Date of Incident
    December 19, 2021

Your Character Name?
    Khalif "Mike" Jordan

Accused Byond Key(if known):
    Unknown

Accused Character Name
    Alan Jones

Approximate time and date of the incident (Central US Time for fastest results)
    11:30

What rule(s) were broken:
    CO Rules?

Description of the incident:
    I late joined some hell round it seems as Mess Sargent. I make my way towards engineering to get tools etc and then stand AFK in the Starboard hallway because my dog wants me to pet her. A MP comes up to me and says am I dead after mistaken report that the MS was dead? I return to my screen to see the MP trying to arrest me and tell them to fuck off after attempting a disarm. He then attempts to and fails to taze me, while I move away, he also fails at pepper spraying. Again I have no idea why this is happening.

I then make my way to the kitchen, to see its already a mess, with two mts having broken in to steal the beer keg. I weld both doors to get some space and protect myself from this wacky MP. A nurse then decides to break in, I had already announced at this point that anyone breaking into my kitchen would be shot at. So I shoot at them one time (it doesn't land) and then I ask them to leave, before beating them with a rolling pin as they refuse to leave. I am in constant communication at this time.

Other players come in, some try and steal some cheese, I proceed to beat these interlopers with my rolling pin.

Then we get some minor event with CLF attacking, so off I go to the CIC. It seems that the attack was repulsed, but the CIC was in lockdown so I did bring a fuel tank to assist with breaching, but did not fire. The event seems to have died off. So I shoot at the welding tank and enter the CIC lobby. More shots happen, I see the CO, he says nothing as he slides up next to me and Battlefield Executes me.

I proceed to ahelp this twice. The admin who handles it ScarletReigns says that because of the announcement, its considered a valid execution. Personally I think a BE was overkill. CIC itself was not bombed, the lobby to it exploded a little bit, but I was there to defend CIC. Also whats the definition of FIELD - is technically the Almayer even considered the FIELD?

Thanks.

Evidence (screenshots, logs, etc):
    Logs are pullable.

This was the CO announcement after my execution:

Command Ship Announcement

situation shipside is stable at this time, however we will remain in an elevated alert until and all clear is given.

On another note, Mess Sergeant Khalif Jordan was executed for multiple cahrges including illegal detention by taking a nurse hostage, major damage to the ship by bombing the CIC area during a CLF attack on code red and other disordely conduct.

Signed by,
    Captain Alan Jones

What resolution are you seeking?
    A warning? I don't know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The MP trying to arrest you was me. The reason I moved to arrest you was this:
    1) Reports of a dead body in the kitchen.
    2) Reports of the MS being a possible impersonator.
    3) This during code blue and threat of terrorists.

When chances are the MS is a murdering terrorist on the loose, I prefer to arrest him first without giving him a chance to shoot me dead. You were also repeatedly informed by me on comms that you were wanted for interrogation.

Also, my initial statement was "Are you dead?", as in checking why you were standing around for a while.

During the time of your BE, the event was still very much underway. Or rather, marines didn't know whether the CLF were dead or retreated. We were in fact on code red at this point, I think. So attacking the CIC with explosives is not a smart move.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there!
    Please accept my apologies if you understood my response as "the BE was valid"-

What I said was:
    "It looks like this was announced as a BE, which is a CO privilege, there are set guidelines for when and how it is appropriate to use, but BEs are a Whitelist issue, so if you feel it was done in a way that violates the guidelines, your next step would be to report it to a member of the CO Council for review."

It's server policy that certain whitelist-specific areas (like BEs or Honor Code, for example) are handled by their whitelist council, not the mod team in game. I hope this helps to clarify for you!
    Last edited by ScarletReign; 12-19-2021 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Punctuation

Senior Admin
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two things:

- I opened an extra MS slot this round after the previous MS just randomly suicided at round start.

- There was indeed an event going on that round, shipside crew were primed against perceived infiltration/sabotage attempts and were told to treat hostile actions seriously. At that point there were also multiple dead from a CLF ERT if memory serves.

By what I saw of it, you acted in a way that made the CO think you were a possible infiltrator and he decided to take no risks after you acted in a clearly hostile matter.
    Senior Administrator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi! I'm a whitelisted Captain and I know my way around marine law and the Commanding Officer Code of Conduct! This player believes that Captain Alan Jones violated CoC and ML through a false battlefield execution. However, I will have to disagree.

Under Marine Law clause 13, section 2, Execution Privileges under Captain Provisions (13.2), it states "The Captain may perform Battlefield Executions. This means they may personally execute anyone under their authority on the ship or Area of Operations without warning or procedure...". One of the valid reasons under this is provided as follows: "A threat to the ship or operation. Credibly threatening or attempting to do damage to the ship, the USCM, or operation while in the Captain’s presence." This situation would fall under being appropriate under Marine Law, as you took an explosive to CIC and decided to blow the area up. The Captain did NOT announce that the ship was clear to resume normal operations and was no longer under threat, therefore, his choosing to take the action that he did was justified for his interpretation that you were a threat to the ship.

Under Commanding Officer Code of Conduct clause 7, section 1, subsection 1, Example Reasons to Perform a Battlefield Execution under Battlefield Executions (7.1.1), a reason of performing a battlefield execution are one of the following: "Someone is attempting to destroy, damage, or sabotage the ship, or the operation..." You were deliberately attempted to cause damage to the ship by exploding a fuel tank at CIC, therefore this is another justification for his actions.

Now while the Mess Sergeant is given a sidearm, the reason is ONLY for self-defense, and not to respond to trespassing and/or theft with lethal force. At the time, he did not need to investigate heavily into the situation, as what you did is interpretable as terrorism.

Therefore, the Captain was completely in the green for making the decision that he did.

But I'm not in the council, so what they say may completely differ from me! Best of luck on both ends!
    Major Amber Walsh, Exceptional Leader

Spoiler Spoiler:

Za'Kul, Foolish Hunter
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are many responses. Including from two in-round admins. I think additional clarity has been provided as to why my actions could have been construed as hostile!

I think as logs have not been pulled yet, I can safely ask to withdraw my report?

Thanks for providing the clarification!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Report withdrawn
    Unhinged retiree boomer man
    Get off my lawn you kids