0 Thread(s)

Chiwi - Commanding Officer Application

Commanding Officer Whitelist Application
    Personal Information

Byond ID?
    Chiwi

Player Name You Use Most?
    Joan Fitzsimmons

Make a list of links to all of your ban appeals as well as whitelist and staff applications (both accepted and denied) submitted within the past year. For appeals, provide an additional ban reason and the appeal’s verdict next to the link.
    nil!

Have you received any bans in the last month?
    No

What is your timezone in UTC?
    UTC+1

What is your discord username and handle?
    chiu#5165

Basic Questions & Story

What do you think is the job of a Commander?
    A Commanding Officer's duty is to balance coordinating both the ship's functionality and the efficient execution of groundside operations. Among their obligations ensuring proper operation of the shipside departments and handling the information received through comms and live footage.

Where the CO differs from the XO is in the fact that they have (in theory) additional influence over the Marines and possess more provisions to handle situations that may arise, as well as being the topmost judicial authority aboard- and so, their knowledge of ML and SOP must be extensive.

In an OOC sense, it's my impression that apart from being a liaison between the Marines and staff, one of the most important roles of the CO is to strive to provide an enjoyable experience, both for Marines and for the xenos. Some ways to do this would be:

1. Without a doubt, deviating from the hottest "MOVE [direction]" meta strats for each map and not pursuing speedruns, though this doesn't imply that one must come up with ridiculous, guaranteed-failure maneuvers for the sake of it,

2. Upholding a certain standard of roleplay by "leading by example", creating entertaining interactions and not engaging in conduct unbecoming of a commissioned officer.

Why do you want to be a Commanding Officer?
    The reason why I want to be part of the whitelist, aside from enjoying the "basic" TDM part of the game and having a good old time killing (or dying, mostly) to xenos, is that I believe that I've found my calling within the CO's role, both in the IC and OOC senses.

I enjoy the roleplay between commissioned officers, NCOs, and enlisted Marines. I often see rounds coming and going without COs, and only an XO with a single SO left to command the op. This leaves many rounds without important and soulful interactions, player and personality from the game.

Being a frequent XO/SO player, I've received positive feedback from multiple community members and whitelisted COs, encouraging me to work towards applying. I'm very passionate about getting to play the role as I interpret it, and I believe that as a proactive player, I could bring a new outlook for the whitelist.

Provide a short story of your Commanding Officer.
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

A short story narrating the reason why my character is operating in the Outer Rim, laying out her affiliations and motives. Inspiration drawn from the Aliens universe (of course), Brave New World and Monkeysfist's lore tidbits.

Experience

How familiar are you with command positions?
    I am acquainted with them and know how to carry out their duties. Specifically, I've got the most playtime as XO, RO and CMP.

I believe that I am a competent Commander, and I've a firm grasp on Logistics and MP duties.

Approximately how many hours do you have as Executive Officer (XO) at the time of writing this application?
    I've got 38 hours as XO as of now.

How familiar are you with Department Head positions?
    I often play RO, and am very familiar with running Requisitions on my own (be it as SO, XO, CT or RO). Logistics play a big part in combat operations.

I enjoy playing CMP. I've acquired a deep knowledge of the law and SOP, and coordinating law keeping efforts, providing insight to inexperienced MPs and correcting misguided ones is an interesting dynamic for me.

The XO is one of, if not my, favorite role. I am very familiar with all of its Command duties (callout, pointers, headcounts, orders, etc.) and I have a great capacity to improvise on the go and adjust for unexpected situations.

The XO is also a blank card at times, as they can perform other departments' duties. They can be assigned to Req temporarily, deputized/selected to perform appeals, or sent down to the AO to either assist the backline with their medical skills or the frontline with their command buffs, influence and (hopefully) acquired game-sense- I'm familiar with all of these duties.

How familiar are you with Marine Law and Standard Operating Procedure?
    I'm well versed and familiar with both. I have 37hrs as CMP, 8hrs as MW and 33hrs as MP. I believe that ML and SOP should be treated almost as roleplay guides.

I enjoy playing MP roles and exercising my acquired knowledge. I'm known to butt heads with fellow MPs over SOP and ML breaches- the law isn't meant to handicap Marines and its enforcers should be held at the highest standard.

Scenarios

When do you believe a Battlefield Execution should be used?
    Instead of reading the book and paraphrasing it, I'll give a short statement and then move on to scenarios.

I believe that an individual is a candidate for a Battlefield Execution when they become a risk to the operation's integrity or to the state of order in the ship or AO.

Scenarios:

1. I'm leading the operation from CIC. My XO is there with me, and he's intentionally countermanding my orders for no valid reason (i. e. sensible improvisation, changing tides), inciting Marines to ignore my orders and being uncooperative in the sense that he’s ignoring my prior commands to rescind themselves to an overwatch-auxiliary role while I’m investing the whole of my attention on the op. As they're knowingly undermining my authority, I will dispatch them.

2. During a rushed evacuation that I'm overseeing, a Pilot (against explicit orders not to) locks the dropship's doors, leaving a multitude of Marines alone outside for xenos to maul, and then takes off, leaving them stranded. It’s my impression that he’s directly caused their deaths by guiding himself emotionally instead of listening to my and my SO/SL's callouts and following my direct orders, so I will carry out a Battlefield Execution.

3. I've deployed and a Marine is causing massive damage to our frontline by spamming bad grenades, he's been ordered to stop, and he's ignoring our commands. In order to put a message across and prevent further losses, I execute him.

4. A Marine is disrupting my briefing by continuously shoving me, spamming, and assaulting others that are present. Apart from being an obstruction to the operation, he's being an LRP nuisance. I blow his brains out, though I’d be especially careful about collateral damage, as the BE mechanic is a windup that the individual can just dodge and the room’s full of Marines that could be hit if I'm careless.

All in all, it's a quick method to get rid of troublemakers when MPs are not at hand or you've got to put a stop to a troublesome individual (or multiple) immediately. It cannot be done when the perpetrator is in custody as per SOP.

Under what circumstances do you believe it is legal to pardon a prisoner?
    It depends on multiple factors (i.e. the individual's importance to the operation, the crime they've been brought to the brig for, the MP department's lucidity, changing circumstances) There are, however, consequences to bad pardons.

A couple of concrete examples:

1. It’s the beginning of the operation and two Marines are playing slug roulette. The MPs take notice of this and bring both of them in for AWDW. Being aware of the fact that whether they consented to the assault or not is irrelevant, and the operation isn’t in any urgent need of manpower/MPs made no mistake, and even if I like playing the game as a PFC, a pardon wouldn’t be in order in this scenario.

2. It’s 13:45 and the fight has stagnated into a stalemate. We don’t have enough people to push the xenos’ lairs which are heavily built and trapped, and the xenos refuse to come out, instead luring Marines in order to grind them down. A competent SPC assaulted the RO for being passive-aggressive against him and not ordering rockets for him to use, despite having the funds for it. He gets arrested for assault and DASO. Considering the circumstances, I’d grant a pardon, tell him he should’ve come directly to me when this happened and not to speak with the RO anymore to avoid further complications. Then I’d take it into my own hands to head to requisitions, speak with the RO, and have them buy the rockets. They don't have to interact with each other at all; the operation’s continuity is our top priority.

That being said: You cannot issue pardons for Capital crimes, and if an individual you've pardoned becomes a repeat offender, you can be brought in yourself.

Pardons are an extraordinary provision that should only be granted in very strictly named exceptions. One's actions have consequences, after all.

Confirmations

Have you read the Code of Conduct?
    Yes

Have you read the application process page?
    Yes

Do you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

Do you understand you cannot advertise or promote this application on any platform, including Discord?
    Yes

Do you also understand that you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes
    Last edited by chiu; 02-14-2022 at 03:32 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lack of SL hours makes me a bit iffy on it, but what are some of the deployment plans youve tried/want to try as CO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey man, thanks for coming by.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreven View Post
    Lack of SL hours makes me a bit iffy on it, but what are some of the deployment plans youve tried/want to try as CO
    I've realized this, yeah- I've played six hours as SL, which is maybe 4-5 rounds in the past month, and have possibly spent as much as that as aSL. I'm definitely comfortable in the role, understand its responsibilities and capabilities, and I'll be putting more time into it to demonstrate it.

dreamseeker_gE97eX3IDo.png

Onto your question: here's some plans I've tried recently. I'll assume all squads are combat-capable.

Scenario 1: Shivas. We're all worn out from the basic LZ2 drop and charge south, so I select LZ1:
    I assign Bravo to LZ1 FOB, and order Alpha to stay with them until the LZ is well secured. Charlie and Delta will form the scouting party, and they'll head north of the LZ1 to search the medical and security facility up there. If they meet the enemies head-on, they form the frontline. If it's deserted, I have them return to the FOB and head out to the Bar from there, as it's a central map position where we can expect xenos on the way to Research. Alpha will either join Charlie and Delta on the frontline or carry out a southern flank through the caves, depending on the situation at the front and their capabilities.

Scenario 2: Solaris. There's one specific round that comes to mind, even though it turned sour. I selected LZ2.
    Alpha and Bravo are assigned to FOB (this is a common theme in almost all my ops, I've got PTSD from Warrior and Lurker parties harassing the defenseless engineers, being one of them myself in some cases). I assigned Charlie and Delta to breach the western LZ wall and head into the western cave complex instead of filt. I had them scout the caves in what effectively was a counter-clockwise motion, starting at SW caves, going through south Eta caves, then SE caves. Alpha would join the frontline once the LZ was secured.

All squads were performing exceptionally well this round. Bravo and Alpha set the LZ up very quickly, which allowed Charlie and Delta to be reinforced early. The problem was that the Charger strain was being tested at that moment, and even though we made a strong and organized initial push into Eta and scored a bunch of kills, when the crushers showed up, we weren't able to handle them. The 4 chargers shattered the groundside forces and we couldn't do much about it, even after a well placed OB that had good effects.

Scenario 3: LV. I select LZ1. This is one I liked a lot.

Bravo and Alpha on FOB. Delta is sent to scout for gaps, and Charlie is sent to Fitness. I had Charlie get me coordinates for an OB between Medical and Hydro domes and so we could fire a cluster on it (Hydro being a terrible location to hold, knowing how easy it is to encircle it).

An abundance of warnings, announcements and radio minmaxing made it possibly not to get "good" hits. Since Hydro and Medbay were then a barren part on our side of the map, they served as a great fighting area for our Marines once we had the xenos engage us a tablefort, and feigned a rout towards Nexus. The Queen and its entourage confidently gave chase, and once they made it to the hydro barren, we turned back, had Charlie and Delta engage again, supported by Alpha's fresh Marines. A second, well placed incendiary OB north of where the hydro dome let us cut them off and inflict enough damage to tip the scales in our favor.

Scenario 4: LV. This one was one of my best rounds as SL.

I was Charlie SL, and we were assigned to, along with Alpha, head to Hydro and secure it. Normal up to this point, but there was a twist.

I was given the responsibility of getting a laze up past the fog so that Delta drop on it with rappels. My mark was at tablefort and I kept it up for a while, so a bunch of them deployed. When the fog dropped, south tfort looked like the Normandy assault. They set up small pillboxes and held their ground against the whole of the xenos and got some T3 kills, and we reinforced them at the best time as they were about to get broken in. This round ended as a Marine win.

Aside from these, I'm enthusiastic about getting to explore more options with the rappel system, double drops, and static comms. Overall, I don't like metarushes, and I don't like leaving squads alone to be isolated and killed unless they're well placed flanks while the xenos are properly engaged and distracted with the main force. I'm looking forward to play a few rounds with you, both as XO and SL, so you can get a better idea of my style ingame.
    Last edited by chiu; 02-15-2022 at 02:23 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen you develop over time as an XO, and I like what I see. Your story is more than acceptable, and your answers are acceptable as well. I know you know your marine law and SoP, as I've seen you as both CMP and MP. Can't say I've had any issues with you prior, all positives in my book. Though the lack of SL hours is a bit concerning as Dreven said, I've seen your leadership capabilities first hand and am sure you can pick up what, if anything, it is you missed from the lack of SL gameplay.

Overall, a resounding +1.
    Joe Dafoe, PFC/hobby Huntard hunter.
    Xenomorph FOE, disgusting runner/warrior main.
    Yautja hunter Nall'kro, clanless heathen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A very good CIC XO, who performs his role well. He's extremely knowledgeable on leadership from CIC, and ML. I've seen him play a bit of SL as well especially moreso recently, and he does good. He's definitely mechanically and even socially ready for the CO whitelist. A good example of a silent workhouse of the average CM round, and a decent player, who is involved in multiple aspects of the community.

+1 from me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While my interactions with Fitz have been hit or miss, there's no denying they're a great XO. I've played rounders under them where the plan just wasn't working, the marines weren't unganging. Fitz turned this around and managed to impress me by rallying the marines and salvaging the operation as best as they could. It ended in a loss, but the fact they didn't give up where most other XOs do, impressed me.

+1

Good luck

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chiu View Post
    Hey man, thanks for coming by.

I've realized this, yeah- I've played six hours as SL, which is maybe 4-5 rounds in the past month, and have possibly spent as much as that as aSL. I'm definitely comfortable in the role, understand its responsibilities and capabilities, and I'll be putting more time into it to demonstrate it.

dreamseeker_gE97eX3IDo.png

Onto your question: here's some plans I've tried recently. I'll assume all squads are combat-capable.

Scenario 1: Shivas. We're all worn out from the basic LZ2 drop and charge south, so I select LZ1:
    I assign Bravo to LZ1 FOB, and order Alpha to stay with them until the LZ is well secured. Charlie and Delta will form the scouting party, and they'll head north of the LZ1 to search the medical and security facility up there. If they meet the enemies head-on, they form the frontline. If it's deserted, I have them return to the FOB and head out to the Bar from there, as it's a central map position where we can expect xenos on the way to Research. Alpha will either join Charlie and Delta on the frontline or carry out a southern flank through the caves, depending on the situation at the front and their capabilities.

Scenario 2: Solaris. There's one specific round that comes to mind, even though it turned sour. I selected LZ2.
    Alpha and Bravo are assigned to FOB (this is a common theme in almost all my ops, I've got PTSD from Warrior and Lurker parties harassing the defenseless engineers, being one of them myself in some cases). I assigned Charlie and Delta to breach the western LZ wall and head into the western cave complex instead of filt. I had them scout the caves in what effectively was a counter-clockwise motion, starting at SW caves, going through south Eta caves, then SE caves. Alpha would join the frontline once the LZ was secured.

All squads were performing exceptionally well this round. Bravo and Alpha set the LZ up very quickly, which allowed Charlie and Delta to be reinforced early. The problem was that the Charger strain was being tested at that moment, and even though we made a strong and organized initial push into Eta and scored a bunch of kills, when the crushers showed up, we weren't able to handle them. The 4 chargers shattered the groundside forces and we couldn't do much about it, even after a well placed OB that had good effects.

Scenario 3: LV. I select LZ1. This is one I liked a lot.

Bravo and Alpha on FOB. Delta is sent to scout for gaps, and Charlie is sent to Fitness. I had Charlie get me coordinates for an OB between Medical and Hydro domes and so we could fire a cluster on it (Hydro being a terrible location to hold, knowing how easy it is to encircle it).

An abundance of warnings, announcements and radio minmaxing made it possibly not to get "good" hits. Since Hydro and Medbay were then a barren part on our side of the map, they served as a great fighting area for our Marines once we had the xenos engage us a tablefort, and feigned a rout towards Nexus. The Queen and its entourage confidently gave chase, and once they made it to the hydro barren, we turned back, had Charlie and Delta engage again, supported by Alpha's fresh Marines. A second, well placed incendiary OB north of where the hydro dome let us cut them off and inflict enough damage to tip the scales in our favor.

Scenario 4: LV. This one was one of my best rounds as SL.

I was Charlie SL, and we were assigned to, along with Alpha, head to Hydro and secure it. Normal up to this point, but there was a twist.

I was given the responsibility of getting a laze up past the fog so that Delta drop on it with rappels. My mark was at tablefort and I kept it up for a while, so a bunch of them deployed. When the fog dropped, south tfort looked like the Normandy assault. They set up small pillboxes and held their ground against the whole of the xenos and got some T3 kills, and we reinforced them at the best time as they were about to get broken in. This round ended as a Marine win.

Aside from these, I'm enthusiastic about getting to explore more options with the rappel system, double drops, and static comms. Overall, I don't like metarushes, and I don't like leaving squads alone to be isolated and killed unless they're well placed flanks while the xenos are properly engaged and distracted with the main force. I'm looking forward to play a few rounds with you, both as XO and SL, so you can get a better idea of my style ingame.
    I like your ideas and I can see your hearts in the right place for what COing is all about, have a +1

Whitelisted Predator johnravioli's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, Chiu here is a pretty good leader, and I have witnessed him play SL a good bit. He has also SO'd under me aswell, and does his job perfectly. I will HAPPILY +1 this man right here.
    Harry Howard,
    Predator - Clan Leader Atuudh Bo'ytill
    Leader of the Bo'ytill Clan

Professional Mateba GunSlingah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to thank everyone for the support. It really means a lot to me and I won't let you down *nod.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have served under Joan more times than I can count on my hand, whether that be as an SO, SL or, just a simple Rifleman. They are a competent and often times flexible leader that is willing to try new things and take risks. To add on, they seem to know Military Law and Standard Operating Procedure quite well as I have often seen them as a CMP as much as an XO.

Huge +1 from me. Good luck!