User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The fate of the carrier

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fate of the carrier

I think that these latest updates have really harmed the carrier. First, they took away the carriers ability to combat-hug, which was a huge part of what made playing it fun, then they took away mutators which will cripple it beyond repair.

The queen no longer can take faster laying and the carriers can not increase their capacity.

Therefore carriers will end up carrying around a few huggers at most and have to rely on everyone else to MAYBE get a hug on someone. Meanwhile, if there are multiple carriers in a hive it will make it that much worse.

I would be ok if they didnt bring back the STAT mutators but they did restore ones like faster laying, more carry capacity, stronger acid etc. Their mutators added a really nice flavor and make the Xenos more fun to play.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffith View Post
    I think that these latest updates have really harmed the carrier. First, they took away the carriers ability to combat-hug, which was a huge part of what made playing it fun, then they took away mutators which will cripple it beyond repair.

The queen no longer can take faster laying and the carriers can not increase their capacity.

Therefore carriers will end up carrying around a few huggers at most and have to rely on everyone else to MAYBE get a hug on someone. Meanwhile, if there are multiple carriers in a hive it will make it that much worse.

I would be ok if they didnt bring back the STAT mutators but they did restore ones like faster laying, more carry capacity, stronger acid etc. Their mutators added a really nice flavor and make the Xenos more fun to play.
    Maybe it was fun to play carrier, but it wasn't fun to play against. Besides, Carrier is still treated as T3 in terms of resistances. Can't be "stunned" with slug/buckshot etc. Drone "evolution tree" should never be a combat caste and with one click KO he was combat capable. It's like saying that playing drone isn't fun. If you don't like support and you love to murderbone, then choose runner and evolve.

Whitelisted Captain FGRSentinel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From how I read it, mutators weren't removed entirely. The stat-altering ones and flaws were removed though, so I assume the keystones and other mutators that aren't simply stat upgrades are still in.
    Retired CO Councilor (Winter 2019-Spring 2020, Winter 2020-Spring 2021)

Goddard Pearsall, the Pilot that (almost) always has Souto

Unofficial source of help for new/inexperienced POs. Message me here or on Discord if you'd like advise on anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just started playing carrier this week.

My thoughts on post-combat hug nerf carrier play is pretty positive. Carrier is still very effective with offensive traps placed in flanks or near LZ's. The plasma costs and regen feels pretty good too since I can reliably put out traps overtime but can't spam them to hell and back. It's also effectively countered with lots of tools so it's not too bad.

As for actual carrier play, it felt pretty good. I've found you can still effectively combat hug with other benos. Let warriors fling or grab a host to down them and quickly swoop in to slap a hugger. A diligant carrier on the front can still reliably get combat hugs but it takes skill and coordination from other xenos, making it not as cheezy. Carrier still has lots to do by bringing all of queen eggs to the front so non drone castes can get more captures. All in all, carrier post combat nerf felt pretty good as a support class that helped shape xeno defenses for capturing while also rewarding plays to make robust capture plays.

The latest update ruined that. And I'm sure it's getting discussed and tweaked as we speak. But that's an entirely other discussion. I don't want to discuss it too much since it will probably get changed very soon. But my initial thoughts playing carrier after the newest update is that carrier is so squishy that its combat effectiveness is reeeeaally bad. Elder Carrier wasn't able to handle 2 m4 bursts or a well placed buck shot. Fire absolutely melted me as well. So yea, now carrier is really ineffective unfortunately.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We'll see how well carrier does after the marine weapons are tweaked.

For now, I'm inclined to agree that carriers aren't able to peek their head out without getting destroyed.
    Resident ex-punished Junior Developer and Coder, and ex three-time member of the Yautja Council, two-time member of the Synth Council.

See with your eyes, my army of flies, when no one's alive...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffith View Post

I think people need to stop playing carrier like a buckshot PB marine and realize it's a support caste that has to work with other xenos to be effective, and that this hasn't made the carrier worse to play, it only raised the skill floor so you can't be a braindead retard and still kill people.

Fuck, it even still has T3 bonuses that it has no right to as a T2 caste like PB buckshot not stunning it.

The only thing 'harmed' by the carrier change, is the ability to rapidfire instant-kill marines by camping a corner and facehugging them before they can even react, or just instant killing marines in general by simply getting within 1 tile of them. I'm frankly glad that cheap bullshit 'gameplay' like that is gone. Now you need to disarm the marine first or work together with another caste to instakill them. Cry me a fucking river. It actually feels relatively fair to fight against now.

I honestly think xeno players are way too fucking used to cheap and easy kills on marines that putting in a little effort, skill, and thinking to score a kill becomes such a huge nerf.

If the carrier needs anything, it's some kind of utility beyond facehugging marines that give it something fun to do when you don't have any non-baldy xenos to work with for kills/captures. Or enough health/speed (VERY carefully balanced) to make sure it can work on the frontlines with other xenos without being easily roflstomped or becoming impossible to kill. What it absolutely does NOT need, is the ability to retard-proof instantly kill marines by itself again.
    Last edited by Boersgard; 02-27-2019 at 05:02 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boersgard View Post
    I think people need to stop playing carrier like a buckshot PB marine and realize it's a support caste that has to work with other xenos to be effective, a
    Fair point, Colonial Marines need to encourage teamwork, that's why squad medics, engineers and SLs shouldn't be able to carry guns, they should be focusing on other things.

Also remove kits so that PFCs don't try to do other roles jobs. This will force marines to work together and overall increase the skill level of marines to the betterment of the server.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate_bickie View Post
    Fair point, Colonial Marines need to encourage teamwork, that's why squad medics, engineers and SLs shouldn't be able to carry guns, they should be focusing on other things.

Also remove kits so that PFCs don't try to do other roles jobs. This will force marines to work together and overall increase the skill level of marines to the betterment of the server.
    I disagree on your first point. Engis and medics would be helpless without weapons. Imagine healing a downed marine and a lurker is about. You would be fucked even with marine support because the lurker would just target the medic. Good luck establishing any good choke points/setting up cades playing engi as well. You are a sitting duck when you do anything engi related.

Especially not true with SL. Sometimes you need to lead by example; it really inspires troops seeing that big SL symbol pushing in when it is needed (prolonged sieges, saving marines, etc.). Not to mention SL has access to good weaponry and it makes no sense not to use it.

I'm not saying I disagree that these roles shouldn't primarily focus on other things, and I agree it should require more than just unga dunga, but taking away their firepower is not viable in this setting.
    Goosen Dagen-casual marine

Whitelisted Captain FGRSentinel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boersgard is right though. Carrier combat hugging was BS. I remember one Almayer defense that ended in a total defeat because a Carrier got through a flank solo and managed to hug about half the defenders before an engineer could plug the gap. After that, the Xenos just broke through the front, killed anyone still standing, and then just wandered killing the still-stunned Marines. I'm sure Xenos would agree that it'd suck if Marines had a 5-minute stun capacity they could just casually use to disable half the hive, right?
    Retired CO Councilor (Winter 2019-Spring 2020, Winter 2020-Spring 2021)

Goddard Pearsall, the Pilot that (almost) always has Souto

Unofficial source of help for new/inexperienced POs. Message me here or on Discord if you'd like advise on anything.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate_bickie View Post
    lmao what the fuck am I reading

Might as well remove slashing from every Xeno that isn't in the runner evo tree
    Last edited by Avalanchee; 02-27-2019 at 08:24 PM.