to purchase the first aid pouch when gearing up as I believe that is the only place to obtain the fast injector tricord

Now a bit more on how you should fight and some nuances. Your main weapon is the M41, you shoot from range and swap to the underbarrel shotty when you need to remove dangerous doors or walls or just make space in tight corridors or to flank from otherwise inaccessible directions. The Masterkey is also Boss at putting smaller benoids into the dirt where they belong, see a runner or lurker or woyer dragging someone off? Fire into their fucking face within 2 tiles with the masterkey and make them SIT THE FUCK DOWN, while you swap to your regular scheduled M41 bullet hail and put a couple rounds into them before they can stand. If you want to get good at this I recommend making a macro to toggle under barrel attachment for fast swapping to allow you to get that shot or 2 into the xeno before it gets up. The biggest weakness of the M41 I find is close range as PBing with the M41 gives you like a 2 second attack delay and that is the main reason why we took the M37. You can use the Masterkey to PB with the M41 but it will be significantly weaker compared to the M37. If you find yourself pounced or in close range to some big angry xeno you want to use the M37 and blast, that will serve you much better than trying to either pick up the M41 or shoot past the xeno that is now circling you. This is where I would honestly say it's preferable to not have the motion as you can holster your M41 and switch to the M37 for close corridor fighting, thus adapting to the changing combat conditions. Your meds should keep you going long enough to see a few poor engagements with no medical support. You get fucked up? Unga and tricord to heal up and get back in there. Broken bones from a bullshit lurker pounce that crippled you in 2 hits and left you bleeding? Splints and bandages so you're not hobbling to the nearest medic who has 4 other people screaming at him. Still low on blood after being in multiple engagements or someone else is hungry and thus slowed way down? MRE to save the day.

~TLDR~ and recap: You have your medium armor and 2 large mag pouches with M41 mags, a health HUD, Your shotgun scabbard with M37 (gyro, bayo, red dot) inside and shell loading rig with buckshot, your motion on your belt(optional) and your M41 (masterkey, rail light, bayo) in your hand, your brown webbing filled with the flask (unga), the bandages, the MRE, the tricord injector, and the splints. You are ready for whatever may come your way. Go attend brief or get up to whatever shenanigans before you deploy.

And there it is, the 'All American Unga'. Able to preform well in almost all circumstances including flanking, fortification clearing, direct push, any distance combat, longevity and sustainability. Not flashy but it get's the job done.

Think the build is shit? Got improvements or criticism? Want to say who the hell cares? Reply down below.
    Last edited by Santiago Delgado; 02-12-2022 at 10:28 PM. Reason: CURRENT LOADOUT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No HPR shit build
    The laziest Bravo medic main that used to only use a flamer.
    LCPL George ‘swamp’ Grills [Bravo (Med)] says, "What a libtard lmao”
    Now I main Alpha ahhhhh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no m4a3 shit build

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good build but I don't think both guns need bayo. Maybe extended barrel on the rifle?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Build_R_ View Post
    Good build but I don't think both guns need bayo. Maybe extended barrel on the rifle?
    And this is where I disagree with you, now I'm going to rant here and explain why. Personally I think the extended barrel on the M41 is a noob trap. Not implying anything and I'm not meaning this to be disrespectful either just want to explain my opinion.

When you put an extended barrel on an M41 what are you giving up and what are you possibly gaining? The accuracy of an M41 with a UBS a reflex and a bayonet is 23.2, which is already high. Guess what the accuracy of an M41 with a UBS a reflex and an extended barrel is? It's 26.4, a mere 3.2 points higher or roughly 14% or so more accurate (I checked both actual numbers in game). Yes it increases bullet velocity but how many xenos do you know who can dodge bullet sprites at normal speed? Is increasing the bullet sprite speed going to make you more effective in combat? No.

Now how many hits does it take to clear a resin node with a M41 with a bayo? 2 hits. How many with extended barrel? A whopping 7 hits. a 350% increase in the amount of time it takes to clear a single resin node. Is a increase of accuracy of 14% worth an increase of time spent clearing nodes by 350%? I'm not even going to test how many hits it takes to clear a wall or door. I feel it is not a worthwhile decision to add the chance to maybe hit a dodge heavy xeno with another shot or 2 over the consistent reliable clearing that a bayo gives.

But Santiago, I hear you say, just have your shotgun be the clearing weapon. This is where I smack you like batman does to robin in that meme, and say WHY?! You want to add another step before you're ready to fire your m41? Picture this you're clearing weeds with both weapons drawn and the shotgun (or boot knife) is selected, a spitter pops around the corner and spits at you or some other xeno appears at the edge of your vision. Are you going to shoot at it from range with your buckshot? No. So instead of just simply shooting at said xeno you now have to put away your shotgun, swap hands, and wield your M41. Cool, you could have already put a round or 3 down range on that xendigo by then. Lord forbid the server doesn't lag in that moment and eat an input, or you hit the wrong key, maybe you just wield the M41 immediately so you drop your shotgun you're gonna have to go pickup, you're now fumbling around with another weapon when you could have just kept it simple and put a bayo on your M41.

Moving on, yes, you got the masterkey to help with walls and doors but that doesn't mean your ammo is unlimited. If you spend all your buckshot clearing unnecessary walls and doors you will be out of buckshot very quickly and suddenly your fallback weapon only has 10 shots and you've lost the ability to flank through walls and clear rapidly. Cool, go hike your ass back to the FOB to get more buckshot or pray one of the corpses littered on the ground has ammo you want. Congratulations you are now wasting even more time. The point is that the tradeoff is not worth it at all.
    Last edited by Santiago Delgado; 09-10-2021 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Me can't word good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where does the motion detector go if your belt is filled with the shotshell belt? Do you just hold it in your spare hand?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrHorizons View Post
    Where does the motion detector go if your belt is filled with the shotshell belt? Do you just hold it in your spare hand?
    When I said belt I meant the slot you holster your weapon in just left of your ID. If you carry the MD you cannot holster your M41. This build is kinda old now so I might revise it to make it current.

Edit: I spent a bit of time updating it to current loadout methods. If parts seem weird or a bit off its prolly cause I didn't want to rewrite the whole damn thing so I just edited it a bit.
    Last edited by Santiago Delgado; 02-12-2022 at 10:26 PM.