Byond ID?
    Lunarflu

CM Character?
    Amir Al-shabbah Alomera

Are you 16 or older?
    Yes

Timezone
    UST+1

On average, how many hours are you available per week to moderate?

Qualifications

Do you have any previous experience in being staff (not just SS13)?
    Yes. Discord staff in multiple servers, subreddit mod, XRF mod.

Do you play any servers aside from CM-SS13?
    XRF

Provide links to any previous Colonial Marines applications that you've made:
    Are you currently a staff member elsewhere (not just SS13)? If so, where?
    Yes. Admin at Middleground (370 member discord); Mod at XRF

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on Colonial Marines?
    No

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on ANY server? If so, which server, when, and what for?
    No

Are you familiar with the chat program Discord (its use is required)?
    Yes

Communication is a vital part of being a Moderator. Are you willing to actively do so with the team?
    Absolutely!

Common Staff Situations

A player randomly shoots someone at round start and MPs have detained him.
    I PM both him, the MPs, and any main witnesses to ask about the situation, and check his notes in the meantime. If it was an accident, I give him tips on being more careful (safety, holster weapon, when to use gun in situations like red alert). If it appeared to be grief I verbally warn + note him, escalate depending on his history.

A player ahelps that a predator has violated the honor code when killing him, what should you do?
    I recommend he makes a forum report within 48 hours, honor code stuff is not a mod issue. Contacting the WL councilor is also a good option.

You see a player walking around the ship naked and clearly lost at roundstart.
    PM him rules + quickstart guide, recommend help such as mentors, easy roles to play (standard marine). I’ll spawn in as a SEA, it’s important to get newcomers off to a strong start.

A player is being very rude to you in adminhelps, calling you names and arguing everything you say. He is requesting to speak to an Admin+ staff member.
    Rule 0.2, do not argue. I tell him to cut out his behavior and recommend that he files a staff report. He doesn’t get to pick and choose staff members. If he continues after the clear warning, I apply a note and escalate depending on his history.

A player ahelps that a marine is named 'John Doe', how do you deal with this?
    I thank him for ahelping, never hurts to show gratitude. John Doe is against Rule 9, names should not be from famous people or from widely known sources. I PM John Doe and explain this, and ask him to change his name to something else. For example, he can use the funny name randomizer feature in the character editor, it gives you interesting results sometimes.

You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green and there has been no threat to the ship in the round at this point.
    If all he’s doing is running around, MPs can handle it ICly. If he starts hurting anybody, that’s when I would intervene and PM him etc.

A Marine ahelps that they were killed by a survivor. It is early round, the Marines have just landed, and the survivor claims that they were outright hostile to all Marines from the get-go and openly stated their intentions. How do you deal with this?
    Thank him for the ahelp, aheal the marine if it’s allowed. Survivors are on the marines’ side, doesn’t matter if he’s hostile. I PM the survivor and tell them this, they are allowed to act a little crazy since there are xenos present, but being outright hostile to marines is not permitted. Note, escalate depending on history.

You receive an ahelp from a player stating that an MP has locked them up in permanent confinement for running into Requisitions and taking an attachment that was laying around.
    I'll PM the MP to see what led him to make that decision, if any other charges were added for resisting arrest, contraband, disorderly conduct in confinement. Either the player’s leaving out critical information, or the MP is not following marine law. If the player is at fault, I explain what new charges he brought against himself or why he was mistaken, and how to avoid them in the future. If the MP is at fault I note him for breaching ML (30 minutes for theft is 300% the normal charge), tell him to be more careful and to refer to ML if he is at all unsure of jail times. Escalate as necessary depending on his notes.

The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
    It’s not my place to tell the xenos / marines to attack, that’s their decision, if 34 players feel that they want to wait, let them wait. Marines / xenos could be RPing, there’s no need to interrupt them. Now, if it seriously starts dragging for hours and hours like this, with literally no action, that’s when I’ll ask another mod what they think, should we prod them, via QM etc. I'd try to use something IC.

You are playing as a medic, and another medic overdoses all your patients and prevent marines from being revived. It seems like it may be on purpose. How do you deal with this situation?
    Since I’m involved, I have a conflict of interest (and would be frustrated since I am involved, so I would be biased). I ahelp another staff member so they can handle it, provide the evidence I have since I’m a witness.

The round ends, a Marine starts shooting a hostile CLF member and the CLF member ahelps about being killed after the round ended.
    EORG only applies to generating logs with friendlies, since CLF is not friendly to marines, it’s not EORG. I tell him this and explain that EORG is mostly in place to avoid marines suddenly turning on one another and killing everyone in sight, ruining the RP.

A Marine is running around disarming, punching and stealing gear at round start. You receive an ahelp from one of the victims.
    I thank him for ahelping. Sounds like griefing without a valid roleplay reason, disrupting the round start, depending on the severity may count as Rule 2 – Major shenanigans. I PM the offender and explain to him that while some minor shenanigans are ok, constantly stealing gear, disarming multiple marines, punching multiple marines is not ok and is LRP, it’s not something a marine would do. I note him, and depending on his history I escalate to a ban.

You receive an ahelp from a Marine saying that he was killed by another Marine. When you ask the murderer why, he said it was because the other Marine had punched him.
    I thank him for the ahelp and PM the murderer to get more info. Escalation goes general melee->dangerous melee->lethal weapons. Skipping from punching to shooting someone is an example of incorrect escalation. If it was an honest mistake, for example if the marine was low health before getting killed by one shot, I’ll tell him to be more careful and link him our escalation rules, suggesting to him to use fists, THEN knives, THEN guns if necessary. If it was multiple gunshots / magdump I note/ban depending on his history as well. If need be, I aheal the killed marine.

You find out that there is an improper mutiny occuring. The mutineers are rallying together and preparing to storm the CIC. How would you attempt to resolve this situation?
    “If the mutiny does not have a valid reason, it can’t happen.” I use MOOC and say 1) the mutiny is improper, and 2) mutineers should ahelp with a WHY (what led them to mutiny) and a WHO (who is partaking in the mutiny) along with a LEADER. This way they know exactly how to correctly engage in a mutiny if they wish to do so. If they do it the proper way, awesome. If not, I warn them a few times using MOOC, and if they still do not do things the proper way I asleep everyone involved.

There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it.
    Rule 3, Racism is strictly prohibited. If it’s just lighthearted jokes, the context isn’t harmful, and they’re keeping it between themselves, then I’ll see if it subsides or progresses, and tell the ahelper that while it’s minor, I’ll be keeping an eye on it. If it’s clearly use of slurs and obvious racism, I immediately tell them verbally to cut out the racism. If they continue, I note/ban depending on history (I will be more severe with racism in general, especially if they do not stop).

A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.
    Rule 4, typical griefing. It takes a good while to actually fully kill multiple marines, along with aiming, avoiding return fire etc. I aheal the marines involved and check his notes – If he’s new I give him a 1-day ban, if he has a history, I might skip to a 7 day for history of blatant griefing. I just need some experience before I can accurately judge when to skip to a larger ban, it’s not something I’m comfortable doing at the moment.

You see a player playing a Xeno larva/chestburster run towards the frontlines straight from the Xeno hive the second they burst and die.
    Rule 2, Larva. Larva offer nothing in terms of HP, Offense, or Support. They cannot build, spit, attack, tank or provide pheros, and therefore are incompatible with the frontline on every metric. I check notes, and PM him to tell him this is unrealistic, poor behavior – He would be better served forming a battle plan with the other larva or getting information from the Queen about the frontline. I link Rule 2 to him if necessary. I apply a note and escalate depending on history.

You see a Xeno memeing, saying AYYLMAO, REEEEEE etc in hivemind chat, as well as insulting the Queen.
    Rule 2, Language and Rule 3, profane language (with queen). This language is not allowed and is abysmally LRP, especially insulting the queen. I PM and tell him this. I give a note and escalate to ban depending on existing notes.

A Xeno player calls the shuttle a "dropship". A different Xeno player ahelps that it's low role play to call it a "dropship".
    Rule 2, xeno roleplay standards. Dropship is 100% ok. I tell the ahelper it is not LRP and explain that the hivemind allows terms like “tank”, it is an English translation of their thoughts, it’s not realistic to expect xenos to say, “metallic moving firing loud box with marines”. I check if the ahelper is new (via notes, asking him) in which case I can provide more assistance if needed, linking him the rule page so he can take a more in-depth look at the roleplay guidelines.

A Command staff player at briefing near round-start mentions there are aliens on the planet. You receive an ahelp from a marine regarding this.
    I thank him for the ahelp. Marines do not know that Xenos are planetside at roundstart. If he mentions Xenos explicitly (and has no way of knowing beyond metagaming), I PM him to explain this very clearly and give a note. If he has recent metagaming notes I probably up him to a 3-hour ban, possibly notify a CO council member if it's the CO, if only to see their point of view and to learn what punishment is most appropriate. Metagaming ruins the fun for everyone involved.

You find a Marine killing another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself. There are two other marines in the pod along with him.
    Rule 10, exceptional circumstances. I’ve seen a similar situation myself, a marine blocking another marine in the dropship doors (xenos were on the other side). Door marine died, but with his sacrifice the rest of the marines were saved, there were respects paid, overall, a good RP outcome. The EVAC pod is a similar situation, xenos are coming, either you kill someone, or you die. Just to be sure I check his notes, make sure he doesn’t have a history of griefing or abusing this rule – If he DOES, but isn’t griefing NOW, I PM him to reinforce that he made a good call this time. No harm in giving him a pat on the back for learning and improving.

A player insults you after you warn them for a minor issue and begins ranting in LOOC or dchat about staff and mentions you specifically, referring to you as an 'idiot' and a 'retard'.
    I tell him clearly to cut it out, and check his notes. If he calms down, perfect, I PM him to give him some options if he feels I’ve made an error (staff report, manager, talk some more with him etc). If he continues after a verbal warning, I give him at minimum a three hour ban so he can cool down (rule 3, profane RP), and escalate depending on his notes.

A player ahelps saying he was hugged by a Xeno when he was ssd, and wants the larva be removed from him via admin powers. How do you handle the ahelp?
    SSD is YOUR responsibility. When you SSD you are helpless, so it is common sense to SSD in a safe place (at least behind cades, marines, etc). I PM, check the notes of the ahelper and tell them this, and I provide some better places (FOB, inside defended buildings, behind cades, close to LZ, inside APC) for him to SSD in the future. If it seems like he’s consistently making mistakes or doesn’t understand how the game works, I’ll PM him the quickstart guide so he can learn some basics, maybe even have fun.

You see a fellow staff member give wrong information in an Adminhelp or incorrectly enforce a rule.
    I bring it up in private with them (so they don’t feel the need to be defensive – less drama this way) and point out what I think they could slightly modify for a more optimal outcome (citing applicable rules). If they’re unwilling to accept some gentle advice then, depending on the severity, I might take it to management or a head. I don’t interfere with the enforcement – If I am correct, then the manager/head’s decision will reflect that.

Two staff are arguing in msay if an ahelp is breaking a rule. Because the staff who took the ahelp thinks the player broke a rule, they ban the player based on their interpretation of the rules, with others thinking the person was fine. What would you do?
    First, I investigate a little, acquire more information. Who said what? What do the rules say?. If it seems to be clearly in violation of the rules, I bring it up with management. It will be a good learning experience for me as a tmod to see how management approaches the situation, and doing it this way won’t cause unnecessary drama.

Why would you like to become a moderator?
    CM has the most potential out of any SS13 server, and SS13 has the most potential out of any game I have played to be incredibly fun.

It's why I'm starting to delve a little into coding/gitlab, I have massive dreams for the depth the game could achieve.

Moderator is just a way for me to contribute time to helping players learn, so that we can slowly gain new players and make the game even more enjoyable.

In your opinion, what is the most important quality for a moderator?
    My answer's changed a bit since last time.

I think mods need to maintain a connection with the community, it's very easy to become distanced from the members, something I want very much to avoid. Instead of moderator being, like, a "job", it should be a tool you use to help guide the community along the most enjoyable long-term pathway.

Anything else you
    if nanu sees this, please for the love of god fix that spelling error with beakers, it's been here for seven years nanu, i cannot take it any more...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for app// -1 for hating on beakers tho RIP

Admin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Much better answers than last time, it's clear you studied. +1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

this isn’t green You definitely pull a heckin’ amount of weight on the discord, would like to see you transition it to the game +1

Senior Administrator and Mentor Overseer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lunarflu View Post
    A player randomly shoots someone at round start and MPs have detained him.
    I PM both him, the MPs, and any main witnesses to ask about the situation, and check his notes in the meantime. If it was an accident, I give him tips on being more careful (safety, holster weapon, when to use gun in situations like red alert). If it appeared to be grief I verbally warn + note him, escalate depending on his history.
    Good answer.

A player ahelps that a predator has violated the honor code when killing him, what should you do?
    I recommend he makes a forum report within 48 hours, honor code stuff is not a mod issue. Contacting the WL councilor is also a good option.
    Good enough. You may help investigating the situation to make the Councils life easier. There is also more than one councilor in any white list, typically about 5. As a mod you do not really get to make internal reports for WL matters. However, if someone who is in the relevant council happens to be online you can ask for them to handle the issue, or to help you, especially if they are a mod themselves too. While sending them to make a PR is never the wrong answer, and the best default, in some cases where the player complaining simply hasn't read the WL rules, it might be better to ask them to have a look at those first before proceeding to a PR. Also do keep in mind that offenses made while playing a WL character can still be server rules issues, which you do enforce, such the CO lrp announcement.

You see a player walking around the ship naked and clearly lost at roundstart.
    PM him rules + quickstart guide, recommend help such as mentors, easy roles to play (standard marine). I’ll spawn in as a SEA, it’s important to get newcomers off to a strong start.
    Good answer. Keep in mind that a lot of noobies dont know how to reply to pms and often miss LOOC text too, let alone know how to reply in it. However, you cant spawn in multiple SEA's normally, you also cant send yourself to lobby, you HAVE TO ask someone else to do it for you, and mechanically you cant spawn in stuff, best thing you can do mechanically is help them from aghost and pms and though mentor say to get the existing sea to do it (if one is there). Of course you can ask an admin for help with the mechanical restrictions.

A player is being very rude to you in adminhelps, calling you names and arguing everything you say. He is requesting to speak to an Admin+ staff member.
    Rule 0.2, do not argue. I tell him to cut out his behavior and recommend that he files a staff report. He doesn’t get to pick and choose staff members. If he continues after the clear warning, I apply a note and escalate depending on his history.
    Good answer, you may also issue a ban outright in this case rather then one based on escalation from note history.

A player ahelps that a marine is named 'John Doe', how do you deal with this?
    I thank him for ahelping, never hurts to show gratitude. John Doe is against Rule 9, names should not be from famous people or from widely known sources. I PM John Doe and explain this, and ask him to change his name to something else. For example, he can use the funny name randomizer feature in the character editor, it gives you interesting results sometimes.
    Decent answer, but do keep in mind to note them and that you can also change it for them this round.

You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green and there has been no threat to the ship in the round at this point.
    If all he’s doing is running around, MPs can handle it ICly. If he starts hurting anybody, that’s when I would intervene and PM him etc.
    OK answer. Frontlining as ship side roles is against the rules, and you may want to intervene if/when they do that.

A Marine ahelps that they were killed by a survivor. It is early round, the Marines have just landed, and the survivor claims that they were outright hostile to all Marines from the get-go and openly stated their intentions. How do you deal with this?
    Thank him for the ahelp, aheal the marine if it’s allowed. Survivors are on the marines’ side, doesn’t matter if he’s hostile. I PM the survivor and tell them this, they are allowed to act a little crazy since there are xenos present, but being outright hostile to marines is not permitted. Note, escalate depending on history.
    At the moment the rare CLF survivor spawn, I believe counts as a hostile faction and would be allowed to, but in all other cases the answer is correct.

You receive an ahelp from a player stating that an MP has locked them up in permanent confinement for running into Requisitions and taking an attachment that was laying around.
    I'll PM the MP to see what led him to make that decision, if any other charges were added for resisting arrest, contraband, disorderly conduct in confinement. Either the player’s leaving out critical information, or the MP is not following marine law. If the player is at fault, I explain what new charges he brought against himself or why he was mistaken, and how to avoid them in the future. If the MP is at fault I note him for breaching ML (30 minutes for theft is 300% the normal charge), tell him to be more careful and to refer to ML if he is at all unsure of jail times. Escalate as necessary depending on his notes.
    The mod side of it is correct, the ML side of it however seems to be somewhat lacking. Perma can only be issued for Capital Crimes, and none of what you listed would be one. The spirit of the answer overall is in the right direction just the specifics are not quite right.

The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
    It’s not my place to tell the xenos / marines to attack, that’s their decision, if 34 players feel that they want to wait, let them wait. Marines / xenos could be RPing, there’s no need to interrupt them. Now, if it seriously starts dragging for hours and hours like this, with literally no action, that’s when I’ll ask another mod what they think, should we prod them, via QM etc. I'd try to use something IC.
    Interesting answer, quite different from the usual answers but well reasoned. You will be the SOLE mod at some point (especially given your time zone) and have no one else to fall back on, so you will have to make that call yourself, rather then pawn it off on someone else. Also be careful to what 'something ic' means as that phrasing sounds like you are considering stuff that is in the event territory.

You are playing as a medic, and another medic overdoses all your patients and prevent marines from being revived. It seems like it may be on purpose. How do you deal with this situation?
    Since I’m involved, I have a conflict of interest (and would be frustrated since I am involved, so I would be biased). I ahelp another staff member so they can handle it, provide the evidence I have since I’m a witness.
    Good answer. Tho keep in mind that you will be sole mod too at some point, and there are some extra rules in such a situation.

The round ends, a Marine starts shooting a hostile CLF member and the CLF member ahelps about being killed after the round ended.
    EORG only applies to generating logs with friendlies, since CLF is not friendly to marines, it’s not EORG. I tell him this and explain that EORG is mostly in place to avoid marines suddenly turning on one another and killing everyone in sight, ruining the RP.
    Decent answer.

A Marine is running around disarming, punching and stealing gear at round start. You receive an ahelp from one of the victims.
    I thank him for ahelping. Sounds like griefing without a valid roleplay reason, disrupting the round start, depending on the severity may count as Rule 2 – Major shenanigans. I PM the offender and explain to him that while some minor shenanigans are ok, constantly stealing gear, disarming multiple marines, punching multiple marines is not ok and is LRP, it’s not something a marine would do. I note him, and depending on his history I escalate to a ban.
    Good answer.

You receive an ahelp from a Marine saying that he was killed by another Marine. When you ask the murderer why, he said it was because the other Marine had punched him.
    I thank him for the ahelp and PM the murderer to get more info. Escalation goes general melee->dangerous melee->lethal weapons. Skipping from punching to shooting someone is an example of incorrect escalation. If it was an honest mistake, for example if the marine was low health before getting killed by one shot, I’ll tell him to be more careful and link him our escalation rules, suggesting to him to use fists, THEN knives, THEN guns if necessary. If it was multiple gunshots / magdump I note/ban depending on his history as well. If need be, I aheal the killed marine.
    OK answer. Keep in mind the punching knives guns is an example/guideline for the rule rather than the rule, and it makes sense to ignore in some cases, in both directions. A good example for ignoring it is if the 2 players are having a pistol duel. It would be silly to ask them to punch first. Weather or not the duel is LRP or not in that instance is another matter, but it would be fine from the IE rule perspective.

You find out that there is an improper mutiny occuring. The mutineers are rallying together and preparing to storm the CIC. How would you attempt to resolve this situation?
    “If the mutiny does not have a valid reason, it can’t happen.” I use MOOC and say 1) the mutiny is improper, and 2) mutineers should ahelp with a WHY (what led them to mutiny) and a WHO (who is partaking in the mutiny) along with a LEADER. This way they know exactly how to correctly engage in a mutiny if they wish to do so. If they do it the proper way, awesome. If not, I warn them a few times using MOOC, and if they still do not do things the proper way I asleep everyone involved.
    Decent answer. Good answer on the procedure, tho i disagree with the part where you are still willing to reward them with a mutiny after they failed to follow procedure, especially by failing to even do the minimum to inform that one is happening. I presume you left out the bit where you would note the leader for the improper mutiny, the other participants are up to you.

There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it.
    Rule 3, Racism is strictly prohibited. If it’s just lighthearted jokes, the context isn’t harmful, and they’re keeping it between themselves, then I’ll see if it subsides or progresses, and tell the ahelper that while it’s minor, I’ll be keeping an eye on it. If it’s clearly use of slurs and obvious racism, I immediately tell them verbally to cut out the racism. If they continue, I note/ban depending on history (I will be more severe with racism in general, especially if they do not stop).
    Decent answer, especially as i know from how you moderate discord for context as to what you would consider minor or such.

A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.
    Rule 4, typical griefing. It takes a good while to actually fully kill multiple marines, along with aiming, avoiding return fire etc. I aheal the marines involved and check his notes – If he’s new I give him a 1-day ban, if he has a history, I might skip to a 7 day for history of blatant griefing. I just need some experience before I can accurately judge when to skip to a larger ban, it’s not something I’m comfortable doing at the moment.
    Decent answer, easily addressable in training.

You see a player playing a Xeno larva/chestburster run towards the frontlines straight from the Xeno hive the second they burst and die.
    Rule 2, Larva. Larva offer nothing in terms of HP, Offense, or Support. They cannot build, spit, attack, tank or provide pheros, and therefore are incompatible with the frontline on every metric. I check notes, and PM him to tell him this is unrealistic, poor behavior – He would be better served forming a battle plan with the other larva or getting information from the Queen about the frontline. I link Rule 2 to him if necessary. I apply a note and escalate depending on history.
    Grate answer.

You see a Xeno memeing, saying AYYLMAO, REEEEEE etc in hivemind chat, as well as insulting the Queen.
    Rule 2, Language and Rule 3, profane language (with queen). This language is not allowed and is abysmally LRP, especially insulting the queen. I PM and tell him this. I give a note and escalate to ban depending on existing notes.
    Good answer.

A Xeno player calls the shuttle a "dropship". A different Xeno player ahelps that it's low role play to call it a "dropship".
    Rule 2, xeno roleplay standards. Dropship is 100% ok. I tell the ahelper it is not LRP and explain that the hivemind allows terms like “tank”, it is an English translation of their thoughts, it’s not realistic to expect xenos to say, “metallic moving firing loud box with marines”. I check if the ahelper is new (via notes, asking him) in which case I can provide more assistance if needed, linking him the rule page so he can take a more in-depth look at the roleplay guidelines.
    Great answer.

A Command staff player at briefing near round-start mentions there are aliens on the planet. You receive an ahelp from a marine regarding this.
    I thank him for the ahelp. Marines do not know that Xenos are planetside at roundstart. If he mentions Xenos explicitly (and has no way of knowing beyond metagaming), I PM him to explain this very clearly and give a note. If he has recent metagaming notes I probably up him to a 3-hour ban, possibly notify a CO council member if it's the CO, if only to see their point of view and to learn what punishment is most appropriate. Metagaming ruins the fun for everyone involved.
    Great answer. However you do not issue sanctions on behalf of the Council, that is the Senators job, and they have their own considerations to decide on this matter. As a general rule, Councils operate independently of mods in terms of the policies they wish to implement and enforce. As mods we really only provide logs and help them out with investigations. Equally, the Councils have no say in server rules enforcement. We don't normally talk about to non-staff about another players punishments, but notably a lot of the CO Council happens to be staff too.

You find a Marine killing another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself. There are two other marines in the pod along with him.
    Rule 10, exceptional circumstances. I’ve seen a similar situation myself, a marine blocking another marine in the dropship doors (xenos were on the other side). Door marine died, but with his sacrifice the rest of the marines were saved, there were respects paid, overall, a good RP outcome. The EVAC pod is a similar situation, xenos are coming, either you kill someone, or you die. Just to be sure I check his notes, make sure he doesn’t have a history of griefing or abusing this rule – If he DOES, but isn’t griefing NOW, I PM him to reinforce that he made a good call this time. No harm in giving him a pat on the back for learning and improving.
    Good answer.

A player insults you after you warn them for a minor issue and begins ranting in LOOC or dchat about staff and mentions you specifically, referring to you as an 'idiot' and a 'retard'.
    I tell him clearly to cut it out, and check his notes. If he calms down, perfect, I PM him to give him some options if he feels I’ve made an error (staff report, manager, talk some more with him etc). If he continues after a verbal warning, I give him at minimum a three hour ban so he can cool down (rule 3, profane RP), and escalate depending on his notes.
    Good answer.

A player ahelps saying he was hugged by a Xeno when he was ssd, and wants the larva be removed from him via admin powers. How do you handle the ahelp?
    SSD is YOUR responsibility. When you SSD you are helpless, so it is common sense to SSD in a safe place (at least behind cades, marines, etc). I PM, check the notes of the ahelper and tell them this, and I provide some better places (FOB, inside defended buildings, behind cades, close to LZ, inside APC) for him to SSD in the future. If it seems like he’s consistently making mistakes or doesn’t understand how the game works, I’ll PM him the quickstart guide so he can learn some basics, maybe even have fun.
    Good answer, tho keep in mind TKO will get you even if you are in the FOB, so it happens quite a bit to be abducted even if you ssd in a 'good spot'.

You see a fellow staff member give wrong information in an Adminhelp or incorrectly enforce a rule.
    I bring it up in private with them (so they don’t feel the need to be defensive – less drama this way) and point out what I think they could slightly modify for a more optimal outcome (citing applicable rules). If they’re unwilling to accept some gentle advice then, depending on the severity, I might take it to management or a head. I don’t interfere with the enforcement – If I am correct, then the manager/head’s decision will reflect that.
    Good answer.

Two staff are arguing in msay if an ahelp is breaking a rule. Because the staff who took the ahelp thinks the player broke a rule, they ban the player based on their interpretation of the rules, with others thinking the person was fine. What would you do?
    First, I investigate a little, acquire more information. Who said what? What do the rules say?. If it seems to be clearly in violation of the rules, I bring it up with management. It will be a good learning experience for me as a tmod to see how management approaches the situation, and doing it this way won’t cause unnecessary drama.
    Good answer, especially if taken in the context of the previous question.

Why would you like to become a moderator?
    CM has the most potential out of any SS13 server, and SS13 has the most potential out of any game I have played to be incredibly fun.

It's why I'm starting to delve a little into coding/gitlab, I have massive dreams for the depth the game could achieve.

Moderator is just a way for me to contribute time to helping players learn, so that we can slowly gain new players and make the game even more enjoyable.
    As far as i know, its not possible to be both a dev and mod at the same time at this moment. You may still be a contributor however.

Overall your answers are good. Much better than last time.

Your ingame notes clearly show a tread of improvement, and a lack of any recent ones. As such i see no issues there.

In regards to ML, I suspect this will be a hard topic for you and that you do not seem to posses much experience with it. Keep in mind that you will be expected to know this to about the same standard as a CO. I have seen you play MP lately and it seems to be something you are actively addressing, but still seem to be quite a ways behind on. To this end I invite the mp mains to provide you with some additional Questions focused around ML if for no other reason than to give you and us an idea to how big that gap actually is. GOOD LUCK.

In regards to discord you have some warning there, which are also somewhat recent. Overall i think you did and do a good job at moderating the discord and personally that will be the thing i will most heavily weigh in regards to your application. Personally i happy with your work there, especially as i also see the behind the scenes half of it too.

Your community outreach and interactions i find to be rather big plus, and i know that is something you have actively done too and its not just part of the answers here and forgotten after the app gets accepted.

Given your work on discord, your community outreach and the general trend towards improvement in your notes and in regards to ml, I find the current gaps in ml, if there, to not be enough of a reason to dissuade me from giving a +1 right now, even if i frankly expect there to be a bit of a massacre in terms of the ml questions. Hope to see you with us.
    Last edited by ito726; 09-09-2021 at 06:28 PM.
    Trial Moderator: 2021-06-13 --- 2021-07-04
    Moderator: 2021-07-04 --- 2021-10-02
    Investigator: 2021-07-21 --- xxxx-xx-xx
    Trainer: 2021-08-20 --- xxxx-xx-xx
    Discord Staff: 2021-09-20 --- xxxx-xx-xx
    Senior Moderator: 2021-10-02 --- xxxx-xx-xx

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Extremely helpful answers, thanks! Even learned a tiny bit more of ML.

Quote Originally Posted by ito726 View Post
    OK answer. Frontlining as ship side roles is against the rules, and you may want to intervene if/when they do that.
    Good point; The general idea was, let things happen ICly if possible (MPs etc), keep an eye on him, maybe the MT is stashing weapons after hearing there are xenos (although I can also see how that would be contradictory, since you don't build defenses shipside until the xenos hijack the dropship.). If he looks like he's deploying, that's when I would jump in and tell him he can't be frontlining etc.

The mod side of it is correct, the ML side of it however seems to be somewhat lacking. Perma can only be issued for Capital Crimes, and none of what you listed would be one. The spirit of the answer overall is in the right direction just the specifics are not quite right.
    This was my mistake, the '30' number was floating around in my head, probably from the below question with 30 marines...
    So, yes. PERMANENT CONFINEMENT. It requires a CAPITAL CRIME to have been committed, which in this case, based on the ahelp, would most likely be from jailbreak/attempting escape. So I'd clear this up with the MP, "what did he do to merit permanent confinement?" , if the MP points to a capital crime then we're all good, if not then he's breaching ML etc.

Interesting answer, quite different from the usual answers but well reasoned. You will be the SOLE mod at some point (especially given your time zone) and have no one else to fall back on, so you will have to make that call yourself, rather then pawn it off on someone else. Also be careful to what 'something ic' means as that phrasing sounds like you are considering stuff that is in the event territory.
    Just to clarify, it's not that I WOULD DEFINITELY do something IC (I would certainly not do an event), just that I would rather use IC means (like queen mother) rather than suddenly going MOOC "hey, go and fight each other!".

Decent answer. Good answer on the procedure, tho i disagree with the part where you are still willing to reward them with a mutiny after they failed to follow procedure, especially by failing to even do the minimum to inform that one is happening. I presume you left out the bit where you would note the leader for the improper mutiny, the other participants are up to you.
    Completely fair. I've not yet witnessed a full length mutiny, so in my mind I just figured it would be less troublesome to REDIRECT the mutinous energy rather than CRIPPLE it completely. (Seems like a good chance for RP, etc, would be a shame in my opinion to cancel it completely, but then again, they chose MUTINY, they should know the rules...)

Great answer. However you do not issue sanctions on behalf of the Council, that is the Senators job, and they have their own considerations to decide on this matter. As a general rule, Councils operate independently of mods in terms of the policies they wish to implement and enforce. As mods we really only provide logs and help them out with investigations. Equally, the Councils have no say in server rules enforcement. We don't normally talk about to non-staff about another players punishments, but notably a lot of the CO Council happens to be staff too.
    Thanks for clearing the WL and council parts up, I think I understand better now - Staff and Council members can communicate, but the point of communication is more me relaying information and them making the WL decisions, as opposed to them teaching me how they make their judgements. (I was under the impression that council and staff were part of the same entity, if that makes sense)

As far as i know, its not possible to be both a dev and mod at the same time at this moment. You may still be a contributor however.
    Oh well, not the end of the world I suppose. As long as they approve my very valid and important Coffee OD MR...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    -1, Conduct on discord and the general lust for xenomorphs OOC doesn't give me high hopes as well as generally "On the gun" bans...Yeah honestly I see them as a liability as the ban first think later moderators typically lead to community drama as if people didn't by default distrust staff enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally have no issues with them. But I really can't sit and not put my word in about their discord staffing. I understand it can be tough moderating the mass crowd in the CM discords.

Lunarflu gives off an extremely SJW vibe which isn't inherently wrong but has caused chaos multiple times in discord when their response to a simple joke is unbelievably harsh and intolerant.

No one is defended hard slurs and genuine advocation for horrible things, but clear jokes earning bans is not something I want to see continue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you wish for the community to be a better place, and that's a great thing, but. I don't think you have the integrity of someone I can trust to have good conduct and be beneficial for CM's community when handling matters. I think staff need to have some level of understanding of the community, which your out of touch approaches to others in CM shows you lack. -1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    -1 based on their discord volunteer antics.

If Lunarflu gets mod and goes off the chain the same way he is on discord right now, banning/warning people left and right over saying 'queer' or for reacting with "king" emojis to a post, in which their unnamed trans (not an insult) manager friend says they're a queen, I can guarantee every manager will wake up to 20 more messages each and every single morning.

This person is also the sole reason reason why you had to add the "we ban people for blocking our discord volunteer" role..