0 Thread(s)

Flpfs - Commanding Officer Application

Commanding Officer Whitelist Application
    Personal Information

Byond ID?
    Flpfs

Player Name You Use Most?
    Phillip Clap

Make a list of links to all of your ban appeals as well as whitelist and staff applications (both accepted and denied) submitted within the past year. For appeals, provide an additional ban reason and the appeal’s verdict next to the link.
    Have you received any bans in the last month?
    No

What is your timezone in UTC?
    UTC-03

What is your discord username and handle?
    Tango#1095

Basic Questions & Story

What do you think is the job of a Commander?
    I believe that the role of the CO is to set the plan and tone for the operation, mounting the overarching strategy that the rest of the forces, including the XO, will use. They're also meant to be the highest authority to give them more tools to implement their plans.

Why do you want to be a Commanding Officer?
    I want to be a commanding officer because I find the role interesting after interacting with other COs and seeing them in game.

Provide a short story of your Commanding Officer.
    Experience

How familiar are you with command positions?
    I feel like I am very familiar with command positions.

Approximately how many hours do you have as Executive Officer (XO) at the time of writing this application?
    82 hours

How familiar are you with Department Head positions?
    Familiar, having played them all for more than ten hours, each.

How familiar are you with Marine Law and Standard Operating Procedure?
    Very familiar, having studied it for synth whitelist + mod training recently

Scenarios

When do you believe a Battlefield Execution should be used?
    I believe BEs should be used for LRP situations that disrupt the round or my ability to command. I'd use it as a last resort after trying to solve the situation through other means.

Some scenarios:
    I keep trying to deliver briefing but somebody begins stabbing me, or tries overdosing me.
    Somebody breaks into CIC and begins attacking personnel or disrupting me from using the console, or pushing me several times. I'd BE them after warning them.
    Somebody's committed a capital crime and is running away.

Under what circumstances do you believe it is legal to pardon a prisoner?
    Minor and major crimes, for personnel I believe are essential to the operation.

I'd use pardon very sparingly for situations that I feel are for the best of the OP, but still in violation of ML, like:

MT is arrested for removing a WeyMed from Medical, and into the dropship.
    Squad medic is arrested for breaking a window into medical, to get an extra medkit and there were no doctors available.
    Somebody climbed the req table to grab a spare JTAC kit on the floor, one hour into the OP.

Confirmations

Have you read the Code of Conduct?
    Yes

Have you read the application process page?
    Yes

Do you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

Do you understand you cannot advertise or promote this application on any platform, including Discord?
    Yes

Do you also understand that you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Solid guy, great IC and OOC and being a mod reinforces that. Now onto the application, the story is nice and unique short and sweet sums it up well. BE answer is solid, but a reminder to not use your mateba to stun wanted people in order to perform an arrest, the only time you should really be using it is in self-defence or performing BEs (someone correct me if i'm wrong for the mateba stun part) otherwise that's just a general thing. Pardon answer is correct and I don't see anything wrong with it.

Easy +1
    Chaotic puppet-master from hell

Whitelisted Captain
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have enough experience in my opinion, I've seen you both under my command and have been under yours.

Have to give credits for the design of your story. The story itself is kind of inconsequential, so can't give any credits for that.

Let's start with the most serious question, why in the hell CDR Clapp decided to pursue BA in Nursing of all things? Man, people are really competing for getting the easiest -1 these days... Ok, just joking, but still why BA in Nursing?

Then, there's the question I always like to ask experienced XOs: how would your CO rounds be different from your XO aCO rounds? Would you approach the CO role differently in any way? Any particular gimmicks\plans you would like to try? Especially the ones requiring you to have the CO WL?

Next, to appease the MP shadow cabal, here's the ML clusterfuck question: instead of deploying the scout spec have spent 10 minutes shipside messing with the Mess Sergeant. While you were busy elsewhere, his overwatch SO saw that and ordered him arrested by the MPs, which they did, before you could stop them, for Neglect Of Duty. Spec is now requesting both appeal and a pardon. Would you be willing to appeal or pardon him? Would your reprimand your SO?
    Roman 'Fire' Kacew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I have some ups and downs with your app.

You and I have spoken about CO recently and you've mentioned about wanting to reapply for a while now. But I think your application just doesn't show that you are willing to go an extra mile for trying to get the role; the CO WL is a very serious responsibility and has incredible weight to it, so seeing a generic dossier and condensed answers makes me think MINIMUM EFFORT and it's a bit disappointing seeing you a lot in command and wanting the reapply, but only seeing this much.

However,

We in the CO community have been concerned about your behavior, but personally, I have my own opinions about it. I've known you for a long time and your conduct improvement is insane. You're serious in commanding roles, your RP is pretty solid, and speaking to you is very enjoyable! I feel like you'd make a great addition to the WL and hope to see great things from you!

But

Don't you forget for even a second that the WL is an easy to keep. The rules for CO aren't very strict, so please follow them. You've gotten things straight and worked your way to Synthetic Council and Moderator; we expect you to act like it while playing the role! Otherwise, I hope to welcome you aboard, Captain! +1
    Last edited by MrDadMan; 09-27-2021 at 10:34 PM.
    Major Amber Walsh, Exceptional Leader

Spoiler Spoiler:

Za'Kul, Foolish Hunter
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Synthetic Council Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but still why BA in Nursing?
    He picked a BA in nursing because he desired to quit the Corps. He couldn't really manage to transition to civilian life again though, and the market was saturated.

how would your CO rounds be different from your XO aCO rounds?
    They'd be similar. I don't use a lot of unorthodox strategies. Plans I'd like to do with the CO role involve deploying and leading flanks. Marines really need a central figure for bigger maneuvers and sometimes it's sad to announce a flank but very few people actually do it. If I deployed groundside, we'd get a lot more people.

Spec is now requesting both appeal and a pardon.
    Since the OP just started, I'd probably delegate the appeal to the CMP or XO. I wouldn't be willing to pardon him as it's his fault if he decided to play around and do nothing, then get arrested as a unique role that only has four slots. About my SO, I would thank him for his diligence.
    Phillip Clap and Esther

Synthetic Technician

Senior Admin
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be honest, I am somewhat wary about this considering what happened during your last app.

But, looking at this as objectively as I can:

- You know all the basics and not basics of running an op and the ship. You do it competently and meet what I think are the requirements for the WL.

- You have an understanding of ML and the MPs place in the game. I know that you don't necessarily agree about their implementation as it is, but that is beyond the point. The MP Shadow Cabal is already gathering blackmail material on you.

And probably, most importantly:

- I have not seen the issue that I pointed out during your last application and that seemed to ultimately cost you the WL last time, which was your tendency to get flustered in high stress situations (especially where the stress came from outside sources like admin ran events) rear its head since you've started to do XO regularly again. Additionally you definitely are dedicated to the Synth WL which speaks volumes on its own.

I would still repeat - stressful situations will happen to you as CO. Sometimes significant parts of the server population will turn against you. Be careful not to let it get to you and make you act in ways that would end up causing trouble for you.

Having said all that, my vote is a +1. Good luck.
    Senior Administrator

Senior Administrator and Mentor Overseer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Decent player, decent mod, loves to ob frontlines and himself. Hes a bit on the more memey side oocy, but icly they play on hrp servers too. Role competency outside of CIC is proven by synth role. ML questions dont seem necessary this time around, and were covered last time. Did not see anything resembling the BE incident since. Overall +1.
    Trial Moderator: 2021-06-13 --- 2021-07-04
    Moderator: 2021-07-04 --- 2021-10-02
    Investigator: 2021-07-21 --- xxxx-xx-xx
    Trainer: 2021-08-20 --- xxxx-xx-xx
    Discord Staff: 2021-09-20 --- xxxx-xx-xx
    Senior Moderator: 2021-10-02 --- xxxx-xx-xx

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Memesky wants you to solve a math question. What's 8÷2(2 + 2) - 89?
    Just kidding.

I've seen Clap around a lot as a XO and synth.
    I have no problems with Clap. He's a competent XO that can lead well and OOCly, he's a good lad. Since his last application, I think Clap learned how to deal with high stress situations and as silencer said, you might still experience some stress situations where either the MPs or marines are against you.
    Additionally, they are a trusted moderator and synthetic councillor so they have a good understanding of ML and SOP should some problems arise while playing as CO.

+1 from me.
    I play as Viktor 'Beer' Kleiner, Matthaus and as Var'dqi Bo'ytill

LT COL. VIKTOR KLEINER, USS LOWË'S COMMANDING OFFICER

PROVISIONAL COMMAND OVER THE USS ALMAYER

Ex-CO Councillor. If you have any questions regarding the whitelist, feel free to DM me.
    Discord is Axyinious#3635

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not someone I had an issue with.
    and with him being in the synth council and being a moderator I think it's pretty clear this guy is pretty trustworthy.
    +1

Whitelisted Captain
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's nothing wrong with your performance or your answers and I generally see no problem in giving whitelist to someone who's just another good XO. But, there's another side of the coin. Just being a good XO does not make you a good CO, there's a whole new set of expectations. If you look at the few actually good COs we have left, be it Crimson, Windhealer or even Juro, you'll see that what sets them apart is the creativity, they are always a source of entropy for the marine force. That's what a CO should strive to be. And being "another good XO" myself, I personally struggle somewhat at that. So I have to caution you from thinking that getting a CO whitelist is the end of the road. You have to actually get good at it. Mild +1 from me.
    Roman 'Fire' Kacew