User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where would you have liked to see the franchise go from Alien 3 onward?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where would you have liked to see the franchise go from Alien 3 onward?

Same as the title,

While I was just a little shit when I watched the Alien movies, around eight or nine, even then I could tell I didn't like Alien 3 as much. Everything was orange, none of my favorite characters from Aliens (Read: Everyone who survived) were around with the exception of Ripley, and even then they had made her bald, to my tiny mind I thought the movie was flat out stupid.

I still don't like it even today, of course for more mature reasons, but the point stands that Alien 3 is often considered to be where it all went wrong. I've learned about the original scripts that had ideas like the UPP, and following Hicks and Bishop instead of Ripley. And to be honest while it may have been jarring at first, those original concepts could have served us way better than what we got in the end with all of the studio meddling and re-writes.

I think my biggest problems, however, didn't come until the shit-show that was Resurrection. With it, we got an entirely new United Systems government, which I suppose was the end result of the fall of Weyland-Yutani at the hands of a combination of revolutionaries in the United States, UPP, and what we know as the CLF. This did more catastrophic damage to canon and the Aliens universe than that retarded Hybrid alien ever could. Weyland-Yutani is just sort of gone, and with it went the interesting story elements that a megacorp brought to the universe. Personally I loved the idea of a sort of Neo Cold War in space involving the UPP and the Company backed USCM. I drool over the potential of using that conflict as a backdrop to further capture the fear of the Xenomorph. To further develop Wey-Yu as a sort of shapeless and ever present antagonist, driven by profits and continued control in human space to continue those profits. At the same time they could have shown that living under the UPP probably sucks even worse for different reasons. It could all be very allegorical to recent history in the modern era, with the added bonus of being great sci-fi and including our favorite alien species as a major story element.

I'm rather disappointed by the cop out we got as an answer to these obvious mistakes, that directors and executives have decided that instead of fixing this ruined canon, they're starting to look to the past to explore details that I'm not sure many people wanted to know. We're getting prequels instead of sequels in the form of Prometheus and Covenant, revealing the origin story of the Xenomorph and demystifying the Space Jockey by turning it into the Engineers. Being honest I really didn't want to know anything about the Space Jockey before it became the Engineers, and the "precursor race that life seeded everyone" has become a really tired and safe as fuck sci-fi trope that feels incredibly lazy, but that's neither here nor there.

What did you guys want to see before Alien 3? Were any of you around when the movie dropped in theaters? What did you think about it, and how would you have changed it?
    Last edited by DreadPirateFury; 02-18-2019 at 08:16 AM.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to see a real conflict between the USMC and the xenomorphs instead of an ambush like in aliens. Give me some earth war stories.

I also REALLY want to see USMC vs predator instead of retard human dudes with no technology. Predators are fucking retarded OP so atleast give them a real fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterShakeEZ View Post
    I want to see a real conflict between the USMC and the xenomorphs instead of an ambush like in aliens. Give me some earth war stories.

I also REALLY want to see USMC vs predator instead of retard human dudes with no technology. Predators are fucking retarded OP so atleast give them a real fight.
    I'd love to see the Yautja absolutely curb stomp the Colonial Marines despite things like the motion tracker or smart gun. For one, the motion tracker has to be watched and reported on by a marine in the squad. Two, the smartgun would probably fritz out against Yautja cloaking technology, making manual fire the only option. The gunner would probably still be able to see a couple patches of heat shimmering in and out of view while they're cloaked, but with the added skill in stealth even a youngblood has, I think a squad of marines is still more than fucked against one.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DreadPirateFury View Post
    I'd love to see the Yautja absolutely curb stomp the Colonial Marines despite things like the motion tracker or smart gun. For one, the motion tracker has to be watched and reported on by a marine in the squad. Two, the smartgun would probably fritz out against Yautja cloaking technology, making manual fire the only option. The gunner would probably still be able to see a couple patches of heat shimmering in and out of view while they're cloaked, but with the added skill in stealth even a youngblood has, I think a squad of marines is still more than fucked against one.
    Ya but USCM guns would shred a predator if they hit it. You also have combat synths that would beable to fuck a predator up. It would be way more of a fight than danny glover or a bunch of commandos in a jungle.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DRy30WU4T8

And

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEmC1vygsK0

First link is about comic that should come out, second is about film for which Ridley said "W8, M8!" and it was scraped.
    It's a neat concept and it would be an awesome film.

I know what I don't want to see: "Alien" going into "Queen Mother" story, or whatever Ridley did.
    Whole concept is just dumb. Xenos should be a bioweapon, not just space race with god-like entity that can "reach" worlds that are light years away with her "mind", fearless people being able to "scare" benos away, race more intelligent that don't create, or use any tools, yet they can fucking read minds and control space crafts despite having claws of the size of whole keyboard. Sadly, our CMSS13 lore is based on such stupidity.

Maybe it's just me, but I hate when "magic" enters Sci-Fy.
    Star Wars? Blasters, clones, droids, empire, rebels, space battles = Cool. Force? Lame.
    Mass Effect? Weapons, races, technology, reapers = Cool. Biotics? Lame.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the original William Gibson script

Garret Dalheart reporting for Duty!
    Captain Howard Dalheart Captain of the USS Almayer Deceased
    Ckey: TheDexfiles
    Joined the fight 19 Dec 2017

Current Record holder for most dead in a single OB at 25
    Sorry mates

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having watched the new Alien prequels to this point, I don't think they're terrible but I watch them and really just wish these budgets were put into a real Alien or Aliens style movie. I'd much rather see the Xenomorphs in action and learn about them that way rather than see exactly how the Xenomorph came into existance. I want to see the outcomes of Xenos, not the history lesson about them. But that's just me, either way I'm glad to see the Alien's franchise is still alive and not sitting around to rot due to corporations hording IPs they have no desire to actually use.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DreadPirateFury View Post
    Same as the title,
    Weyland-Yutani is just sort of gone, and with it went the interesting story elements that a megacorp brought to the universe.
    They weren't just gone, they were brought out by Walmart. It was like a giant fuck you to the fans.

Apparently Ridley Scott cares more about the synths and space jockeys than the actual aliens, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't manage to make a sequel to Covenant but maybe he'd focus on the xenomorphs more if he did.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heraclitus View Post
    They weren't just gone, they were brought out by Walmart. It was like a giant fuck you to the fans.

Apparently Ridley Scott cares more about the synths and space jockeys than the actual aliens, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't manage to make a sequel to Covenant but maybe he'd focus on the xenomorphs more if he did.
    The prequels are non canon in my opinion. Poorly attempting to explain things that required no explanation did nothing to enhance the originals. Less is more, but I guess some people liked the prequels so eh
    Goosen Dagen-casual marine

Whitelisted Predator
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The prequels were terrible. Scott wanted to do some art house, philosophical movie and that's not what you should be doing with the Alien franchise. On top of that the writing was shit, pure and utter shit. You have some of the brightest minds Earth has to offer and they were written to do the stupidest things imaginable so they could get in to trouble and progress the plot of the movie. In Alien and Aliens the crew of the Nostromo and the Sulaco got beat because neither knew what they were up against and in the case of the later they were over confident and walked into an ambush.