Personal Information

Byond ID?
    TezRat

CM Character?
    Leonard Earwig/RA-xxx-GE

Are you 16 or older?
    Yes

Timezone
    Central Standard but I have a shitty schedule so I'm on around 12:00 AM-8:00AM

On average, how many hours are you available per week to moderate?
    A lot, I'd say around 35-40+

Qualifications

Do you have any previous experience in being staff (not just SS13)?
    I am currently moderating a dnd discord server with 1700 members

Do you play any servers aside from CM-SS13?
    No.

Provide links to any previous Colonial Marines applications that you've made:
    I do not have any previous applications

Are you currently a staff member elsewhere (not just SS13)? If so, where?
    Modding for a dnd server as mentioned

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on Colonial Marines?
    No

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on ANY server? If so, which server, when, and what for?
    No

Are you familiar with the chat program Discord (its use is required)?
    Yes

Communication is a vital part of being a Moderator. Are you willing to actively do so with the team?
    Absolutely

Common Staff Situations

A player randomly shoots someone at round start and MPs have detained him.
    If it was a random misfire and obviously not griefing or IE, there's nothing really to do, maybe a PM telling them to be more careful if they're new.

If it does look like IE, then I'd check their notes and PM them, letting them know they're being noted for such.

A player ahelps that a predator has violated the honor code when killing him, what should you do?
    As a mod I can't do anything about WL roles and I'll let the player know in my response, though I would check to see if they actually broke HC or if it was a misunderstanding. I'd then tell them to either make a player report or to talk directly to a councilor.

You see a player walking around the ship naked and clearly lost at roundstart.
    I would PM the SEA if online and let them know, if there is no SEA awake I would help them myself if already in game, or PM them asking if they would be open for help.

A player is being very rude to you in adminhelps, calling you names and arguing everything you say. He is requesting to speak to an Admin+ staff member.
    Being rude and confrontational in Ahelps is very much not allowed and I would let them know that. I would definitely not allow them to speak to any other staff through me either. Afterwards I would let them know they can always make a staff report against me if they think I messed up.

A player ahelps that a marine is named 'John Doe', how do you deal with this?
    PM the marine in question and inform them that 'John Doe' is not an allowed name on our server and ask if he would like a name change. Afterwards telling him he needs to change it by next round as he was already warned once. I would also note them for having a non-allowed name

You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green and there has been no threat to the ship in the round at this point.
    IC issue, unless he deploys, as shipside roles cannot do that without permission. And of course if the marine starts randomly shooting people that is grief and they will get appropriate consequences

A Marine ahelps that they were killed by a survivor. It is early round, the Marines have just landed, and the survivor claims that they were outright hostile to all Marines from the get-go and openly stated their intentions. How do you deal with this?
    Survivors can no longer be hostile towards marines for any non-event reason, I'd bwoink the survivor and let them know this, as well as ahealing the marine if no medics are treating them / they are far from any marines and have a low chance of being found. If the survivor continues to be hostile or if they argue with me I would note them for being hostile as a survivor.

You receive an ahelp from a player stating that an MP has locked them up in permanent confinement for running into Requisitions and taking an attachment that was laying around.
    I would check the MPs notes and see if they have a history of breaking ML, bwoinking them afterwards and asking what the reason they perma'd the marine is for, if there are things he mentions that the perma'd marine did not, such as killing someone etc. Then I would check logs and see if this is true, if it is then I would inform the perma'd marine that the sentence is correct and go about my day.

If the MP says it is just for stealing attachments then I would let them know that the maximum charge for that would be 10 minutes for theft, and tell them to let them out of perma, as well as noting the MP. If the MP has a history of such things, I may think about a jobban.

The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
    I would QM the xenos, urging them to push for victory against the tallhosts. If they refuse or otherwise don't react to it, I would Message the current commander of the OP and tell them to redeploy, either hinting the xeno numbers are low or waiting until a scan to message.

You are playing as a medic, and another medic overdoses all your patients and prevent marines from being revived. It seems like it may be on purpose. How do you deal with this situation?
    I would firstly ahelp about it, though with the times that I play I very well could be the only mod on, in that case I would take a more IC approach, maybe try to detain him and send him up to the Alamayer and let the MPs know what he did.

The round ends, a Marine starts shooting a hostile CLF member and the CLF member ahelps about being killed after the round ended.
    EORG is only applicable if there's no IC reason to be fighting, CLF and Marines are hostile to each other, plenty of reason to fight there. I would respond saying basically the above.

A Marine is running around disarming, punching and stealing gear at round start. You receive an ahelp from one of the victims.
    IC issue, until they start killing people there's not much I can do about it. I would check notes and if they have a habit of it, I would PM them and let them know that he has notes from doing the same thing before, possibly give him a chill out ban if he gets hostile in PMs.

You receive an ahelp from a Marine saying that he was killed by another Marine. When you ask the murderer why, he said it was because the other Marine had punched him.
    Check logs and notes for both sides, note the murderer for IE if the logs support it, and let them know they've been noted. Either aheal the killed marine or, if a medic is treating them, leave them alone.

You find out that there is an improper mutiny occuring. The mutineers are rallying together and preparing to storm the CIC. How would you attempt to resolve this situation?
    MOOC right away and tell them it is definitely not permitted to mutiny in the way they are mutinying. If they don't stand down and continue on their path of mutiny, asleep them and handle with bans and notes.

There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it.
    PM the people making the comments and let them know racism is not tolerated, check notes and note for racist comments.

A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.
    Instant ban, mass grief plus logging as soon as they did it, honestly not sure if i can permaban but would message my manager asking about it.

You see a player playing a Xeno larva/chestburster run towards the frontlines straight from the Xeno hive the second they burst and die.
    Check notes and playtimes. If they are clearly new then I would DM them and let them know it is definitely not a good idea to be on the front as a larva. If they aren't new then I would note them for it and DM them telling them not to do it again or eat a ban.

You see a Xeno memeing, saying AYYLMAO, REEEEEE etc in hivemind chat, as well as insulting the Queen.
    Netspeak is not allowed and I would DM them for it as well as noting them.

A Xeno player calls the shuttle a "dropship". A different Xeno player ahelps that it's low role play to call it a "dropship".
    Not lrp, iirc the hivemind is "translated" so to speak into English so that would be allowed, just like how gun, OB, and CAS, is allowed.

A Command staff player at briefing near round-start mentions there are aliens on the planet. You receive an ahelp from a marine regarding this.
    Marines definitely do NOT know that there are xenomorphs and I would PM them afterwards telling them this, note them as well. If they are a CO I would bring this up with the councilors as COs are held to an even higher standard then normal command staff

You find a Marine killing another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself. There are two other marines in the pod along with him.
    Check with the other marines to see if this is correct, if it is, I'm fairly certain this would be allowed, in fact it's even explicitly stated in the rules on the wiki that killing a marine to get their spot on an evac pod is allowed. If the story doesn't line up and the marine killed the other for apparently no reason, such as they were already giving up their spot to make a last stand or something like that, then note them for it.

A player insults you after you warn them for a minor issue and begins ranting in LOOC or dchat about staff and mentions you specifically, referring to you as an 'idiot' and a 'retard'.
    Insulting staff is not allowed and I would inform them of this, if they cool off, then a note would suffice. If not, they might eat a ban as well.

A player ahelps saying he was hugged by a Xeno when he was ssd, and wants the larva be removed from him via admin powers. How do you handle the ahelp?
    You can't really prove that they were SSD, and even if you could, going SSD anywhere near the front where it is possible that you could get killed or capped is not a smart move, let them know I can't do anything about it.

You see a fellow staff member give wrong information in an Adminhelp or incorrectly enforce a rule.
    Say something to them in private, I doubt it would be anything big so just a "I think it's this actually" would be fine. If I see them giving wrong information a lot I would talk to my manager about it.

Two staff are arguing in msay if an ahelp is breaking a rule. Because the staff who took the ahelp thinks the player broke a rule, they ban the player based on their interpretation of the rules, with others thinking the person was fine. What would you do?
    Rule 0.1 gives a fair amount of leeway in rulings and it's possible they are both correct in their own way, personally I would try to stay out of it as I don't try to throw myself into arguments, if it's spirals out of hand though I would probably talk to my manager.

Why would you like to become a moderator?
    I really love this game, and (To an extent, there's always exceptions) love the people who play it, I want to become a more involved part of it, which is why I'm also learning how to sprite and code. This community can be grating at times sure, and people say things I might not agree with. But overall this place is great, and I'd love to be able to keep it that way.

In your opinion, what is the most important quality for a moderator?
    Definitely being able to be impartial, even under harsh circumstances. You're meant to solve problems, not cause more of them. Being able to explain your reasoning and having it not be biased is very important and can help to quell issues before they even come up.

Anything else you
    I am assuming this is supposed to say 'Anything else you want to tell us'. I just want to say thank you really, for making this game playable, who knows how many shitters would have their way with this place without mods, you guys get too much hate.

Admin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "A Marine is running around disarming, punching and stealing gear at round start. You receive an ahelp from one of the victims."

This falls under roundstart schenanigans. If it gets severe enough to effect multiple people and has an ahelp a note is probably in order.

A player ahelps saying he was hugged by a Xeno when he was ssd, and wants the larva be removed from him via admin powers. How do you handle the ahelp?
    You can't really prove that they were SSD, and even if you could, going SSD anywhere near the front where it is possible that you could get killed or capped is not a smart move, let them know I can't do anything about it.
    Correct answer, but it's probably better to jsut say if you were killed due to a lag or disconnect, we are sorry but that's an IC issue.

Great app, you clearly studied on the questions. No signifigant note history. I am happy to give this a +1

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) Friendly interactions with you on discord,
    2) Very active, no notes on discord,
    3) Very clean notes ingame,
    4) Overall good answers, especially some tricky areas like WL, staff protocols,

+1 from me. Hope to see you on the team!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tez View Post
    Do you have any previous experience in being staff (not just SS13)?
    I am currently moderating a dnd discord server with 1700 members
    Better not main Fireball Mage...

A player randomly shoots someone at round start and MPs have detained him.
    If it was a random misfire and obviously not griefing or IE, there's nothing really to do, maybe a PM telling them to be more careful if they're new.

If it does look like IE, then I'd check their notes and PM them, letting them know they're being noted for such.
    Good answer. Keep in mind that, in either case - that is, both if it is IE or accidental - it may be that a player is new and fired the gun as a result of that. Maybe they didn't know the controls or maybe they weren't aware you aren't allowed to shoot people like that. It's always a good idea to check someone's playtime for this, and adjust your verdict accordingly. That doesn't mean "don't punish them" but if they don't have a prior history of it, consider asking if they want some mentoring, and link them to the Marine Quickstart guide and our rules.

A player ahelps that a predator has violated the honor code when killing him, what should you do?
    As a mod I can't do anything about WL roles and I'll let the player know in my response, though I would check to see if they actually broke HC or if it was a misunderstanding. I'd then tell them to either make a player report or to talk directly to a councilor.
    You don't have to check and investigate if a player really did presumably break a WL guideline like Honour Code or Synth programming. The issue when you investigate is that you, as a mod, may come to the conclusion it's not a WL rulebreak, so when you tell the player "Seems fine to me, but feel free to report" they may think it's futile to report then and not do it - even if, of course, the Council may disagree with your personal verdict on the situation. For that reason, try and not give your own take on a Whitelisted role's actions since it can easily frustrate people out of reporting wrongdoing. You SHOULD investigate it, however, to quickly make sure it's an actual WL issue, and NOT a server rulebreak. A CO saying the Hard N during brief is not a Whitelist issue, for example.

You see a player walking around the ship naked and clearly lost at roundstart.
    I would PM the SEA if online and let them know, if there is no SEA awake I would help them myself if already in game, or PM them asking if they would be open for help.
    Unsure if you are aware or not, but just so you are: All Staff have the ability to receive and handle mentorhelps, and can spawn as SEA like any mentor could. This means if you're observing and see some unknowing PVT, you can return yourself to the lobby and train them so long as the player wishes for you to help them.

A player is being very rude to you in adminhelps, calling you names and arguing everything you say. He is requesting to speak to an Admin+ staff member.
    Being rude and confrontational in Ahelps is very much not allowed and I would let them know that. I would definitely not allow them to speak to any other staff through me either. Afterwards I would let them know they can always make a staff report against me if they think I messed up.
    Yep, good answer. If you take an ahelp, YOU are the person that handles that situation - exceptions can be made like for TMods at times - but you're generally expected to carry through and handle anything someone may throw at you when you do mark that ahelp. Someone can not "talk to your manager" like they're a Karen. If they have a problem with your verdict, they can make a Staff Report. Arguing in ahelps does nothing and a staff member's verdict will be final until a Staff Report is made and accepted in which Management rules otherwise.

A player ahelps that a marine is named 'John Doe', how do you deal with this?
    PM the marine in question and inform them that 'John Doe' is not an allowed name on our server and ask if he would like a name change. Afterwards telling him he needs to change it by next round as he was already warned once. I would also note them for having a non-allowed name
    Generally our policy for bad names is that we issue them a name-change for the current round by asking if they have any ideas for a new one, and if not we set a random new one. For future rounds they'll need to set their name as normal. That may be what you meant but I'm just making sure. Good answer overall. Keep in mind that if you DM someone about a name and then, the next round, you see them reappear with that same name, a 3 hour ban becomes possible since it's potentially a deliberate ignoring of staff directives.

You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green and there has been no threat to the ship in the round at this point.
    IC issue, unless he deploys, as shipside roles cannot do that without permission. And of course if the marine starts randomly shooting people that is grief and they will get appropriate consequences
    Deploying without permission is not necessarily an OOC issue unless they do it with bad intent. Deployment aside, watch out for shipside roles like MTs, OTs or Doctors gearing up with Armour and guns and heading down to actually frontline, rather than stay at the FOB. People seem to be largely unaware that OTs and MTs are not allowed to leave secure areas, so for those two especially - watch out.

A Marine ahelps that they were killed by a survivor. It is early round, the Marines have just landed, and the survivor claims that they were outright hostile to all Marines from the get-go and openly stated their intentions. How do you deal with this?
    Survivors can no longer be hostile towards marines for any non-event reason, I'd bwoink the survivor and let them know this, as well as ahealing the marine if no medics are treating them / they are far from any marines and have a low chance of being found. If the survivor continues to be hostile or if they argue with me I would note them for being hostile as a survivor.
    Escalate as necessary if this person has a history of griefing, particularly if there's a prior case of being hostile as survivor. There's a chance it's some old player from 2 years ago coming back and not being aware rules have changed, but it can also be grief.

You receive an ahelp from a player stating that an MP has locked them up in permanent confinement for running into Requisitions and taking an attachment that was laying around.
    I would check the MPs notes and see if they have a history of breaking ML, bwoinking them afterwards and asking what the reason they perma'd the marine is for, if there are things he mentions that the perma'd marine did not, such as killing someone etc. Then I would check logs and see if this is true, if it is then I would inform the perma'd marine that the sentence is correct and go about my day.

If the MP says it is just for stealing attachments then I would let them know that the maximum charge for that would be 10 minutes for theft, and tell them to let them out of perma, as well as noting the MP. If the MP has a history of such things, I may think about a jobban.
    Good answer overall, correct procedural thinking involving a investigation on both ends, since either side may be right or wrong. It's not just 10 minutes for theft though. Total sentence would be at least 17.5 minutes for both Theft and Trespassing into Req. Sentence may be longer if things such as Assaulting the RO/CTs is involved. You know how CM players are.

The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
    I would QM the xenos, urging them to push for victory against the tallhosts. If they refuse or otherwise don't react to it, I would Message the current commander of the OP and tell them to redeploy, either hinting the xeno numbers are low or waiting until a scan to message.
    I like the QM bit since Xenos tend to be a lot more responsive to QM than Marines are to ARES. If anything, I've found that ARES urging Marines to do anything will result in some stray Marine C4ing the AI core - because reasons.

You are playing as a medic, and another medic overdoses all your patients and prevent marines from being revived. It seems like it may be on purpose. How do you deal with this situation?
    I would firstly ahelp about it, though with the times that I play I very well could be the only mod on, in that case I would take a more IC approach, maybe try to detain him and send him up to the Alamayer and let the MPs know what he did.
    You've understood the core gist of this question which is that Staff are not meant/allowed to handle incidents they're personally involved in as a player. That being said there is certainly a fine line to be tread on lowpop when you're the only staff present. If the Medic is actively trying to grief lots of people (going around, ODing one person after another) then it's time to aghost, sleep the guy, aheal the people and deal with the person. This technically does go against our staff procedures but in the case of something that requires IMMEDIATE staff intervention this can be suspended to ensure the game isn't derailed and ruined for a majority of players.

In all other cases, your cited reaction is good. Ahelping first of all, and otherwise trying to handle the situation IC as much as possible (though don't just shoot them, IE still applies, even to you). MAKE SURE however to file a Player Report when the round ends. They still are possible to have griefed others, and simply having them ziptied and brought up to the MPs is not sufficient in that case - you can only dish out OOC punishment via a proper PR then.

The round ends, a Marine starts shooting a hostile CLF member and the CLF member ahelps about being killed after the round ended.
    EORG is only applicable if there's no IC reason to be fighting, CLF and Marines are hostile to each other, plenty of reason to fight there. I would respond saying basically the above.
    Ayup.

A Marine is running around disarming, punching and stealing gear at round start. You receive an ahelp from one of the victims.
    IC issue, until they start killing people there's not much I can do about it. I would check notes and if they have a habit of it, I would PM them and let them know that he has notes from doing the same thing before, possibly give him a chill out ban if he gets hostile in PMs.
    Generally an IC issue, HOWEVER, it is only an IC issue so long as there's a reasonable excuse to steal gear and fuck with people. You're not allowed to steal gear that requires vendor points or is limited (like spec gear) just "because I want to". If a Marine steals gear and doesn't end up using it (stealing a gun despite already having guns of his own is a good example) then you are generally able to intervene on account of them being a dick simply for the sake of being a dick. That's optional except for limited gear as I mentioned though. If it's limited gear, you really should intervene and tell them not to be a dick and steal that type of stuff. Since it's roundstart, and not groundside during the heat of fighting, they have no excuse to be taking anything vital from another person which they couldn't easily get from Req.

You receive an ahelp from a Marine saying that he was killed by another Marine. When you ask the murderer why, he said it was because the other Marine had punched him.
    Check logs and notes for both sides, note the murderer for IE if the logs support it, and let them know they've been noted. Either aheal the killed marine or, if a medic is treating them, leave them alone.
    You can aheal someone even if they're being revived since their death may involve internal damage like broken bones that medics can't repair by the way. Totally allowed and recommended. Maybe wait until they're defibbed though so it's not as much of a rp break where a Marine just became Jesus and resurrected himself. Otherwise this answer is just fine. Check playtimes as well since this sort of answer may indicate a newer player that isn't fully aware of escalation procedure.

You find out that there is an improper mutiny occuring. The mutineers are rallying together and preparing to storm the CIC. How would you attempt to resolve this situation?
    MOOC right away and tell them it is definitely not permitted to mutiny in the way they are mutinying. If they don't stand down and continue on their path of mutiny, asleep them and handle with bans and notes.
    Strongly recommended to also send request for help via msay (moderator chat in-game) and ask for other online staff to help handling the (presumably) numerous mutineers. Doing it alone can take very long and be very confusing. Other staff members are an invaluable resource that you can always rely on in times of need. You're not alone!

There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it.
    PM the people making the comments and let them know racism is not tolerated, check notes and note for racist comments.
    Good answer. Remember that racism is treated harsher than other types of "unsanctioned speech" and that, following a warning note for one incident, you're generally allowed to hit them with a 3 hour ban starting off, or more depending on severity and behaviour in DMs. If they're telling you to frick off in DMs, even with no prior history, absolutely do smack them. We do not tolerate anyone who even borderline "defends" racism and argues about it with us in DMs.

A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.
    Instant ban, mass grief plus logging as soon as they did it, honestly not sure if i can permaban but would message my manager asking about it.
    You forgot issuing aheals to any of the involved Marines here. Also consider doing a quick MOOC telling people they're being handled and that people should continue with their round as before so as to try and return normalcy. TMods can file for permas like any other staff member, yes. You'll learn how to do so during training.

You see a player playing a Xeno larva/chestburster run towards the frontlines straight from the Xeno hive the second they burst and die.
    Check notes and playtimes. If they are clearly new then I would DM them and let them know it is definitely not a good idea to be on the front as a larva. If they aren't new then I would note them for it and DM them telling them not to do it again or eat a ban.
    Good answer.

You see a Xeno memeing, saying AYYLMAO, REEEEEE etc in hivemind chat, as well as insulting the Queen.
    Netspeak is not allowed and I would DM them for it as well as noting them.
    Good answer.

A Xeno player calls the shuttle a "dropship". A different Xeno player ahelps that it's low role play to call it a "dropship".
    Not lrp, iirc the hivemind is "translated" so to speak into English so that would be allowed, just like how gun, OB, and CAS, is allowed.
    Yep, you are correct. Good Answer.

A Command staff player at briefing near round-start mentions there are aliens on the planet. You receive an ahelp from a marine regarding this.
    Marines definitely do NOT know that there are xenomorphs and I would PM them afterwards telling them this, note them as well. If they are a CO I would bring this up with the councilors as COs are held to an even higher standard then normal command staff
    Good answer, and good mention that a CO is certainly not a new player and 100% knows this sort of stuff, so if they say this stuff they ought to be doing it deliberately for some sort of meta gain. It can't hurt to be brought up with the Council, just in case.

You find a Marine killing another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself. There are two other marines in the pod along with him.
    Check with the other marines to see if this is correct, if it is, I'm fairly certain this would be allowed, in fact it's even explicitly stated in the rules on the wiki that killing a marine to get their spot on an evac pod is allowed. If the story doesn't line up and the marine killed the other for apparently no reason, such as they were already giving up their spot to make a last stand or something like that, then note them for it.
    Good answer. It's obviously the cookie cutter "this is where skipping Escalation is fine" scenario, but even then one side may be lying and it may not have been entirely true. Investigating is never a bad idea.

A player insults you after you warn them for a minor issue and begins ranting in LOOC or dchat about staff and mentions you specifically, referring to you as an 'idiot' and a 'retard'.
    Insulting staff is not allowed and I would inform them of this, if they cool off, then a note would suffice. If not, they might eat a ban as well.
    Consider an OOC/LOOC/DChat ban for the time being alongside your issuing of the warning since this sort of thing is totally not acceptable. As mentioned, further hostility should be met with a ban. They can take grudges with you to a Staff Report, everything else is them shooting themself in the foot.

Good answer.

You see a fellow staff member give wrong information in an Adminhelp or incorrectly enforce a rule.
    Say something to them in private, I doubt it would be anything big so just a "I think it's this actually" would be fine. If I see them giving wrong information a lot I would talk to my manager about it.
    Good answer, though a slight correct; you should talk to THEIR manager, not yours. If they're an admin but you're a mod, your manager has no authority over them since they're under the Admin Manager.

Two staff are arguing in msay if an ahelp is breaking a rule. Because the staff who took the ahelp thinks the player broke a rule, they ban the player based on their interpretation of the rules, with others thinking the person was fine. What would you do?
    Rule 0.1 gives a fair amount of leeway in rulings and it's possible they are both correct in their own way, personally I would try to stay out of it as I don't try to throw myself into arguments, if it's spirals out of hand though I would probably talk to my manager.
    Again, talk to the manager of whomever is involved, which may include your manager as a mod but it may also not. You can also take it up with the Head Manager directly in this case I'd say since multiple staff members are involved. Staying out is certainly not a bad call though, though do try to calm things down if things are becoming heated.

Why would you like to become a moderator?
    I really love this game, and (To an extent, there's always exceptions) love the people who play it, I want to become a more involved part of it, which is why I'm also learning how to sprite and code. This community can be grating at times sure, and people say things I might not agree with. But overall this place is great, and I'd love to be able to keep it that way.
    I appreciate the honesty in accepting that we have bad apples in the community, but that those players shouldn't discourage anyone from having fun. In the end, that's sort of what Staff are here for - to ensure bad influencers can't screw up everyone's fun.

In your opinion, what is the most important quality for a moderator?
    Definitely being able to be impartial, even under harsh circumstances. You're meant to solve problems, not cause more of them. Being able to explain your reasoning and having it not be biased is very important and can help to quell issues before they even come up.
    I agree! Knowing how to be impartial can save you a lot of trouble and additionally give you a positive reputation among the player base as a person who does not take the side of any given person or faction.

Anything else you
    I am assuming this is supposed to say 'Anything else you want to tell us'. I just want to say thank you really, for making this game playable, who knows how many shitters would have their way with this place without mods, you guys get too much hate.
    You'll find out just how many wacky ahelps we get every day if you pass. Some are funny and downright comedy. Others are... depressing, nearly, to even have to handle. Some people seem to just be cartoon villains being mean for the hell of it...

A good, well-rounded app with very good answers to the questions. The last few personal questions were also really nice and genuine, I feel, and help you along well. Personally I have not had any bad interactions with you from my own recollection, though I admit I don't directly talk to you much and only on an off-chance. You seem to be likeable and calm enough to entrust with this sort of authority however, and your answers clearly prove you're knowledgeable about our procedures as Staff. My only remaining question would be to ask about your playtimes and what your personal take is on ML. How well do you know ML, personally-judging? Do you think you should brush up on it a little or do you think you're fine? Remember that Staff are EXPECTED to know ML like the back of their hand and are meant to give clarification and verdicts on ML both OOCly as part of ahelps as well as ICly when responding via fax or event characters (like Provosts). Your application is very strong, but your playtimes overall and your ML know-how is something I'm still curious about.

For now, giving you a solid +1 on this endeavour, but please provide what I asked above in a follow up post if possible. I'd genuinely like to know.
    Synthetic Unit 'Amber'.

Major Misti Rockwell, USS Yokosuka, 2nd Division, 2nd Battlegroup, 3rd Fleet.

Trial Moderator: 7th November 2021 - 21st November 2021
    Moderator: 21st November 2021 - 17th January 2022
    Senior Moderator: 17th January 2022 - 2nd of June 2022

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mod App Response

Quote Originally Posted by LilPenpusher View Post
    Unsure if you are aware or not, but just so you are: All Staff have the ability to receive and handle mentorhelps, and can spawn as SEA like any mentor could. This means if you're observing and see some unknowing PVT, you can return yourself to the lobby and train them so long as the player wishes for you to help them.
    I was not aware no, I figured they were two separate things, thank you for telling me.

Good answer overall, correct procedural thinking involving a investigation on both ends, since either side may be right or wrong. It's not just 10 minutes for theft though. Total sentence would be at least 17.5 minutes for both Theft and Trespassing into Req. Sentence may be longer if things such as Assaulting the RO/CTs is involved. You know how CM players are.
    Not super hot on ML as you picked up on at the end of your response, but I have been playing some MP and reading up on SOP and ML lately so that will change.

You've understood the core gist of this question which is that Staff are not meant/allowed to handle incidents they're personally involved in as a player. That being said there is certainly a fine line to be tread on lowpop when you're the only staff present. If the Medic is actively trying to grief lots of people (going around, ODing one person after another) then it's time to aghost, sleep the guy, aheal the people and deal with the person. This technically does go against our staff procedures but in the case of something that requires IMMEDIATE staff intervention this can be suspended to ensure the game isn't derailed and ruined for a majority of players.

In all other cases, your cited reaction is good. Ahelping first of all, and otherwise trying to handle the situation IC as much as possible (though don't just shoot them, IE still applies, even to you). MAKE SURE however to file a Player Report when the round ends. They still are possible to have griefed others, and simply having them ziptied and brought up to the MPs is not sufficient in that case - you can only dish out OOC punishment via a proper PR then.
    Wasn't quite sure what to do and I assume that's the point of the question, moderating isn't always easy answers and sometimes drastic measures need to be taken. I haven't much interacted with the forums honestly and really only check in on PRs to see if someone lost their mind and are trying to PR someone for something incredibly mundane. But I would in this instance PR the person afterwards now that I remember they exist.

Strongly recommended to also send request for help via msay (moderator chat in-game) and ask for other online staff to help handling the (presumably) numerous mutineers. Doing it alone can take very long and be very confusing. Other staff members are an invaluable resource that you can always rely on in times of need. You're not alone!
    Will definitely remember this, I'd imagine it would a lot to handle especially if it's a big mutiny.

You forgot issuing aheals to any of the involved Marines here. Also consider doing a quick MOOC telling people they're being handled and that people should continue with their round as before so as to try and return normalcy. TMods can file for permas like any other staff member, yes. You'll learn how to do so during training.
    Ahhh I knew I forgot something, got it.

Consider an OOC/LOOC/DChat ban for the time being alongside your issuing of the warning since this sort of thing is totally not acceptable. As mentioned, further hostility should be met with a ban. They can take grudges with you to a Staff Report, everything else is them shooting themself in the foot.
    Honestly didn't know those were a thing but I'll keep them in mind.

Good answer, though a slight correct; you should talk to THEIR manager, not yours. If they're an admin but you're a mod, your manager has no authority over them since they're under the Admin Manager.
    Right, I was assuming they were also a mod in this case but yes, will bring it up with the appropriate manager.

My only remaining question would be to ask about your playtimes and what your personal take is on ML. How well do you know ML, personally-judging? Do you think you should brush up on it a little or do you think you're fine? Remember that Staff are EXPECTED to know ML like the back of their hand and are meant to give clarification and verdicts on ML both OOCly as part of ahelps as well as ICly when responding via fax or event characters (like Provosts).
    I will post my playtimes here in a second but as for ML, I would say I'm decent enough at it to not always have to have it open at all times, though for sure a little lacking regardless, I've been brushing up on it lately and playing some MP (Under a different static, don't want to be getting metagrudged because people can't handle not being able to flamer some guy who stole his chair). As for playtimes.

Marine Playtime:

Xeno Playtime:
    Last edited by Tez; 12-24-2021 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Added pictures after being told how

Senior Administrator and Mentor Overseer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Playtimes aren't super high, but sufficient. I like the spread across roles of playtimes, however. MP ones are probs on the lower end, as such, I do expect you to struggle with ML and will need to spend extra time on it in training.

Note history is almost clean short of a recent lrp note in the past 30 days. Clean discord and forums.

Answers are mostly good.

Community presence is decent too.

Overall im happy to +1 this app.
    Trial Moderator: 2021-06-13 --- 2021-07-04
    Moderator: 2021-07-04 --- 2021-10-02
    Investigator: 2021-07-21 --- xxxx-xx-xx
    Trainer: 2021-08-20 --- xxxx-xx-xx
    Discord Staff: 2021-09-20 --- xxxx-xx-xx
    Senior Moderator: 2021-10-02 --- xxxx-xx-xx

Senior Admin & Whitelist Overseer Fortelian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You seem like a pretty cool dude and your answers are correct. While I can't say I've seen you around, I haven't been able to get on in a while, and you have a funny timezone.

Overall I can feel confident giving you a +1
    Salvador Kepplinger - President of Andorra
    LOV3 - The friendly Bean.
    Senior mentor

Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After Reviewing your application and Reading over Your answers I do not need to echo so you have my +1
    Retired CSM Jonathon 'Ghost' Granger

Discord Jonathongun#0219

Senior Admin
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Application accepted.

Welcome, sending information via discord DMs shortly.
    Senior Administrator