User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Low-Pop Sucks: An examination of the factors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Low-Pop Sucks: An examination of the factors.

Hey, yo, it's your boy.

I'm sure you've all experienced rounds where the manifest looks something like this:
    lowpop moment.jpg

No command, squads are threadbare, and, for the record, the support structure looks something like this:
    lowpop moment 2.jpg

Meanwhile, the hive is 13 strong, and utterly dominating.

I'll be separating this thread into three parts:
    1. The inherent advantage Xenomorphs have vs Marines in a 1v1 scenario
    2. The mechanical ways that Marines are disadvantaged in lowpop beyond just numbers
    3. What could be done about it.

So, lets get on with it.

Part 1: 'You shouldn't be able to 1v1 a drone, dude'
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Part 2: 'Well, we have to think about Xeno's side too!'
    Spoiler Spoiler:

So, to summaries the above:

1. Marines are worse than xenos by design, with the intent that numbers make up for it. This makes them inherently disadvantaged at low-pop hours.
    2. There are mechanics in place that make marines even worse based on pop-scaling.

This last section is the big one, and is going to be pretty small, so, I don't think it needs the spoiler.

Part 3: 'Devs pls fix my ideas are best'

The way I see it, the first step to fixing the lowpop disparity is easy.

Remove the mechanical marine-worseners. I brought this up at the recent townhall, and was told Larva-scaling is getting a workover, so, and I'm not going to hold my breath in this thread for the spec-slots even if I think there should always be 4 specs and 4 SGs

So my main plea here is this:
    Make a minimum amount of Req supply and Req Metal.
    Make the roundstart metal in Req based on map and not on population. Req should start with the amount of supplies needed to make a basic ass, 'Dev-intended' FOB, one that can keep lurkers out at the very least and cover all the flanks of it.

Maps don't scale to population, so the amount of mats needed to secure an LZ don't either. This should be reflected in the supplies.

I've been drinking margaritas while writing this, and I'm pretty toasted at this point, so I don't really know how to finish this post.

here's a picture of my favorite twitch emote.
    A lonesome cowboy, a chilled out broski, or an executive intern.

The Medals Folder:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scout sucks ass. No scout is a beast just use it’s instant lase and cloak to do shit46691C1C-4CD5-466A-9F24-B81A8FB685C5.jpg24C2C0F9-080F-4DF8-A244-451861D5FF23.jpgFBD9756C-FF3A-4A3F-BDED-0D4AA55D0595.jpg
    Drake Manwell the Trying Marine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good points otherwise though, also using a phone is cancer when on the forum so cheers
    Drake Manwell the Trying Marine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scout is pretty hard to master reliably killing resting wounded xenos and not dying right now. You know the whole players with good contrast monitors and see through walls thing.
    And there is straight up a role who's primary purpose is Jtacing, that is called RTO.

As a player that figured out how to be good as the current scout I can say that it currently has a learning curve that would put Dark Souls at shame. And even once you do learn it you need things to align for you to be able to be as useful as other specs, if you want to do Jtacing then xenos have to not be in caves, which 90% of the time they are.
    If you want to get rescues or kills then there has to be not a single drone that has the brains to counter scout by building walls and doors.
    You need to have the front be away from FOB so you can actually move in and out without instantly getting spotted.
    You need the xenos not have a player that has such a good monitor like LIE tasked to hunt you, who can spot you while standing still on a good for blending in tile.
    Inventor of the now forbidden flying hugger style.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love lowpop, and I'll say you are just waiting for the main characters to arrive instead of stepping into that role yourself and creating a reputation, lowpop is the best time to make friends, form bonds, learn skills, and maybe even at certain points depends how well you all work together, change the flow of the battle and win, lowpop is the time to shine really, go chat with some other person who you'll be fighting and dying with.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    who get's 1v1'd by a drone
    lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ASTRO SPIN AXES View Post
    who get's 1v1'd by a drone
    lol
    I'm not saying you typically get 1v1d by a drone, it's that devs intend for you to lose 1v1 to a drone.
    A lonesome cowboy, a chilled out broski, or an executive intern.

The Medals Folder:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Whitelisted Predator ChainsawMullet's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lowpop marine is more fun than highpop marine, to me.

Less allies shooting you, more meaning when you win, odds being stacked against you makes it legitimately tense and makes you really feel like every marine counts.

Meanwhile on highpop it's a faceless blob lagging the server and everyone is completely replaceable via latejoins.

The reasons you give for lowpop sucking are all reasons why I personally prefer it to highpop when playing marine.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Low pop marine feels better than sex!!! ( i'd know ) you get to blast xenos to death and it feels fucking awesome

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Low pop is get flanked because the aCO doesn't have enough helmets to watch for a flank or enough time to swap between all of the helmets on his own, then lose because the queen walked behind you and screeched.
    Synth Gaming