0 Thread(s)

teafortwo - Commanding Officer Application

Commanding Officer Whitelist Application
    Personal Information

Byond ID?
    teafortwo

Player Name You Use Most?
    Finnian Cottier/Tomlin

Make a list of links to all of your ban appeals as well as whitelist and staff applications (both accepted and denied) submitted within the past year. For appeals, provide an additional ban reason and the appeal’s verdict next to the link.
    N/A

Have you received any bans in the last month?
    No

What is your timezone in UTC?
    EST-05

What is your discord username and handle?
    teafortwo

Basic Questions & Story

What do you think is the job of a Commander?
    In-character: to enable the marines to complete their mission through direction, communication, and support familiarity; to enable the departments of the USS Almayer to assist the marines in their mission.

Out-of-character: to keep the round dynamic for marines and Almayer staff alike.

Why do you want to be a Commanding Officer?
    NB: I've been a CO for a long, long time and lost the WL due to purge while I was away from SS13 -- busy IRL with being a graduate student. So the direct answer is I'm just hoping I can get the WL back.

Generally because I appreciate the skillset and position of the CO and their unique ability to contribute to a round's flow.

Provide a short story of your Commanding Officer.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

As an amusing note, the last I applied to CO there was no story requirement.

Experience

How familiar are you with command positions?
    Extremely familiar. I think I've been CO since 2017? 2018?

Approximately how many hours do you have as Executive Officer (XO) at the time of writing this application?
    N/A. I've played CO extensively for approximately forever.

How familiar are you with Department Head positions?
    I'm familiar with all roles and their mechanics, though virtually all my Dept Head playtime was pre-timelock. I nonetheless know all the roles aboard the Almayer due to regularly playing synth and can in theory hop comfortably into any of them.

How familiar are you with Marine Law and Standard Operating Procedure?
    I refamiliarized myself with ML and SOP recently due to some in-game drama.

Scenarios

When do you believe a Battlefield Execution should be used?
    In my CO history I've only used BEs in the event of an imminent threat to the operation that cannot be handled by MPs in an efficient and effective manner. Classic examples include the CL kidnapping marines and infecting them.

I'm aware that the general allowances for BEs are wider (such as e.g. severe insub) but my personal experience with 3-4 years of CO is this is almost never a big deal, and mutinies are fairly rare (as a player, I feel that there's little point BEing after a mutiny anyways; mutinies usually happen as a result of events and when they don't, the operation is over at that point).

Other examples of times I've BE'd people: when they were attacking ship personnel or synthetics who were at the time performing life-saving operations, when no MPs were awake to deal with a capital-level criminal, etc.

Under what circumstances do you believe it is legal to pardon a prisoner?
    Only when the crime is below a capital-level offense and when in the best interests of the operation. Speaking generally I have pardoned as a CO in the past for personnel people jailed over spurious readings of Marine Law (as is, written by gamers and so not airtight enough to prevent abuse), for essential personnel (such as our only surgeon) being jailed who were needed, and for non-capital crimes where the victim fully forgives the aggressor.

I have declined to give pardons to marines who were being troublemakers to the detriment of others.

Confirmations

Have you read the Code of Conduct?
    Yes

Have you read the application process page?
    Yes

Do you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

Do you understand you cannot advertise or promote this application on any platform, including Discord?
    Yes

Do you also understand that you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes
    Last edited by teafortwo; 01-10-2022 at 10:14 PM.

Senior Admin & Whitelist Overseer Fortelian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not enough XO hours, gonna have to vote no.

Just kidding, this is Finnian Cottier, he's literally a better CO than basically everyone else in the whitelist right now, it's the man himself. To -1 this man would quite literally be griefing the server as a whole.

Easy +100, will be glad to see another one of the good ones back.
    Salvador Kepplinger - President of Andorra
    LOV3 - The friendly Bean.
    Senior mentor

Medals:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yooo you're that synth I saw yesterday.
    I kinda like you and you were one of the original CO.
    I'm an absolute no-name so I don't think anyone would remember me but you are good at what you do and I hope to see you succeed.
    +1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen you play Squad roles in-game, but can't quite recall seeing you in CiC. When was the last time you played XO, and how many hours of combined CiC hours (SO, XO, aCO) have you accumulated since you got purged from the Whitelist?
    Synthetic Unit 'Amber'.

Major Misti Rockwell, USS Yokosuka, 2nd Division, 2nd Battlegroup, 3rd Fleet.

Trial Moderator: 7th November 2021 - 21st November 2021
    Moderator: 21st November 2021 - 17th January 2022
    Senior Moderator: 17th January 2022 - 2nd of June 2022

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I played XO yesterday, and one round every day or two days before that. I don't think you've seen me play a squad role since I've only played XO and synth so far since I've returned. I don't think I have many hours in the game since I was purged, much less as XO. I was informed on Discord that this wouldn't be an issue. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Last edited by teafortwo; 01-12-2022 at 05:41 AM.

Synthetic Council Member QuickLoad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoyed several operations with Finnian Cottier as my XO, and Tomlin is certainly a reputable synth.
    Not once did I feel like this player would need my oversight - which is a signal to me that they are ready for commanding officer. They had sound tactics, were responsive and did an exceptional job at coordinating forces both in conjunction with myself and on their own. +1

I only have a singular gripe among all of the rounds, and that's if you're the commander of the ship, do NOT do appeals(especially lengthy ones) yourself because the operation's integrity is always #1. Instead, delegate it to a reputable person instead.(You have 10 minutes to decide, 30 for perma, so no rush.) You are one of few people who know exactly where the majority of forces are, what they're doing and what they're facing. Taking you, the commander, away from the chair without a solid replacement is a significant hinderance to the Marine team. It will always be a lapse of overwatch/communication(even if for 30 seconds) where xenos can do serious damage with a coordinated flank or push.

Solid applicant, good luck on your app.
    Last edited by QuickLoad; 01-12-2022 at 09:17 AM. Reason: t

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by teafortwo View Post
    I played XO yesterday, and one round every day or two days before that. I don't think you've seen me play a squad role since I've only played XO and synth so far since I've returned. I don't think I have many hours in the game since I was purged, much less as XO. I was informed on Discord that this wouldn't be an issue. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I'm not sure who told you that not playing XO would be a "non-issue", but it'd be a huge double-standard. Returning COs are expected to show they understand current guidelines and standards, and gameplay. I trust you that you are playing XO as you said, but I have yet to see you do so myself, so I'm withholding until I happen to catch you around and witness a few rounds. Keep playing XO though while this is up, Council doesn't really give back CO because "he's one of the OGs".
    Synthetic Unit 'Amber'.

Major Misti Rockwell, USS Yokosuka, 2nd Division, 2nd Battlegroup, 3rd Fleet.

Trial Moderator: 7th November 2021 - 21st November 2021
    Moderator: 21st November 2021 - 17th January 2022
    Senior Moderator: 17th January 2022 - 2nd of June 2022

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 deserves it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen Finnian play XO sometimes in the past couple of months and even before he took time off from CM to deal with his irl matters, I have to say that Finnian is one of the most impressive people I've seen in command before.

He keeps a leveled head through any sudden situation, making great responsive orders as well as admirable communication from the ground to the top. His RP fits very well and is in tune with command, as well as leaving an impression to remember, even if you've never met the guy before.

He has a massive amount of commanding experience and I believe he still retains excellent qualities that would be great to have back in our rounds as CO again! Big +1 from me! Key takeout from it all is to remember to put in an adequate amount of time into XO, SL, and SO to ensure that others that want to vote can get an accurate reading on you! Otherwise, I look forward to seeing how your application turn it!
    Major Amber Walsh, Exceptional Leader

Spoiler Spoiler:

Za'Kul, Foolish Hunter
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen Finnian Cottier as XO multiple times, was a SO under him once. He remains professional, level headed and the way he went about things I felt like he knew what he was doing and should eventually apply for CO, though I see now that he use to be a CO so it makes sense. +1