User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT gone too far?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OT gone too far?

Check out this one crazy grenade most of us failed to notice in the midst of everything.

There should be a limit on abilities a grenade can do, right?

https://streamable.com/laj3lc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok but when a max cap blows up and stumps a push or kills 5 marines xenos are silent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ObsidianCrow View Post
    ok but when a max cap blows up and stumps a push or kills 5 marines xenos are silent
    As a wise man once said, "it's only bullshit if it happens to me."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well maxcaps can be abused. Sadly most things are fixed by now, this still isn't. This is not a 'real' maxcap per say. If you know OT, you know you have to give up either some range, fire range, fall off, duration or fire intensity to get big explosion. This nade does not give up any of that.

Now killing a T3 from 100% HP with not even direct hit should be impossible. You can read the numbers. We used to have an (outdated and limited) guide online, but that does not take in account the materials used to abuse maxcap and increase the explosion or intensity over the max threshold. For example the max explosion for C4 SHOULD be 260 units. And that is true with a normal OT run. But most OTs will spend all their time figuring out what else they can put inside that nade that will ruin the code and give you 1000 units of damage or more.

Really simple to test it also. Spawn in a maxcap M15 (seen in this video), max out power properly (not just full octo but account for falloff) than make an other one with max intensity also. You will never kill a Prae. Not even close.

Now normally you could not be able to override this even with research materials, as the max capacity should still apply. Normally once you got a level 10 research chemical for bigger booms, you can reduce the amount needed and fill the rest up with other things to increase the duration or intensity of the fire or to add shrapnel (which does little damage, but again can be abused).

So even if we have research chemicals, they should STILL not be able to oneshot kill a prae ever.

How ever, there are some things that you can put inside that is found outside of OT lab, like in chem room, or cafeteria that WILL break the code and WILL give you oneshot nades and I can guarantee you they are unintended. The reason I assume this, is you can see the actual burn and other number on other server's wikis. If you just use them with nothing mixed, they actually give a pretty accurate number.

Buuut...if you mix it correctly, you can override the maxcaps. Usually you can get away with it, as some xenos will complain. But sometimes you get busted like in this case. Who would believe that one nade killed 4-5 xenos from 100% HP? They will just mock you to xenos mad. That's how we kept using these nades, until devs fix it slowly.

Now some things are fixed, some still not, but I can assure you maxcaps can be still very much abused to this day.

An other thing I don't see mentioned here is the silent mortars/CAS. I reported this on gitlab and nobody cares. Sometimes there is no flare, no warning, no dot, no sound, no nothing. The only way you know how did you insta-die is to ask other Dchat people to copy paste it to you. That's when you are going to see that it is still buggy. So I would not rule it out that all the xenos died to this bug that is not fixed to this day.

Also...there is abused OT and...just fucked up OT. You can make 6-7 OT C4s explode on 1 tile without placing them. Just dont instakill queen as you WILL get bwoinked...talking from experience.

TLDR: OT nade should not insta-kill T3s from 100% hp unless abused. You might have died to a CAS/mortar bug on top of nade (yes no explosion, we can abuse maxfire no explosion OT mortars same as nades).

Dev Team Manager Stan_albatross's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You were at about 500 hp when the nade hit, the explosion took you down to 120ish, the fire did some and then the SADAR rocket did the rest.

If anyone knows of or about any bugs with OT grenades that allow you to bypass the explosion cap I encourage you to make a detailed gitlab bug report about it. Make it confidential if you believe it will lead to further abuse.
    Karl Karlsson, the man (and sometimes Captain)
    Maxwell, the synth
    Enhath'vot Guan-Dha, the predator
    Also a feature Coder & CM's Maintainer Team Manager

Timeline :
    Spoiler Spoiler:

[CENTER]Retired Synth councilman, forever a member of IO gang

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    since numbers, etc was brought up, looking at the video a few times:

Tiles away: 1 or 2 (it was one diagonal away, not sure if it counts as 1 or 2 tiles away)
    Grenade damage: 443 (567 - 124)
    Grenade stuntime: 7 seconds
    Fire damage: 9 then 15 per tick

Total damage including fire damage when stunned, and average time to escape and put out the fire:
    about 575. In the video the fire did 81 damage (124 - 43) after stun and moving 4 tiles. Xeno could be saved immediately during stun, or running away to an acid pillar, or in this case I would have died without the rocket.

575 damage and 7 seconds of stun is a ALOT higher than what you are trying to say Stan. Why are you trying to lowball the effect to 380 damage? The video is right there.

Ungas blowing themselves up can revive. Sadars do it all the time. You say "stumps a push" as though you just lost permed 2 specs and a SG in a single explosion. If these grenades were so detrimential to the unga's progression then they wouldn't be made at all. Grenades safer for FF would be made instead. It turns out that max caps are still constantly promoted though, and why is that? almost as if unga lives don't matter and a single push can be restarted. To be fair, I have seen SADAR absolutely screw over his entire team, etc. It does happen. After the grenade becomes stupidly deadly for ungas though it just gets pushed higher and higher til you can 1 shot an entire group of T3s.

EDIT: 5 second stun, there was 2 seconds of lag.
    Last edited by Master Havoc; 01-08-2022 at 10:39 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Based OT makes virgin xenos cope and seethe.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remove all nades, I dare you benomains. Not because I have any stake in OT, never even played that shit and never even use those in the first place, but I dare you, remove all nades for a week and then come back to complain for a straight up marine buff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ungas blowing themselves up can revive. Sadars do it all the time. You say "stumps a push" as though you just lost permed 2 specs and a SG in a single explosion. If these grenades were so detrimential to the unga's progression then they wouldn't be made at all. Grenades safer for FF would be made instead. It turns out that max caps are still constantly promoted though, and why is that? almost as if unga lives don't matter and a single push can be restarted. To be fair, I have seen SADAR absolutely screw over his entire team, etc. It does happen. After the grenade becomes stupidly deadly for ungas though it just gets pushed higher and higher til you can 1 shot an entire group of T3s.
    for real. I barely remember a few few times when OT nades mattered in a marine round I played or watch and even as xeno I cant remember one time I died to an OT nade (barring SD/lifeboats/almayer dets which doesn't count imho its a meme). Now the times I've been blown up with a grenade full stop just grenades? like every fucking round lol. And also the other day eric threw a grenade onto the normandy and turned the round into a xeno minor because it snubbed the marine push into the loaded up drop ship.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, as a marine it doesn't feel good that one stupid unga got an OT grenade and ruined any winnable chances. As a xeno, I may laugh that the ungas defeated themselves, but in the end I feel as though it was a hallow win. It would be like 10 minutes into the operation the marines nuke the planet. Yay victory...but does it really feel like a victory?

It sounds like you guys are agreeing the grenades are too powerful.