User Tag List

Thread: CORSAT Test Feedback

CM-SS13 Vice Host
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question CORSAT Test Feedback

Please post any feedback you have from today's test of CORSAT as to how the map can be modernised into present-day CM, and any features you thing should change or be implemented.

Keep it constructive, as this thread is important to the development of the map going forward, it will be strictly policed. No memery or shitposting please.
    Charles & Arthur Edwinson
    Synth Percival | Artyom
    Yautja Kjhute Luar-ke

Record:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Discord: forest2001#2001

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few things I noticed:

Map is still super laggy. Just looking around I think a some areas should either be removed or toned down. Sigma robotics, Sigma remote, research quarter, half of gamma residential could be removed and no-one would notice the difference in play area. As it is it's just too big and the lag spikes are insane. With 170 people the map was lagging worse than an LV round with 200.

Far too much reinforced everything. I get that it's a super fancy facility but it's so hard to clear anything. The Glass is reinforced, the walls are reinforced, the tables are reinforced. I'm convinced every single wall and window is reinforced in the area around the research complex omega, not to mention you cannot use OB to clear that area cause the fucking ceiling is reinforced. Some hallways choke into 2 tile wide with reinforced walls. You want to flank at not the pod-lock choke point? Guess what, south west is currently 1 tile wide and with reinforced walls doubled layered in some places that if removed take it up to a whopping 2 tile wide choke. North of that is 1 tile wide choke with even more reinforced walls. Can we get at least some walls not reinforced so we can think about flanking and not just throw ourselves into meat grinder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    would be nice to have the old goals (or new things)back to make the most of the map covered with different objective

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The majority of the hive fighting is in the south west portion of the map, either in omega (the real tiny one that doesn't have a biome) or Gamma (snow) and 3/4 of the map is usually just area to die as you're walking to the front, or for new squaddies to get lost and have a large portion of the marines not fight the xenos, then the other portions dying because their numbers are significantly less than what would be optimal to fight with.

A lot of chokepoints have outdated roofing. You cannot OB or do anything to them, they are heavy reinforced ceiling. The walls near them being heavy reinforced I believe too? The only way to break the chokepoint is for a spec, queen or xeno to do some crazy good/bad stuff that tilts the momentum in the other sides favour. A lot of the heavy reinforced metal just so happens to be in the south west portion in omega, where hives choose a lot of their locations. As well as chokepoints that connect some biomes together. Theta chokepoint to Research Complex Omega is also a classic hell choke that just isn't fun and is heavy reinforced.

A lot of the map is usually ignored and I think that's a shame, I think leaning into the nature of CORSAT being a different structuring of diverse biomes that would only make sense in a science facility should be the map's strength, and it should be focusing on that aspect the most. Adapting the kinda bland just square research buildings into more habitats that the colonist scientist guys live in would be a fresh take. Removing things like Academy and Admin to make the map more compact would also help alleviate the issue that the map is just a little too large, and a lot of it isn't interacted with unless the marines are retreating to FOB. So replacing/altering or just removing them i guess idk.

Pushes are stalled usually at the chokepoints at the beginning and ends of biomes, which you can't OB half of em, I think having them at least being OBable would help alleviate that issue. More flank ability is also needed

The scale of the map is a bit wacky, and pop reliant to an extreme. But I think large maps are needed in CM. It's so large that squads have to be together, (thats true on all maps somewhat) but even more on this map. Which means it's just Solaris Filt curse 2.0 but you go to Gamma Dome. It's not played much and people get lost, which will get sorted in time, too. Reducing the clutter between them and focusing on the current and even new bio domes would be cool. Really the only ways to push decently is the giant choke point gates at the biodomes, or tiny doorways that are few and far between in them. All the heavy walls at the tiny doorways do not help. Adding the shutter doorlock things from Science Annex to a couple places would help alleviate this issue I think and break up the map a bit.

Moving LZs so they're not basically next to each other would be better, maybe move LZ2 near Engineering Sigma. Then moving LZ1 kinda around Academy area? Idk im just spit balling. It would make it actually be a choice though, not sure how good of a choice it is, but its better than nothing. Currently you're basically picking if you want LZ2 and run further and die more in retreat, or be at LZ1 and die quicker but win faster if you're winning. Moving the LZs to around where I think might make hiving Sigma more fun, but some alterations to Theta would be required for an LZ2 spot near there. And moving LZ1 to Academy would threaten Gamma more, so that too I guess.

In general the map is just too big for no reason, and most of it is either empty and never used, or always used, always choke pointy because its generally pretty difficult to do micro flanks, and the LZs are so far away from LZs its insane in the membrane. If there was a heatmap it would avoid such a large percent of the map, and compressing the map down while keeping it's unique flavour of "Science biomes that simulate different environments" (We want an excuse to use different wacky turf in the same map) can shine properly, instead of mostly science buildings.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZAB1019 View Post
    too long didnt read
    I agree with what Zabo said here.

CORSAT's strengths lie in its diverse environments that you fight in. If you trimmed off the academy and generally the less essential, less traveled locations and shifted things around so its easier for new players to travel without being lost, CORSAT would be a lot more enjoyable. CORSAT also needs to more friendly to air support - one of the maps biggest detractors is how chokepoint heavy it gets. Alternatively, there could be more maint tunnels and passages to bypass the heavier chokes.

I also think the LZs need a rework to be smaller and generally easier to defend. There's just so much ground to cover and with the current metal economy you can at best get 1 full line of cades. Another thing that I think would be cool if there was more monorails - currently they are criminally under used. We could have one at each of the LZs and then put one at Landing Bay Omega and then one at Robotics.

Dev Team Manager Stan_albatross's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First thing is that the hive is ALWAYS in omega. I have literally never seen another hive spot so this makes the map far more repetitive by default. Solution - nerf omega, add other hive spots.

Second - the LZs, especially LZ1, are very wide, open, hard to defend, and prone to funny burrowers melting your cades or otherwise sneaking in. Solution - as Bob suggested, rework them.

Third - chokepoints. While better than yard on prison, the domes are incredibly hard to push into for marines, at best they have a 4 tiler and a few 1 tilers around that. Need to be opened up, and let the marines control the shutters more freely. Also rework ceilings since marines rely so much on fire support now, esp OBs.

Fourth - I can't say I've ever seen fighting in the area north of Gamma. Should be cut or reworked majorly (along with changing the Lz locations)

Closing - Tram is good and should be used more, teleporter is meh and the spots should be moved to be MUCH more useful considering it takes a lot of effort to use, also get rid of 1 tiler chokes.
    Karl Karlsson, the man (and sometimes Captain)
    Maxwell, the synth
    Enhath'vot Guan-Dha, the predator
    Also a feature Coder & CM's Maintainer Team Manager

Timeline :
    Spoiler Spoiler:

[CENTER]Retired Synth councilman, forever a member of IO gang

Whitelisted Captain
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As someone who loves playing CORSAT, I've seen most of the map get used in rounds, so I don't think that anything should get cut off that easily. That said, there are some things that can be improved in my opinion.

1. The entire map should be OBable and CASable again. If you look at my old statistics thread, you'll see that CORSAT was always a xeno favored map, due to the distances involved, making it kind of a lurker heaven.
    2. Some of the podlocks should be opened by the default and the time of opening on others should be changed. As far as I remember you have to find some special card, which is kind of impractical. I think there's no reason why the east and north Gamma locks should not be open or openable roundstart. And I say we do the same with the north Theta. So this leaves only the Checkpoint Omega that should not be open roundstart. Opening these locks would make flanking attacks more tangible for marines and also would make more of the map get used during the round. Also this would make meta more varied, because currently there are only 2 legit marine meta plans - LZ1 Gamma, and LZ2 Theta.

As for the hive locations, yeah there's the Omega default, then the west Gamma is an OK spot, followed by south Theta, which is kinda of bad.

Then if we talk about large changes, I feel like the Sigma dome position is somewhat unfortunate. It's tactically a good place for marines, but the way it's situated near the LZ2, it's almost never gets used. If I were to remake CORSAT I would swap it with administration and place it in the center of the colony. So the paths would be:
    LZ1 -> Academy -> Gamma -> Omega
    LZ1 -> Sigma -> Gamma -> Omega
    LZ1 -> Sigma -> Theta -> Omega
    LZ2 -> Research -> Theta
    LZ2 -> Sigma -> Theta
    LZ2 -> Sigma -> Gamma
    This would make Sigma dome a fallback point for marines if\when they get kicked out of either Gamma or Theta.
    Roman 'Fire' Kacew

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan_albatross View Post
    First thing is that the hive is ALWAYS in omega...

Closing - Tram is good and should be used more, teleporter is meh and the spots should be moved to be MUCH more useful considering it takes a lot of effort to use, also get rid of 1 tiler chokes.
    Agree with Karl

Only difference is I think it would be cool if the Almayer got a variation for the map including a teleport pad. So that you could directly teleport stuff to and from the ship also.
    Felix the Synth: hat fanatic, nice robot, one time double agent almayer synth executed for sedition. Occasional murderous mopbot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZAB1019 View Post
    The majority of the hive fighting is in the south west portion of the map, either in omega (the real tiny one that doesn't have a biome) or Gamma (snow) and 3/4 of the map is usually just area to die as you're walking to the front, or for new squaddies to get lost and have a large portion of the marines not fight the xenos, then the other portions dying because their numbers are significantly less than what would be optimal to fight with.

A lot of chokepoints have outdated roofing. You cannot OB or do anything to them, they are heavy reinforced ceiling. The walls near them being heavy reinforced I believe too? The only way to break the chokepoint is for a spec, queen or xeno to do some crazy good/bad stuff that tilts the momentum in the other sides favour. A lot of the heavy reinforced metal just so happens to be in the south west portion in omega, where hives choose a lot of their locations. As well as chokepoints that connect some biomes together. Theta chokepoint to Research Complex Omega is also a classic hell choke that just isn't fun and is heavy reinforced.

A lot of the map is usually ignored and I think that's a shame, I think leaning into the nature of CORSAT being a different structuring of diverse biomes that would only make sense in a science facility should be the map's strength, and it should be focusing on that aspect the most. Adapting the kinda bland just square research buildings into more habitats that the colonist scientist guys live in would be a fresh take. Removing things like Academy and Admin to make the map more compact would also help alleviate the issue that the map is just a little too large, and a lot of it isn't interacted with unless the marines are retreating to FOB. So replacing/altering or just removing them i guess idk.

Pushes are stalled usually at the chokepoints at the beginning and ends of biomes, which you can't OB half of em, I think having them at least being OBable would help alleviate that issue. More flank ability is also needed

The scale of the map is a bit wacky, and pop reliant to an extreme. But I think large maps are needed in CM. It's so large that squads have to be together, (thats true on all maps somewhat) but even more on this map. Which means it's just Solaris Filt curse 2.0 but you go to Gamma Dome. It's not played much and people get lost, which will get sorted in time, too. Reducing the clutter between them and focusing on the current and even new bio domes would be cool. Really the only ways to push decently is the giant choke point gates at the biodomes, or tiny doorways that are few and far between in them. All the heavy walls at the tiny doorways do not help. Adding the shutter doorlock things from Science Annex to a couple places would help alleviate this issue I think and break up the map a bit.

Moving LZs so they're not basically next to each other would be better, maybe move LZ2 near Engineering Sigma. Then moving LZ1 kinda around Academy area? Idk im just spit balling. It would make it actually be a choice though, not sure how good of a choice it is, but its better than nothing. Currently you're basically picking if you want LZ2 and run further and die more in retreat, or be at LZ1 and die quicker but win faster if you're winning. Moving the LZs to around where I think might make hiving Sigma more fun, but some alterations to Theta would be required for an LZ2 spot near there. And moving LZ1 to Academy would threaten Gamma more, so that too I guess.

In general the map is just too big for no reason, and most of it is either empty and never used, or always used, always choke pointy because its generally pretty difficult to do micro flanks, and the LZs are so far away from LZs its insane in the membrane. If there was a heatmap it would avoid such a large percent of the map, and compressing the map down while keeping it's unique flavour of "Science biomes that simulate different environments" (We want an excuse to use different wacky turf in the same map) can shine properly, instead of mostly science buildings.
    dont worry fam i got the old meme from when this map was in the rotation ready to go

BEHOLD THE CORSAT PLAYABLE AREA

corsatUNGA.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is less feedback and more of a discussion but for transport purposes I always felt CORESAT was the one map that deserved trucks. Now I do hate trucks, but I would be interested in seeing them tested.

Other than that I actually like the map the way it is, more or less, I agree with others that FOBs are too easy to attack and checkpoints are too easy for xenos to hold though. It's a bit too xeno biased.