User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just another predator rant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just another predator rant

Last night (midnight EST-ish) there was a 3 hour game that the predators were influencing way more than usual. They had mines or something out, and would trap xenos. A few of us xenos tried to save another xeno from a trap and nearby predator, but I think the predator took that as a challenge and killed the xeno. Mind you this was a 18 (now 17) vs 80, back and forth, nail-biting game and here we are forced to be playing around with predators.

Later that match I hear other xenos saying that the predators are really doing a number on those tallhosts. I am thinking: that's not any better than what they did to us though. Why are the predators joining in as a third faction?

I thought predators were supposed to be the clowns of CM adding spice to RP, not a determining faction for who is winning the match. They exist to add RP elements, and kill downtime between heavy fights. Maybe they steal a single useless items from marines, or an alien WILLINGLY wants to fight one because a predator poked it. Even if the predators are randomly harassing players not at the frontlines, those xenos around the map still play an important scouting or transport role and shouldn't be forced to play games with predators.

Now, WHAT THE HELL is up with admin's relationship with predators?! I ahelp over these predators (I saw 3, someone said there were 6) and the admins were like "yea well I am not sure if they are following their honor code but you should DM someone about it". After the match when I brought this up besides some other salty players I get responses like:

OOC: Ediblebomb: HEY TO ANYBODY WHO IS SALTY ABOUT THE PREDS, COPE,SEETHE

The next match 3 more predators were in a circle so I copy-pasted that message to them and the admins are like "please don't do that". OOHH THANK YOU ADMINS FOR DOING YOUR JOB (and actually yes thanks for being there) but where the hell were you for the actual predator harassment? I brought that up a little more nicely and they were like "We don't really deal with the predators, it is up to the whitelist council to deal with them". What do you mean you don't deal with them?! You oversee the match for any rule breaking and you have no insight over their honor system nor ability to punish THEM but when it comes to ME you can do whatever you want?! A real world example would be like:

Man: "Police officer a man broke into my house and is stealing my stuff!"
    cop: "Don't worry let me straighten this out"
    *cop checks on the thief*
    cop: "Yea sorry, the thief is actually a rich politician and he might be allowed to do that for all I know. It is up to the city council to decide what the rich can do, I am not sure myself. Go to the council with evidence if you want something done."

Admins are there in the game, and are the ones with power to actually do something on the spot. Why are they powerless in these situations? Why do they not know what predators can and cannot do? Why is the only thing they can do is punish those harassing the predators, not the predators themselves? Are predators just rich donators who can do whatever the hell they want to matches? Serious last question.

Due to bullshit like this predators get such a bad reputation too. Even the first time I played xenos months ago the other xenos basically said they were assholes you don't mess with or you die. Not even respectable hunters or other tags like that, nope, pretty much any description I have heard comes with assholes in some way or form. Over my time that I have seen predator interaction I have seen:

Favorable Predator RP:
    -fog up wait time, xenos made fight club circle and predator and single xeno fought WITHOUT each side killing each other
    -1v1s by ravenger or other T2/3 challenging predator. Death or not, they both signed up for it. If a xeno asked if they could fight without death preadator said they wouldn't promise something like that, so the xeno knew they could die doing this.
    -5-10 minutes after marines leave the planet where xenos chase down a predator.

Unfavorable Predator RP:
    -an active firefight was going on, and the predator was killing weeds nearby. Other times poking xenos close to action. Stop making xenos life hard.
    -Almost every time a xeno falls into their random traps
    -Almost every time they approach marines and either side is hostile. Seriously, they are wasting marine supplies and concentration over shananagans they didn't sign up for. I can see them doing something like stealthing and trying to take some useless ammo box and a marine or 2 fires towards him as he runs away, but don't bring a squad into this.
    -Saving dead marines that aliens managed to trap (the particular example I am thinking of MIGHT have been a scout on stims). I wouldn't mind if predator baited marines into finding a dead marine in the middle of nowhere, but he shouldn't flat out pick him up.
    -killing lone marines, or protecting lone marines from xenos.

Predators just seem to be overpowered gods that you have to lick their feet as they strut around or they will bully you, and don't bother with admins because they can't touch them. Thanks assholes. Why do they think adding this frustration would be fun?

Dev Team Manager Stan_albatross's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    -an active firefight was going on, and the predator was killing weeds nearby. Other times poking xenos close to action. Stop making xenos life hard

Yeah the pred has no reason for doing this since they don't even get slowed down by weeds. This is clearly against the spirit of the WL and you should make a player report about it.

-Almost every time a xeno falls into their random traps

Eh, random traps are cringe but not really against HC unless they get put in high traffic areas deliberately to fuck people over.

-Almost every time they approach marines and either side is hostile. Seriously, they are wasting marine supplies and concentration over shananagans they didn't sign up for. I can see them doing something
    like stealthing and trying to take some useless ammo box and a marine or 2 fires towards him as he runs away, but don't bring a squad into this.

Preds don't steal stuff, they hunt. It's the marines' choice to chase the predator, also the predator is a hunter - they are not your allies.

-Saving dead marines that aliens managed to trap (the particular example I am thinking of MIGHT have been a scout on stims). I wouldn't mind if predator baited marines into finding a dead marine in the middle of nowhere, but he shouldn't flat out pick him up.

Preds don't save dead marines ever unless the pred themselves has killed them. They might take their bodies to take predator gear off them and recover them, but they won't take them to the marines after. If one does, it's against HC and you should report it, while admins can't ban preds in game (unless they are blatantly griefing) they can fetch information for you like who it was.

-killing lone marines, or protecting lone marines from xenos.

Killing is fine, they are predators, not observers. Protecting marines from xenos they'd only do if they were hunting the marine and xenos interfered.

Why were preds added? They were added by a powertripping dev in 2015 while the host of CM was away. The WL has improved since then, but they are still side antagonists, not your allies or friends, or there to talk to you. They're there to antagonise both sides, and provide some immersion/rp/fear or something unique to the game.

There's a distinction in preds between cool preds and slimers, basically slimers will be giant dicks to you, cool preds will be nicer and still hunt you but they'll stop if you're weak and not decap you etc. It's a mixed bag, I suggest just fucking off from preds if you're unable to beat them, then get Strobia/Cass with you to kill it or get a robust boxer to kill it.
    Karl Karlsson, the man (and sometimes Captain)
    Maxwell, the synth
    Enhath'vot Guan-Dha, the predator
    Also a feature Coder & CM's Maintainer Team Manager

Timeline :
    Spoiler Spoiler:

[CENTER]Retired Synth councilman, forever a member of IO gang

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. You thought wrong. Preds aren't supposed to be CM clowns, they aren't supposed to add "RP spice", or anything RP related. They aren't here to kill downtime between heavy fights.
    2. Admeme relationship with preds is that they literally can't do shit to predators, because they are under whitelist council. Unless pred is really, really obviously grieffing, admeme has as much power as you do over pred player.
    3. Scouts aren't vital.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Havoc View Post
    Now, WHAT THE HELL is up with admin's relationship with predators?! I ahelp over these predators (I saw 3, someone said there were 6) and the admins were like "yea well I am not sure if they are following their honor code but you should DM someone about it". After the match when I brought this up besides some other salty players I get responses like:

OOC: Ediblebomb: HEY TO ANYBODY WHO IS SALTY ABOUT THE PREDS, COPE,SEETHE

The next match 3 more predators were in a circle so I copy-pasted that message to them and the admins are like "please don't do that". OOHH THANK YOU ADMINS FOR DOING YOUR JOB (and actually yes thanks for being there) but where the hell were you for the actual predator harassment? I brought that up a little more nicely and they were like "We don't really deal with the predators, it is up to the whitelist council to deal with them". What do you mean you don't deal with them?! You oversee the match for any rule breaking and you have no insight over their honor system nor ability to punish THEM but when it comes to ME you can do whatever you want?! A real world example would be like:

Man: "Police officer a man broke into my house and is stealing my stuff!"
    cop: "Don't worry let me straighten this out"
    *cop checks on the thief*
    cop: "Yea sorry, the thief is actually a rich politician and he might be allowed to do that for all I know. It is up to the city council to decide what the rich can do, I am not sure myself. Go to the council with evidence if you want something done."

Admins are there in the game, and are the ones with power to actually do something on the spot. Why are they powerless in these situations? Why do they not know what predators can and cannot do? Why is the only thing they can do is punish those harassing the predators, not the predators themselves? Are predators just rich donators who can do whatever the hell they want to matches? Serious last question.
    Whitelists are under the direct control and discretion of their respective Whitelist Councils. As such, while playing a Whitelisted Role, Staff can't take punitive action against them either way unless the player violates actual Server Rules and/or Code of Conduct. A Predator saying the Hard R of the N-Word would still get boofed, for example.

It's not an ideal situation, but as it stands you have to reach out to the respective Council to get your issue reviewed, or make a player report. A Staff member can provide you with the ckeys of the offenders to make a report, but that's about as much as they can usually do for you.

That said, Predators are not meant to be 'the clowns of CM'. Predators are literal antagonists and unless you're an active frontline combatant, visibly injured, or otherwise occupied with healing, building, etc... they can hunt you. It's just that most don't choose to do so because, well, it can be a bit fucked up if you swoop in and clap cheeks. Preds are strong, and they always were.

Also no, a Staff member doesn't have to know the ins-and-outs of Whitelist Guidelines, like Synthetic Programming, CO Conduct or Honour Code. They SHOULD know the broad defines to make a ruling on when a WL issue in-game has transgressed into a real server rule break, but outside of that it is absolutely not required. Because, again... staff don't handle Whitelist issues anyway.
    Synthetic Unit 'Amber'.

Major Misti Rockwell, USS Yokosuka, 2nd Division, 2nd Battlegroup, 3rd Fleet.

Trial Moderator: 7th November 2021 - 21st November 2021
    Moderator: 21st November 2021 - 17th January 2022
    Senior Moderator: 17th January 2022 - 2nd of June 2022

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Admins, mods like to roll spec. Spec gets capped. Tells his other mod friend on discord, hey, help me out will you? Other mod rescues him as pred. Insider trading. They deserve guilotine. With an unsharp blade. While raining.

I have not had any bad experience with them though, other than my other post of them being too powerful. Usually what happens is I mistook them for marines and accidentally hit them. Just say whops and move on. Or 1v1 them.

This game is not fair. Get used to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mightbearetard View Post
    Admins, mods like to roll spec. Spec gets capped. Tells his other mod friend on discord, hey, help me out will you? Other mod rescues him as pred. Insider trading. They deserve guilotine. With an unsharp blade. While raining.
    ??????

What?

My man, are you high?
    Synthetic Unit 'Amber'.

Major Misti Rockwell, USS Yokosuka, 2nd Division, 2nd Battlegroup, 3rd Fleet.

Trial Moderator: 7th November 2021 - 21st November 2021
    Moderator: 21st November 2021 - 17th January 2022
    Senior Moderator: 17th January 2022 - 2nd of June 2022

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mightbearetard View Post

I have not had any bad experience with them though, other than my other post of them being too powerful. Usually what happens is I mistook them for marines and accidentally hit them. Just say whops and move on. Or 1v1 them.

This game is not fair. Get used to it.
    >join date 1 month ago
    >"admins, mods like to roll spec"
    >"this game is not fair"
    >"I mistook them for marines"

kek

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so is this gonna get moved to acid goop or not

Ancient Member