0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UntoldTactics - Synthetic Application

Synthetic Whitelist Application
    Byond ID?
    UntoldTactics

Marine Name
    Jasmine 'Unstable' Rose, I also play Xenomorph quite a bit.

Name/Designation of the Synth Character you wish to play
    Ian

Are you familiar with the Synthetic Programming and Guidelines?
    Yes. I have thoroughly read through them.

Synthetic Character Story
    �
    �
    System online.

Ian stepped out of his cyrostasis pod, taking a look around the small room as he booted up, dust settled on the lone maintenance desk.

Ian went over to grab his equipment, grabbing a construction pouch, medical pouch, toolbelt and other knits and knacks for later use.

After walking into the CiC, Ian was greeted by the Captain. He was drinking some sort of black mess that the humans called coffee, which according to scientific data gave energy to them, but had side effects and some sort of �withdrawal� when not drank enough. Ian would of tried to drink some of said coffee, if he could.

�Ah, hello Ian� The Captain spoke, after taking a gulp of their coffee.
    �God, coffee keeps me alive throughout the day, without it i�d be asleep like a rock!� The Captain exclaimed, appearing to be funny as some of the Staff Officers proceeded with half-hearted laughs.

�Hello, sir. What is required of me today?�

The Captain nodded and took out a clipboard.
    �Looks like the Tankers actually woke up today, mind fixing that tank? The CLF managed to nade it a ton last operation�

Ian responded.
    �Of course sir�

(LINK TO FULL STORY)
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

How do you intend to play your Synth?
    I intend to play my synth as a attempt and fail personality. The subject being human emotions, Ian will regularly ask and attempt to emulate more advanced human emotions such as love. As well as the more base emotions, attempting to, but failing very badly at experiencing/emulating these emotions, this will usually happen when he gets the wrong idea of an emotion, such as shown in my story. The key part being he will somehow fail at doing so, no matter how good an explanation is given on emotions.

How familiar are you with support roles? (ie; Medical, MT, Science, SO)
    Well, to keep this simple. I have played every single support role and marine role except for the white listed ones, and XO.

Medically I have mastered all aspects except chemistry, which I do need the chem guide for, but otherwise I have memorized all surgeries in my head, and I know how to deal with basically all marine injuries and the stress levels/multitasking needed to deal with the many injuries that occur in the front line battles.

With engineering, I have been an engineer many times, and have played MT and CE a bit. I know all the basics of construction, and can make FOBs and other structures easily. I can repair broken APCs without the need of a guide, and can deal with other issues in terms of engineering with ease, I know how to repair and fix power on both colony and ship should the need arise.

Requisitions, I have played both RO and CT before quite a bit, I understand and know the basics of it, and can manage supply point usage a well amount. I also currently have a way to sort out all the stuff the ASRS system currently spews out, and to sort and prepare crates for marines on the ground.

With the OW console and command duties, I have a full understanding of how all the functions are done, launching OBs/supply drops, changing squad leaders, sending messages to entire squads etc, I also have knowledge of the primary communications console and each of the functions, enabling DEFCON assets, evac/distress and the uses of the tactical map.

I have not played PO that much, but I do know all the basics of CAS, not that i'll be touching it at all, and how to fully use the flight console to lockdown doors and other such things, I do not have knowledge of the fire mission flight mode but I doubt that for a synthetic, I will need to know such.

Why should we whitelist you?
    Well, to simply put it I wish to play synthetic, I find it a role with amazing roleplay and gameplay potential, and would love to be apart of the synthetic whitelisted people, the idea of a synthetic and the fact they can do all support roles is quite enticing to me, and would allow me to help in the game in a much higher aspect then just one specialized role would.

Have you been banned from CM in the last month for any reason?
    No, I have not.

Are you currently banned from any other servers and if so, why?
    No, I am not.

Do you understand that any player - donor or otherwise - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our rules or the Synthetic Programming Guideline?
    Yes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The story turned me off right from the get go. Grammar errors aside, this excerpt caught my eye straight away:

After walking into the CiC, Ian was greeted by the Captain. He was drinking some sort of black mess that the humans called coffee, which according to scientific data gave energy to them, but had side effects and some sort of �withdrawal� when not drank enough. Ian would of tried to drink some of said coffee, if he could.
    This reads more like a Predator app than a synth app. Given that this is written from your synth's POV, why does Ian not know what coffee is? Synthetics are not blank slates that have to learn every little detail about humanity as if they're some kind of alien -- they know perfectly well what everyday concepts are.

The whole 'misunderstanding emotions' thing is also something I think you're taking way too far. Synthetics are not stupid and I couldn't really see it going down as described in your story without it just being seen as a flat out malfunction.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the quirk is too much of a gimmick, and won't work.
    Plus the story itself seemed kinda stale like your synthetic was a 3 year old with learning of his emotions.

I'm not really feeling this one
    Neutral pending more feedback.
    Last edited by ThesoldierLLJK; 02-21-2019 at 07:05 PM.

Synthetic Council Member Jakkkk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like this application and quirk.

A newborn synthetic that hasn't been programmed with social graces or shit like that is an entertaining RP opportunity. I think the whole coffee monologue is a commentary on the substance rather than not knowing what it is or what it does. Why he wrote that, I don't know, maybe to show how detached Ian is from the rest of the crew?

There are minor grammatical errors, but I'm willing to give this application a chance because sometimes it's okay to have a quirk that can be funny or entertaining.

+1.
    Synthetic Senator

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do you want to be a synth?

A Staff Officer gives you an order to arrest a marine for punching him in the face, what do you do?
    Max Judge, the 45 year old slightly fat man with an unfitting action hero name.

Fred, the worrisome synth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Omicega View Post
    The story turned me off right from the get go. Grammar errors aside, this excerpt caught my eye straight away:

This reads more like a Predator app than a synth app. Given that this is written from your synth's POV, why does Ian not know what coffee is? Synthetics are not blank slates that have to learn every little detail about humanity as if they're some kind of alien -- they know perfectly well what everyday concepts are.

The whole 'misunderstanding emotions' thing is also something I think you're taking way too far. Synthetics are not stupid and I couldn't really see it going down as described in your story without it just being seen as a flat out malfunction.
    I am not the best at storys, I know synthetics are incredibly intelligent and the story itself may be somewhat exaggerated to show that the idea I have for my synthetic as one with basic data on emotions of humans, and thus must learn the definitions of some emotions every round, which I believe would give a unique roleplay experience for every person the synthetic interacts with. Just because Ian does not know most data on emotions unlike other synthetics due to his quirk, I believe that it should work out quite fine if roleplayed correctly. As with the coffee, it was meant to show how Ian is a synthetic and not a human, and how there is a massive gap between synthetics social and emotional abilities compared to humans, coffee can be considered a social tool and not just a drink, people bond over the stuff, and it was to further show Ian's lack of emotional understanding, and the gap between synthetics and human in a more metaphorical way. Which is why I explained it as how I did. But thank you for the feedback.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4000daniel1 View Post
    Why do you want to be a synth?

A Staff Officer gives you an order to arrest a marine for punching him in the face, what do you do?
    Well, I want to be a synthetic because I want to be one, to put it simple. I enjoy the concept of a synthetic, and I feel like its a role I could do and enjoy. Most support roles are only interesting for a certain period of the round, before they go incredibly repetitive. A synthetic however is good at all things and can rapidly switch between jobs without issue.

Well, as a synthetic I should not go out of my way to enforce marine law, and should only do so if a breaking of marine law poses direct threat to me the synthetic or a marine/crewmember of the almayer. I should leave this task to any MP personal awake, if none are awake then there is also no use in arresting them, as there is likely no one to process them anyway. In most events I would simply inform the MPs of this, as that is their job.
    Last edited by UntoldTactics; 02-21-2019 at 09:43 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im going to remain neutral, Ill edit this post later for my final decision. Over all everything is decent and I cant Hark at stories as I suck at them aswell. Its not the best but I want to see how the council responds.
    Kaitlynn Lawson The Captain: https://cm-ss13.com/old/viewtopic.php?f=142&t=18802
    Alicia The Motherly Synthetic: https://cm-ss13.com/viewtopic.php?f=149&t=17406
    Ja'akir Aki The Messenger of the Gods: //showthrea...or-Application
    Staff history:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the main thing that throws me off with the story is the fact it's written from the synths POV, aswell as the grammar errors. Despite that, I feel it demonstrates your quirk well and has a pretty damn funny ending. Personally I think the quirk is interesting and that it does it's job in the sense that it will lead to unique interactions with others. Your answers are also alright.

1+ I think you should get a chance on this one.
    Max Judge, the 45 year old slightly fat man with an unfitting action hero name.

Fred, the worrisome synth.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good roleplayer. +1