User Tag List

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: This server has become a massive hugbox

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This server has become a massive hugbox

I'm honestly baffled with the direction of CM during the last 2 or so years. Every single element of the game has been dumbed down and reduced in favour of PFC players.

Going shipside sucks? Gut the damage system, organ damage and delimbs are rare, IB is a joke.
    Going to a medic sucks? Give every single person healing supplies and a lot of them, why not?
    Xeno 1v1ing me with stuns? Guess what, now xenos have to bend over backwards to even touch a marine.
    Req isn't sending anything down? No problem, grab what you need from

Every single change for the past 2 years has been focused solely on experience of the Squad Marine. And while I'm not against appealing to the larger part of the playerbase, why does it have to come at the cost of killing the server's identity? Playing Marine used to suck, that was the point. You ever seen Aliens? Xenos are the perfect killers, you're SUPPOSED to feel like the odds are against you. Getting game ended by mechanics sucks, sure but every defeat makes the eventual victory all the better. That's what the game used to be about.

But even ignoring the PFC here, why did every other role have to take a hit for it? All support departments took a massive hit. Medical is useless because there's little permament damage, Req is useless because rounds are short, Command is useless because the game flow is extremely static and losing the frontline means you lose the round. And xenos? Many people quit because of MOBA. I don't think the idea behind it was wrong but I'm not a fan of where we ended up with it.

CM being bad for PFC players was the entire point of the server, that was it's identity. That's why so many people made long term friendships here, that's where all the old memes came from. That's why it stood out among the other servers, because it tied all the roles together in an organic way and made people want work together. And now that entire part of the game has been reduced. In favour of what? Laggy, tile based twin stick shooter TDM, where nothing except left clicking enemy sprites matters?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Xenos are not the protagonists. To say the entire game is centered around the PFC players is a bit silly; the changes you mentioned - medical in particular - wasn't requested or was a straight buff what you need to realize is that these changes happened over literally years. When xenos got a buff, marines had to be compensated to keep up and not to lose population as the game wouldn't be fun with a 90/10 xeno win rate - and I'm sure we can agree on that. Additionally, this somewhat bizarre notion that if a singular player manages to 1v1 xenos consistently and win again consistently, that the whole team should be punished for it by a nerf. I don't believe I have to tell you why this is silly. Marines having a high level of skill is rare and I'd say 1 in 25 marine players that spawn into a game are able to maintain a high pace, high kill game but that of course varies.

There is a lot I agree on though, the removal or dumbing down of the need for support roles is just incredibly insane especially when you look back 1 year+ where support roles were all the rage. Honestly, this is to do with the dumbing down of gameplay itself - take pylons for example. Xenos have the ability to cover every strategically important area with these 12x12 CAS/mortar blocking pylons completely negating two support roles. CAS is a entire topic I could go into. Req has been nerfed to the extent where its main purpose is threefold: Ammo, metal and spec ammo. Nothing more nothing less. There is no unique gameplay for req that makes it interesting and the nerfs it has received (DEFCON removal, purchase price increase) makes it a "Make up your own fun role".

I do think that many wrong turns were taken at key development points and not much was done to stop them cough cough game direction cough which has resulted in a stale, unimaginative and a bit of a boring game. But development has been getting better except with the MR hell we currently have.
    Chaotic puppet-master from hell

Dev Team Manager Stan_albatross's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, not one player asked for medtech techwebs insanity and we all wanted it reverted. Recently medical *has* become more complex and harder but there have been mis-steps (funny surgical line should have been kept locked up until kenshimed) and kenshimed is being made to make medical properly hard again.

Ironically the number 1 thing we have to blame for medical being too easy for pfcs was jeser's otherwise amazing vendor update that made medvendors wrenchable and therefore one gets stolen groundside every round. Minimed is being removed anyway.

then we have the issue of groundside surgery which was caused by 3 main things, the removal of suxa which made oxy surgery a thing which makes groundside surgery way faster, the surgical webbing which made it way easier especially for synths when previously synths doing groundside surgery was pretty uncommon, and the general attitude of the playerbase to having to go shipside. Also medevac depreciation which was somewhat made up for.

Bring back IOs buff engineering again nerf medical and make it harder. Organ damage is also rare because xenos target limbs to focus on getting kills rather than doing permadamage. IB was actually made harder to heal via bica OD a while ago (actually like a year ago) but I'll admit is still pretty easy, you also don't see it a lot. Purge kits just got removed so that makes medical more punishing too.

70/30 is dumb as bricks tho
    Karl Karlsson, the man (and sometimes Captain)
    Maxwell, the synth
    Enhath'vot Guan-Dha, the predator
    Also a feature Coder & CM's Maintainer Team Manager

Timeline :
    Spoiler Spoiler:

[CENTER]Retired Synth councilman, forever a member of IO gang

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbertBlackwell View Post
    Xenos are not the protagonists.
    And they never were. But having them be stronger than marines is what allowed Marine personalities to shine. Everyone knew who the good players and the cool people were without having to go on the discord.
    And I disagree with your notion that changes weren't requested, because I vividly remember Neth stating that he wants to make CM "better" (although given the circumstances of his tenure as head dev, I don't blame him for anything).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan_albatross View Post
    IB was actually made harder to heal via bica OD a while ago (actually like a year ago) but I'll admit is still pretty easy, you also don't see it a lot.
    IB is primarily easier to heal because medics use less bicaridine in general, for several reasons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wish there was just some form of direction good or bad because it at least tells me that we know what path we're gonna go down on instead of pretty much quietness and a few projects by some people

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan_albatross View Post
    yeah, not one player asked for medtech techwebs insanity and we all wanted it reverted. Recently medical *has* become more complex and harder b
    Not to mention the slow erosion of features through minor changes

Medical used to have to treat infections, necro, multilarva, shrapnel, more organ damage (why was the appendix removed? Slealthnerf to groin targetting) IB was more deadly, bones rebreaking instantly if above 50 brute damage. Remember washing your hands between surgeries??

The best part of the "timewarp" games was seeing medical be hard again. Now it's so boring that medic is harder..
    Felix the Synth: hat fanatic, nice robot, one time double agent almayer synth executed for sedition. Occasional murderous mopbot.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    IB is primarily easier to heal because medics use less bicaridine in general, for several reasons.
    He's referring to them "correcting" the way it heals. For a while any bica od would instantly heal IB, how it's supposed to work (and was fixed) is that it can only be cured after the affected body part has 0 brute damage.

Its still a PALE shadow of itself.
    Felix the Synth: hat fanatic, nice robot, one time double agent almayer synth executed for sedition. Occasional murderous mopbot.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    damn for someone who absolutely detests what cm has become it sure is living in your brain rent free

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gameplay loop is totally fubar since the queen change to make it she does not have to ovi for larva. This with maturation removal made fast rounds the norm as aliens had nothing holding them back. This same issue was apparent with hugger combat removal as aliens had no reason to hold back and not kill marines, they just focused instead on murdering them.

The gameplay loop has not been adjusted for the queen ovi larva change + the maturation removal and thus messed up various other sections of the game. Since the game ends so fast this made calls to nerf req and medical and now it exists in an awakard state. Fire support got murdered becuase of plyons AND becuase of that stupid change so aliens can now get a massive TEXT WARNING EVEN that mortar or CAS is hitting. Engineering died becuase the powernet got broken back in 2019 and no one knew how to fix it, I mean they did they did it by deleting engineering, big brain amiright?