User Tag List

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Removal of MPs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me when people have been preaching how MPs stand between the server and complete chaos for years because they never had the capacity to just admit they wanted to grief marines without playing xeno.

The fact that everything is going smoothly perfectly demonstrates how unnecessary MPs are to keep CM on track, the only question is where to take it from here - either rework MPs with a new ruleset that lends itself to being more positively involved with the marine side, or keep them out of the game and figure out where to fill in the gaps with OOC rules (for example, you don't need it for someone taking someone else's boots, or breaking a window in some random corner of the ship).

Gigabeast ChainsawMullet seen dodging discord bans that would result in whitelist suspensions.

Who the fuck does this guy play????

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChainsawMullet View Post
    Me when people have been preaching how MPs stand between the server and complete chaos for years because they never had the capacity to just admit they wanted to grief marines without playing xeno.

The fact that everything is going smoothly perfectly demonstrates how unnecessary MPs are to keep CM on track, the only question is where to take it from here - either rework MPs with a new ruleset that lends itself to being more positively involved with the marine side, or keep them out of the game and figure out where to fill in the gaps with OOC rules (for example, you don't need it for someone taking someone else's boots, or breaking a window in some random corner of the ship).
    Again the reason things are going "smoothly" is not because marines suddenly stopped doing stupid shit but because without MPs nobody call them out on it anymore. It's not a solution to a problem it's ignoring the problem.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulferion View Post
    Again the reason things are going "smoothly" is not because marines suddenly stopped doing stupid shit but because without MPs nobody call them out on it anymore. It's not a solution to a problem it's ignoring the problem.
    Yet it's nowhere near the level of anarchy people have always said it would be, and this is the period where things would be most chaotic with a change like this (people trying out the new change and seeing what they can get away with). Consider that this is a testmerge with no OOC rule changes and no changes on how things are handled, and that roundflow isn't even being impacted by such a massive change like this, and you'll quickly realise that fully fleshed out it can only get better from this point.

Gigabeast ChainsawMullet seen dodging discord bans that would result in whitelist suspensions.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MPs served a purpose more when they acted as a source of power for the CO like with Carson. With COs and MPs limited in forcing rule they exist now for no real reason. They only act as a source of lrp as people chimp out at them.

If it so bad you need an MP it should be ahelp anyway so we can delete the shitlers anyway.

Only see good things with no MPs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joke threads to #Acid-Goop

One CM infraction will be added to your account along with a deduction of 1000 from your Colonial Social Credit Score. We are not a democracy, have a CM day.
    how did he get CO?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChainsawMullet View Post
    Yet it's nowhere near the level of anarchy people have always said it would be, and this is the period where things would be most chaotic with a change like this (people trying out the new change and seeing what they can get away with). Consider that this is a testmerge with no OOC rule changes and no changes on how things are handled, and that roundflow isn't even being impacted by such a massive change like this, and you'll quickly realise that fully fleshed out it can only get better from this point.
    Yes but.. no.

The people who routinely fight the police/blow shit up/murder people are all glancing at each other and muttering uncertainly (I am one of them).

The only we get away with blowing shit up and acting like animals is our understanding of the server rules, mps rules, and the fine line in keeping it ICC. Now we are all afraid to be made an example of. No one wants to be the first guy banned for breaking a window.

I've been doing my part each round but even I was pushing my lucky pretty hard dismantling half the ship.
    Felix the Synth: hat fanatic, nice robot, one time double agent almayer synth executed for sedition. Occasional murderous mopbot.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardedWall View Post
    Yes but.. no.

The people who routinely fight the police/blow shit up/murder people are all glancing at each other and muttering uncertainly (I am one of them).

The only we get away with blowing shit up and acting like animals is our understanding of the server rules, mps rules, and the fine line in keeping it ICC. Now we are all afraid to be made an example of. No one wants to be the first guy banned for breaking a window.

I've been doing my part each round but even I was pushing my lucky pretty hard dismantling half the ship.
    OOC rules haven't changed so the minor crime IC stuff isn't being enforced OOCly during the test.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardedWall View Post
    Yes but.. no.

There's been no change in server rules with mp removal. The thing changed is that There's less people to care about you breaking a window.

If you are genuinely part of a group who's primary focus is sabotaging your own team by, in your own words - fighting the police/blowing shit up/murdering people, then CM wasn't the place to be to start with. It's a TDM with RP on the side, not trouble in terrorist town.
    STOP TRYING TO A HAND WHOLE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MPs are a fantastic idea on paper, but in reality you get powertrippers who do their best to grief marines and to have the longest possible brig timers.

Here's a handful of incidents that come to mind:

- Confiscating unga juice (seriously?)
    - A player constantly inciting riots every time they played MP, to the point a Discord rule clarification had to be added where MPs weren't allowed to bait arrests
    - MPs constantly flashbanging on green
    - Certain MP mains having a stroke on the computer purely to extend your "punishment" before setting the timer

There is no accountability for softgrief behavior. There's even a closed player report where staff glossed over the fact that an MP openly disobeyed CO's orders to incite a riot for mass arrests.

I don't think MPs should be deleted from the game, but their softgriefing behavior was untenable.
    A heavily reworked MP role with focus on RP would be a perfect solution, but good luck with the MP main's mentality being what it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nunk View Post
    MPs are a fantastic idea on paper, but in reality you get powertrippers who do their best to grief marines and to have the longest possible brig timers.
    I don't think MPs should be deleted from the game, but their softgriefing behavior was untenable.
    A heavily reworked MP role with focus on RP would be a perfect solution, but good luck with the MP main's mentality being what it is.
    Honestly a heavily reworked MP is ALSO great on paper, but it would never function properly. Let me spin it a different way if I may. You can't get rid of cancer properly without cutting out the tumors and in this case the tumors are a good portion of the MP mains and any staff that allow or even encourage the current behavior.

We would have to ban most of the current MP players and put admins on observation after the new rules were implemented, because otherwise it goes from being benign to malignant; with Mps going straight back to old habits regardless of any new rule-set, because it's what they are use to, and one chunk of staff allowing it, with the other turning a blind eye like before as they aren't unified enough to know what is and isn't crossing a line and not wanting to get fired from staff by pissing off other staff members.

I'd like to note that this isn't by design an attack on anyone, but it is absolutely an attack on the mindset behind the behavior that resulted in us having this discussion in the first place. There are people that play space station 13 with the goal of making other people miserable or angry, because it's fun. So when you create a role that is allowed to do that exact thing without real repercussion and worse yet, be treated as the good guys by the people that made the role, it's going to immediately be filled with those people and the normal guys and gals just trying to do good will simply be forgotten.

TL'DR: MP Rework would require significant oversight and constant vigilance by staff and I don't believe that the current regime has enough people that would care enough to watch the new Military Police and enforce a change in behavior.
    STOP TRYING TO A HAND WHOLE