Byond ID?
    LilPenpusher

CM Character?
    Misti 'Kobayashi' Rockwell

Are you 16 or older?
    Yes

Timezone
    CET

On average, how many hours are you available per week to moderate?
    4 per day during work days, and whenever I wake up on weekends/vacation days. I'd say about 30 hours a week average if I focus on CM alone as a game.

Qualifications

Do you have any previous experience in being staff (not just SS13)?
    Used to be Discord Moderator on a variety of communities (by now retired from those positions) and was briefly an Admin on a TG-based Server a friend hosted for a small community.

Do you play any servers aside from CM-SS13?
    Grimdark 13 (the 40k one) and NSV, but CM is by and far my main.

Provide links to any previous Colonial Marines applications that you've made:
    Commanding Officer Application [Accepted]: //showthrea...er-Application

Synthetic Application [Accepted]: //showthrea...ic-Application

Are you currently a staff member elsewhere (not just SS13)? If so, where?
    No

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on Colonial Marines?
    No

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on ANY server? If so, which server, when, and what for?
    Not to my recollection, no.

Are you familiar with the chat program Discord (its use is required)?
    Yes

Communication is a vital part of being a Moderator. Are you willing to actively do so with the team?
    Discord's always open for me, so I'm more than willing to chat and talk with others at any time I'm available.

Common Staff Situations

A player randomly shoots someone at round start and MPs have detained him.
    Question implies I am either present IC or aghosted and thus saw them shoot without causality, meaning it's definitely not a case of escalation.

Check their stats. If they're new, it may just be a cause of misfire due to being green. I'd bwoink them and tell them to be more careful (like how to enable gun safety for example, and not to keep guns out on the ship if possible) and message the Mentors to see if any SEA could assist them. If a SEA is being dispatched to assist him but MPs are already doing their thing and brigging him for attempted murder, I may ask a more senior staff member (I can't do ARES announces) to suggest to the MPs to drop the charge and instead hand the newbie to the SEA, so he can be trained. That's assuming the player is respectful and apologises.

If the player is NOT new, and most certainly DID know what they were doing, then I'd bwoink them and tell them they are being noted for improper escalation for shooting someone up without cause, and to stop doing it in the future.

A player ahelps that a predator has violated the honor code when killing him, what should you do?
    Whitelist issue, so I can't do anything beyond the scope of the Pred breaking server rules.
    Advise the player that I cannot help them directly, and that they should either make a player report about the incident or DM a Councillor of the Pred WL.

You see a player walking around the ship naked and clearly lost at roundstart.
    If I'm walking past IC, while playing, I'd stop by and see if I can help him myself. I'm not a mentor but helping new players should go without saying.

If I'm aghosted, or a high-importance role (CO for example) then I'd let a mentor know via mhelp.

A player is being very rude to you in adminhelps, calling you names and arguing everything you say. He is requesting to speak to an Admin+ staff member.
    Be very direct and tell him that arguing with staff in ahelps is not allowed, and toxicity even less so. Note them for this regardless of what they do next.

Inform them that they may make a staff report about my actions after the round ends, or that they can contact my Manager directly on Discord. If they continue to persist and bash toxicity at me, I would issue a 24 hour ban and add their continued toxicity on top of the previously issued note. Any further toxicity to staff in ahelps should not be tolerated due to this.

A player ahelps that a marine is named 'John Doe', how do you deal with this?
    Handle the issue by messaging the 'John Doe' player, telling him that his name breaks our acceptable names policy, and that he must change it. I'd offer him the chance to have me alter his name to a new one he wants. If he rejects and argues that his name is fine and doesn't break the rule, I would change his name to a new name of my choice, finish by telling him that he is to edit his character by the next round and change to a new, better name, and that he will face punishment if he does not comply and do so. Make a note of his arguing with staff in DMs.

You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green and there has been no threat to the ship in the round at this point.
    IC issue. If he starts using the gear to gun people down it becomes a rule break but until then it's merely a ML/SOP issue and MPs should handle it.

A Marine ahelps that they were killed by a survivor. It is early round, the Marines have just landed, and the survivor claims that they were outright hostile to all Marines from the get-go and openly stated their intentions. How do you deal with this?
    DM the Survivor and inform him that it's not allowed for Survivors to be hostile to the Marines as of currently. Check his notes to see if this, or similar, has happened in the past, and note it accordingly. Instruct the Survivor to drag the Marine's body back to a Medic so they can be revived, if possible. If not, offer an aheal to the dead Marine.

You receive an ahelp from a player stating that an MP has locked them up in permanent confinement for running into Requisitions and taking an attachment that was laying around.
    DM the MP and ask for their reasoning for locking the player up. Also DM the Req staff, if any were present at the time of the incident, to double-check the testimony of the MP and Player. Check logs as well, to check for hostile actions such as the player attacking a CT or the RO during his 'visit'.

If the arrest was valid due to, for example, breaking in, attacking req staff and stealing shit then the MP is in the clear. Check the Player's notes instead, and see if this sort of thing has happened before and act/note accordingly, due to possible grief/improper escalation.

If the arrest was invalid, DM the MP to free the Player and check their notes. If they have a history of making these kinds of faulty charges and arrests, consider a MP jobban depending on the circumstances. Otherwise, leave a note of the incident for the future.

The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
    Queen Mother the Xenos, telling them to be bold and spread the hive to the skies. Use some IC wording to hint at larva surge - that their numbers will increase if they hijack, and that Enemy numbers are low.

if Xenos don't react, SM the CO/XO and tell them to attempt a redeployment to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.

You are playing as a medic, and another medic overdoses all your patients and prevent marines from being revived. It seems like it may be on purpose. How do you deal with this situation?
    Ahelp them and let another, neutral-in-the-matter staff member handle the situation since I'm involved in the matter. Try and get the dead marines away from the guy so that me and other medics can finally revive them.

The round ends, a Marine starts shooting a hostile CLF member and the CLF member ahelps about being killed after the round ended.
    CLF and USCM are hostile and declared enemies. Non-issue since EORG doesn't apply.

A Marine is running around disarming, punching and stealing gear at round start. You receive an ahelp from one of the victims.
    In of itself an IC issue since it's just theft. Consider informing MPs about this so they can rein him in and get the gear returned.

Check his notes to see his past record. If he hasn't done this type of thing in the past, don't do anything but make a note of the incident for recordkeeping. If he has, and is a known offender, DM him and inform him of his continued roundstart fuckery offenses. Depending on how bad his record is, note him for it or consider a tempban.

You receive an ahelp from a Marine saying that he was killed by another Marine. When you ask the murderer why, he said it was because the other Marine had punched him.
    Case of Improper Escalation. Tell the murderer that it was improper escalation, and that he should get the victim revived if possible. Aheal the victim if it isn't possible. Note the offender for Improper Escalation; if they already have a history of IE, then apply a tempban.

You find out that there is an improper mutiny occuring. The mutineers are rallying together and preparing to storm the CIC. How would you attempt to resolve this situation?
    MOOC immediately to tell them that the Mutiny is not permitted, and that any mutineers are to stand down right away. Whoever doesn't stand down, and continues to try and attack CiC will be aslept and handled by me and other staff as required.

There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it.
    Racist comments are not permitted and the players making the comments will be DM'd to cut it out. Depending on severity I'd leave a note for the instigators of making minor racist comments IC.

A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.
    Clearly mass grief with the added bonus of logging off and avoiding admin intervention. Apply ban and file for a permaban. Aheal the dead/wounded Marines if Medical Staff is not sufficiently available to undo the damage.

You see a player playing a Xeno larva/chestburster run towards the frontlines straight from the Xeno hive the second they burst and die.
    Check notes and playtimes. If they're new, it may be a rookie mistake/not knowing what they're doing. DM them that they should avoid going near the frontline as a larva, and ideally stay in the hive until they evolve.
    If they have notes relevant to this sort of incident, consider a Xeno Jobban due to griefing, otherwise issue a warning to the player and leave a note.
    If they have no notes but are not new, tell them to stop doing this since it's griefing the xenos. Warn them and add a note.

You see a Xeno memeing, saying AYYLMAO, REEEEEE etc in hivemind chat, as well as insulting the Queen.
    Netspeak and also LRP due to insulting the Queen. DM the player and inform him of this, and tell them to cut it out. Leave a note about LRP/Netspeak as Xeno for the future.

A Xeno player calls the shuttle a "dropship". A different Xeno player ahelps that it's low role play to call it a "dropship".
    Inform the ahelping player that the term is fine since Xeno speech is 'translated' into English and so terms like OB, Dropship and gun is fine.

A Command staff player at briefing near round-start mentions there are aliens on the planet. You receive an ahelp from a marine regarding this.
    Correct ahelp since Marines specifically do NOT know what the threat on the planet is, thus not knowing of the Xenos.
    DM the Command Staff player that Marines are not aware of the xeno threat before actually encountering it. Check notes to see if this has been an issue in the past, but otherwise don't issue any notes.

You find a Marine killing another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself. There are two other marines in the pod along with him.
    Quickly double-check with the two other Marines present if the story lines up and the Marine was killed specifically to try and get that third spot on the pod. If so, it's acceptable RP and one of the scenarios where Improper Escalation is acceptable. No action taken.

A player insults you after you warn them for a minor issue and begins ranting in LOOC or dchat about staff and mentions you specifically, referring to you as an 'idiot' and a 'retard'.
    DM them that insulting staff, especially about rulings, is not acceptable and a rule-break. Make a note of toxic behaviour towards Staff if they quiet down. If they continue to act out in LOOC/Deadchat then inform them to make a staff report or talk to my manager on Discord, and consider applying a short temp ban to help them cool off.

A player ahelps saying he was hugged by a Xeno when he was ssd, and wants the larva be removed from him via admin powers. How do you handle the ahelp?
    SSD players don't receive admin protection unless it's due to special circumstances such as the server pooping itself, people getting Polio or a admin midi causing people to freeze up/DC.

Inform the player that no action will be taken, and that he will need to get surgery as usual to have the embryo removed.

You see a fellow staff member give wrong information in an Adminhelp or incorrectly enforce a rule.
    Inform them of their wrongdoing in msay. Probably just a misunderstanding/slip-up.

If it's a repeat-case of me noticing this staff member wrongfully handling something, I would take this to my Manager and inform them of the case.

Two staff are arguing in msay if an ahelp is breaking a rule. Because the staff who took the ahelp thinks the player broke a rule, they ban the player based on their interpretation of the rules, with others thinking the person was fine. What would you do?
    Rule 0.1 leaves some leeway in how to interpret and enforce rules, so it's possible both of them have a good point in their own right.

If their argument was them arguing a point then I'd either support whichever side I deem more reasonable or take it to my manager if the 'argument' is petty and childish insults since it's misconduct.

Why would you like to become a moderator?
    Been playing CM for a long time now and I want to somehow help contribute to either the Community or Game itself. Since I'm a doofus who is physically too braindead to even look at code without drooling, I figured trying my hand at moderating would be a good call. I've had my fair share of moderating experience in the past, and think it would be a lot of fun to help out as staff so long as I can balance staff work with actually playing the game.

In your opinion, what is the most important quality for a moderator?
    Fairness and a tough skin.

It's most important to remain fair and impartial, as any sort of moderating figure needs to be. You should always look at the facts, not at whether you like or dislike a person, or whether you're in a bad mood right now. Everyone should be treated according to the rules and JUST the rules, not your whimsical emotions at the time. By remaining fair, I believe one can build trust and approachability as a staff member.
    At the same time, whatever action you take as staff, no matter how just or fair, will inevitably upset one side or the other. You must have the tough skin required to not crack under people openly showing their disapproval of you and your actions. Harassment is obviously not allowed and should be handled, but people may still voice discontent, and it's important to remember that you can never -ever- please everybody.

Anything else you
    Been thinking about Staff for months but never went for it. Reason is primarily that I'm afraid Staff work will cut too deeply into my freetime, and that I'll essentially just end up aghosted the entire day without ever playing the game.

So yeah, my main concern is remaining freed up enough to continue enjoying and playing the game, while handling staff work in equal amounts. A fair balance would be nice.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CO WL, Synth WL, and friendly interactions with you on discord and ingame make this a robust +1
    We could always use more staff, you seem like a good choice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, Elf:

Your knowledge of game mechanics is clear based on multiple whitlists. I see you play often in a variety of roles from captain to medic.

My concern is MP related. I am going to give you a number of scenarios related to MP behavior and see how you would respond as a mod:

1) A PFC ahelps to complain about an MP flashing them for no reason. What do you do?
    2) A PFC ahelps to complain about an MP flashing and baton stunning them a second after being asked to leave the brig. What do you do?
    3) A PFC ahelps to complain about MP LRP behavior. LRP in question is MPS claiming a broken window is worth $5,000.00, made of diamonds and blessed by Ghandi. The PFC has the chat logs to substantiate the claims. What do you do?

Good Luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeofCagliostro View Post
    My concern is MP related. I am going to give you a number of scenarios related to MP behavior and see how you would respond as a mod:

1) A PFC ahelps to complain about an MP flashing them for no reason. What do you do?
    2) A PFC ahelps to complain about an MP flashing and baton stunning them a second after being asked to leave the brig. What do you do?
    3) A PFC ahelps to complain about MP LRP behavior. LRP in question is MPS claiming a broken window is worth $5,000.00, made of diamonds and blessed by Ghandi. The PFC has the chat logs to substantiate the claims. What do you do?
    1.) DM the MP about why they flashed/are flashing the PFC, asking for their side of the story. If there's no reason for the MP to be flashing the PFC (they should usually only do this to arrest someone) then I'd issue them with a warning since MPs are required to obey ML, and flashing people without reason is assault + grief. Add a note for future reference. If they already have notes referencing bad MP behaviour then a MP Jobban may be required. If the MP *does* have a valid reason to flash them, then inform the PFC of this in DMs and mark as resolved.

2.) IC Issue. Trespassing is a crime and you are not required to inform someone to leave the area if trespassing. MPs can stun and toss them out that way or arrest for Trespass if they want. If the arrest is unwarranted (such as MPs arresting a Doctor that was previously called to Brig to treat a Prisoner) then an appeal is what they're looking for.

3.) DM the MP in question about the complaint and tell them to keep things a little more in check moving forward. Possibly just misunderstood sarcastic remarks though. Most likely results in no action taken.
    Last edited by LilPenpusher; 10-31-2021 at 09:51 PM.
    Synthetic Unit 'Amber'.

Major Misti Rockwell, USS Yokosuka, 2nd Division, 2nd Battlegroup, 3rd Fleet.

Trial Moderator: 7th November 2021 - 21st November 2021
    Moderator: 21st November 2021 - 17th January 2022
    Senior Moderator: 17th January 2022 - 2nd of June 2022

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, Elf,

Answers are fine by me. +1. Good luck.

Senior Administrator and Mentor Overseer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LilPenpusher View Post
    Question implies I am either present IC or aghosted and thus saw them shoot without causality, meaning it's definitely not a case of escalation.

Check their stats. If they're new, it may just be a cause of misfire due to being green. I'd bwoink them and tell them to be more careful (like how to enable gun safety for example, and not to keep guns out on the ship if possible) and message the Mentors to see if any SEA could assist them. If a SEA is being dispatched to assist him but MPs are already doing their thing and brigging him for attempted murder, I may ask a more senior staff member (I can't do ARES announces) to suggest to the MPs to drop the charge and instead hand the newbie to the SEA, so he can be trained. That's assuming the player is respectful and apologises.

If the player is NOT new, and most certainly DID know what they were doing, then I'd bwoink them and tell them they are being noted for improper escalation for shooting someone up without cause, and to stop doing it in the future.
    Decent answer, tho you should check notes too beforehand.

A player ahelps that a predator has violated the honor code when killing him, what should you do?
    Whitelist issue, so I can't do anything beyond the scope of the Pred breaking server rules.
    Advise the player that I cannot help them directly, and that they should either make a player report about the incident or DM a Councillor of the Pred WL.
    Ok answer, but you may do a basic investigation of what happened and see if it isn't something as simple as the person being totally unfamiliar with HC, or even knowing one exists, you may also provide them the ckey for the report. Keep in mind that a player report basically means, A mod will be doing this if/when they pull the logs for it regardless, on behalf of the council.

If I'm walking past IC, while playing, I'd stop by and see if I can help him myself. I'm not a mentor but helping new players should go without saying.

If I'm aghosted, or a high-importance role (CO for example) then I'd let a mentor know via mhelp.
    You pretty much are a mentor in full, this includes voting on mentor apps and haveing full access to SEA mhelp and their discord channels, and in-game mentor say. Generally speaking, Co/Xo/Queens tend to deadmin, there is even a rule in that they should, tho it is not a must. This distinction is especially relevant for low-pop when you may very well be the only mod online or one of few, and you do seem to play at those times too.

A player is being very rude to you in adminhelps, calling you names and arguing everything you say. He is requesting to speak to an Admin+ staff member.
    Be very direct and tell him that arguing with staff in ahelps is not allowed, and toxicity even less so. Note them for this regardless of what they do next.

Inform them that they may make a staff report about my actions after the round ends, or that they can contact my Manager directly on Discord. If they continue to persist and bash toxicity at me, I would issue a 24 hour ban and add their continued toxicity on top of the previously issued note. Any further toxicity to staff in ahelps should not be tolerated due to this.
    Good answer, tho we don't encourage them to make reports. If they want to, it is fine, but we don't send them explicitly.

Handle the issue by messaging the 'John Doe' player, telling him that his name breaks our acceptable names policy, and that he must change it. I'd offer him the chance to have me alter his name to a new one he wants. If he rejects and argues that his name is fine and doesn't break the rule, I would change his name to a new name of my choice, finish by telling him that he is to edit his character by the next round and change to a new, better name, and that he will face punishment if he does not comply and do so. Make a note of his arguing with staff in DMs.
    Good answer, tho you note them even if they comply, or are new. This is so the next mod knows that this isn't the first time they were talked about this.

You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green and there has been no threat to the ship in the round at this point.
    IC issue. If he starts using the gear to gun people down it becomes a rule break but until then it's merely a ML/SOP issue and MPs should handle it.
    Decent answer tho keep in deploying is also an issue. If they want to play pfc they should roll pfc, tho its not a mod issue until they deploy so just keeping an eye on them is enough. You should probably check notes ofc too.

A Marine ahelps that they were killed by a survivor. It is early round, the Marines have just landed, and the survivor claims that they were outright hostile to all Marines from the get-go and openly stated their intentions. How do you deal with this?
    DM the Survivor and inform him that it's not allowed for Survivors to be hostile to the Marines as of currently. Check his notes to see if this, or similar, has happened in the past, and note it accordingly. Instruct the Survivor to drag the Marine's body back to a Medic so they can be revived, if possible. If not, offer an aheal to the dead Marine.
    Good answer. In general you can aheal right away in this case too, but leaving it ic for a medic to handle is fine too.

You receive an ahelp from a player stating that an MP has locked them up in permanent confinement for running into Requisitions and taking an attachment that was laying around.
    DM the MP and ask for their reasoning for locking the player up. Also DM the Req staff, if any were present at the time of the incident, to double-check the testimony of the MP and Player. Check logs as well, to check for hostile actions such as the player attacking a CT or the RO during his 'visit'.

If the arrest was valid due to, for example, breaking in, attacking req staff and stealing shit then the MP is in the clear. Check the Player's notes instead, and see if this sort of thing has happened before and act/note accordingly, due to possible grief/improper escalation.

If the arrest was invalid, DM the MP to free the Player and check their notes. If they have a history of making these kinds of faulty charges and arrests, consider a MP jobban depending on the circumstances. Otherwise, leave a note of the incident for the future.
    While some parts of the answer are good, you still haven't addressed the player being locked up in perma, if they are guilty of assault. Assault is not a perma charge, and that is still wrongdoing on the mps side, some amount of shenanigans isn't grief, it is just a 15 mins jail sentence. The mp is very much so not in the clear given the charges of assault. Overall id say you kinda botched this question. Honestly, you botched this even from a CO pov, not just mod.

The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
    Queen Mother the Xenos, telling them to be bold and spread the hive to the skies. Use some IC wording to hint at larva surge - that their numbers will increase if they hijack, and that Enemy numbers are low.

if Xenos don't react, SM the CO/XO and tell them to attempt a redeployment to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.
    Decent answer.

You are playing as a medic, and another medic overdoses all your patients and prevent marines from being revived. It seems like it may be on purpose. How do you deal with this situation?
    Ahelp them and let another, neutral-in-the-matter staff member handle the situation since I'm involved in the matter. Try and get the dead marines away from the guy so that me and other medics can finally revive them.
    Ok answer but what happens if you are the only mod around or available? Do think a bit on this as its not super straightforward, especially as yes, you arent supposed to get involved in incidents involving yourself, and afaik you do play in lopop hours and medic/synth roles quite a bit, so this will happen to you every once in a while.

The round ends, a Marine starts shooting a hostile CLF member and the CLF member ahelps about being killed after the round ended.
    CLF and USCM are hostile and declared enemies. Non-issue since EORG doesn't apply.
    Ok answer, but what do you reply to the ahelp? No reply? ignore it?

A Marine is running around disarming, punching and stealing gear at round start. You receive an ahelp from one of the victims.
    In of itself an IC issue since it's just theft. Consider informing MPs about this so they can rein him in and get the gear returned.

Check his notes to see his past record. If he hasn't done this type of thing in the past, don't do anything but make a note of the incident for recordkeeping. If he has, and is a known offender, DM him and inform him of his continued roundstart fuckery offenses. Depending on how bad his record is, note him for it or consider a tempban.
    Decent answer, in that this could be round start shenanigans, but whether or not it does depend on the exact circumstances. If he's staling spec gear then yeah, he's toast. if he's punching 1-2 of his mates, this is something that probably really should be overlooked. ATM we arent enforcing ML OOCly.

You receive an ahelp from a Marine saying that he was killed by another Marine. When you ask the murderer why, he said it was because the other Marine had punched him.
    Case of Improper Escalation. Tell the murderer that it was improper escalation, and that he should get the victim revived if possible. Aheal the victim if it isn't possible. Note the offender for Improper Escalation; if they already have a history of IE, then apply a tempban.
    Good answer. Tho keep in mind that in most cases, marines should be reviving someone if they killed them, even if it is not IE, generally permaing someone tends to be greif.

You find out that there is an improper mutiny occuring. The mutineers are rallying together and preparing to storm the CIC. How would you attempt to resolve this situation?
    MOOC immediately to tell them that the Mutiny is not permitted, and that any mutineers are to stand down right away. Whoever doesn't stand down, and continues to try and attack CiC will be aslept and handled by me and other staff as required.
    Ok answer.

There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it.
    Racist comments are not permitted and the players making the comments will be DM'd to cut it out. Depending on severity I'd leave a note for the instigators of making minor racist comments IC.
    Decent answer.

A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.
    Clearly mass grief with the added bonus of logging off and avoiding admin intervention. Apply ban and file for a permaban. Aheal the dead/wounded Marines if Medical Staff is not sufficiently available to undo the damage.
    Decent answer under the assumption this was raiding on an alt (i.e. there is a multikey/ban evasion offence too). If not, filing for perma is a bit much. We tend to be remarkably forgiving, even in such cases. Still, it is probably a week ban at minimum. Details are covered in training.

You see a player playing a Xeno larva/chestburster run towards the frontlines straight from the Xeno hive the second they burst and die.
    Check notes and playtimes. If they're new, it may be a rookie mistake/not knowing what they're doing. DM them that they should avoid going near the frontline as a larva, and ideally stay in the hive until they evolve.
    If they have notes relevant to this sort of incident, consider a Xeno Jobban due to griefing, otherwise issue a warning to the player and leave a note.
    If they have no notes but are not new, tell them to stop doing this since it's griefing the xenos. Warn them and add a note.
    Decent answer, but leave a note even if they are new. Unless they have a good excuse for why they died or were going towards the frontline. Say something along the lines, the queen was flanking behind the marines and the larva just wanted to get to the queen and would not have known they would be crossing through the enemy territory as they don't know the map. But even in this case leaving a note would not be the wrong thing to do.

You see a Xeno memeing, saying AYYLMAO, REEEEEE etc in hivemind chat, as well as insulting the Queen.
    Netspeak and also LRP due to insulting the Queen. DM the player and inform him of this, and tell them to cut it out. Leave a note about LRP/Netspeak as Xeno for the future.
    Good answer.

A Xeno player calls the shuttle a "dropship". A different Xeno player ahelps that it's low role play to call it a "dropship".
    Inform the ahelping player that the term is fine since Xeno speech is 'translated' into English and so terms like OB, Dropship and gun is fine.
    Good answer.

A Command staff player at briefing near round-start mentions there are aliens on the planet. You receive an ahelp from a marine regarding this.
    Correct ahelp since Marines specifically do NOT know what the threat on the planet is, thus not knowing of the Xenos.
    DM the Command Staff player that Marines are not aware of the xeno threat before actually encountering it. Check notes to see if this has been an issue in the past, but otherwise don't issue any notes.
    Ok answer, short of the note, iirc you probably should issue it, especially since it is a CO.

You find a Marine killing another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself. There are two other marines in the pod along with him.
    Quickly double-check with the two other Marines present if the story lines up and the Marine was killed specifically to try and get that third spot on the pod. If so, it's acceptable RP and one of the scenarios where Improper Escalation is acceptable. No action taken.
    Decent answer.

A player insults you after you warn them for a minor issue and begins ranting in LOOC or dchat about staff and mentions you specifically, referring to you as an 'idiot' and a 'retard'.
    DM them that insulting staff, especially about rulings, is not acceptable and a rule-break. Make a note of toxic behaviour towards Staff if they quiet down. If they continue to act out in LOOC/Deadchat then inform them to make a staff report or talk to my manager on Discord, and consider applying a short temp ban to help them cool off.
    Good answer short of the sending them to your manager bit. You took the ahelp, they get to deal you. They don't get to call for your manager because they disagree with a ruling you made.

A player ahelps saying he was hugged by a Xeno when he was ssd, and wants the larva be removed from him via admin powers. How do you handle the ahelp?
    SSD players don't receive admin protection unless it's due to special circumstances such as the server pooping itself, people getting Polio or a admin midi causing people to freeze up/DC.

Inform the player that no action will be taken, and that he will need to get surgery as usual to have the embryo removed.
    Decent answer, but oftentimes even in those cases, they dont get anything and it is their problem. It is rather the exception that if the admin or whoever is feeling kind, they may get some compensation in those cases and by no means something they have to do.

You see a fellow staff member give wrong information in an Adminhelp or incorrectly enforce a rule.
    Inform them of their wrongdoing in msay. Probably just a misunderstanding/slip-up.

If it's a repeat-case of me noticing this staff member wrongfully handling something, I would take this to my Manager and inform them of the case.
    Decent answer.

Two staff are arguing in msay if an ahelp is breaking a rule. Because the staff who took the ahelp thinks the player broke a rule, they ban the player based on their interpretation of the rules, with others thinking the person was fine. What would you do?
    Rule 0.1 leaves some leeway in how to interpret and enforce rules, so it's possible both of them have a good point in their own right.

If their argument was them arguing a point then I'd either support whichever side I deem more reasonable or take it to my manager if the 'argument' is petty and childish insults since it's misconduct.
    Decent answer.

Why would you like to become a moderator?
    Been playing CM for a long time now and I want to somehow help contribute to either the Community or Game itself. Since I'm a doofus who is physically too braindead to even look at code without drooling, I figured trying my hand at moderating would be a good call. I've had my fair share of moderating experience in the past, and think it would be a lot of fun to help out as staff so long as I can balance staff work with actually playing the game.

In your opinion, what is the most important quality for a moderator?
    Fairness and a tough skin.

It's most important to remain fair and impartial, as any sort of moderating figure needs to be. You should always look at the facts, not at whether you like or dislike a person, or whether you're in a bad mood right now. Everyone should be treated according to the rules and JUST the rules, not your whimsical emotions at the time. By remaining fair, I believe one can build trust and approachability as a staff member.
    At the same time, whatever action you take as staff, no matter how just or fair, will inevitably upset one side or the other. You must have the tough skin required to not crack under people openly showing their disapproval of you and your actions. Harassment is obviously not allowed and should be handled, but people may still voice discontent, and it's important to remember that you can never -ever- please everybody.

Anything else you
    Been thinking about Staff for months but never went for it. Reason is primarily that I'm afraid Staff work will cut too deeply into my freetime, and that I'll essentially just end up aghosted the entire day without ever playing the game.

So yeah, my main concern is remaining freed up enough to continue enjoying and playing the game, while handling staff work in equal amounts. A fair balance would be nice.
    Actually decnet answers for this section, something thats not too comm. While the roles you tend to play tend to be rather incompatible with moding, Synh and CO, but even medic, there are other roles work very well with modding and playing at the same time. Acid rooner is great as you still build up acid while ghosted and can in general aghost at will. Mt is also decent so long as you don't go the self antag route, CT can be decent too for example. Running events or assisting in them is not a bad way to play the game either.

Your answers overall tend to be decent, however, the mp question does actually worry me quite a bit tbh, especially as you are a regular CO.

In general, you seem to be very strongly leaning towards policing the community, and while that is a good thing in a mod application, it is only half of the job. The other half is helping out and teaching and more or less just moderating behavior rather than just issuing bans for everything, something I felt was somewhat lacking from your answers overall, except with like the CO question where you paradoxically were on the very soft side, unlike the general trend in your other answers. Your intuition about issues tends to lean towards very strict, and possibly something you should keep in mind, especially in cases of shenanigans and self antaging, which atm tend to be somewhat more tolerated than your intuition would seem to suggest based on the answers. They can still very much be rule breaks, and the community does push way past boundry quite often.

As stated in the SEA question, You are a full mentor and have mentor powers from the day you become a tmod, unlike mod powers which on day 1 you basically have 0, and even then you only get fax and sm powers officially only after you become full mod.

You do seem to mention leaving a note quite often, but rarely seem to mention checking notes. Given the former ill assume the latter is an oversight.

Discord-wise, you are clear of warnings.

You have virtually no in-game notes, and none that are still relevant.

You do have some rather more recent forum notes, but they aren't recent enough or major to be of worry.

I believe I asked you to follow up or expand on 2 or so app questions.

I don't think I will personally ask any follow-up questions regarding ml, as another user has already done so.

I'm not sure, but I think you are still under the Warning period on your CO wl due that BE, or has that expired? And are there any similar incidents on the synth side?

Your general presence in the 2 WLs you have tends to be one I like, in that you are upholding the standards of said WLs. IIRC you have even helped some people with their apps too, something I said I felt was lacking in your mod app answers.

I'm also reasonably familiar with you as a player and I don't see any issues there.

Overall I lean towards a favorable view on this app, despite there being some issues. But I will wait till others weigh in and see what they say before, and you address the questions before I formally vote.
    Trial Moderator: 2021-06-13 --- 2021-07-04
    Moderator: 2021-07-04 --- 2021-10-02
    Investigator: 2021-07-21 --- xxxx-xx-xx
    Trainer: 2021-08-20 --- xxxx-xx-xx
    Discord Staff: 2021-09-20 --- xxxx-xx-xx
    Senior Moderator: 2021-10-02 --- xxxx-xx-xx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wrote this app in the evening and was probably a bit sleepy. Not a good excuse, I know, but alas I must have omitted some stuff here and there, my bad. In general, almost everytime I mention 'write them a note' I'd also be checking them beforehand, so you weren't wrong in assuming it was a slip-up.

Admittedly whiffed the MP question a little as you mentioned, but I'm gonna be generous to myself and contribute that to me being sleepy. I'm usually knowledgeable of ML (as my CO and Synth WL, as well as MP playtimes should attest to), so I'm a bit mad I overlooked something so obvious when writing.

That aside, I'm always happy to help and teach others, especially new players, though am remarkably strict when it comes to toeing a line, like server rules or even ML when I play MP or CO. Some people hate me as CO because I frequently side with the redhats and enforce arrests rather than turning a blind eye - that's how I've always tended to moderate ICly and OOCly. I'm chill, but that doesn't mean I'd turn a blind eye in most cases (unless the mistake was genuinely a rookie fuck-up of some sort).

Also yes I didn't use the quote feature because your post is giga long and I'm not trimming it to suit my needs at 11 PM. AaaAAA

--------

>Ok answer but what happens if you are the only mod around or available?

Personally I can see two ways to go about this. One would be to move to a safe area and aghost, and then DM the guy myself. This isn't really sending me ideal vibes though, cause as both of us said, we aren't meant to handle those things ourselves if we're involved, but if I'm the only one then it may be the best call. This goes especially if they're being particularly diehard about this, ODing *a lot* of people, not just 2 or 3. At that point it's bordering on mass grief and demands immediate intervention so as to preserve people's enjoyment in the round.
    That aside, the second option I see would be to continue playing and try and wrangle the guy ICly. Try and tackle him and get zipties on him, and ship him up to the Brig so he can face IC punishment for his deeds. Naturally this is NOT an IC issue though (grief), and I'd make a player report on the forum so that the punishment isn't lost on him.

>Ok answer, but what do you reply to the ahelp? No reply? ignore it?

Reply, naturally. Simply inform them that the person who killed them was part of an enemy faction, so EORG rules don't apply. Easy enough.

>You have full SEA access including msay and mhelps

Legitimately had no idea there. I thought only Admins got that for free without being mentor. Cool!
    Last edited by LilPenpusher; 11-01-2021 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Forum assassinated my formating, help
    Synthetic Unit 'Amber'.

Major Misti Rockwell, USS Yokosuka, 2nd Division, 2nd Battlegroup, 3rd Fleet.

Trial Moderator: 7th November 2021 - 21st November 2021
    Moderator: 21st November 2021 - 17th January 2022
    Senior Moderator: 17th January 2022 - 2nd of June 2022

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the idea of having a SEA assist a new player but tie it in to the new player mishap as NJP for extra training on responsible handling of firearms, or something to that effect!

Good answer.

Good answer. It’s very nice to see initiative to reach out and help new players!

Strong answer! Unless there is a note history that warrants escalation, ban duration for this would probably be 3 hours, not 24- but that’s a minor thing that’s covered in training.

Good answer! (And for some reason, these are always the hardest aHelps for me, almost everyone argues!)

Good answer.

Good answer.

Excellent answer! Strong understanding of ML/MP Interactions and where troubles can arise.

Good answer.

Good answer.

Good answer.

Good answer. There are a few guidelines for staff on how recent notes should be and how incident related they should be when deciding on escalating action, but again, that’s covered in training.

Good answer.

Good answer.

Good answer.

Good answer. Two minor notes: In cases of clear griefing like this, you don’t have to defer to medical to revive the players affected, you can just aheal the victims. Applying for perma is probably too harsh in this situation, unless the player has a history of griefing.

Good answer. In this type of case, you can also refund the lost larva for the hive.

Good answer.

Good answer.

Good answer. Exception to this is sometimes survivors will send an SOS before drop and include information that Xenos are on the planet.

Good answer.

Good answer.

Good answer.

Good answer. One of the best resources we have as staff are other staff members. Don’t be shy on asking questions and offering feedback.

Good answer.

Overall a very solid app, only minor issues that are covered during Mod training.
    +1 from me.

Senior Admin
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've known you both ICly and OOCly for a good while, so I'm not surprised that your answers were mostly good with some minor tweaks that will be ironed out during training.

You are definitely outspoken and have a good idea of what you'd like to see and not see on the server so I don't think motivation would be an issue.

My biggest "concern" if you can even call it that is that I've seen you get jaded about some issues that may or may not have easy solutions to them and understandably frustrated that has made you react in anger. I have however never seen you not take criticism to heart even if you didn't agree with it, so again, if the above is an issue during your tenure as staff, I don't think its anything that you won't course correct when you get feedback about it.

As such this is a fairly easy +1 from me.
    Senior Administrator

Senior Administrator and Mentor Overseer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good answers to the follow-up questions.

Hope to see you on the team soon, +1.
    Trial Moderator: 2021-06-13 --- 2021-07-04
    Moderator: 2021-07-04 --- 2021-10-02
    Investigator: 2021-07-21 --- xxxx-xx-xx
    Trainer: 2021-08-20 --- xxxx-xx-xx
    Discord Staff: 2021-09-20 --- xxxx-xx-xx
    Senior Moderator: 2021-10-02 --- xxxx-xx-xx