Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Become a Synthetic

Synthetic Council Member Jakkkk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to Become a Synthetic

Hey, I'm Jakkkk, and I play a rather well known synth called Mortimer, another lesser known synth called Dale, and I've also been on the Synthetic Council for two terms. I've always been fascinated with the idea of artificial conscience. Are they really alive? If you programmed a robot to feel things, would what they are feeling even be real? It interests me as a subject, but this guide isn't about how I think about stuff. Well it is but, it's based more on helpful tips than opinions.

I find it odd how synthetic isn't really a whitelist being sought out. Out of the three available whitelists, synthetic has the lowest application rates. I can understand if you find it to be boring to be doing surgery or fixing stuff, while you'd rather much be shooting and chewing grenades like gum, but being the ultimate support role is very enjoyable to me and many other synthetic players. I find satisfaction in knowing during a lowpop round, if I join as a synthetic and greet everyone over general comms, they realize that they have a jack of all trades at their disposal to fix up the FOB, repair the unkempt reactors, or go into medbay and help Doctor Baldy.

If you are interested in applying for a synthetic character, then I hope this guide will help you out.

STEP 1: Familiarity.

Before you even think of the kind of synthetic you'll want to play, you NEED to become familiar with all the support roles available, as well as the maps (Running evacuations from the frontlines to the FOB is a thing I see often, if you don't know your way around that's not good). Medical, engineering, piloting, requisitions, and being an overwatch all the duties of a synthetic, so you need to become a GOD at those roles (Really only medical and engineering, the other ones aren't entirely hard). If you haven't touched medical at all and it's the scariest thing out there, fear not, you can learn it at a pretty simple rate. The way I recommend to learn medical in order of pressure is as follows:

Researcher - Doctor - Squad Medic - CMO

I would personally say the most important role for you to know like the back of your hand is medical, as engineering and the other roles are rather self explanatory and have in-game guides, medical does not. Being caught as a synthetic and not knowing how to fix heavy brain damage is a very very bad situation to be in, so learning medical would be your top priority.

Forum activity doesn't matter as much, but the more posts you have the more it shows you're willing to be involved in this community. During this time as playing all your support roles, you'll be noticed for playing them, and as a byproduct you'll gain some new friends. Good for you. You're going to want popular players as your friends because no one can attest to your support capabilities besides yourself and your friends. If you're amazing at support but you're a nameless, faceless person, I'm sorry but I can't tell how good you are at support from an application.

STEP 2: Brainstorming

Now that you've become an absolute master at the support roles, you need to think of a character, dummy.

I don't have an issue with a synthetic using a quirk that has been done before, there's only so many quirks you can have in a synthetic whitelist until they start repeating each other. However, I highly suggest creating your own, unique personality as a synthetic. Synths aren't supposed to be robotic, quiet, "Seen and not heard" sort of players (Unless that IS your quirk, of course.). A synth should provide players with interesting dialogue and RP, so getting a quirk that has you interact with other people in a different way is appreciated by everyone. Maybe your synthetic likes to talk about science, maybe your synthetic has a tendency to try and keep everything neat and tidy, maybe your synthetic is fascinated by human actions and asks questions like "How does tasting feel?" or "What do dreams feel like?"

Some synthetic's quirks are an archetype. Mortimer is a butler, Goldman is a safety guy, Duke is a stereotypical red blooded American, and Bennett is a history teacher guy. These are fine, but PLEASE do not base a quirk off of a race or a gimmick. A gimmick is there for comic relief, while a quirk is essentially a personality.

Don't forget there's a whitelist application help section in the discord, feel free to tag the Synthetic Council and have us read over your application before you submit it.

Now onto the background section, I have a few musts with these when I review synthetic applications.

1. Has clear dialogue between the synthetic and other characters.
    2. Shows how the synthetic reacts to situations.
    3. Shows their personality.
    4. A story that isn't boring. Could be the classic CLF invasion of the Almayer deal, or meeting an alien. As long as it isn't "and then he fixed the power and then he splinted the mans chest and then he went home".

The following is the name of all current synths and their players:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

STEP 3: Applying

Great, now you've got step 1 and 2 done, now all you have to do is write up that application, and hit that post button.

Remember those friends I mentioned earlier with the support roles? They'll come in handy now, the more you interact with other players and give them a positive experience, the more people will +1 your application because they KNOW that you will be the best goddamn synth you can be.

Well, that's all there is to it. Once you get your synthetic whitelist, here's my tip about a controversial subject.

>Try to interact with xenos in a positive light, or just ignore them entirely. If you have a machete and see Young Drone (437) waddling around, just wave to him and keep on building barricades or treating that marine. Contrary to popular belief, I'd say about 60% of the time when I try to RP with a xeno, they RP back. However, choosing to DEFEND a xeno from marines is something you should not do at all. You're just being polite to avoid hostilities, you don't actually care of the wellbeing of the enemy.
    Last edited by Jakkkk; 12-15-2019 at 02:28 AM.
    Synthetic Senator

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    u dead named me....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must apply for synth and name it Mortimar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a new player who really likes the support side of this more so than combat, this guide is nice and helpful! Thank you for posting it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must apply for synth and name it mortimor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must apply for a synth and name it mortimir

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must apply for a synth and name it Mortimur

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deciding Whether i join or not, still getting a gist on medical, and im enjoying it.....hmmm, ill decide soon.

Thanks for this post! it will surely help in the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must apply for a synth and name it Mortimur

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    can you write a guide on how to be dewhitelisted as pred