Byond ID?
    Lunaslantern

CM Character?
    Byrant "Tree" Chesterfield

Are you 16 or older?
    Yes

Timezone
    PST (GMT-8)

On average, how many hours are you available per week to moderate?
    10-12

Qualifications

Do you have any previous experience in being staff (not just SS13)?
    I admin a Destiny 2 clan with a couple other people

Do you play any servers aside from CM-SS13?
    No

Provide links to any previous Colonial Marines applications that you've made:
    Not Applicable

Are you currently a staff member elsewhere (not just SS13)? If so, where?
    Not at this time

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on Colonial Marines?
    No

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on ANY server? If so, which server, when, and what for?
    No

Are you familiar with the chat program Discord (its use is required)?
    Yes

Communication is a vital part of being a Moderator. Are you willing to actively do so with the team?
    Yes, communication is one of my soft skills

Common Staff Situations

A player randomly shoots someone at round start and MPs have detained him.
    While this is an in character issue, I can check the player's notes to see if there is a recurring issue. After investigation converse with MPs to ensure we do not punish people who are new (by explaining how the game works to them), but also keep people from round start nonsense (which is clearly forbidden).

A player ahelps that a predator has violated the honor code when killing him, what should you do?
    I should inform the player that if they believe someone with a WL job has broken the rules of that WL, then they should report it to the governing council (in this case the Predator council). However, if they are doing something that would land them a ban on the forums or discord (using racial slurs, etc) then I can take more direct steps by banning them, speaking with them and making notes as needed about the interaction (both with myself and other players). For this example though, a report to the WL council should be enough.

You see a player walking around the ship naked and clearly lost at roundstart.
    I would check if a SEA is active during the round, if there is none then I check to see if a mentor is available to help them. If no other option exists, then I can spawn in myself and help teach them the ropes (if they actually want my help).

A player is being very rude to you in adminhelps, calling you names and arguing everything you say. He is requesting to speak to an Admin+ staff member.
    I would remind them that they are specifically forbidden from arguing with moderators or insulting them. If they do not believe I have handled their issue correctly, then they can make a report with the appropriate form on the forums. I would also make a note and then hand them a 3 hour ban, so they have some time to cool off. As for escalating things directly from me to Admin, that would skip several steps and would not be a viable option for the issue.

A player ahelps that a marine is named 'John Doe', how do you deal with this?
    I would message the player and ask if they are new to CM. If yes, then I would change their name for this round and explain to them how to change it for the next round. If they do not change it then I would make a note and possibly issue a warning if they are being . If the player in question is familiar with CM and just being difficult, then it will be noted and they will receive a warning. If the notes on this player indicate a history of such behavior a ban is possible, but nothing more than a few hours.

You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green and there has been no threat to the ship in the round at this point.
    As this question is presented then they would be creating an in character issue. It would become an ooc issue if they attempted to join the front (without explicit permission), started shooting up the ship at random or similar. I would make a note about it in either case and get involved only if it escalated from there.

A Marine ahelps that they were killed by a survivor. It is early round, the Marines have just landed, and the survivor claims that they were outright hostile to all Marines from the get-go and openly stated their intentions. How do you deal with this?
    I would speak to the survivor in question about their reasoning, reminding them that we no longer have hostile survivor scenarios. If their notes indicate this was their first issue (of this sort) and they are not being argumentative about the issue then I can heal the marine (if they have not already been fixed up by a medic) and continue with the round. If the survivor in question has several notes about this subject, then they will be reminded to read the rules section of the forum and receive a warning or survivor job ban depending on the situation.

You receive an ahelp from a player stating that an MP has locked them up in permanent confinement for running into Requisitions and taking an attachment that was laying around.
    I would investigate the issue with both the MP, the prisoner and any witnesses (if needed) and check the logs. After that I will inform the MP if they need to change the punishment (in this case, jail time for robbery, damage to gov property, etc) and make a note in their file. If it turns out the prisoner in question was incorrect and deserves to be perma'd then they will be informed along with a note on their file.

The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
    For marines, I could use the fax machine to ask why High Command or WY is still waiting for results, pushing them for a redeployment. For the aliens I would use QM to remind them that hives are supposed to stretch and grow, not stagnate and decay. If both are applied I am certain one group or the other will act.

You are playing as a medic, and another medic overdoses all your patients and prevent marines from being revived. It seems like it may be on purpose. How do you deal with this situation?
    I can create my own ahelp request, but if I am playing, then I am playing. In character I can confront them or alert MPs/others to their actions.

The round ends, a Marine starts shooting a hostile CLF member and the CLF member ahelps about being killed after the round ended.
    End of round grief only applies to characters that have no reason to be attacking one another. In this case the CLF and USMC are not allies or friends and thus would attack on sight. The player would be informed of this.

A Marine is running around disarming, punching and stealing gear at round start. You receive an ahelp from one of the victims.
    This is an in character issue as presented. If the player in question has lots of notes about similar behavior or is doing things to damage/destroy special equipment (such as attempting to destroy the comm relay gear), then I would make a note and step in to remove them from the situation. They would from there receive either a warning or a temporary ban depending on how severe their actions were. Should it remain mundane then the MPs would handle it and a note would be made on their record.

You receive an ahelp from a Marine saying that he was killed by another Marine. When you ask the murderer why, he said it was because the other Marine had punched him.
    Ok so I actually did this once, and thought it was well handled. I would warn the marine that you cannot escalate issues without just cause, being punched does not mean gunning someone down. They would also receive a note in their file. From their they would serve the MPs charges for murder and be handled in the game. The victim in this instance would be revived if there was no medical assistance already being given by medics. It should also be noted that if multiple notes about this issue exist for the offending player, they will be banned.

You find out that there is an improper mutiny occuring. The mutineers are rallying together and preparing to storm the CIC. How would you attempt to resolve this situation?
    Use MOOC to remind the marines that mutinies must receive a go ahead and should not be attempting one without permission.

There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it.
    Inform the individual creating the ahelp that it will be handled and ban the offending individual. Further more I will invite them to read the rules again, paying special attention to Rule 3.

A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.
    Heal affected marines and ban offender, making a note of the event on their file. Maybe MOOC explaining that the situation is being handled.

You see a player playing a Xeno larva/chestburster run towards the frontlines straight from the Xeno hive the second they burst and die.
    Much like the lost and naked marine I would check to see if they are new to CM and if so, point them in the direction of our numerous guides on being a xeno/marine. If they are someone who has played often enough and are just being difficult then they get a note in the file and possibly a job ban if it is a recurring issue.

You see a Xeno memeing, saying AYYLMAO, REEEEEE etc in hivemind chat, as well as insulting the Queen.
    I would remind then with a warning that netspeak is not allowed and invite them to read the rules again, focusing on Rule 2. Also a note in the file.

A Xeno player calls the shuttle a "dropship". A different Xeno player ahelps that it's low role play to call it a "dropship".
    I would explain to them that xenos are, under the current version of rule 2, able to understand human English in the hivemind. Therefore this is acceptable behavior.

A Command staff player at briefing near round-start mentions there are aliens on the planet. You receive an ahelp from a marine regarding this.
    I would make a note and remind the CO that they cannot possible know what terror awaits them on the planet, meta gaming is not allowed or encouraged.

You find a Marine killing another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself. There are two other marines in the pod along with him.
    I would investigate the logs and maybe interview the surviving marines to determine whether it was appropriate and in character for the marine.

A player insults you after you warn them for a minor issue and begins ranting in LOOC or dchat about staff and mentions you specifically, referring to you as an 'idiot' and a 'retard'.
    Chat ban for several hours, note in the file, I would then attempt a conversation with the individual. I would remind them their behavior was forbidden and they can make a report if they feel the need to. I would also invite them to read the rules again, focusing on rule 0.2.

A player ahelps saying he was hugged by a Xeno when he was ssd, and wants the larva be removed from him via admin powers. How do you handle the ahelp?
    I would explain that I cannot do anything about their character catching SSD or fix whatever happened when they fell asleep.

You see a fellow staff member give wrong information in an Adminhelp or incorrectly enforce a rule.
    I can talk with the staff member about it in moderator chat and bring it up to their supervisor. Other than that, if they answered the ahelp, then they will be responsible for their response to it.

Two staff are arguing in msay if an ahelp is breaking a rule. Because the staff who took the ahelp thinks the player broke a rule, they ban the player based on their interpretation of the rules, with others thinking the person was fine. What would you do?
    I would remind everyone that we can disagree without breaking our own rules. Further more if I believe that the response truly wronged an individual, I would remind them that they can make a complaint in the forums using an appropriate form.

Why would you like to become a moderator?
    I would like to be a moderator to give back to this absurdly weird group of people. Events and funny qoutes are fun, but the reality is that dealing with all the events you asked about above is probably really irritating and stressful after a while. I am hoping that I can help spread some of the nonsense out so that we can continue to improve our community one round at a time. I also really would like to be able to help players feel more involved with faxes/QM speak.

In your opinion, what is the most important quality for a moderator?
    My answer would be flexibility, you can see by now that some of my answers talk about responding according to information found in notes and similar. I believe that no amount of training or quizzing will prepare anyone for this roll, BUT if you know a person is level headed and flexible? That is a whole different ball game right there, because they can roll with the punches and salvage even the worst messes. I mean for heaven's sake, I once watched an RO strap C4 to chairs and supply drop the active bombs ON TO THE PLANET SURFACE.

No one is ready for this, but if your flexible enough, the player base may never catch on to that fact,

Anything else you
    I have always enjoyed AvP games and when I first saw this thought it was insane, after watching a few rounds I started playing and it has blown my mind how creative people get when they are bored. I actually have a degree in game development and this game just keeps pulling me back in for some reason, I woudlnt trade it for anything!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunaslantern View Post
    A player randomly shoots someone at round start and MPs have detained him.
    While this is an in character issue, I can check the player's notes to see if there is a recurring issue. After investigation converse with MPs to ensure we do not punish people who are new (by explaining how the game works to them), but also keep people from round start nonsense (which is clearly forbidden).
    This isn't necessarily an IC issue if the intent was clearly to grief. Though it has been ICly dealt with by MPs, you should still investigate to be sure (as you yourself said) to make sure someone didn't wake up, grab a gun and gun someone down. It's also not advised to just DM the MPs when you find out the guy is a new player. Giving new players the impression that crimes have no repercussions is a bad thing to do, and at best what you CAN do is that you alert the SEA to the situation and instruct the MPs via ARES to let the Prisoner go on parole (basically) with their "punishment" being an extensive training session with the SEA. If there's no SEA, or the player isn't willing, then don't skip their brig sentence.

A player ahelps that a predator has violated the honor code when killing him, what should you do?
    I should inform the player that if they believe someone with a WL job has broken the rules of that WL, then they should report it to the governing council (in this case the Predator council). However, if they are doing something that would land them a ban on the forums or discord (using racial slurs, etc) then I can take more direct steps by banning them, speaking with them and making notes as needed about the interaction (both with myself and other players). For this example though, a report to the WL council should be enough.
    Good answer overall. In general though, we can only take action if someone breaks SERVER RULES, i.e. is being racist or the like, which I think you meant but I'm making sure just in case.

You see a player walking around the ship naked and clearly lost at roundstart.
    I would check if a SEA is active during the round, if there is none then I check to see if a mentor is available to help them. If no other option exists, then I can spawn in myself and help teach them the ropes (if they actually want my help).
    Good answer. Remember that all Staff members have SEA and mentorhelps unlocked just like any mentor and can join as SEA to help newbies.

A player is being very rude to you in adminhelps, calling you names and arguing everything you say. He is requesting to speak to an Admin+ staff member.
    I would remind them that they are specifically forbidden from arguing with moderators or insulting them. If they do not believe I have handled their issue correctly, then they can make a report with the appropriate form on the forums. I would also make a note and then hand them a 3 hour ban, so they have some time to cool off. As for escalating things directly from me to Admin, that would skip several steps and would not be a viable option for the issue.
    Taking it to another, senior staff member is out of the question because, when you take an ahelp, you specifically are relegated to handling that situation. Another Staff member can't come in and take over and override your current judgement and verdict - unless it is a Manager, and even they won't usually do that. A Staff member's verdict is final until they make a Staff Report which is then accepted. A 3 hour ban here *can* be appropriate depending on the length and degree of insults being thrown around, but it could also be a too hasty. Make sure you aren't too trigger-happy because, at the end of the day, you don't want to encourage people hating you or the staff team.

A player ahelps that a marine is named 'John Doe', how do you deal with this?
    I would message the player and ask if they are new to CM. If yes, then I would change their name for this round and explain to them how to change it for the next round. If they do not change it then I would make a note and possibly issue a warning if they are being . If the player in question is familiar with CM and just being difficult, then it will be noted and they will receive a warning. If the notes on this player indicate a history of such behavior a ban is possible, but nothing more than a few hours.
    Fair warning that DMing people about changing their names is a very prickly thing that many people will get angry towards you about. You have to keep calm and stay civil when someone tries to angrily tell you that their name is legit and that you're being dumb for not knowing it's a totally legit name. Whatever you do, ALWAYS make a note when someone is forced to change names so that in future rounds, if they RETURN to that name, it can be read by another staff member and they can be handled appropriately for ignoring your instructions.

You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green and there has been no threat to the ship in the round at this point.
    As this question is presented then they would be creating an in character issue. It would become an ooc issue if they attempted to join the front (without explicit permission), started shooting up the ship at random or similar. I would make a note about it in either case and get involved only if it escalated from there.
    More or less correct. Frontlining as shipside jobs is NEVER allowed, mind you. Command can't "allow" you to frontline as MT, OT or Doctor. The other OOC issue would be if they started fighting and griefing people with their gear. In any case, you can consider using ARES to let MPs know of the ML violation and rat them out if that's your style.

A Marine ahelps that they were killed by a survivor. It is early round, the Marines have just landed, and the survivor claims that they were outright hostile to all Marines from the get-go and openly stated their intentions. How do you deal with this?
    I would speak to the survivor in question about their reasoning, reminding them that we no longer have hostile survivor scenarios. If their notes indicate this was their first issue (of this sort) and they are not being argumentative about the issue then I can heal the marine (if they have not already been fixed up by a medic) and continue with the round. If the survivor in question has several notes about this subject, then they will be reminded to read the rules section of the forum and receive a warning or survivor job ban depending on the situation.
    As you mentioned, we USED to have hostile survivors back in the day, so this could be a case of an oldie player returning and not knowing of this new ruling. Check playtimes in any case to make sure, as well as notes. If they've not done this before, it'll be a warning in any case. If they have, strongly consider a surv jobban as you said. ALWAYS aheal the Marine in question though, as griefed players are always viable for an aheal.

You receive an ahelp from a player stating that an MP has locked them up in permanent confinement for running into Requisitions and taking an attachment that was laying around.
    I would investigate the issue with both the MP, the prisoner and any witnesses (if needed) and check the logs. After that I will inform the MP if they need to change the punishment (in this case, jail time for robbery, damage to gov property, etc) and make a note in their file. If it turns out the prisoner in question was incorrect and deserves to be perma'd then they will be informed along with a note on their file.
    You don't really need to make a note if someone incorrectly ahelps in this case usually - simply telling them they're wrong and deserve to be in perma is usually enough. Unless they already have notes for griefing MPs a lot (which this is getting close to in this case) then make a note as well. Otherwise a fine answer. Make sure to handle this OOCly so that a player doesn't sit out 30 minutes when their actual time would have been 20 minutes or less.

The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
    For marines, I could use the fax machine to ask why High Command or WY is still waiting for results, pushing them for a redeployment. For the aliens I would use QM to remind them that hives are supposed to stretch and grow, not stagnate and decay. If both are applied I am certain one group or the other will act.
    QM is generally better in these types of scenarios from personal experience since Xenos are more likely to listen to those announcements. Faxes are both ineffective, too slow, and as a Trial Mod you are also not permitted to send any. You can use ARES and QM, but not faxes.

You are playing as a medic, and another medic overdoses all your patients and prevent marines from being revived. It seems like it may be on purpose. How do you deal with this situation?
    I can create my own ahelp request, but if I am playing, then I am playing. In character I can confront them or alert MPs/others to their actions.
    You say "if I am playing, then I am playing" but staff can generally aghost and still take ahelps while logged in and playing as a character. The issue here SPECIFICALLY is that you are playing and the incident involves you. Therefore, you can't handle it as staff since you would inevitably be biased. You are correct in ahelping the situation, but what would you do if you were the only staff member online/able to respond? These types of scenarios aren't rare in our lowpop times.

The round ends, a Marine starts shooting a hostile CLF member and the CLF member ahelps about being killed after the round ended.
    End of round grief only applies to characters that have no reason to be attacking one another. In this case the CLF and USMC are not allies or friends and thus would attack on sight. The player would be informed of this.
    Correct, good answer.

A Marine is running around disarming, punching and stealing gear at round start. You receive an ahelp from one of the victims.
    This is an in character issue as presented. If the player in question has lots of notes about similar behavior or is doing things to damage/destroy special equipment (such as attempting to destroy the comm relay gear), then I would make a note and step in to remove them from the situation. They would from there receive either a warning or a temporary ban depending on how severe their actions were. Should it remain mundane then the MPs would handle it and a note would be made on their record.
    I think you mean the right thing, so I'll say it's a good answer. Overall stealing things and disarming is entirely an IC issue to be handled by MPs. It becomes an OOC issue if someone 1. does it repeatedly, seemingly just to be a dick to people 2. steals high-value and/or rare equipment (such as equipment that costs vendor points) or 3. does so in a way that actively griefs people, which goes hand-in-hand with the other two. Someone stealing comms parts, spec gear or the CO's Mateba/Tablet for example.

You receive an ahelp from a Marine saying that he was killed by another Marine. When you ask the murderer why, he said it was because the other Marine had punched him.
    Ok so I actually did this once, and thought it was well handled. I would warn the marine that you cannot escalate issues without just cause, being punched does not mean gunning someone down. They would also receive a note in their file. From their they would serve the MPs charges for murder and be handled in the game. The victim in this instance would be revived if there was no medical assistance already being given by medics. It should also be noted that if multiple notes about this issue exist for the offending player, they will be banned.
    Make sure to understand the intent and "skill level" of the player when giving a verdict. They are more or less guilty by default due to admitting they shot someone for punching them, skipping escalation, but you still have to find out if it's a new player or if they're experienced enough to know better. Furthermore, you have to investigate if there were any prior exchanges between the players that could mean this was a sort of hategrudge case. Warning them is usually enough, but a ban is not out of the question either. In any case, refer them to the rules page in DMs and note them.

You find out that there is an improper mutiny occuring. The mutineers are rallying together and preparing to storm the CIC. How would you attempt to resolve this situation?
    Use MOOC to remind the marines that mutinies must receive a go ahead and should not be attempting one without permission.
    So you use MOOC and politely tell Marines that they need permission. But what then? You still have an entire Marine force bunching up in front of CiC, and I can GUARANTEE you that a fair few of them will not care about your MOOC announcement. How do you deal with an actual, improper mutiny when it does occur? The mutineers, previously rallied IN FRONT of CiC, have now broken INTO CiC and shots are being fired at the CO, XO and SOs.

There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it.
    Inform the individual creating the ahelp that it will be handled and ban the offending individual. Further more I will invite them to read the rules again, paying special attention to Rule 3.
    We have a absolute zero tolerance policy towards racism both OOC and IC, so I can't say banning them is a bad take. However, make sure to judge case-by-case what their intent was and whether the term they used would seriously warrant it. Nobody wants to excuse racism but at times a warn is enough. If it's the Hard R then you can freely ban them for at least a day though.

A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.
    Heal affected marines and ban offender, making a note of the event on their file. Maybe MOOC explaining that the situation is being handled.
    MOOC is a good addition since it calms people down and lets them immediately know the asshole that just killed them is being wrangled. That said, explain further how you deal with the offender. They've already left, so questioning them for their motives is hardly possible now. How exactly are you gonna proceed and what exact punishment do you see fit, and why?

You see a player playing a Xeno larva/chestburster run towards the frontlines straight from the Xeno hive the second they burst and die.
    Much like the lost and naked marine I would check to see if they are new to CM and if so, point them in the direction of our numerous guides on being a xeno/marine. If they are someone who has played often enough and are just being difficult then they get a note in the file and possibly a job ban if it is a recurring issue.
    Good enough. Still, a new player should be made aware in DMs that what they did is NOT ok and shouldn't be repeated. While giving them a nod towards guides is great, it's equally as important for them to realise what they did wasn't within the boundaries of our rules.

You see a Xeno memeing, saying AYYLMAO, REEEEEE etc in hivemind chat, as well as insulting the Queen.
    I would remind then with a warning that netspeak is not allowed and invite them to read the rules again, focusing on Rule 2. Also a note in the file.
    Good answer.

A Xeno player calls the shuttle a "dropship". A different Xeno player ahelps that it's low role play to call it a "dropship".
    I would explain to them that xenos are, under the current version of rule 2, able to understand human English in the hivemind. Therefore this is acceptable behavior.
    That's essentially what the ruling boils down to, so yes. Good answer.

A Command staff player at briefing near round-start mentions there are aliens on the planet. You receive an ahelp from a marine regarding this.
    I would make a note and remind the CO that they cannot possible know what terror awaits them on the planet, meta gaming is not allowed or encouraged.
    The question doesn't specifically mention it's a CO. If this is a SO, XO or aCO, then they aren't whitelisted but just a "regular" player. You'd DM them as you said and let them know to stop the metagaming, and leave a note. If it's a CO, however, then they're specifically whitelisted and meant to be senior command players that are on top of their game and the rules, and are thus held to a higher standard. You should still DM them and let them know what they did is metagaming. In addition, you should take this to the CO Council/Senator and inform them of this case of metagaming, as it's a Whitelist issue by extension (though metagaming itself is a server rulebreak, and therefore you can issue a note and warning).

You find a Marine killing another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself. There are two other marines in the pod along with him.
    I would investigate the logs and maybe interview the surviving marines to determine whether it was appropriate and in character for the marine.
    You didn't specifically spell it out, but this is obviously one of the very few cases where outright team killing is acceptable - in the case of gunning someone down to steal their spot on a pod. Your procedure is, however, good. Just because it initially LOOKS to be such a case, you should still investigate. It might be that someone did something wrong, like a player killing another to "take their spot on a pod" despite there being 3 other pods around them which were empty.

A player insults you after you warn them for a minor issue and begins ranting in LOOC or dchat about staff and mentions you specifically, referring to you as an 'idiot' and a 'retard'.
    Chat ban for several hours, note in the file, I would then attempt a conversation with the individual. I would remind them their behavior was forbidden and they can make a report if they feel the need to. I would also invite them to read the rules again, focusing on rule 0.2.
    If someone insults you in Staff DMs directly, that's one thing. It's private and you can warn them to cope and make a Staff Report then. When someone goes OUT OF THEIR WAY to demean you IN PUBLIC, then they reasonably lose that wiggle room. Issue a ban for toxicity towards staff and note it in addition to whatever you were dealing with them for. Staff absolutely should not take shit from people, and even less so when they make their shit-stirring public.

A player ahelps saying he was hugged by a Xeno when he was ssd, and wants the larva be removed from him via admin powers. How do you handle the ahelp?
    I would explain that I cannot do anything about their character catching SSD or fix whatever happened when they fell asleep.
    Correct, we don't issue aheals to SSD players under most circumstances. Inform the player they'll need to get surgery to have the larva removed as usual, and that they shouldn't have SSD'd at the frontline to begin with. IC issue.

You see a fellow staff member give wrong information in an Adminhelp or incorrectly enforce a rule.
    I can talk with the staff member about it in moderator chat and bring it up to their supervisor. Other than that, if they answered the ahelp, then they will be responsible for their response to it.
    Correct, you can't overturn another staff member's ruling if they're handling something. Bring it up to their respective Manager (Moderator or Admin Manager respectively) on Discord and inform them of what happened. Ideally, make sure you have screenshots of what happened and what was said as well.

Two staff are arguing in msay if an ahelp is breaking a rule. Because the staff who took the ahelp thinks the player broke a rule, they ban the player based on their interpretation of the rules, with others thinking the person was fine. What would you do?
    I would remind everyone that we can disagree without breaking our own rules. Further more if I believe that the response truly wronged an individual, I would remind them that they can make a complaint in the forums using an appropriate form.
    The person was already banned, so you can't reach out to them in-game anymore. I assume by that you meant reaching out over Discord, though that's not always possible (or easy to find them on). Reminding everyone to stay calm and civil is a good thing to do, though if you personally believe a staff member acted in error you should proceed as with the previous question - approach their Manager. If you come across two or multiple staff members being toxic in msay towards one another, contact the Head Manager about this. It's not acceptable conduct.

Why would you like to become a moderator?
    I would like to be a moderator to give back to this absurdly weird group of people. Events and funny qoutes are fun, but the reality is that dealing with all the events you asked about above is probably really irritating and stressful after a while. I am hoping that I can help spread some of the nonsense out so that we can continue to improve our community one round at a time. I also really would like to be able to help players feel more involved with faxes/QM speak.
    I'm unsure what you mean here. You're saying that dealing with staff situations as above is "irritating and stressful", so why would you want to handle them by becoming a Moderator? To me this seems like a negative and makes it unclear as for why you want to be a Moderator. Maybe I misunderstood your gist here, though, so please clarify in a response.

In your opinion, what is the most important quality for a moderator?
    My answer would be flexibility, you can see by now that some of my answers talk about responding according to information found in notes and similar. I believe that no amount of training or quizzing will prepare anyone for this roll, BUT if you know a person is level headed and flexible? That is a whole different ball game right there, because they can roll with the punches and salvage even the worst messes. I mean for heaven's sake, I once watched an RO strap C4 to chairs and supply drop the active bombs ON TO THE PLANET SURFACE.

No one is ready for this, but if your flexible enough, the player base may never catch on to that fact,
    I suppose by flexible you mean something along the lines of being able to cope with stress and the many oddities that ahelps can and will present you with as a moderator - in which case I'd agree! Though again, this flexibility is a bit in contrast to your previous answer where you said handling ahelps would likely become irritating and stressful for you... again, elaborate a bit please, just to be sure.

So yeah, overall the answers are fairly solid and demonstrate an adequate knowledge of staff procedures and our server rules. A few holes here and there I think but those can probably be plugged in mod training.

However, please post your playtimes here in a follow-up post for me, as I'd personally be interested in them. I also would like a reply to some of the questions I ended up shooting back at you throughout my replies here. Please reply to them. I'll give my verdict on this once you've submitted said reply.
    Synthetic Unit 'Amber'.

Major Misti Rockwell, USS Yokosuka, 2nd Division, 2nd Battlegroup, 3rd Fleet.

Trial Moderator: 7th November 2021 - 21st November 2021
    Moderator: 21st November 2021 - 17th January 2022
    Senior Moderator: 17th January 2022 - 2nd of June 2022

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am happy to respond to your feedback and hopefully clear some things up. I do not entirely understand how the forum works, so I will do the best I can with old fashioned typing it all out.

1. "QM is generally better in these types of scenarios from personal experience since Xenos are more likely to listen to those announcements. Faxes are both ineffective, too slow, and as a Trial Mod you are also not permitted to send any. You can use ARES and QM, but not faxes. "

- I was under the impression that trial mods could not use ARES, but yes that seems far more effective than faxes.

2. "You say "if I am playing, then I am playing" but staff can generally aghost and still take ahelps while logged in and playing as a character. The issue here SPECIFICALLY is that you are playing and the incident involves you. Therefore, you can't handle it as staff since you would inevitably be biased. You are correct in ahelping the situation, but what would you do if you were the only staff member online/able to respond? These types of scenarios aren't rare in our low pop times."

- So this is an instance where I was unaware of the ability to ghost and handle ahelps. If that is the case then I would remove the griefing player with a temp ban, and return to my character to continue medical work. I do not think that ahealing would be appropriate for the characters as the griefing did not cause them to be hurt, but I understand if this choice is not agreed with.

3. "So you use MOOC and politely tell Marines that they need permission. But what then? You still have an entire Marine force bunching up in front of CiC, and I can GUARANTEE you that a fair few of them will not care about your MOOC announcement. How do you deal with an actual, improper mutiny when it does occur? The mutineers, previously rallied IN FRONT of CiC, have now broken INTO CiC and shots are being fired at the CO, XO and SOs."

- This is an instance where I am not entirely certain what I *could* do, mostly because I do not understand the tool set mods have to work with. That being said, I am aware that flashbangs can be deployed into groups if warnings are not enough. If they have bunched in front of CiC I could force it to be locked down and keep the groups separated. I could also remove the instigator of this issue with a temp ban.

4. "MOOC is a good addition since it calms people down and lets them immediately know the asshole that just killed them is being wrangled. That said, explain further how you deal with the offender. They've already left, so questioning them for their motives is hardly possible now. How exactly are you gonna proceed and what exact punishment do you see fit, and why?"

- I would rule that a ban on their account would be in order, there is not a situation I can think of where this would be appropriate or excusable behavior no matter who the player is. It is clearly just griefing in extreme and has no place in the game.

5. "I'm unsure what you mean here. You're saying that dealing with staff situations as above is "irritating and stressful", so why would you want to handle them by becoming a Moderator? To me this seems like a negative and makes it unclear as for why you want to be a Moderator. Maybe I misunderstood your gist here, though, so please clarify in a response."

- Ok, so this one is the fault of me not wording things properly. I understand that moderation is not always fun and games, but more often is dealing with people causing trouble and ensuring the players are following the rules. While this can be troublesome if there is only a few people doing it, having more people help moderate makes the work easier for everyone. I want to contribute to the betterment of the server and while I do not have the answers to everything, I can certainly be trained well enough. I hope this explains it better, the idea is more along the lines of "many hands make light work, so let me contribute my efforts" sort of deal. The first time I ought to have read my response more thoroughly before posting it and I apologize for that.

6. "I suppose by flexible you mean something along the lines of being able to cope with stress and the many oddities that ahelps can and will present you with as a moderator - in which case I'd agree! Though again, this flexibility is a bit in contrast to your previous answer where you said handling ahelps would likely become irritating and stressful for you... again, elaborate a bit please, just to be sure."

- So I did not mean for me in particular in terms of stress, although it will require some adjustment I am certain. In terms of flexibility though, I believe its best explained this way. I am used to managing smaller teams of around 10ish people and taking in feedback from them and my supervisors about my performance. I know that I will not always respond correctly to the situation and generally try to be open about feedback that can improve my performance in my duties. Being flexible means that sometimes you are operating on a team of people or sometimes you are alone making choices all by yourself, but in either case you can make the best choice for the situation.

I understand if you are looking for something different in a moderator, I admit that I do not fully understand the range of options you have in dealing with players on a day to day basis. I appreciate your feedback in either case and will be attaching the images for my play times to this post. Please let me know if you have any further questions!

Lunas_marine_time.jpg
    Lunas_xeno_time.JPG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Yeah, the form is a bit outdated and is scheduled for a bit of a redo. Trial Mods USED to not be allowed to use ARES I believe, but they sure can nowadays. Not your fault.

2. Sadly... very wrong. The question revolves around staff NOT being allowed to intervene and handle incidents that they are personally involved in. I did actually mention this but you must have misread or falsely understood it. Staff should not be aghosting, bwoink someone and take any action against them, as they're going to be inherently biased due to being involved. You see something? Ahelp it. If there is no staff available to handle it, you should make a player report after the round ends if the incident allows it. If it is a major case of mass grief, for example, you MAY however take action regardless, as a matter of maintaining player enjoyability and limiting grief. This means if someone is going around shooting everyone or mass ODing people to the point where they're all going unconscious, you may be allowed to aghost and handle them by sleeping them and bwoinking. This is a LAST RESORT however, and protocol says we aren't meant to do this usually. Ahelp it and let another staff member handle it.

3. Right, this was perhaps a bit unfair on you if you didn't know what tools you had available, so I won't judge you harshly. TMods and Mods can't spawn anything, flashbangs included, so that's out. We also don't have remote control so we can't lock down CiC. Both would be temporary solutions anyway though, but we want a permanent one. The correct procedure would be to asleep EVERYONE in your field of view to completely pacify and halt the situation. Then make sure to call for help to other staff in the in-game staff msay chat, and handle all the illegal mutineers. Bans are probably in order due to you warning them and them actively attempting to grief regardless (judging by the shots fired, which was ALSO not ok because mutinies have to offer the CO to step down first, so also false procedure).

4. I was more referring to what type of ban you were intending, i.e. the ban length. Would it be a day ban? Month? Would you be filing for a permanent ban in this case?

5. Ahh, I see! That does in fact seem like a bit of a slip of the tongue and bad wording. I understand what you meant now far better, and would give that my thumbs up, in any case.

6. Similar to above.

You make a good impression to me, and your playtimes are... ok, at the very least? Not the highest but certainly ok I'd say. Though I ought to ask, with below 10 total hours as MP, and no Command hours *at all*, do you feel confident in your knowledge of Marine Law? Its knowledge is absolutely VITAL as staff and not optional. Staff are not only expected to know it more or less perfectly, but are meant to give IC and OOC rulings on it as well. You NEED to be able to have this down 100% so that you won't end up making a bad call that could ruin someone's round and end with you receiving a staff report.

Do you feel as though you are ready to handle things related to ML? Don't worry if you aren't 100% certain, few of us are at all times, but you should be making an effort to train a little as MP if so. Contrary to popular belief, ML knowledge is more than "just reading from a wiki page" and requires in-game experience to properly apply.

Looking forward to your reply!
    Synthetic Unit 'Amber'.

Major Misti Rockwell, USS Yokosuka, 2nd Division, 2nd Battlegroup, 3rd Fleet.

Trial Moderator: 7th November 2021 - 21st November 2021
    Moderator: 21st November 2021 - 17th January 2022
    Senior Moderator: 17th January 2022 - 2nd of June 2022

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am getting a clearer picture of what you are asking for, sorry about the confusion!

2. I totally misunderstood you, I had agree that just hopping out of your player and handling the issue yourself is the wrong choice for most instances. There would be no easy way to separate how upset I am from the situation and be fair about my reaction. I also agree that mass events should be treated with more urgency.

3. I think that asleeping the whole group is a great way to handle it, I think in this instance I would need to see the events take place to judge how many folks need to be removed and how many are simply caught up in events.

4. Ban length for shooting up briefing and then logging out immediately after? I would start with a month if it was their first offense of this nature, there is an appeals process in place and that provides them with a place to voice whatever excuses or reasoning they think would justify such behavior. IF they react poorly (i.e. hopping into discord and causing a huge ruckus) then the ban could be justifiably made permanent.

I have been giving this whole thing some serious thought, and I agree that I could certainly use more time in the MP category. I admit that I have been avoiding it because almost every time I roll MP, either nothing happens shipside (usually when I play during lowpop) or I get thrown around with a batshit insane CMP who ends up getting the provost called on them (last time they brought a pet rabbit with them, that part was at least funny).

I think my best course of action would be to withdraw my application and get more time in both as an MP (to understand marine law) and in various medical roles (so I can unlock the actual command jobs). I can always apply again in a few months and the good lord knows I will have learned much more by then. I want to say that I really do appreciate your time giving me this feedback as it has shown me some weak areas, but I believe there is some potential in the future to be a good mod.

That said, I wish to withdraw my application. I do, however, thank you for your time and input. I hope to see you on here again in a few months!

Senior Admin
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Application withdrawn. You may reapply whenever you feel you are ready.
    Senior Administrator