User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pylons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont think anyone is against balancing CAS..

There is lots of variables to play with:
    - Warnings
    - Impact time
    - Ammo economy
    - Number of shots
    - Damage per shell
    - Size of impact
    - Delay between shots
    - Flight properties
    and so on..

Pylons however touch none of that, it just shuts down a deep area of the game.

Whitelisted Captain
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've explained this before on discord, and sadly my video is not very good, but I don't have a better one at the moment, so here we again:

CM has been getting a lot more trench warfare-like lately. Thanks to more effective MGs and techwebs sentries. So lets use the trench warfare terms here. When xenos are fighting the main marine line, they do their usual hit and runs. Since attacking in the open is usually not a good idea for T3s, they want to start at safe positions that are as close to the marines as possible. Lets call them jump off points. A classic jump off point is some walls, a pylon and a recovery node. Lets remove pylons from the equation. Then lets just blatantly aim fire support at the jump off point. Now xenos have 3 options:
    1. Attack marines from that point and risk dying, see my clip.
    2. Defend the point and get CASed.
    3. Retreat from it.

So unrestricted fire support, when properly done, just completely forces xenos out of the colony.

In terms of balancing CAS, well all of the people supporting pylons removal gonna support CAS be made more deadly, less warnings, faster impact time and so on. I've already seen people requesting that. There's already some new ammo, that's apparently quite scary. And honestly I'm more fine with that, than with pylons removal, because yeah, you can dodge. It's just that you can't dodge and fight 100 marines at the same time.
    Roman 'Fire' Kacew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sg2002 View Post
    I've explained this before on discord, and sadly my video is not very good, but I don't have a better one at the moment, so here we again:

CM has been getting a lot more trench warfare-like lately. Thanks to more effective MGs and techwebs sentries. So lets use the trench warfare terms here. When xenos are fighting the main marine line, they do their usual hit and runs. Since attacking in the open is usually not a good idea for T3s, they want to start at safe positions that are as close to the marines as possible. Lets call them jump off points. A classic jump off point is some walls, a pylon and a recovery node. Lets remove pylons from the equation. Then lets just blatantly aim fire support at the jump off point. Now xenos have 3 options:
    1. Attack marines from that point and risk dying, see my clip.
    2. Defend the point and get CASed.
    3. Retreat from it.

So unrestricted fire support, when properly done, just completely forces xenos out of the colony.

In terms of balancing CAS, well all of the people supporting pylons removal gonna support CAS be made more deadly, less warnings, faster impact time and so on. I've already seen people requesting that. There's already some new ammo, that's apparently quite scary. And honestly I'm more fine with that, than with pylons removal, because yeah, you can dodge. It's just that you can't dodge and fight 100 marines at the same time.
    But the problem with your argument is the fact that if marines have been pushed out of the caves, the xenos are winning. They have the advantage. So giving the marines more defensive tools is akin to the xenos caves (cas proof and chokepointed on most maps) where xenos have the advantage.
    Last edited by ObsidianCrow; 11-16-2021 at 04:29 PM.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just change the basic idea behind CAS. Currently it is supposed to damage xenos and damage/destroy their defences. This is bad.
    Instead, treat them like real-world armies treat minefields. A minefield isn't supposed to primarly kill the enemy, but to force it to change tactics, block certain area, slow their movement etc.

So make it just like that. Ramp up damage, area of effect and the duration of CAS, but make it super obvious and have way slower impact (I'm talking 10 to even 20 seconds). This way CAS will serve as area denial, to cover flanks etc.

I just quite don't get it how getting kills via CAS/Motar/OB is any satisfying. "Oh yeah, I killed 4 brainless xenos who didn't notice all of the warnings, what a thrill, what a skill achivement!"
    Might as well roll the dice each time CAS/OB is shot and if it hits 6, then you kill a random beno. The same effect.
    Then you can safely remove Pylons and it will be all fine and dandy. Benos already have basically full map control. If area doesn't have any marine in it, it is beno-controlled. So a good, big and long area denial would be perfect, especially on those big lame maps like new prison. 9/10 times marines die, because they rush the hive, go half the map, then get flanked and die. This would adress this obvious map flaw.

You might not like it, but its the perfect solution.

Whitelisted Captain
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You what, Cabal, I was actually thinking about making GAU into sort of a marine boiler. It would telegraph like a boiler does and then everything going through that area would get shot, but with limited IFF. So it's something that marines would use to give themselves limited fire support while starting pushes from the FOB.

Marines already have lots of defensive tools and the creep continues and is gonna continue. What's happening in that clip is a small flanking force of xenos pulling some marines from the main push. Xenos were not winning that round and they didn't won.
    Roman 'Fire' Kacew

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    snip
    This really sounds interesting, an offensive CAS that isn't designed to kill benos and allows marines to walk trough. Which is a shame, since its interesting, it won't be ever added to CM. Only lame stuff allowed.

This falls into the category of what I meant. Even devmemes agreed that dying to something offscreen is bad (SADAR scope removal and general effective range decrease on every weapon, etc). Its super unfun to die to a CAS/Mortar/OB and its not fun to kill anything with that other than "yeah, dumb beno killed himself".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bet barely any of you have mained CAS PO ever.
    Chaotic puppet-master from hell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People who think CAS is ok need to touch grass and actually play it for at least 30 rounds and realise it is not okay right now
    Just because it worked 2 years ago doesn't mean it still works now lmao

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, here I am openly saying that pylons should be kept. And I play a lot of SL, does this count as JTAC role? Also, marines are literally getting a smoke grenade upgrade that's gonna block boiler gas.

A role played by like 2 people should not completely upset the game balance. It can complement it, but the emphasis should be on the infantry vs xeno combat. Support roles like CAS should bring more depth to gameplay, not remove it. Unlimited CAS just trivializes any non-cave combat and especially FOB sieges.
    Only counts if you actively use the LD, and have tried to do anything with it while pylons are spam-able. Else it's a moot point. That being said I do agree with your points, CAS and Mortar are genuinely powerful enough to upset the balance of a round. But I'm not arguing how to make that less relevant or anything. Only how fucking aids pylons are, were, and will always be because the heads won't approve any god damn change to them. Test merges be damned, I'll believe it when I see it.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just walk away ratio + quote tweet + bozo