User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Current Feature Discussion - USCM rank change

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeofCagliostro View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I have an idea for updated officer ranks.

PO - 2nd Lt
    SO - 1st Lt
    MW - 1st LT
    RO - Captain
    CE - Captain
    CMP - Captain
    XO - Major
    CO - Lt. Colonel
    This is better. I'd still argue the XO should be a Lt.Col and the CO be a full Colonel but we have three-ringers incharge of some pretty important shit in real life so that's not unrealistic.

If you want Doctors to be Officers then Researchers should remain Civilian and report to the Corporate Liaison.

Mess Sergeant should really be a Sergeant or renamed to Chef/Steward.

Squad Leads should probably be Staff Sergeant again.

CT's being PFC's is hilarious and I love it.

MT's should probably be at least a Corporal.

MPs should be given a rank buff to non-existent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lt. Colonel as CO and Major as XO is how it is in real life in usmc batallion, and E-5 sergeants are squad leaders in real life but whoever is in charge of lore downgraded Almayer to company level. Also in aliens lore USS Sulaco is commanded by O-2 LT Gorman and in Colonial Marines USS Sephora is commanded by O-3 Captain Cruz makes no sense there too for multimilion dollar ships to be commanded by such low ranking officers but it is what it is. I do agree that Almayer should be batallion not company.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phenomeus View Post
    Lt. Colonel as CO and Major as XO is how it is in real life in usmc batallion, and E-5 sergeants are squad leaders in real life but whoever is in charge of lore downgraded Almayer to company level. Also in aliens lore USS Sulaco is commanded by O-2 LT Gorman and in Colonial Marines USS Sephora is commanded by O-3 Captain Cruz makes no sense there too for multimilion dollar ships to be commanded by such low ranking officers but it is what it is. I do agree that Almayer should be batallion not company.
    USCM Technical Manual states USCM Starships are actually mostly commanded and controlled by artificial intelligence. Not like in halo, more "It's a very clever computer". I agree the CO being a Major is silly and I've even advocated against it but in the lore, a starship can just be given a compliment of Marines of any size and told "Go there and do this".

If we're being specific, they fall under the purview of the United States Aerospace Force (USASF). I'd have to re-check my book.

tl;dr: ARES is the real CO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is one ship that had CO as Colonel and it was transporting batallion: https://avp.fandom.com/wiki/UAS_Endeavor

But it had 730 marines unlike our 150 max Almayer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The old ranks seemed like a non-issue aside from very few, but I suppose the new ones don't detract from the game.

But putting Medbay into the Marine Corps was a bad call, it ruined the only major interaction between military/civilian (If you don't count literal colony survivours or the CL, but those aren't in charge of anything important, the medbay is the only source for treatment of major injuries and are vital to the success of the operation. Having the Almayer Military Command but heads with the CMO/Docs/Researchers on how to go about their business is always fun because medical had some ground to stand in, since they were civilians and don't take military orders).

Aside from that some of the new ranks may make sense from a irl marine corps standpoint, but from an roleplay rank structure it doesn't make sense that:
    - The specially trained MT (E2) is outranked by the baldie who got thought how to slap a few cades together (E3).

- The Mess Sergeant (E2 [I mean come on, it even has Sergeant in the title]) can be ordered around by normal grunts, or vice verse if the MS still had a higher rank, why would a cook be able to order
    combat marines around, it seems like a prime candidate to make into an civilian role.

- That (like others pointed out) so Junior Officer positions are heading such vital departments, they should at least be one rank up each (aside from the CMO who should be civ) to show "hey, these aren't the dorks that just graduated Officer's School and maybe put in enough desk hours for an promotion but rather actual experienced officers.

Maybe I am alone with those grievances but I'd hate it if I hadn't voice my opinion.
    (Also fuck forcing ourselves basing our development choices off of existing cannon lore, who cares if we do things our way, will the evil mouse come sue us for not naming the commander of the ship Major Poopenfarten because some comic somewhere claimed that that was a standard requirement for marine ships?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate all the feed back. We may not change anything but we started a conversation. Cant thank you all enough for the replies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There should be a Platoon leader and platoon sergeant with Squad leaders. What the fuck is Medium RP when you have MAJ and CPT running around frontlining. They should let the LT and PSG do their jobs. I understand the idea of leading from the front but Staff officers such as the CO and XO should not be anywhere near the fight.
    Last edited by Thestabman; 04-13-2022 at 11:39 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would really like to revert to the old ranking structure for the reasons mentioned by all the other posters.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thestabman View Post
    There should be a Platoon leader and platoon sergeant with Squad leaders. What the fuck is Medium RP when you have MAJ and CPT running around frontlining. They should let the LT and PSG do their jobs. I understand the idea of leading from the front but Staff officers such as the CO and XO should not be anywhere near the fight.
    Falklands war had a British lt. colonel killed in action because he was with the men at the front, it’s not unrealistic to have a major/LT. colonel on front line duty due to them still being on the front around the same time this game gets its aesthetic from.
    Synth Gaming

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with your assessment C4.