User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pylons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Pylons

HI! I'm a Marine main. I'm tired of seeing Xenos complain that their precious pylons have been taken away. So we should give them back, and I'm serious! What do pylons do? Stop mortar shells and CAS, effectively making two fun/rewarding aspects of marine absolutely useless. With no counterplay besides getting in melee range, there is little reason to do support by fire. So let's add counterplay! How does the actual military get into concrete bunkers with artillery? Timed Shells.

Timed Shells/Airburst: Mortar operator sets a timed fuze on a selected shell. Shell flies through the air has a %chance to penetrate pylon.
    Pros:
    A lucky shot could destroy a pylon.
    Shelling is useful

Cons:
    Smaller explosion because it landed on the ground (Most shells explode right before they touch the ground)
    More Inaccurate because shells can bounce
    Xenos have time to react

Keeper: Keepers are damn AP missiles they should be able to penetrate and destroy pylons

Overall what does this do? It allows counterplay against pylons that doesn't involve Bonzai charging a poor PVT. Open to suggestions as I don't play Xeno a whole lot.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fuck your pylons """"kelvin shaw"""""

pylons invalidate an entire role and i dont really think they're necessary anymore because you get giant ass warnings in red.

adding counterplay to it needs a dev who wants to work on it and removes resources from another project that they're working on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might be the first "Marine Main" that wants pylons back.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pylons are bad, you get 900 alerts and sounds telling you lead rain is coming. If you die to it, skill issue.
    Synth Gaming

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I play as both and I can tell you it is not fun to instantly die to something out of air. Most of the time you will get a warning, but sometimes not. I was told that the thing that killed me a couple of times is 'direct fire' what ever that means. I scrolled back every time and there were no lines saying a shell approaching (I know after a few the text gets smaller) or skyfire or anything. Literally no warning and instant death. Well that would be really unfun as a marine player why do you think it is fun for xenomorphs to die like that?

My suggestion would be to keep pylon. Let it defend against 1 or 2 shells (so it can not be abused by spamming with 2 mortars, rather it should protect from the first volley). Once it absorbed the first few shells, it should be destroyed by the mortar and let the other shells through. Obviously this needs a message pop up to let xenos knew or some graphic like a shock wave animation, so xenos will see their pylon is gone. I think this would be fair for both teams.

Dev Team Manager Stan_albatross's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mightbearetard View Post
    I play as both and I can tell you it is not fun to instantly die to something out of air. Most of the time you will get a warning, but sometimes not. I was told that the thing that killed me a couple of times is 'direct fire' what ever that means. I scrolled back every time and there were no lines saying a shell approaching (I know after a few the text gets smaller) or skyfire or anything. Literally no warning and instant death. Well that would be really unfun as a marine player why do you think it is fun for xenomorphs to die like that?

My suggestion would be to keep pylon. Let it defend against 1 or 2 shells (so it can not be abused by spamming with 2 mortars, rather it should protect from the first volley). Once it absorbed the first few shells, it should be destroyed by the mortar and let the other shells through. Obviously this needs a message pop up to let xenos knew or some graphic like a shock wave animation, so xenos will see their pylon is gone. I think this would be fair for both teams.
    Direct fire has no text warning because it is fired directly on to a CAS laser or flare. Don't stand on red dots or green flares, and listen out for CAS sound warnings.
    Karl Karlsson, the man (and sometimes Captain)
    Maxwell, the synth
    Enhath'vot Guan-Dha, the predator
    Also a feature Coder & CM's Maintainer Team Manager

Timeline :
    Spoiler Spoiler:

[CENTER]Retired Synth councilman, forever a member of IO gang

Whitelisted Captain
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This already exist as a MR and it's called Breaching mortar. Nanu's latest comment there about waiting for sprites is a bit cryptic, since if pylons are probably getting removed, why do you need ammo to breach them? Probably gonna be used to breach hive core I guess.

I too was originally thinking among the lines of, well not mortar, but giving POs antipylon SEAD mission and weaponry, but eventually decided that integrated infantry solution is better, so came up with giving marines a specialized anti-materiel rifle.
    Roman 'Fire' Kacew

Dev Team Manager Stan_albatross's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sg2002 View Post
    This already exist as a MR and it's called Breaching mortar. Nanu's latest comment there about waiting for sprites is a bit cryptic, since if pylons are probably getting removed, why do you need ammo to breach them? Probably gonna be used to breach hive core I guess.

I too was originally thinking among the lines of, well not mortar, but giving POs antipylon SEAD mission and weaponry, but eventually decided that integrated infantry solution is better, so came up with giving marines a specialized anti-materiel rifle.
    pylon removal is not set in stone, it could easily be taken out of the xeno defence changes MR, with the breaching mortar or your one being opted for as a solution.

I think that being able to upgrade a few hive clusters to pylons on a bit of a cooldown, plus a weaker/expensive breaching mortar as a counter would be an elegant solution.
    Karl Karlsson, the man (and sometimes Captain)
    Maxwell, the synth
    Enhath'vot Guan-Dha, the predator
    Also a feature Coder & CM's Maintainer Team Manager

Timeline :
    Spoiler Spoiler:

[CENTER]Retired Synth councilman, forever a member of IO gang

Whitelisted Captain
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see two main drawbacks about anti-pylon mortar. Firstly, it may make it too easy, since you can just easily triangulate pylon position then easily launch a coordinated strike with say mortar hitting it and then CAS immediately hitting it within a couple of seconds. My rifle MR gives xenos a clear indication, as long as marines have no direct line of fire to the pylon, it's safe. And xenos now have to actually protect their pylons more. So they can contest anti-pylon pushes, while you can't really contest the breaching mortar. The second thing is that breaching mortar would require 3 men for CAS, since just the JTAC and the PO can't really suppress the pylon on their own. And mortar may be unavailable, either req didn't drop it, no operator and so on. While if the JTAC has my rifle he can just catch some ungas to help him get rid of the pylon, so this promotes more frontline teamwork too, instead of fire support just doing their thing on it's own.
    Roman 'Fire' Kacew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think i've died twice to mortar and cas in all of my time as xeno and thats when I was bald so IDK removing pylons seems fine. usually even direct hits dont kill anything and its only really useful when the marines are in disadvantage anyway