User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skylark - Ban Appeal (Timed Ban)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skylark - Ban Appeal (Timed Ban)

Ban Appeal
    Byond ID?
    Chippy.Owl
    Character Name?
    Brooklyn Price
    Type of Ban?
    Timed Ban
    Admin who banned you (if known)
    Vitoras
    Total Ban Duration
    Remaining Duration
    What other servers do you play on?
    The only other server I've really played is Baystation 12 for some odd 300+ hours before learning to play CM. Skipcam ( BS 12 admin) might remember me as Skip, as it conflicted with his name in discord calls.
    Are you now or have you been banned on any servers? Which ones?
    Never.
    Reason for Ban
    Banned by Host: Reason: Multikeying, apply permaban when possible. Expires 6.9 days By: vitoras For more information go to https://cm-ss13.com/viewforum.php?f=76
    Link to previous appeals for the same ban (if applicable):
    -
    Your appeal, including evidence (screenshots, etc)
    The following are screen-captures of me reporting myself during an admin help ticket. They will be in order of occurrence.

https://imgur.com/a/0mgEQLj

[Firstly I'd like to note I am confused about the status of my ban. In the screenshot I am told "I have no choice but to permaban you." ...though my ban appears to have 7 days worth of minutes. When I attempt to connect, I do not get an error code of the nature described for permabans when attempting to connect. I will create a proper appeal if this one has been made incorrectly.]

I understand I've broken a very serious rule that has a zero tolerance policy. Failure to respect this rule disrupts the intended balance of the game. Thankfully I can make this appeal in confidence because I have never abused multikeying in any meta oriented fashion or for any ill-intent. It was purely out of a lack of understanding for the defcon system, which I believed to be event related; and the advice of others.
    I will happily wait out my 7 days (if that's all I get) if the Team or, whomever this may concern, decides I must endure the consequences of my own actions for the sake of principle (or fairness).

I also understand this would look better for me if I'd been present on the forums before this time.
    My only excuse for having mostly ignored the forums is because I wasn't aware of how integral it is to the CM community.
    ----------
    Ironically, this came up during my inquiry about applying to staff or mapping for the server. I doubt it will make a difference in my appeal, but I do want it to be clear, for the record, that I genuinely do appreciate this hidden gem of a game with the 200+ hours of accumulative experience I've had learning it. Nothing would sicken me more than to be exiled to the copy-cat servers. I would much more prefer to nurture and aid the game and community as a whole, to improve the experience for everyone.
    My only witnesses to this are people who see my inquiries and suggestions in OOC or LOOC. The friends I've taught to play have gone separate ways, so I can't ask them to be a witness. I have no choice but to come clean in the forums in hopes to someday soon call CM-ss13 my passion project or hobby.

From a disabled young man with too much time on his hands between treatments, physical therapy and college: Thank you for your time and or consideration.

-Skylark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Notes:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! I was looking forward to seeing my notes. I've spent my time, since posting this, reading resolved appeals to help measure my odds and the way the team handles this. I feel like a complete moron for not being aware of the professional nature which you folks display. I wish more communities could function like this.

What a turn of events this morning has been. I actually (strangely) lit up after reviewing the rating system and records! I should have some extra notes detailing some back-sass to staff when I was newer and believed the staff to be more casually oriented. I admittedly become bull-headed if I can't understand the depths of how I was wrong. Like the one time I fired near Carson and got an instant staff message saying: Don't shoot Carson. I was pissed because I felt like he was being puppy guarded by staff, kind of like some sort of celebrity and his god tier bouncers. I made the conversation more dramatic whilst defending my side. That I intentionally fired /near/ him just to make him jump... cause what kind of noob can resist having an interaction with 'THE LEGENDARY XO' I'd heard of before even playing for the first time? I did it for attention at worst and a chuckle at best. Notice me senpai Carson!

The shit I talk between rounds is to challenge players to do better, if not pure salt over the decisions which lead to my sudden death. 8 times out of 10 I'll type a tip into deadchat or the end round OOC to share my newly learned lesson.
    Last edited by Skylark; 02-16-2019 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Spelling error in the sentence before last.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oops. I just realized the question "Are you now or have you been banned on any servers? Which ones?" Did not read, "Other servers". The notes detailed my tempbans anyways but I don't want to come across as lying or underselling my case.

The event which I 'took the tank for a joy ride' was my most memorable round ever. I thought I had transcended from MRP to HRP in the scenario that our captain/XO was giving us suicidal orders. I wanted to hold what I thought was certain death by waves of xenos from getting through North Nexus while being ordered to relocate to West Nexus to support some effectively dug-in marines holding the West side. I've never thought about appealing for this before because it was so much the opposite of intentional grief. I did wait until the last moment where the XO ordered marines to 'kill the rogue tank', before actually running any marines over. You can't body block a tank, but the marines tried, lol. All the MPs learned tasers do nothing to a tank (which was HILARIOUS), so I sat still until the marines reluctantly began following orders to attack me. And then I learned that XO orders are reinforced by admins, exclusively for special roles like the one I was holding. I thought I was being in character the entire time, and doing a damn good job of it too. I thought it was my best round until the bwoinks.
    Last edited by Skylark; 02-16-2019 at 06:39 PM. Reason: corrected 'anyone' to 'any marines' + added MP/tank interaction

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do the ckey's of Whispy.Woes, and Skip Skylark mean anything towards you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, they are my alternate accounts. Am I supposed to enter multiple Byond IDs in the ID field? It asks for a singular ID so I entered the one I use the most. As I stated before, I only created these accounts (skip skylark was my original) under the advice of others through LOOC during dropship transits. My time spent with Baystation should be under both Skip Skylark and Whispy.Woes for the sake of throwing off other players' antag suspicions (valid hunting) or habitual expectations I displayed in the process of learning to play during lowpop hours on antag rounds.
    Last edited by Skylark; 02-16-2019 at 06:56 PM. Reason: spelling errors

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok well, You literally admitted to ban evading your job ban by using a different ckey. You have a jobban on your Whispy.Woes account from xeno and your notes on Chippy.Owl show that you've been playing xeno. I understand that its a long time ago but frankly our rules do not allow multikeying at all and also you're clearly aware that you ban evading the job bans which is also not allowed. So I'm going for a -1 dude.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two things.

1. How it works is a moderator cannot permanently ban you, but can only ban you for 7 days and then file a request with EmeraldBlood to permanently ban you.

2. Were you aware of our server rules regarding multikeying and ban evasion?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. I understand, thank you.

2. I was not aware that job bans qualified for 'ban evasion' category. I thought that job bans were the ultimate slap on the wrist, as you lose whatever history or reputation you'd built upon that character since you can't explain the OOC reasons behind the sudden change thanks to 'first contact' rp rules. I thought ban evasion referred to dodging permanent account-wide bans by using another account or VPN.

Being unable to transition into xeno felt like punishment enough to that account's character which is why I mostly stopped using it. The only time I would log-respawn is during an exciting round or event, since I don't have much fun ghosting. Due to the unpredictable fashion of the game each round, it's near impossible to weave a schedule around playing this game when you have the time. Had I been aware of the defcon system and the importance of job ban evasions, I would've simply not played for the lack of time I'd get to play. I know it's asking a lot of faith when I say I never abused this for meta gaming, but that's the truth to why I'm confident about my innocence here. Yes I was naive and it is my responsibility to know better, however. Because of how easy it was to do, and the lack of damages I caused while doing it, I didn't think twice about it. I really thought the appeals to clean your record /only/ mattered if you were interested in becoming staff. I presumed it to be something like "Get IP banned for anything too severe, Get soft banned for warnings, get perma bans acting as three strikes building up to an IP ban." The only thing I set out to do was be an active cog in the machine to help the RP of each round. I see no sins in that. But I do see error in being obtusely arrogant. My only excuse for this is my personal love for experiencing games on a trial-and-error basis. If I can take the opportunity to have someone teach me rather than a wiki, I'll take it every time (though with a boulder of salt these days). This preference for learning is why I have a meta-comms warning. That was another self-reported note I believe. I was introducing my friend to his first ss13 game and was explaining the base mechanics over comms while explaining gameplay related stuff IC. The only reason I got the warning is because I asked if it was possible I could get my friend reassigned to my squad to teach him as we go on. That was the last person I brought to this game because the info overload was too overwhelming for them. Am I a bad guy because I shoot myself in the foot and nobody else?

I've been skimming over each section of the wiki for a refresher since I mostly used it on an as-needed basis rather than an entire guide. It has certainly improved!
    Last edited by Skylark; 02-16-2019 at 08:24 PM. Reason: changed "user" to "account-wide"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm getting that feeling I only get at the DMV. The amount of weight held to a non-crime is overbearing and shakes my interest to regain access or potentially apply.

I'm confirmed not to be a griefer or a problematic player in general, and this isn't an issue apparently until you guys become aware of it... So I'm seriously at a loss for trying to understand what I've done wrong except for having made an attempt to join your team.

Had I not tried this with earnest intentions, I wouldn't have been banned and could continue to enjoy being one of the few actually HRP capable players. This in confusing.

Why would an aspirant mapper want to get themselves kicked out of the very community they're trying to become a part of simply by way of passive conversation? I frankly expected a little more humanity. Is this somehow detrimental to the way byond functions? I can't think of anything else.

As a matter of fact, the entire reason I opened up on this topic was to discuss the status of my accounts and whether or not they would be a problem to my application. I sought to review my accounts with staff in order to makes sure I was doing things correctly... and got banned for it with no chance to explain why I would even rat on myself. Am I thought to simply have 10 IQ and am pulling all this out of thin air?
    Last edited by Skylark; 02-16-2019 at 08:59 PM. Reason: additional sentence added.