User Tag List

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: This server has become a massive hugbox

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My impressions after playing for several rounds: feels like "CM lite" but is still relatively fun. On the technical side, it's a lot better with all sorts of bells and whistles that old CM didn't have. But to be sort of cliche here, it's lacking soul. There isn't the same sense of atmosphere, the standards for RP are lower--though not by much, CM always had a crowd of memers and the like. And having cliques of players who did RP a lot created its own problems--and in general it feels more like TDM than it ever did. I also didn't see many improvements, if any, to the gameplay formula. Getting rid of the SD feels like a step backward: no cool final stands, less immersion in actually trying to scuttle the ship, and so on. The new pred ship is pretty sweet tho! Always wanted to see that reworked.

In terms of combat, I left right after the Almayer came out and the end of hugger xenos. I like that the xenomorphs are individually even deadlier in lethal encounters, though there is far less emphasis on them capturing people in return. Despite the years it has been, xenos are still bullet sponges, and I'm not a huge fan of that. But what can you do. I was never great at medical while I played, but I do think that despite being less engaging, the wound system does a decent enough job of making the player vulnerable. Friendly fire is still a pain in the ass, though medical treatment seems to be far more frequent and quicker to get you back on your feet.

My overall impression is that the game moved sideways, and it most notably lacks overarching vision to move forward. Some things are definitely better, specifically on the technical side, some things are not great, like the stale gameplay loop that hasn't changed in 6? years. But my sample size is fairly small, and this is all just my opinion.
    Last edited by forwardslashN; 11-21-2021 at 02:34 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    people bitched non stop about this game back in late 2017, people bitched about it non stop in 2018 and 2019. i do not think CM is ever going to reach a point where everyone is going to be satisfied. personally, i would kill for longer rounds (2-3 hours, with the occasional 4 hour round interspersed) as well as being able to RP again, as some of my best memories are sitting at the FOB and just shooting the shit with marines during the total monotony in particularly long rounds. but trying to find a medium that works for everyone is just never gonna happen IMO, there will always, always be things to complain about. and while i think things can be done to rectify this, i'm not sure we're ever gonna get back to the way things were when they were simpler.

tl;dr all i want is long rounds back and some modicum of RP again, but i've long accepted i probably won't get it.
    Joined the fight November 2015

A strange voice says 'F@c3 m3 1n m0rt@1 c0mb@t'.
    PFC Charles 'Ajax' Hayes says, "Nah."

Long time CM and forum lurker, change character names and appearances as often as putting on a new pair of socks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Obscurify View Post
    people bitched non stop about this game back in late 2017, people bitched about it non stop in 2018 and 2019. i do not think CM is ever going to reach a point where everyone is going to be satisfied. personally, i would kill for longer rounds (2-3 hours, with the occasional 4 hour round interspersed) as well as being able to RP again, as some of my best memories are sitting at the FOB and just shooting the shit with marines during the total monotony in particularly long rounds. but trying to find a medium that works for everyone is just never gonna happen IMO, there will always, always be things to complain about. and while i think things can be done to rectify this, i'm not sure we're ever gonna get back to the way things were when they were simpler.

tl;dr all i want is long rounds back and some modicum of RP again, but i've long accepted i probably won't get it.
    Between 2015 - 2018 it was against server rules to bitch or dislike the game or you'd be banned.
    So indeed that timeline was the best year for CM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fewher View Post
    Between 2015 - 2018 it was against server rules to bitch or dislike the game or you'd be banned.
    So indeed that timeline was the best year for CM.
    remember when you banned my ic character

yeah it was a funny "punishment"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2018 was literally the year of tankbay, flingboosting warriors, and immortal defenders.

Can people please stop fucking bitching about going back to 2018, pick 2019 at least.

Or at least 2017, pre-ovi and pyro/scout specs and queen was just a fat drone that can screech.

Whitelisted Predator ChainsawMullet's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cannot believe this post that just went in circles with random finger-pointing and no cohesive arguments got revived.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ObsidianCrow View Post
    Yeah I was only mentioning it as a skill not necessarily it being good. The problem with shotgun juggling is that usually you can get enough stuns with just one shotgun and the fact that you cant chase like at all. and you're useless against most t3s. and most people cant do it fast enough for it to be worth it. I think double mous is much better albeit you usually dont have a backup weapon so once you fire your shells you can get fucked by a grab. Again though the marine weapons are fairly balanced as of right now. If you die to a shotgun juggler as a woyer all I can say is line up your grab better and have team mates ready to cover.
    MOU juggling is not and will not be balanced. Period

Whitelisted Synthetic Unknownity's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nostalgia glasses are in high supply it seems
    Hows that classic CM server going heh? Surely it must better, surely it isnt filled with people who got banned here and surely its as stable if not more than here Clueless
    Samuel 'Prophet' Logue
    BRAVO n CHARLIE Forever
    "Getting too old for this shit."
    ----
    Synthetic Kyra
    ---
    Yautja Shi'rei Mei'ka
    ----
    POW
    Burrower main

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknownity View Post
    Nostalgia glasses are in high supply it seems
    Hows that classic CM server going heh? Surely it must better, surely it isnt filled with people who got banned here and surely its as stable if not more than here Clueless
    must've missed the part where i said 'i've long accepted i probably won't get it'

weird
    Joined the fight November 2015

A strange voice says 'F@c3 m3 1n m0rt@1 c0mb@t'.
    PFC Charles 'Ajax' Hayes says, "Nah."

Long time CM and forum lurker, change character names and appearances as often as putting on a new pair of socks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ttly View Post
    2018 was literally the year of tankbay, flingboosting warriors, and immortal defenders.

Can people please stop fucking bitching about going back to 2018, pick 2019 at least.

Or at least 2017, pre-ovi and pyro/scout specs and queen was just a fat drone that can screech.
    Early March 2018 was right when spooky disabled the tank for +- a month, not to mention tank bay was still in hangar at that point.
    Warriors and defenders got patched within a week of release and buckshot was still viable, not requiring you to carry 3 shotguns in order to stunlock and kill something.

This was by far the most enjoyable CM period for me, closely followed by Q4 2017 around the time we swapped out the old xeno sprites.

I only really enjoyed 2019 because of Ranged's research rework.
    Last edited by gta5pedestrian3; 12-24-2021 at 09:47 AM.