Ridgewell (Ghost)
    Their BYOND Key
    ito726
    Approximate time and date of the incident
    9:30 PM
    Which Staff Protocols (//showthrea...-and-Protocols) were broken
    Preserve the RP and enjoyment of the server
    Description of the incident
    To put it simply, I believe that the "caracal cult" event that was occuring on the ERT station was frivolous and breaks the "maintain rp and enjoyment" rule outlined in staff RoC.

The addition of the caracals was initially very benign as it was in the ERT station where a bunch of survivors were given caracals to fool around with. However, as more caracals were added and colour-coded, they soon made their way on the Almayer during Hijack.

The caracals wandered around the Almayer and as a process, kept making LRP comments and spamming "KILL" around xenos and marines during the fight. At several points during the round, caracals had actively blocked players from fighting each other, and undermined other player interactions ICly by the aforementioned spam and LRP. I think that's not very fun if it's intruding on other people's fights during a tense moment in Hijack when there's a fleet of caracals spamming dumb shit and blocking people.

Given that ito was the one to spawn and guide them to the shuttle for their deployment, and with the introduction of the events channel to help promote healthy and effective event-organizing, I think that this event was inappropriate for a manager to be hosting in the 1st-place and letting it go too far.
    Evidence
    Images posted in #events, also chatlogs.
    What resolution are you seeking?
    Appropriate punishment for ito for mishandling an event that broke Staff Protocol.
    Last edited by optimisticdude; 01-25-2022 at 06:22 AM.

Synthetic Council Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll pull logs
    Phillip Clap and Esther

Synthetic Technician

Senior Administrator and Mentor Overseer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That description is not very accurate. 2 somewhat uncommon/exotic (2000$-3000$) pet floppas were sent to the Almayer as a minor event, (technically a non-event + fax-event, initially). 1 was somewhat altered its color to something that still looked natural to be able to distinguish the 2 more easily. A fax was sent putting them in the care of the CL as a favor for a WY director. I forgot the exact fluff I used, I think it was their daughter's pets and they were going on vacation or something, but I don't think anyone read the fax as the CL seemed very new to their role and not even multiple SMs were noticed, and if they ever replied I missed it. Given this and to not keep the players locked up unnecessarily, I broke them out and let them loose, given the manner I did this, it clearly becomes a minor event at this point. Naturally, if something were to happen to them there would be some consequences, which is what usually happens sooner or later with such events. Some RP happens in the meantime, the CL gets quite protective of them, for whatever reason.

To include more players in the event, I decided to add an explicit antag element to this, so I spawn in 2 kidnappers, with the objectives to ransom the pets, something in line with the events so far. I also permit them to use a screwdriver to blind someone, if they need to, even premtevly, in favor of giving them other non-lethal gear as the floppas were rarely alone. I don't think they used this on anyone other than themselves, but I'm not sure as an ml ahelp came up that I felt required most of my attention for a good part of the rest of the round (the ahelp had no relation to the event). The kidnappers succeed and evac with the floppas, and somehow the floppas convince them to turn on each other on the ERT station. Given this I decided to reward the winner (and the other 2 flopps for managing to actually get someone killed as simple mobs who no one could understand) by turning the winner into a 3rd floppa and gave them a different tint, still quite natural-looking, to play around with the other 2.

This is roughly at hijack. The 3 floppas decide they want to head back to the Almayer, and I saw no issue in them dying there if they so wished to, as literally, anyone could quite easily kill them. The floppas for whatever reason decided to bring along some body parts from their 'kill' as trophies or to spook the marines, I forget which, to which the xenos reacted to it as ohh friends. Floppas played along and made their way to the queen after some time, I gave the queen the ability to understand them too, something I've only given the kidnappers in the ert station previously. I do not think it had a meaningful impact on hijack, beyond xenos going 'ohh shiny', rather than just killing them. I didn't expect that no one would kill them, but no one did for once.

Was one of the floppas a somewhat lrp, probably, tho it did turn towards a good cat bad cat kinda RP as time went on, rather than it being so from the get-go, and after I brought back one of the kidnappers as a 3rd floppa they really went with it. (this happened on the ert station, the intent was to let the winner have something nice and rp with the other 2 floppas). That being said no one but the main people interacting with them, and even then, not all, could understand them, so tbh I can't say I really cared too much about what they were saying, and talking about going killing seemed quite appropriate for xeno rp, given that they kinda sided with them at the end. That said the only direct influence they had was to drag a few bodies a few tiles and maybe tank a stray bullet, as they were simple mobs after all.

Would having players with a WL or some other form of significant vetting made for less LRP, sure, at the same time, I really didn't, and tbh don't see a need to have such restrictions on who may participate in such an event/role (I got players who happened to be on VC the time and Dchat). I also don't find it too odd for a WY Director to have exotic pets, and leaving pets in the CL's care events were run before a few times, tho I think normal cat sprites were used in those instances. It was also said i gave them all access, but they had literally 0 access, beyond the doors I opened/removed for them.

And given that part of the reason for this report is to affect policy, I find it a bit hard to reconcile 2 main schools of thought behind running events, that of letting people do what they want and having events organic VS telling them how you must RP things. Namely, if the player wanted to be psychopathic as the floppa, how far should the event accommodate that?
    Last edited by ito726; 01-25-2022 at 09:17 AM.
    Trial Moderator: 2021-06-13 --- 2021-07-04
    Moderator: 2021-07-04 --- 2021-10-02
    Investigator: 2021-07-21 --- xxxx-xx-xx
    Trainer: 2021-08-20 --- xxxx-xx-xx
    Discord Staff: 2021-09-20 --- xxxx-xx-xx
    Senior Moderator: 2021-10-02 --- xxxx-xx-xx

Synthetic Council Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'd only need to look at the chatlogs for the players representing these caracals to show how horribly unsupervised and disruptive they are, and how little care was put in for ensuring what they could be saying or doing. Search "KILL" in the chatlogs, and then search the players involved and what they collectively said throughout the time they were caracals. This greatly contradicts what you may claim as "acceptable" within the confines of what you call "somewhat LRP". A "good cat bad cat" routine is irrelevant if all they can say is "KILL", and drag survivor limbs and heads as shown in the photos that I took during this ordeal, after all.

I also think that the response doesn't address the elephant in the room: you broke staff protocol by organizing and providing tools for an event that was LRP, disruptive, and self-centered towards the caracal players. At many points, the caracals disrupted RP interactions between xenos and marines, to the point where fights were actively stalled to remark about the caracals in an unproductive matter; keep in mind that this was during Hijack you admit; one of the most tense moments for the marines on the backfoot in a round. Comedic relief isn't necessary for any moment like that.

I also think that your concluding statement tries to attack my alleged philosophies for RP? No? I just think staff shouldn't host LRP events and let them be invasive to the players if the server is advertised and moderated at a MRP standard. Nobody cares about the caracals in the ERT station, that's just benign tomfoolery. But it stops being tomfoolery, or a "minor event", when they interrupt actual gameplay so people are forced to validate their existence and get nothing meaningful in return.

Quite simply, you should be held accountable for being irresponsible with your powers related with your responsibility as an admin. There is no way to downplay the severity of the annoyance created, for the problem is that it happened anyways under your guidance.
    Last edited by optimisticdude; 01-25-2022 at 04:43 PM.

Manager Emeritus & System Administrator
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you were not in the round, this report is denied due to Staff Report Rule 7. You may not make an report for another player.

Furthermore, the date provided for this report is invalid.
    TrialModerator from 12/15/2018 to 12/29/2018
    Moderator from 12/29/2018 to 6/29/2019
    TrialAdmin from 6/29/2019 to 7/29/2019
    Admin from 7/29/2019 to 6/17/2021
    Manager from 6/17/2021 to ???
    ManagerEmeritus from ??? to ???