User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which deployment style appeals to you?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Single Mass Deployment

25 30.86%
  • Two Stage Deployment

21 25.93%
  • Duel Deployment

40 49.38%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Preferred style of deployment?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nowadays a duel deployment (especially when one launches earlier than another) usually just leads to a wipe for whatever squad is closer to the hive...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JJG View Post
    Nowadays a duel deployment (especially when one launches earlier than another) usually just leads to a wipe for whatever squad is closer to the hive...
    Similar to what you said but not a duel deployment. If you go for 2 stage YOU HAVE to launch as quick as you can. Otherwise benos if they catch onto the two deployments will shred the first drop leaving the second crippled and jeopardizing the entire OP. It�s just not worth it might as well drop as as benos cannot easily pick your asses off the ground.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like everyone dog pileing on the alamo every round. It feels weird and just like, not a thing reasonable people would actually do. Such a target for a CLF dude bro in the bushes with a AA missle, I mean, we've seen this shit plenty of times in Iraq, Afghanistan, hell even back in Nam'. Youre a massive fucking target bros. Dont put all your eggs in one basket.
    Chen "Disco" West, Proud recipient of the "Realest Nigga on the Bloc" Award.
    My Dossier, it's good. Trust me. Read it.
    Secondary Objective: Stay Safe, Stick Together, Kick the ass of anything that might need an ass kicking. If you find any booze bring it up to CIC for me please.
    Not everyone who lost their life on Space Nam' died there. Not everyone who came home from Space Nam' ever left there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish drop lockers would be available again, just shove a marine into a locker and deploy him from cargo. Even better now with the coordinate based system, just lase a spot behind enemy lines and drop down a fireteam to flank.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by juliansl View Post
    I wish drop lockers would be available again, just shove a marine into a locker and deploy him from cargo. Even better now with the coordinate based system, just lase a spot behind enemy lines and drop down a fireteam to flank.
    They should bring back drop pod like this. Single use, dropped via co-ords and more can be bought with points.

Use them for emergencies or a flank that gets all the marines killed

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No reason to stagger deployment at all. There's no anti-air threat nor is there any incentive to stagger a deployment of the Marines.

It might look stupid but stuffing the entire Marine force into the flying clown car is the best deployment strategy.
    This is war, survival is your responsibility
    Captain Alan Bentway
    Synthetic: Nicholas
    Hunter Kwei Ikthya-de

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only reason briefing exists is to delay deployment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelpoint View Post
    No reason to stagger deployment at all. There's no anti-air threat nor is there any incentive to stagger a deployment of the Marines.

It might look stupid but stuffing the entire Marine force into the flying clown car is the best deployment strategy.
    To be honest, there are a few incentives for "staggered deployment" and I say this with experience.

1: less chaos on the ship. It might seem like a good idea to cram 80 marines into a single dropship, but in my experience, it was often more trouble than it was worth, moreso now that the tank often gets crammed in with us. There is always, ALWAYS one asshole who goes around causing trouble, which ruffles some jimmies and causes pointless fights to break out. If a wanted marine is on the ship, you can bet it'll make things even more hectic when MPs are trying to force their way inside the ship, and a mini-riot often ensues. And the moment you hit the ground, it is always a mad, confusing dash off the ship, where people are bound to lose track of one another and get separated, by accident or on purpose.

2: Pacing. You really don't need to escalate the situation seconds into deployment, it just throws off the course of the round and everything turns into a shitstorm, moreso on maps like Prison or Red, where metarushes are very common because at least one squad rapidly pushes towards xeno turf while everyone else is still setting up, which may cause captains/commanders to make rash decisions in desperation to keep the situation under control. Having your DEFENSIVE squads drop first to set the field and secure the surrounding area, then your recon squads/tank deploy shortly after (normally seconds upon the transport returning) to move in and escalate combat ensures a steadier pace that is more manageable.

A real live example of this is during a round of prison where I employed two-stage deployment, where alpha and bravo deployed to secure the ground, and charlie and delta deployed to begin their engagement with the enemy. HOWEVER, the xenos happened to set up in High Security, resulting in both bravo and alpha being engaged and having to take up defensive positions. They kept them busy and at bay defending the north while delta and charlie resumed their normal patrol before moving clockwise up to Max Security, where they ended up catching the xenos by surprise and pincering them to death.

Had I deployed everyone at once and that same situation happened, chances are it would play out very differently, and may have resulted in a lot more friendly fire due to natural marine bloodlust.

3: it just makes sense? D-day didn't involve a single boat hauling 200,000 men onto the beach, but rather several waves of transports dropping off several dozen men at a time, a lot of those same men being slaughtered on the very boats they arrived in. Because they came in waves, it put more pressure on the German defense and eventually overwhelmed them as squads would breach through the defenses. If they only had to focus on a single point on the beach, a single ship... The future would be an awfully different place right now.

Say what you will about CM and how it isn't an accurate military sim, but there are some things that just seem more logical compared to the nonsense I often endure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like staggered with both first wave squads sheltering in place/securing the LZ until the second wave drops. This reduces the chaos of a single-wave deployment while not tying up the CAS ship for too long.