Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Force longer rounds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Force longer rounds

Right some light-hearted discussion after the gift box drama

I can't find the poll button so I can't make a poll, it means I'm automatically right.

Yesterday we had a 3,5 hour round hear thy my observations.

Pros:

- Allowed insanely good, not forced RP with research, MPs, on board funny drama

- Bravo defenses were actually used. Unlike in speed runs where they either fall in 10 seconds or not see 1 xeno as marines win too fast. On a long run, LZ defenses get poked and they have to watch for harassers. This is how it should be.

- Hive defenses were used. Same as above. Hive diver scouts, 1-2 marines sneaking in, surprise flanks. If the round is long, it makes hide defenses actually useful, drone and hivelord mains rejoice.

- Allows doctors to do surgery, unlike in short rounds.

- More RP ground side. Instead of a power-gamer running in on stims naked with zero RP just to kill 3 XX xenos, we actually have an immersive fight and back and forward.

Cons:

- Finger swollen from clicking 3,5 hours long non stop.

- Peed myself as I did not wanted to break RP.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mightbearetard View Post

- Peed myself as I did not wanted to break RP.
    I'll give you a pro RPer trick that lets's you leave any time and works on most servers. There are in-game toilets. If you really need to go then go both ICly and OOCly. It will make you very HRP and method.

Jokes aside tho, longer rounds are absolutely a blast. The only problem is that you can't really "force" a long round outside of direct gameplay changes. Also on a lot longer rounds lag starts to become an issue. My longest round of CM lasted almost 5 hours and at the end it was basically a power point slideshow. That being said i think the 3 hour mark is about ideal length CM should aim for.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do not force. Make them longer, but do not force.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    making rounds longer would require gameplay changes that people will probably get mad over. Personally, I'm in favour!

Problem is whichever side you nerf or slow down will throw a fit about it
    Anna "High-Toss" Stall

I'm a manager now
    I manage moods
    B)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Longer rounds are better, slow the game down so it’s not a shitty ADHD click fest with shotgun PBs and ability spam clicking.
    Synth Gaming

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, I see in this barren wasteland of ideas, you need some:

What about... CM round having 2 stages?
    First stage is proper survivor vs benos. Most of the server spawns as benos and survivors. The catch is that survivors are designed to lose, their only objective is to survive (hiding/escaping/fighting). Some people spawn as Almayer crew (CIC staff, maybe MPs, researchers, OT, mass seargeant, RO, CT and MT, hell, maybe even few PFCs if they want) and have a lot of time to RP, prepare plans, prepare food, research and create explosives.

Second stage is classic marines vs benos. Survs that died this round can respawn as marines and benos.

Here you go, people who want to fight, get to fight quickly and twice in the same round (once as a surv, once as marine). People who want to RP, will have time to RP.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Longer rounds are better, they give time for proper attrition to set in and allows opportunity for RP and the unga-TDM mindset to fade as the round goes on

The main problem is keeping the good parts of a long round and not having them just be hellish ten-hour vraks sieges or where a majority of the marines/xenos die at the beginning and have to wait however many hours for the round to end or get pooled larva until they can have fun and play again

I think a good way to approaching these issues is to increase the defensive capabilities of both marines and xenos and allow them to keep fighting longer but to keep as many people alive and playing for as long as possible by increasing the perma timer and/or increasing pooled larva slots

Gotta get someone to code it in tho

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about... CM round having 2 stages?
    First stage is proper survivor vs benos. Most of the server spawns as benos and survivors. The catch is that survivors are designed to lose, their only objective is to survive (hiding/escaping/fighting). Some people spawn as Almayer crew (CIC staff, maybe MPs, researchers, OT, mass seargeant, RO, CT and MT, hell, maybe even few PFCs if they want) and have a lot of time to RP, prepare plans, prepare food, research and create explosives.

Second stage is classic marines vs benos. Survs that died this round can respawn as marines and benos.
    I do this as an event sometimes!

I had technical difficulties (discovering a bunch of tools were outdated) last time I tried and got called a xeno main tho
    Anna "High-Toss" Stall

I'm a manager now
    I manage moods
    B)

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sir yes sir oorah I will go XO and force longer rounds

Dev Team Manager Stan_albatross's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by derpymcderpderp View Post
    sir yes sir oorah I will go XO and force longer rounds
    Great job marine very wholesome +1
    Karl Karlsson, the man (and sometimes Captain)
    Maxwell, the synth
    Enhath'vot Guan-Dha, the predator
    Also a feature Coder & CM's Maintainer Team Manager

Timeline :
    Spoiler Spoiler:

[CENTER]Retired Synth councilman, forever a member of IO gang