0 Thread(s)

Damous - Commanding Officer Application

Commanding Officer Whitelist Application
    Personal Information

Byond ID?
    Damous

Player Name You Use Most?
    Joe Gage

Make a list of links to all of your ban appeals as well as whitelist and staff applications (both accepted and denied) submitted within the past year. For appeals, provide an additional ban reason and the appeal’s verdict next to the link.
    Nothing within the past year.

Have you received any bans in the last month?
    No

What is your timezone in UTC?
    GMT -3

What is your discord username and handle?
    Damous#2529

Basic Questions & Story

What do you think is the job of a Commander?
    The job of the Commanding Officer, based around my experience while playing command staff(XO and SO), is to serve as the highest possible playable link between not only the command staff and the ground, but also MPs and Marines, CL and ship, High Command and Command Staff, minor link between Admins (especially during events) and players and to make sure the heads are keeping their departments in check.

Why do you want to be a Commanding Officer?
    I've been playing the game for a few odd years, needed a break and then returned. I've always played from the XO and SL position, however for the present moment, I really like to play it from the highest possible playable position and finally experience command staff for its full potential.

Provide a short story of your Commanding Officer.
    [TAPE RECORDING - "EXECUTIVE OFFICER, JOE GAGE" - 13 JANUARY 217X] ; START

...-"Tive Officer Joe Gage, everything seems to be in order for you promotion but theres a few odd things i want to inquiry you about, which is the reason of our meeting in the first place"-

The Lieutenant Admiral snuffed put out his cigarette before placing a new on his mouth and lighting it with a swift motion. He continued -"Joined the force in [REDACTED] August 2148 at the age of 18 to avoid jail, was incarcerated in the Youth Detention Center of [REDACTED] at labour colony [REDACTED], for piracy... What drove you to piracy?"-.

-"Hunger"- responded Joe Gage. The Admiral was quiet for a moment -"Hmm, i see... why did you enlist?"-

-"The slogan sir, "Server YOUR time with the USCM"- Gage answered quickly with a smile on his face. -"Then you are lucky there even was a enlistment center there"- the Admiral quickly rebuked with clear signs of discontent.

-"What can you tell me about Hadley's Hope?"- he asked. "Not much, i was a sergeant by then and i only saw the smoldering crater, ship debrees and destroyed vess..." -"There was such a thing as destroyed vessels or debree in the the official report"- said the admiral, correcting Gages misinformation.

-"Then i saw nothing"-

The Admiral continues -"After OCS at age of 25, you took leave and did not come back to the force for 2 years why is that?"-

Gage responds "I wanted to have some free tim..."- The admiral interrupts him -"Cut the crap Officer"-

-"I worked as a instructor"- Gage answers. "To whom?"- asked the Admiral

Gage -"[REDACTED]

-"I do not like the sound of that...Officer Gage"-

The Admiral Adds -"Your career from this point on has been surprisingly unremarkable, besides a few Colony revolts quelling, odd deployments here and there and the rapid ascension through the ranks"-

-"Anyway, this concludes our session, be aware that there will be another meeting before the brass can promote you"- Said the Admiral while a telephone rings on the background.

-"As long there are no more nuances, your promotion should go smoothly"- concluded the Admiral -"someone, GET ME THAT DAMN PHONE"-

[TAPE RECORDING - "EXECUTIVE OFFICER, JOE GAGE" - 13 JANUARY 217X] ; PAUSE

RECORDED AND ARCHIVED BY USCM HISTORIAN AND ARCHIVIST JACK [REDACTED]. 217X

[TAPE RECORDING - "EXECUTIVE OFFICER, JOE GAGE" - 13 JANUARY 217X] ; START

"...care about who you know, what are your connections. FORGET ABOUT YOUR PROMOTION"- The Lieutenant Admiral slams his fist into the table -"DO YOU HEAR ME BOY?"- a telephone ringing can be heard in the background

[TAPE RECORDING - "EXECUTIVE OFFICER, JOE GAGE" - 13 JANUARY 217X] ; END

RE-EDITED AND ARCHIVED BY USCM HISTORIAN AND ARCHIVIST JACK [REDACTED]. 218X

Experience

How familiar are you with command positions?
    Very familiar, from SL to XO and i have good experience as other heads of staff and know how they operate.

Approximately how many hours do you have as Executive Officer (XO) at the time of writing this application?
    https://i.gyazo.com/dd9b857f415d4ce2...6f7578ed4d.png

Almost 86 Hours, 85.8 to be exact, not counting the time i played during the defcom era.

How familiar are you with Department Head positions?
    Im familiar with CE, CMP, and RO which i used to play as, before they got time locked.

But since i lost the grace period, i did not have the time to unlock them.

How familiar are you with Marine Law and Standard Operating Procedure?
    Medium to advanced understanding, there is ALOT of stuff there and its kinda hard to remember all of it.

Scenarios

When do you believe a Battlefield Execution should be used?
    When the situation demands it.

Example 1: During briefing at the hangar, a Bravo Marine started shooting the Alpha Smart Gunner or one of your officers in the presence of the CO. The Bravo Marine may be BOd as long as the CO is assured no other third party will be harmed.

Example 2: Ship personnel or marine is arrested for 3 major crimes and gets permanently brigged, attempted and tried escape permabrig one or more times.

Example 3: During deployment via alamo at 12:20, Delta SLs refuses to obey your direct orders to deploy via normandy as it was stated in briefing, and throws insults at you in front of everybody, incentivizing other marines to do the same.

Under what circumstances do you believe it is legal to pardon a prisoner?
    When his contribution to the flow of the round is substantial or his expertise is unmatched. It will also depend on the circumstance.

Example 1: The only VC for the medAPC charged with NOD for 15 minutes.

Example 2: During low pop, my only Command Staff (XO or SO) gets arrested for intoxication and theft.

Confirmations

Have you read the Code of Conduct?
    Yes

Have you read the application process page?
    Yes

Do you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

Do you understand you cannot advertise or promote this application on any platform, including Discord?
    Yes

Do you also understand that you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had the pleasure of serving under Squad Leader and XO Joe Gage. Always competent leadership. Amazing SL and great XO. Easy +1. Stand stall and pierce the heavens. I one day would like to rank among you as a CO. GOD SPEED

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im trying to play XO, but i only been able to get the position once since yesterday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gage, you're a very competent soul in what you do. I've seen you lead as a gigachad many times and done excellently in leading marines on the right path. However, I believe you are lacking in one quality that all COs need. You aren't outgoing enough, and it doesn't leave enough impact on the players. That's what I believe you need to work on for becoming a better commander and a prevalent figure in the community. The CO is about inspiring the players to do the mission, and you don't deliver the gumption. -1. I hope you find yourself more luck with your application.
    Major Amber Walsh, Exceptional Leader

Spoiler Spoiler:

Za'Kul, Foolish Hunter
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand, i will be playing XO, or at least trying to play for the next few days, so people can see some of my better qualities.

Its been quite hard to roll XO.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m going to give a -1. I’ve had you quite a few times as my XO and you aren’t bad but I don’t think you’re quite ready for CO yet. You have a really bad habit of not delegating tasks, which is what a leader should be doing. I pointed this out to you in discord but you didn’t seem to take the criticism. It wasn’t something for just that round, it’s a consistent trait of your command style. I get people are unreliable and can suck, but you are a commander, you task people out. I think this has to do with what Amber said in that you aren’t talking enough with your men. You’ve had a few ops where you don’t give out orders outside of “load onto X drop ship and deploy at X time I will give further orders later” and left the marines wondering what they’re supposed to do. I don’t doubt you know the game flow and how to talk to marines, you play a ton of SL, but you just don’t speak with them enough. Put yourself out there man, I do it as CO all the time like forcing ALL of alpha to do retarded shit like drill and ceremony like they’re in a star wars RP gmod server and people do it despite how retarded it may be. You don’t need to do that as XO but give orders out and rely on your men until they prove they can’t be relied on and swap them out with someone you can - if possible.
    Synth Gaming

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “load onto X drop ship and deploy at X time I will give further orders later”

Thats mostly when orders are too complicated to be given during briefing, like the last time i was your XO on Solaris. During the first 40 minutes of shift all assigments were completed, encirclement foiled and most marines we back at the FOB defending. The other side of that is when you give them complicated orders during briefing, i saw the catastrophic results of this
    Fiorina yesterday, none of the SLs and none of the high ranking NCOs (besides bravo squad) remembered their orders and immediately rushed, got encircled and destroyed, evac by 40.

Most of the time i give simple orders during briefing, and the shift goes as smootly as any other round.

"You have a really bad habit of not delegating tasks"

That mostly depends on the feeling i get at roundstart, i always check the crew manifest and start sending check ins to the departments, engineering, medical, req and tactics to check how active they are.

When OTs or the CE is very active, i have nothing to worry about, but when they arent, i try to send a few more orders before delegating task to either my SOs (which is counter intuitive since their job as important as yours, being the first link between squad and the CIC bubble) or i'll go myself.

This issue has only risen recently due to multiple times being caugh with my pants down with no warhead loaded on the orbital cannon, and i hope it will improve as time goes on.

"You don’t need to do that as XO but give orders out and rely on your men until they prove they can’t be relied on and swap them out with someone you can"

Believe me, thats literally my last resort.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've noticed as observer and as SO/squaddie that you've been talking a bunch with squads in regards to giving them feed back like "You got this." or "Nice work, lads." I haven't noticed your character as an XO before your application was made, so I can't judge whether it is a result of the app or if you've been this communicative before too. Anyway, it's a good thing. Unfortunately, I've also noticed really meme-y/LRP communications from you, an example attached as a thumbnail. Things like that make a character, especially a CO, RP-wise really unbelievable and kinda dumb. Personally that's not a CO I would put my trust in.

Last edited by ExGame; 03-20-2022 at 03:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was hilarious, even the CO i was playing with admitted it.

But yes, i think most people are unaware of me because i tend to avoid high pop, i always try to answer every question or give attention to everyone, even the average PFC, communication is one of the most interesting aspects of this game for me, and be able to relay good information or make people aware of their deeds has always been part of me.

(Edited a typo)
    Last edited by Damous; 03-20-2022 at 08:03 PM.

Developer & CO Senator (Major General) naut's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, we've given you a fair bit of time to prove yourself in this regard, and unfortunately the CO Council hasn't seen enough of you in action to gauge your abilities accurately, and judging from the community feedback you've received, you still have a long way to go anyway. Give it some time, maybe you should continue racking up leadership rounds and try to get yourself more known in the community and work on criticisms given to you by everyone else here.

That being said, I'm afraid this app has been denied. You can reapply in 30 days on April 27.
    Major General / Colonel Samantha 'Sammy' Maverick
    Colonel Chris 'Topher' Lawson
    Synthetic Tara

CO Senator (as of 3-19-21)
    ̶D̶e̶v̶e̶l̶o̶p̶e̶r̶ Maintainer (as of of 3-23-21)

I'm just someone trying her hardest to not get everyone horribly killed.

im an artist too! see my works at my art dump below
    //showthrea...aut-s-Art-Dump