User Tag List

Thread: The "HPR Hurts" Support Build

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The "HPR Hurts" Support Build

Hey guys it's me again, back with another shite build for you to try out this time centered around everyone's favorite FF machine, The Heavy Pulse Rifle. The aim of the build is to provide a baseline support framework for the average PFC who is just behind the frontlines. I'll list all the choices you make in the order you would get them from cryo to deploy. As always, any criticism or feedback is welcome so be sure to tell me how crap the build is down below.

TLDR at the bottom, cause ain't nobody got time to read all this nonsense. NOTE: HPR NO LONGER GETS IFF SO THIS GUIDE IS OUTDATED.

First off, right as you leave cryo you MUST go buy smokes. Every true American smokes either cigars or lucky strikes on the battlefield. This part is non-negotiable you non-smoking UPP spy.

Second, grab uniform, boots, gloves, etc. including the MRE. Get medium armor and skip grabbing any belt item then get both the first aid pouch and the one that includes the injectors. Now onto the 45 points you got to spend, grab the HPR and a health HUD.

~A thing of note~: I'm going to be upfront and say this is not the preferred loadout for MY FAVORITE HPR BUILD. The reason I am not listing my preferred build is because it has a lot of limited items in it and if you are late joining 95% of the time you will be missing items or have to settle for less or taking far too many resources you will never use and thus limiting it for others. I'll quickly rundown what I do differently at the end of this build guide for those interested.

Third, walk into squad prep and grab yourself the following attachies for your weapons: (Suppressor, Bipod, Magharn, under-barrel light grip, red dot, and Bayonet) Grab brown or black webbing and wear it. Walk over to the regular squad vendors and grab the M37. Now take a moment to shift items around to their proper places and attach all the things. In your webbing put the bandages, the splints, the tricord, the bica, and the kilotane. In your armor slot put the tram inject and the MRE. Then the attachments we put on the HPR are the magharn, the suppressor, and the bipod. The M37 gets the under-barrel grip, the red dot, and the bayonet. Now walk back over to the squad vendors and grab a shotgun shell pouch, magazine pouch, and a shotgun scabbard, throw your spare ammo boxes in the mag pouch and fill the shotgun shell pouch with whichever shell you prefer to use, we'll go with slugs just to complete the whole support role image. Grab a couple of M41AE2 HPR ammo boxes while you're there and throw the Holo box in your last armor slot.

~Suppressor~: You might be wondering what the point of putting the suppressor on the HPR is. While yes it does slightly lower damage (I believe it's roughly 2 per bullet, could be wrong I don't recall) and increase falloff (0.4) the positives it gives PARTICULARLY for the HPR are deceptively very good. The main reason we want the suppressor is because it makes you ninja on the backline. Not only does remove the muzzle flashes, lower the sounds while shooting, and remove the firing messages, it also adds a few bonus stats we want on the HPR (accuracy 15%, and scatter -1). Let's think about it for a moment, the way the HPR is often used is as a second line bullet hose to suppress and rain down punishment on pushing benoids. When Xenos are rushing the front line, they are looking to kill, stun, or disable attacking marines so they are getting shot less and thus stay on the front for longer. When you are bipod down and blasting at full speed you will have constant muzzle flashes coming from your sprite, the unique HPR firing sound, as well as the huge stream of firing messages the Xenos will get about being hit by your bullets. This clues them into which marine bastard is raining hellfire upon them and if they are smart, they will either switch over to targeting, disrupting you, or mov out of your firing arc making you lose bipod if you target them. With the suppressor they won't know what hit em' quite literally. All they will see is what they may think is just another marine watching others get brutalized doing nothing but standing there, fear RPing. I can't tell you how many times I've gunned down some poor Xeno who thought they were doing a good job killing some poor bastard only for them to realize too late I have already put about 20 rounds into them as they try to turn and run only to slump over dead a short distance away. The Suppressor is deadly on the HPR and should not be underestimated.

Lastly, wander over to the Requisition line to grab the last piece of gear you'll need, The Motion Detector, and put it on your belt slot. This is also a good time to grab any attachments or ammo you may be missing if they were all taken already by other ungas. Another thing you could ask for is a large mag pouch and large shotgun shell pouch, I would recommend that you get the large mag pouch for the extra ammo box as I tend to run out quite fast, but they tend to be in short supply and it's not 100% necessary.

~Motion Detector~: The reason we really want this neat lil tool is because it provides much needed information to make your suppressing fire actually useful. Later I'll be going into more depth on basic positioning and tactics when using the HPR but for now suffice to say that we are going to have the front line roughly at the edge of our screen. The MD is used to gauge approximately where the Xenos are attacking from beyond the edge of the screen, this is where we are going to be shooting at when pushing a particularly hard choke or dangerous area. Are there 7 pings and they are all just around the corner marines are fighting at? Use Suppressing fire to make those Xenos think twice before diving onto George 'HPR Hurts' Grills and ripping him limb from limb. Do you hear the queen stomps coming and you know that bitch is rolling up for a screech? Blast into the almost certain mass of pings that are coming and hopefully dissuade some of them from going in too hard and getting a cap, maybe even softening them up for others to kill. Notice you're on the flank and a ping appears behind you? Drop the bipod and swap to the shotty and get ready to be pounced or hopefully save someone from a woyer lunge. As a support role, battlefield awareness is key, and few things do it better than a trusty MD.

Now a bit more on how you should fight and some nuances. Your main weapon is the M41AE2 Heavy Pulse Rifle, and you are there to rain down IFF hell by using the bipod. I would 100% recommend that you put a use-under-barrel-attachment macro on an easy to access key, I use C. Also, when using a bipod FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE LOCK YOUR DIRECTION before deploying the bipod by holding the alt key and then clicking a direction key. This will save you from so much FF from others bumping into you causing you to lose bipod and therefor IFF causing you to then shoot people in the back. Every time you want to fire your weapon you want to move into a good position and drop your bipod then wait for the sound cue before you start shooting if there are any marines between you and the xenos. Now onto where you should position yourself when using a bipod, I would recommend you try to keep the edge of the front at or a bit before screen length. If you go straight on the frontlines, you will find that most xenos tend to circle whoever they are killing and if you try to aim at them, you will lose bipod deployment in .1 seconds which then cuts your rate of fire to abysmal levels and leaves you wide open to get brutalized, if you really need to be on the frontline swap to the shotgun. Furthermore, by being right at screen edge or a bit closer to the front, you can see which xenos are pushing hard and focus them easier. Notice the Prae is jumping in behind marines, attacking, and then using an ability on someone before running away? LIGHT THE BITCH UP AND MAKE HER EARN THAT SPOT RESERVED FOR THE UNGAS. Notice that people are treating a corner with caution? It's prolly that woyer scum camping it waiting for an easy cap, little does he know you have the HPR dropped and dirty, ready to murder his ass should he think he can get away with it. Absolute best-case scenario is when you notice everyone run back and scream queen and she screech JUUUUUST OUTSIDE your vision range, oh you poor thing, let me introduce your hive to my good friends the HPR and bipod. Not only will that screech not go as well as they hope I can almost always score an easy kill on all the body blocking that's about to happen as they scramble away from my unabated lead storm. The key is to be close enough to support the front while not being on the front.

~Diagonal shooting~: This is a rather important concept to understand so I made a separate part to really drive it home. When you use the bipod you may note that you sometimes turn to shoot at targets on the edge of your firing arc and sometimes not there is a mechanic at play here I want to explain. When you are shooting diagonally the game gives precedence to facing left and right over up and down. This means that when you decide on the direction to lock facing it is important to note that facing left or right gives you a larger arc to fire in when compared to facing up or down. Are you trying to cover a corner of the screen and you can either lock facing up or facing left? Lock it left, you have a larger firing arc and will not lose bipod for shooting diagonally whereas you would if you locked it facing up. It's the difference of FFing a marine to death and actually helping them survive an attack.

Other than that, there really isn't much more to cover here. If you run out of ammo for the HPR or find yourself on the front, swap to the Shotty and take your place on the frontline stunning xenos with slugs or whatever shells you took. Also try not to bipod up in the middle of a skinny lane since you can really slow people down if you are just standing there blocking them, I tend to put my back against a wall or snug into a corner if possible so I can comfortably sit there and vibe. Also try to always lift up the bipod before moving since breaking bipod without doing so, gives you a pretty severe slow that lasts for like 2 maybe 3 seconds, which I find is almost always just enough time for that boiler gas to hit you as you try to run out. Another thing to look out for is set pieces that let you drop bipod immediately, like tables, ledges, windowsills, etc. While the bipod windup isn't super long, it is long enough to let xenos escape or close the distance to murder your ass dead. Be sure to use the bayonet on the shotgun to clear as you move along.

~TLDR~ and recap: You have your medium armor with the MRE, tram injector, and Holo Mag. A health HUD, and webbing with tricord, bica, kilo injectors, bandages, and splints. You have the HPR (Magharn, suppressor, bipod) on your suit slot and the M37 (Red dot, light grip, bayonet) in your scabbard on your back. Your belt has your MD and you got the mag pouch (preferably large pouch) full of HPR boxes and the shotgun shell pouch with slugs (Or shell whatever you want really).

And there it is, The "HPR Hurts" Support Build. For when you want to sit just behind the frontline and still help with the push.

Think the build is shit? Got improvements or criticism? Want to say who the hell cares? Reply down below.

~MY~VERSION~: The above build is a basic HPR support concept now let's kick it up a notch for when we want to HPR with a bit more oomph, maybe after you are comfortable with the build and notice something feels... lacking. So what we do to fix that is that we don't use our PFC points to buy our HPR here, we hope and pray that req is awake and has some to spare. We instead use all our PFC points to buy M44 heavy round speed loaders maybe a health HUD. Make sure to grab the M44 belt as well. We get the same attachies for the HPR and we grab a smart scope, laser and bayo for the revolver. We skip the shotgun and grab a second magazine pouch for a total of 6 slots. Now you pretty much want to fill up the M44 belt with all the heavy speed loaders you can find, but this is where I have to lead you aside and say, DONT TAKE ALL THE LOADERS FROM BOTH VENDORS YOU GREEDY FUCK. ONE VENDOR FULL IS ENOUGH! If you can't fill your belt full with M44 heavies from that, tough shit! We spend all our points on them for a reason so others can have some as well. If you really need more after emptying one machine head over to req and get them from there, you also want 4 more ammo boxes for your HPR and a piece of cardboard so get those as well while you're in line. Now for the cardboard we want to skip the satchel on the backpack slot and instead grab an ammo box of 10x24mm with 600 rounds, be sure to save 2 empty boxes for refilling. The 6 boxes along with the Ammo box and Holo mag give you 2,600 rounds to burn through, because you have a fever. And the only cure to that fever is more dakka. And before you ask, yes, yes I do still run out of ammo when I take this many rounds. We take this many rounds because we don't plan to stop firing our HPR. If your bipod is down, you are firing your weapon, I don't care at what. Resin structures? Make them open terrain. Doors? I don't see a door anymore. Shit fuckin' xenos camping a corner behind a wall? Shoot the fucking wall down. I also take light armor so I can chase with my heavy revolver and fuck up any T1 or woyer who thought it might be a good idea to show their ugly mug around me. My build takes a lot more of the limited resources than the one above what with 4 HPR boxes and at least 3-4 more heavy speed loaders pillaged from the vendors so I opted for the more ammo friendly build above.
    Last edited by Santiago Delgado; 12-26-2022 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Formatting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you forgot the 100% necessary macro

say "Supressing fire sarge!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice guide
    I love getting ripped limb from limb
    The laziest Bravo medic main that used to only use a flamer.
    LCPL George ‘swamp’ Grills [Bravo (Med)] says, "What a libtard lmao”
    Now I main Alpha ahhhhh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha glad you like it! I was hoping you'd see this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I managed to get a medal on Kutjevo using this build thanks to your guide, as well as being praised for being the main push's vanguard in killing several xenos without them knowing what hit them.

+1 to this guide and to you, my man!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey that's great to hear, glad you liked it.

Whitelisted Predator Waseemq1235's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, just would like to note, that you can carry an absolute fuckton more rounds in your satchel instead of opting for an ammo box on the back.
    Ammo box stores 600 rounds, your satchel can store.. Like 6 HPR mags or so? If I got this number correct, you'd have 1800 rounds instead of 600, 3 times as much!
    The real issue comes with obtaining those boxes, you'd have to have some kind req to get this many boxes, plus you'd have to raid both prep vendors. If you're that type of psychopath, I don't see why not.

Also, I do often like to not have a suppressor, while the points presented here are valid, badassery is one thing that appeals to me too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waseemq1235 View Post
    Hey, just would like to note, that you can carry an absolute fuckton more rounds in your satchel instead of opting for an ammo box on the back.
    Ammo box stores 600 rounds, your satchel can store.. Like 6 HPR mags or so? If I got this number correct, you'd have 1800 rounds instead of 600, 3 times as much!
    The real issue comes with obtaining those boxes, you'd have to have some kind req to get this many boxes, plus you'd have to raid both prep vendors. If you're that type of psychopath, I don't see why not.

Also, I do often like to not have a suppressor, while the points presented here are valid, badassery is one thing that appeals to me too.
    yeah, you're not wrong about carrying more ammo with a satchel over an ammo box, I believe it's like 5 mags? I just don't want to take like 12 boxes of HPR ammo and empty out both vendors, It's nice to share. Also you are 100% right about the no suppressor, sometimes you want a weapon sound to be a badass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always had issues with find a nice PFC loadout but this one caught my eye. Never really bothered with the HPR in the past but this post convinced me to give it a go. Immediately started having alot of fun with it and noticeably gotten more kills compared to other weapons I've used in the past (I'm pretty garbo at combat despite the hours I've sunk into CM). Many thanks for writing this up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a fellow HPR user, I never thought about using a suppressor. After trying it for several rounds I have to say it's a good choice, xenos tend to linger a while longer under your fire which results in more kills.