HEX
    Their BYOND Key
    lunarflu
    Approximate time and date of the incident
    5:20pm gmt
    Which Staff Protocols (//showthrea...-and-Protocols) were broken
    I guess preserving RP?
    Description of the incident
    Marines were pushing east gap on LV, in Hivemind I said: "Our long deathless winter has left us numb. Our wasted animal within, ugly and gaunt, hibernates beneath our shimmering beauty. Why do these Humans stir us so? They burn with our lost desires, lost instincts. Money-tamed, but only just. Cast and hunted as game. Trapped and tortured, yet they remain... animals."

I was then almost immediately bwoinked by Lunarflu, asking if it was a quote from Warframe, to which I responded that I had edited some of it to fit CM/xeno but that yes, Warframe was the origin (more specifically, it's from an old and incredibly niche trailer for a Prime warframe that you pretty much would have to google the quote to find). I was then told that it was LRP and not edited enough, and told that I was being noted.

My issue comes from the fact that, other than its origin, the quote was perfectly suited to the scenario I used it in, and that there's nothing listed in the roleplay standards or rules as a whole that you cannot use quotes from other media whatsoever. I have been saying things like this for a few days now and have had a lot of positive feedback from other players/xenos that they enjoy seeing the quotes I find come up in hivemind when a battle starts or ends, so it's a little disconcerting that it's apparently LRP and that I can't do it anymore.
    EvidenceWhat resolution are you seeking?
    Clarification on whether it's truly LRP to use a quote taken from somewhere else if it's changed to fit the scenario it's being used in, and removal of note if it's not considered such. Or, if it is considered LRP, proper notation or outlining in the roleplay guidelines about quotes from other media - what if I was a commander citing Winston Churchill, for example?

I do not want the mod punished as I'm sure they were doing what they thought was best.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) I bwoinked you because it was immediately obvious you had copy-pasted an existing speech into hivemind.

2) I don't see how it's helpful for all xenos to see this in hivemind, beyond you referencing a game you enjoy.

3) I don't see how you adapted it to be unique to CM, as you changed only 2 words in the entire speech.

4) Overall it wasn't a massive problem, which is why I left it a note. I've been more strict with regards to LRP and xenos lately since they have been doing too much OOC in IC. I think it's LRP for a xeno to say almost word for word a speech from a video game.

Whitelisted Predator ChainsawMullet's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lunarflu View Post
    1) I bwoinked you because it was immediately obvious you had copy-pasted an existing speech into hivemind.
    I don't see how it's immediately obvious unless you already knew where it was from.

2) I don't see how it's helpful for all xenos to see this in hivemind, beyond you referencing a game you enjoy.
    Is hivemind only for things that are helpful? Should people stop talking about how much they like watching BOO or about how easy winning groundside was?

3) I don't see how you adapted it to be unique to CM, as you changed only 2 words in the entire speech.
    I changed it until I saw it fitting for a xeno to say, which admittedly didn't take many changes - it was almost perfectly suited from the getgo, just with non-CM names in the way.

4) Overall it wasn't a massive problem, which is why I left it a note. I've been more strict with regards to LRP and xenos lately since they have been doing too much OOC in IC. I think it's LRP for a xeno to say almost word for word a speech from a video game.
    I'm glad you've been cracking down on xeno LRP, I personally don't think quoting other media or history is LRP, that's the only reason I made this - because I thought the quote was fitting for the scenario, game, and role I was playing. I have been trying to engage with other players both as marine and xeno in a more roleplay-friendly manner, so I wanted confirmation that this is considered LRP despite fitting the use-case so well.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) It seemed too professional. I've never touched warframe, but it seemed suspicious. Very few players would do that naturally.

2) Hivemind is not always useful, that's true.

3) I guess this is a matter of opinion. I don't envision xenos doing such a thing, because they don't care about describing the world. They just follow orders.

4) I applaud you for making a conscious effort. Not many players do. I think in the future you should DRAW INSPIRATION from themes in games and stories you enjoy, but not copy them outright. It does your own RP a disservice if you only copy others, right? That's what I would say - Try and distill interesting stories and then reimagine them for CM.

Admin Manager
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Logs:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Whitelisted Predator ChainsawMullet's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) It seemed too professional. I've never touched warframe, but it seemed suspicious. Very few players would do that naturally.
    I don't know how to say this in a "humble" way but if I were to write something from scratch it would come out in a similar manner or quality, in fact I have done so several times for use in OOC, most popularly the Lurkers and Warriors copypasta - which originated from me.

3) I guess this is a matter of opinion. I don't envision xenos doing such a thing, because they don't care about describing the world. They just follow orders.
    As far as Xeno roleplay goes, the Queen's orders come first, and Xenos do indeed all share a hivemind. However, due to the existence of xeno IDs and other identifying features that have become IC - the xenos in CM, to me, have a sense of individuality and "self". It is not OOC for a Praetorian to refer to a Lurker as "SCU" and recognise them as a specific mind that occupies that form, or at least it has never been treated as such.

4) I applaud you for making a conscious effort. Not many players do. I think in the future you should DRAW INSPIRATION from themes in games and stories you enjoy, but not copy them outright. It does your own RP a disservice if you only copy others, right? That's what I would say - Try and distill interesting stories and then reimagine them for CM.
    I don't understand how it does my RP a disservice when my intention was to share a speech about the humans? It's copied yes, but modified in a way that fits CM - in a way that doesn't seem out of character nor does it degrade the atmosphere of the hivemind.

Similar to whenever Lauffer posts a huge paragraph monologuing about his thoughts on a subject, this is meant to accomplish the same feat. Drawing inspiration or modifying, I don't understand how the intention from the post would've changed if I had paraphrased it instead. It is still sharing thoughts on the humans.

I don't think it should be LRP purely because it's derived from a game quote if it fits the setting. Soldier had posted this months ago in announcements before:
    'Roleplay is roleplay, I don’t believe in the silly labels. As long as the roleplay fits our setting, makes sense, and doesn’t mechanically ruin a round for someone else'.

Also, thank you Dubszor for the logs, I'll make this my last response and let management decide from here.

Senior Admin
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought about this for a bit after getting some additional feedback.

I do not believe lunarflu violated policy or procedure or did so in bad faith towards you. I can understand both yours and theirs interpretation of this.

In this instance, I can agree that the quote seems removed enough that its less of a meme (providing you don't spam it) and while its not exactly my thing, we have in the past let people get away with such adaptation of material from other games or fiction.

As such, while I will not be taking any action against lunar, I do agree that the note should be removed. I would like to stress that this is somewhat of an edge case and is not indicative of general policy - OOC quotes or quotes ripped verbatim with clear indication of their source are still LRP and will net sanction.

Report resolved.
    Senior Administrator