0 Thread(s)

johnravioli - Commanding Officer Application

Commanding Officer Whitelist Application
    Personal Information

Byond ID?
    johnravioli

Player Name You Use Most?
    Harry Howard

Make a list of links to all of your ban appeals as well as whitelist and staff applications (both accepted and denied) submitted within the past year. For appeals, provide an additional ban reason and the appeal’s verdict next to the link.
    //showthrea...ja-Application | First predator application - WITHDRAWN

//showthrea...ja-Application | Second predator application - DENIED

//showthrea...ja-Application | Third predator application - DENIED

//showthrea...ja-Application | Fourth predator application - ACCEPTED

//showthrea...-(Discord-Ban) | Banned for not listening to staff after posting gifs that harassed other members (they did allow me to post them, but it still stands) - DENIED

//showthrea...-(Discord-Ban) | Second discord ban appeal, me and Silencer talked it out in DMs about a month before and it was accepted. - ACCEPTED

Have you received any bans in the last month?
    No

What is your timezone in UTC?
    UTC+05 (Eastern Standard Time)

What is your discord username and handle?
    john ravioli#4574

Basic Questions & Story

What do you think is the job of a Commander?
    I believe the job of the CO is to lead and wrangle at most, 100+ marines. The ability to command a successful operation, hold the briefing, and also supply a fun experience for either side. With the addition of holding the force together and maintaining order in situations where shit might hit the fan.

Out of character, I full heartedly believe that it's there to help make the game more enjoyable, for both sides.

Why do you want to be a Commanding Officer?
    I would like to be a Commanding Officer to make an enjoyable experience for everyone, even the players on the other side. I actually enjoy playing CiC roles and wish to advance just a little bit further. I also just want to help others, and sometimes starting command players get a good feel for the job, and help them become great leaders in the future.

Provide a short story of your Commanding Officer.
    A 4 page story written like a action movie epic involving Captain Harry Howard's battle against a UPP battlecruiser carrying some illegal WMDs, and how this led to his promotion to Major.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Experience

How familiar are you with command positions?
    I am very familiar with the command positions, and I have knowledge and experience in the other command / department heads.

Approximately how many hours do you have as Executive Officer (XO) at the time of writing this application?
    Now that might not seem like a lot but I'm taking a shot at this in a instant. I love playing command roles now and I can show that I have the knowledge AND experience.

Here's my times.

https://i.imgur.com/IfWdMr1.png

How familiar are you with Department Head positions?
    I'm very familiar with all of the department head positions as I have practically played all of the departments and learnt how they worked.

How familiar are you with Marine Law and Standard Operating Procedure?
    Well versed. I had to study that stuff religiously when I played only MP, and memorized quite a good bit of it. Especially Standard Operating Procedure.

Scenarios

When do you believe a Battlefield Execution should be used?
    Honestly I believe it boils down to whether or not it’s a genuine threat on your life or command, or doing something against the ship on certain alerts. Other than that, I would just RP it out instead of game ending them with the barrel of a gun.

Scenario 1: A lone marine breaks into the CiC and attempts to gun me down while I am sitting in the CiC bubble. If they somehow didn’t kill me, I would BE them for straight up attempting to kill me. They were a threat to the ship’s command as a whole as well.

Scenario 2: It is reported to me by some shipside staff that the CL is bribing marines in secret to join him in mutinying against me. Eventually evidence is brought forward in the way of a recording of the CL admitting to it. I go to his office and confront him, and BE him for being a threat to my command and attempting a mutiny. I would let the MPs deal with the marines that were in on the mutiny, essentially I spare them from the bullet.

Under what circumstances do you believe it is legal to pardon a prisoner?
    It’s very legal to pardon people, as long as it isn’t a capital crime. Pardoning minor and major crimes are OKAY. I am probably not going to pardon anybody unless I genuinely have to. An example is someone who is actually important to the operation and not a mere, no-good marine.

Some people like Squad Specs, Smartgunners, and Squad Leaders who WE CANNOT REPLACE (except aSLs), are vital to the operation and of course I would lpardon them for minor crimes, and sometimes major.

Scenario 1: The only doctor shipside is brigged for a minor crime, and there are wounded and hugged marines awaiting treatment. I would pardon him in this situation too because he is actually a super vital person in the game.

Confirmations

Have you read the Code of Conduct?
    Yes

Have you read the application process page?
    Yes

Do you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

Do you understand you cannot advertise or promote this application on any platform, including Discord?
    Yes

Do you also understand that you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes

Whitelisted Predator johnravioli's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mondays through Thursdays, I won't be home until 6 PM EST, so I will only be able to play from about 6-12.

Fridays and the weekends is when I am able to play all the time.
    Harry Howard,
    Predator - Clan Leader Atuudh Bo'ytill
    Leader of the Bo'ytill Clan

Professional Mateba GunSlingah

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This guy has been playing as my XO partner ALOT through the last few weeks, and has not let me down once. Quick at communicating and actually talks to marines and throws banter around instead of being a silent NPC, most importantly your always willing to try crazy plans and isn't scared of going outside the meta box at all. One of my most enjoyable shipside roleplay rounds recently was with you as CMP, where we had a hostage-ransom war over a bag of money and donuts, proved to me that you play to have a fun round over winning at all costs. Would love to see what you can bring to the game with a deagle in your belt. Huge +1 for me.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've taught this player command for a while. They've been rapidly improving, and have begun to disappoint less and less. They've become a competent commander, and I hope to see them on the whitelist soon. +1.
    Joe Dafoe, PFC/hobby Huntard hunter.
    Xenomorph FOE, disgusting runner/warrior main.
    Yautja hunter Nall'kro, clanless heathen.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been absent from the forums and game for awhile, but Ethan here has messaged me daily, continuously on his Predator Apps, feedback, this app and plenty more; and so, I feel I'd slide my +1 even if it's unoffiicial.
    Jaio 'HOP' Gsulio, Marine who enjoy's Spec, SG and SO. Hmmph. The true JTAC God.
    Athein Bo'ytill Based Unrobust Pred

Mentor: 4-28-2020 - 9-9-2020
    TMOD: 9-9-2020 - 10-3-2020
    Retired: 10-3-2020 - Present

Shout out to Manezhinho, mans a chad.
    Jaio 'HOP' Gsulio
    [

Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had the chance to play SO under Harry Howard last nigh. Man is competent and communicates. I see no reason for him not to get the WL. BIG +1 from me. Good luck and cant wait to see you kicking ass as Major Howard. God Speed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi! I've gotten a grasp of lots of things about you, which I'll comment on later!

I'd like to ask you questions related to how your CO will be, how your CO acts, and head your CO leads to make up for your lack of playtimes! Note that there aren't necessarily wrong answers here.

1. Your CIC is completely staffed and you believe your absence won't affect the OP in a negative way, as your staff is assumed competent to handle their role while you are not there. What do you do? Do you head around the ship? Do you stay in CIC anyway? Do you deploy groundside to lead directly?

2. You're leading the helm for CIC on LV and the xenos have been pushed into western caves, where you're now holding a choke. So far, it's been 5 minutes here and the marines are making no progress forward. You anticipate the queen's arrival soon to the choke. How do you think marines could be led to victory in this situation?

3. You just woke up from cryo and have a relatively competent XO leading on duty for Kutjevo and your marines are stalling out at Botany Bridge. It's been about 30 minutes since the operation started groundside, and FOB is poorly caded with two manageable cadelines at the west, one at the south, and one at the north. Your XO seems to be going pale from a lack of knowledge of how to handle the situation. How do you step up and lead the situation here?

4. You're leading an operation On Solaris with a fully staffed CIC. So far, the operation has been going on for an hour and a half. Your marines were pushed back to FOB early on but have held out there for over an hour. The xenos dwindling numbers convince Queen that she needs to pull back her forces. You know that xenos have caps (unknown how many), and you need a new plan. What do you think up in this situation? Do you have marines continue to hold? Do you organize them into a push and attempt your way to hive?

(away a bit from commanding questions)

5. You're a CO shipside handling an appeal. You speak with the prisoner, who gives you a firm salute, as well as MPs who witnessed the arrest and discover the CMP arrested a PFC over false charges. The Warden is disrespectful to you the entire time, and the MPs are uncomfortable with both the CMP and MW. How do you handle the appeal, and how do you deal with the CMP and MW?

6. The operation is lost and the ship is being hijacked. You've already constructed a plan and voiced it to the marines via an announcement. One of your SOs, who is right next to you, disables your evac against your order and tells marines to meet up in a different place (which is also out of AA). There are many things you can do here to handle the situation, but how do you handle this?

7. The Requisitions is staffed by only a newer CT and the line is going very slowly. Tell me what options you'd explore to help ease the situation here.

8. Deagle or Mateba? (Very important question...)

I look forward to seeing your answers and more rounds together with you today! OORAH!
    Major Amber Walsh, Exceptional Leader

Spoiler Spoiler:

Za'Kul, Foolish Hunter
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Whitelisted Predator johnravioli's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnclearDoctorMain View Post
    1. Your CIC is completely staffed and you believe your absence won't affect the OP in a negative way, as your staff is assumed competent to handle their role while you are not there. What do you do? Do you head around the ship? Do you stay in CIC anyway? Do you deploy groundside to lead directly?
    I would let my XO know that I am going to prepare to go groundside, and tell him to announce that my arrival will be soon. Then I’d go arm and up, take the command tablet, and hit the road to the ground. Once I’m there groundside, I announce I’m going to the frontline and to follow all of my orders, and proceed to meet up with the marines.

2. You're leading the helm for CIC on LV and the xenos have been pushed into western caves, where you're now holding a choke. So far, it's been 5 minutes here and the marines are making no progress forward. You anticipate the queen's arrival soon to the choke. How do you think marines could be led to victory in this situation?
    I’ll separate some marines off and tell them to flank eastern, go up to lake, and from there, flank into western caves. They might encounter the hive, but it’ll probably get some xeno’s attention off the choke. If a brave RTO gets me OB coordinates behind the choke, we can bomb the fuck out of it and order a marine push into the choke. It’s a plausible idea but I think it’d work in this scenario.

3. You just woke up from cryo and have a relatively competent XO leading on duty for Kutjevo and your marines are stalling out at Botany Bridge. It's been about 30 minutes since the operation started groundside, and FOB is poorly caded with two manageable cadelines at the west, one at the south, and one at the north. Your XO seems to be going pale from a lack of knowledge of how to handle the situation. How do you step up and lead the situation here?
    Well, as I am in the CiC currently, I dismiss him to the squad overwatch consoles, and tell him I’ll take over the command for right now. As soon as I get situated, I deploy all of my MTs and also the CE to quickly build up a better north and south defense, as well as the main one on the east (you said west, there is no west of lz on Kutjevo). The botany bridge situation, I think marines can hold out for longer until the entire engineering department is finished making a bigger, more manageable defensive line.

Back to the front at Botany Bridge, I would announce for there to be a flank around medical, maybe get some OB coordinates for botany, and blow it to high hell. There is not much to order than push west.

Now that the marines know what to do, I’ll just let the XO come back and be the main commander of the operation, now that he's probably cooled off and knows what to do.

4. You're leading an operation On Solaris with a fully staffed CIC. So far, the operation has been going on for an hour and a half. Your marines were pushed back to FOB early on but have held out there for over an hour. The xenos dwindling numbers convince Queen that she needs to pull back her forces. You know that xenos have caps (unknown how many), and you need a new plan. What do you think up in this situation? Do you have marines continue to hold? Do you organize them into a push and attempt your way to hive?
    Anything can happen, so I would think about many backup plans and consider what could happen. Personally, I like going through lambda, so I’d send all squads to push the lambda padlocks (they’re probably destroyed by now), and look for the hive. If we attack as one, we are unstoppable, and the dwindling numbers means they couldn’t successfully repel a probably 50+ man force sweeping the caves unless the queen pulls a good screech, but even that can get messed up by a good SADAR or two.

Second scenario is if I order them to keep holding the FOB. This is a pretty bad idea because more caps, and the queen could just go back on ovi and allow more t2s and t3s, and I believe it would result in us getting grinded down so much that I’m forced to evacuate all remaining marines.

5. You're a CO shipside handling an appeal. You speak with the prisoner, who gives you a firm salute, as well as MPs who witnessed the arrest and discover the CMP arrested a PFC over false charges. The Warden is disrespectful to you the entire time, and the MPs are uncomfortable with both the CMP and MW. How do you handle the appeal, and how do you deal with the CMP and MW?
    Well, the prisoner is an innocent person, so I would let him speak, et cetera, and then accept the appeal. I wouldn’t have accepted it if he was an actual criminal and committed crimes. As soon as the appeal is done and over with, I arrest BOTH the CMP and the Warden. The CMP’s charges are Prevarication and Neglect of Duty (which is default for any MP who commits crime) and the Warden is charged with DASO and Neglect of Duty. Both the CMP and MW are to return to duty after they serve their term, I’m not going to demote them over stuff like this.

6. The operation is lost and the ship is being hijacked. You've already constructed a plan and voiced it to the marines via an announcement. One of your SOs, who is right next to you, disables your evac against your order and tells marines to meet up in a different place (which is also out of AA). There are many things you can do here to handle the situation, but how do you handle this?
    The SO is undermining my command and putting the lives of many a marine in danger, so I battlefield execute the SO. He is jeopardizing the post-hijack command and also being a general threat to my command. So, basically it had to be done.
    Either that or arrest him, but that would be actually impossible due to the fact they are probably crashing into the Almayer by then.

7. The Requisitions is staffed by only a newer CT and the line is going very slowly. Tell me what options you'd explore to help ease the situation here.
    If I have a SO, I’d give him requisition access and send him down to man the line. Then I would go down there myself and call for a SEA, so we can both teach the new man how to do it quickly. When all the marines deploy, then I would leave it to the SEA to teach him how to play the role and not go off to do whatever shenanigans SEAs do in their meantime.

If there is no SEA, then I would do it myself. I have the req book down pretty good.

8. Deagle or Mateba? (Very important question...)
    Mateba. Yes I know using a deagle is beasting on its own, but I kinda like the mateba. Maybe I'll use the deagle sometimes.
    Harry Howard,
    Predator - Clan Leader Atuudh Bo'ytill
    Leader of the Bo'ytill Clan

Professional Mateba GunSlingah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love your answers! I can trust you to maintain the standard as CO and help marines in their path to a fun, successful round!

I've been watching you for a while now and I really enjoy how you choose to command as XO. You aren't hard to reach and you don't get butthurt when marines try to interact with you in their unique ways. I appreciate the way that you maintain grit even with matters you aren't too familiar with. Your roleplay abilities made me smile as well. You have a great personality that would be great to have on the whitelist! You still have a lot of growing potential as a leader, and I think it'd definitely manifest with more options as a Commanding Officer!

I've also played with you as Predator and your RP and personality are very easy to enjoy as a player and it'd be great to see more of you around. It's sad so many of our XO-CO rolls didn't work out! I'd love to play with you more!

I'm leaving you with a huge +1, remember to stay innovative as CO. Your goal is to lead the marines to success, but the victory won't matter if there isn't fun along the way!

PS. -1 for mateba and not deagle!!! Also keep in mind to communicate effectively amongst marines, that's your biggest concern!
    Major Amber Walsh, Exceptional Leader

Spoiler Spoiler:

Za'Kul, Foolish Hunter
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Whitelisted Captain
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen you in quite a few roles and I don't think you have the experience required just yet. I watched multiple operations with you as XO and CIC was generally out of touch and uncommunicative. Then I've seen you commit a couple of major faux pas as other roles like completely abandoning the FOB as Bravo SL, or being too much of a dick as an MP(that's coming from me, a person who thinks that Brett and Rex are fine).

Then I have my reservations about people speedrunning the WL in general, since they often don't turn out well. Thus, -1 from me for now.

Get more experience, try to improve your command skills, but also, importantly, don't burn yourself out in the process. Command roles are a bit mentally draining, some parts of them are counter-intuitive and the feedback loop is bit skewed. So I recommend playing XO only when you feel like you're on top of your game.
    Roman 'Fire' Kacew