Joe Generico
    Their BYOND Key
    LilPenpusher
    Approximate time and date of the incident
    9:30 AM
    Which Staff Protocols (//showthrea...-and-Protocols) were broken
    Enforcement of the rules, preserve rp and enjoyment
    Description of the incident
    LilPenpusher PM'd me at the start of a new round, saying that my name was; "not an acceptable name" (My characters name is 'Joe Generico').
    I told him I've had this name for 2.5 years, and that it's within acceptability being that its not a reference to anything while, yes, its a bit jokey, its not like im playing out 'Generico' as a meme. LilPenpusher then told me that players had to get approval from management for names??? I'm so confused at this part, really, because I've been playing CM for 3 years, and while I had a hiatus where I hadn't played for a few months, this new rule is totally alien to me -- but the thing is, I cant find a rule anywhere where it was detailed that players must get approvement for management to have a name?

The trial mod (LilPenpusher) then told me that my name is obviously a direct reference to a meme called "Mister Generico" (I haven't heard of it, ever, and I've had the name 'Joe Generico' for 2 and a half years so im sure that my name predates whatever meme hes talking about)

In response, I said: "whats mister generico? ive had this character named this for 2 and a half years, and the rules say if its a reference to anything that it shouldnt be like youre acting like that character, and if its memey than it should be acceptable. "generico" is acceptable according to both of these clarifications"

Trial mod then told me he will NOT argue the case, and that he WILL change my name.

As of writing this, he has changed my name via VV or something. It also sucks, too, becoming part of a community then having to become unrecognizable again because some trial mod forced me to change my name.
    EvidenceWhat resolution are you seeking?
    At first, I didn't want this guy to have this tmod stripped from him, but he's just been pretentious throughout the whole incident. I want to have my name approved, like he told me to, and preferably his trial mod period.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dogfood.jpg

Dog food rp moment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    also, this if you wanna argue "well even though it complies with CM rules, its not a valid surname"

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...65/unknown.png

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, relevant TMod here who handled this case.

I saw the user with the name 'Joe Generico' on the manifest and, instead of immediately PM'ing them, went into Msay to discuss if the name was within boundaries, but Msay audience unanimously agreed that it was a joke name and that the player should be bwoinked for it.

Thus, I DM'd them and informed them the name violated our naming standards, and that they sadly have to change the name.

I would like to stress that during this whole ordeal, the Player insisted he 'has been playing for many years with this name' which is irrelevant. The name 'Generico', Italian or not, struck literally every staff member online as a joke name because it's in obvious reference to 'generic', i.e. 'Generic Marine'. Your first name wasn't Italian either, and if it were I would have probably let it slip.

The Player's notes revealed that, in 2018, he had already adopted this name and been WARNED about it - which was in obvious opposition to their claim of 'I was happily using this name for 3 years and nothing ever happened' since even then it was considered non-conform. There was no note by a Management figure declaring that their name had ever been sanctioned and that it was fine.

The player ultimately decided to tab out of the game while it progressed to 'get clarification'. I waited for about 20 minutes for them to return, but they did not, at which point I DM'd them one last time and told them to just keep playing and DM a Manager about the name after, but that I would have to change their Marine Name for the rest of the round henceforth, which I did (changed to Joe Smith). I also informed the Player that if they had any further, relevant questions or had received clarifications from a Manager during this time, they could and should DM me back or ahelp to get staff's attention so that the name could be reverted - assuming a Manager allowed it.

So far I have not received word that this name is fine and every Staff I've asked finds this to be a joke name. That's my POV.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LilPenpusher View Post
    Hello, relevant TMod here who handled this case.

I saw the user with the name 'Joe Generico' on the manifest and, instead of immediately PM'ing them, went into Msay to discuss if the name was within boundaries, but Msay audience unanimously agreed that it was a joke name and that the player should be bwoinked for it.

Thus, I DM'd them and informed them the name violated our naming standards, and that they sadly have to change the name.

I would like to stress that during this whole ordeal, the Player insisted he 'has been playing for many years with this name' which is irrelevant. The name 'Generico', Italian or not, struck literally every staff member online as a joke name because it's in obvious reference to 'generic', i.e. 'Generic Marine'. Your first name wasn't Italian either, and if it were I would have probably let it slip.

The Player's notes revealed that, in 2018, he had already adopted this name and been WARNED about it - which was in obvious opposition to their claim of 'I was happily using this name for 3 years and nothing ever happened' since even then it was considered non-conform. There was no note by a Management figure declaring that their name had ever been sanctioned and that it was fine.

The player ultimately decided to tab out of the game while it progressed to 'get clarification'. I waited for about 20 minutes for them to return, but they did not, at which point I DM'd them one last time and told them to just keep playing and DM a Manager about the name after, but that I would have to change their Marine Name for the rest of the round henceforth, which I did (changed to Joe Smith). I also informed the Player that if they had any further, relevant questions or had received clarifications from a Manager during this time, they could and should DM me back or ahelp to get staff's attention so that the name could be reverted - assuming a Manager allowed it.

So far I have not received word that this name is fine and every Staff I've asked finds this to be a joke name. That's my POV.

So... What? You're saying I have to have a full ethnic name for it to "slip"? Given that this is supposed to be American, foreigners will often 'Americanize' their names. E.g; "Ben Nguyen" (While Nguyen is a Vietnamese name, the person may have chosen to keep their surname and instead just take on a western first name). So, your argument makes no sense here. Also, I'd consulted with staff on the discord and they said it was fine. At the time, it was only you, another trialmod, and a moderator online. So if you meant to say that you asked on the discord (Which according to you, you haven't, you say you asked via ingame chat), then your story doesn't add up.

Generico is in no way excessively memey. If you want me to make it an 'Ethnic' name, then I'll just make it Arrividerci Generico or some excessively memey stuff so you can see how it'd be better with how I originally had it. If you're gonna bwoink some random marine because his name is 'Generico', and make a big deal out of when I just want to play the game and have fun, then maybe you should consider other options for aiding the CM community: because this doesn't appear to be a good fit for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not as if me having the name "Joe Generico" is ruining someones experience, where names like "Harry Potter" can be generated with the auto name generator. Not to mention the more over-the-top examples, like "Omicron Sigma" or "Wamakahana-Windhealer". I have nothing against these two players, by the way, but if you're going to get on my ass for a tame and fitting name like "Joe Generico", then you should really pay attention to the other examples of what you call 'LRP'.

Also, just because an audience agrees that action should be taken, do you immediately jump to the conclusion that the person is in the wrong and cannot be redeemed? It was almost as if you weren't listening to my case, you literally responded by telling me not to argue with you... Hence why, in my report, I said you were being kinda pretentious. This could have been cleared up by me explaining this all, because yes, it is an acceptable name -- It's not a direct reference to ANYTHING (I came up with it myself), and its not over the top or memey. It's a believable name in my opinion, if not a little funny, but that shouldn't stop people from having their characters named unique things -- like mine is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm perfectly fine with repealing my request for you to have your trial moderator stripped if you'd actually bother to listen to me this time, because you're the one who made me go into the forums about this since you neglected to listen to me at all and act like your ruling was an impenetrable case that cannot be argued against. That's the reason I came to the forum, to actually argue my point instead of having you just tell me over and over again that your ruling is final. I'm not accepting that, because I know my name falls withing naming regulations, unless you should decide to change them today to specifically ban any verbs or adjectives from being used in names; which would make it so you'd have to confront many other players like me who slip little (ACCEPTABLE) jokes into our characters names.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I.. what? I literally told you that you I ENCOURAGE you to take the matter up with Management, since they have the authority to let you keep a name or not. I never pretended like I was god almighty and my ruling was absolute.

I told you "I will not be arguing about this" because when staff makes a call in DMs you don't argue with them, it's in our rules. I made the ultimate call that your name was not within the boundaries of our naming standards, and told you to please take it to a Manager so that you may keep the name. I was respectful towards you throughout, and heavily advised you to get clarification and approval. I even waited 20+ minutes or so while you were tabbed out getting said clarification on Discord, at which point I DM'd you one last time and changed your name because it was becoming a bit of a hold-up.

If you want to make the honest case that "I wasn't going for 'Generic Marine'-type meme name but instead going for an Italian name - then yes, you can 100% do that and I encouraged you to make your case in our discussion. I never told you to simply sit down and shut up and bite the bullet. I *did* tell you that I would HAVE to change your name for THAT round, because when someone is perceived to have an unsuitable name staff have to change it. That's just how it is. If you get approval from Management after, and they slip a note in for you letting staff know the name is fine, then cool, no problem.

The added fact that you had already received a warning for your name in 2018 - the year you claim to have started using the name - was also suspicious to me. In the end I used my own discretion in enforcing naming standards. If you had wanted to make a case to keep your name, then a simple DM to a Manager would have done it. I was never meaning to appear hostile or dismissive towards you - quite the opposite, I felt like I understood your frustration very well, but there's little for me to do as staff in that situation if there are no Managers online in-game. I just have to tell you to pick a new name and DM one on Discord later, which is what I did.

You have my apologies for seemingly acting rude, as it was not the intent. I still stand by my ruling and it's ultimately up to a Management decision if it's going to be seen as valid or not. I always told you it was up to them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh0706 View Post
    Staff Report
    Your BYOND Key
    Josh0706
    Date of Incident
    November 13, 2021
    Your Character Name?
    Joe Generico
    Their BYOND Key
    LilPenpusher
    Approximate time and date of the incident
    9:30 AM
    Which Staff Protocols (//showthrea...-and-Protocols) were broken
    Enforcement of the rules, preserve rp and enjoyment
    Description of the incident
    LilPenpusher PM'd me at the start of a new round, saying that my name was; "not an acceptable name" (My characters name is 'Joe Generico').
    I told him I've had this name for 2.5 years, and that it's within acceptability being that its not a reference to anything while, yes, its a bit jokey, its not like im playing out 'Generico' as a meme. LilPenpusher then told me that players had to get approval from management for names??? I'm so confused at this part, really, because I've been playing CM for 3 years, and while I had a hiatus where I hadn't played for a few months, this new rule is totally alien to me -- but the thing is, I cant find a rule anywhere where it was detailed that players must get approvement for management to have a name?

The trial mod (LilPenpusher) then told me that my name is obviously a direct reference to a meme called "Mister Generico" (I haven't heard of it, ever, and I've had the name 'Joe Generico' for 2 and a half years so im sure that my name predates whatever meme hes talking about)

In response, I said: "whats mister generico? ive had this character named this for 2 and a half years, and the rules say if its a reference to anything that it shouldnt be like youre acting like that character, and if its memey than it should be acceptable. "generico" is acceptable according to both of these clarifications"

Trial mod then told me he will NOT argue the case, and that he WILL change my name.

As of writing this, he has changed my name via VV or something. It also sucks, too, becoming part of a community then having to become unrecognizable again because some trial mod forced me to change my name.
    EvidenceWhat resolution are you seeking?
    At first, I didn't want this guy to have this tmod stripped from him, but he's just been pretentious throughout the whole incident. I want to have my name approved, like he told me to, and preferably his trial mod period.

UPDATE!!! LilPenpusher has now BANNED ME for not changing my name. This is totally not necessary, and I think that is important that as soon as this is read his trial mod is revoked and this is investigated. He is overstepping his authority and power tripping over a name.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oooook.

So, Josh apparently openly ignored my ruling on his name since I made it, and didn't wait for this report to resolve itself appropriately. He continued using 'Joe Generico' as his name, which made me PM him again. He didn't initially respond, so I had to DM him a second time to get anything. He was openly disrespectful, telling me he was 'fed up with my shit' and declared he wouldn't respect my ruling. I placed a 3 Hour ban for toxicity in staff DMs in combination to ignoring my prior ruling.

Admin PMs:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

3 Hour Ban note:

Spoiler Spoiler: