0 Thread(s)

Ethan10000llahd - Commanding Officer Application

Commanding Officer Whitelist Application
    Personal Information

Byond ID?
    Ethan10000llahd

Player Name You Use Most?
    Ethan 'Crusader' Weiss

Make a list of links to all of your ban appeals as well as whitelist and staff applications (both accepted and denied) submitted within the past year. For appeals, provide an additional ban reason and the appeal’s verdict next to the link.
    //showthrea...ighlight=ethan (Reason- You were warned in SS13: Colonial Marines Official for: Several instances of transphobic coments on top of salting on staff decisions and clear indication that they're doing it to 'speedun' a discord ban. I would have considered this as another warning if it weren't for the comments that made me think you are doing this on purpose. We have a zero tolerance polic for racism and bigotry, as you alraedy knew. A ban will be applied, you can appeal it on the forum.) Verdict- Accepted

//showthrea...ighlight=ethan (Reason- Banned from Commander, Executive Officer, Staff Officer, Pilot Officer, Tank Crewman, Military Police, Corporate Liaison, Requisitions Officer, Chief Engineer, Chief Medical Officer, Chief MP - General Command Ban from alt accounts | Sat, September 8th of 2018 (this was issued upon my permaban appeal where I was given probation) ) Verdict- Accepted

Have you received any bans in the last month?
    No

What is your timezone in UTC?
    UTC-05

What is your discord username and handle?
    Chungor#0773 / Ethan 'Crusader' Weiss

Basic Questions & Story

What do you think is the job of a Commander?
    The job of the commander is to provide marines with round-influencing strategy and tactics that positively effect their gameplay, and making everything go smoothly, while also catering to the players that value shipside RP (especially so during events).

A commander should be focused on creating a fun round as his 1st priority, winning on his 2nd priority, and creating shipside RP as his 3rd.

The commanding officer is able to rally and organize marines much more efficiently, and is generally a beacon. A shipside commanding officer also deals with any ML issues that pop up and escalate too much, and delegates jobs to CIC in times of need.

They basically do the XO's job but with much more authority, versatility and consistency. This is how I view it in actual practice.

Why do you want to be a Commanding Officer?
    I want to be a Command Officer for multiple reasons. I'll break it down into the top 3.

#1- I like leading my marines to victory. It's really amazing when you can be attributed to a rounds victory by wrangling marines, and it gives a much more genuine feeling of overcoming a struggle as a team rather than just getting sick frags by yourself. The CO has the ability to influence the round with strategy that truly changes it, and has much more authority in doing said tactics. Combine this with legitimacy provided from the marines, and the power of skill, you have everything you need to lead.

#2- My friends are all getting CO. I've wanted to get CO because all my friends that I respect want CO as well, or have gotten it. It's become a sort of trial. This reason is obviously lesser than my #1, but I still feel its worth mentioning and putting honesty rather than trying to be entirely utopic in this application.

#3- I want to lead by example. Newer players that see some guy killing shit while also having authority are going to positively look up to him. I'm not going to hold back that I am one of the more robust CM players, but I want to be able to effect new players that way, just like avalanche and bobby did to me in 2016. It's one of the coolest feelings being able to look up to badasses fragging these huge monsters in a video game, and that's one of the huge charms of CM. Baldass RP and Badass RP. It's very healthy, and coupled with authority, I believe I can spread that influence to many new players and keep them in the game longer, if not as long as myself even.

Lets put the commanding back in commanding officer, Oorah!

Provide a short story of your Commanding Officer.
    A List of logs from Captain Weiss after his and 4 other notable commanders ships are shot down by (redacted)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

An extremely brief history of Ethan Weiss- https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Experience

How familiar are you with command positions?
    I'm really familiar with command positions, especially leadership rather than sitting at a console all day. I am also decent at consolework, but I believe I truly shine when given a chance to lead men side by side.

I can set up CIC, and even solo-run it. Yep, this means tacmaps, obs, and squads too.

I can also effectively organize marines on the ground, as far as carrying a losing operation into victory.

Approximately how many hours do you have as Executive Officer (XO) at the time of writing this application?
    31.9 https://gyazo.com/d3db28330b817021f32a6e92073c63ef - total hour list

(there are a bunch missing from the playtime update as I played a bunch of roles before playtimes got added)

How familiar are you with Department Head positions?
    I haven't played heads because I played XO, but I know exactly what they do and their roles.

CMP handles most if not all the ML during a round, delegating jobs to MPs, handling all the issues that arise.

CMO makes sure that medbay runs smoothly, training any newer docs or nurses, and generally manage medbay and research.

RO is basically the king of the ASRS, and can be counted on running req with the help of his CTs. He processes the logistical needs, approves the orders, delegates work to the CTs.

CE manages the MTs and can authorize ship modifications. They can also help build groundside if absolutely necessary.

How familiar are you with Marine Law and Standard Operating Procedure?
    I'm familiar, I have around 15 hours of total MP hours, and I've been tutored by some of the better knowledgeable ML savants.

Scenarios

When do you believe a Battlefield Execution should be used?
    I believe that a battlefield execution should be used in extreme cases. I do not take joy or even ego points from permanently removing a player from a round if they're on my team. Unless they are actively griefing, significantly hindering on purpose, or attacking me, I will allow them to explain themselves, and answer to ML instead.

Examples of this would include like a private is actively shooting up briefing.

Another example is someone has countermanded all my orders, and decided to leave with some of my men likely causing them to die as well and will not listen to warnings or better judgement, as well as being excessively hostile without any reasoning for these actions.

And of course, the last scenario is someone is actively trying to murder me.

I don't want to be one of the people who does a BE because its "funny lol" as that was abhorrent to me, and I used to be a victim of this myself.

I'd much rather the MPs make an arrest for a marine being stupid than BEing them if it got to that point.

I view this as an emergency tool.

Under what circumstances do you believe it is legal to pardon a prisoner?
    Of course, I cannot pardon capital crimes. As long as the criminal is apologetic, and is immediately essential to the operation, I will pardon them. Basically I would pardon anyone that would have a huge impact on saving a failing round, whether that be a doctor while marines need surgery and there's no alternatives, our last engineer on lowpop who we need to setup comms, or even a sl. I believe that maintaining the round flow is the most important thing possible, and if the person being pardoned realizes they fucked up and are essential, they have to be reintegrated into the round to save it. Likely the only crime I wouldn't pardon for regardless is of course, capital crimes, and then subterfuge.

Examples-
    I would pardon the only lowpop engi for something like dtgp or even assault since its essential he gets comms and fob up.

I would pardon the only doctor awake, especially if there are hugged people (this one I would likely do regardless of the crime unless its capital due to the sheer necessity)

I don't want to interfere with any valid arrests unless that arrest can absolutely end up ruining the game itself.

I also view this as an emergency tool.

Confirmations

Have you read the Code of Conduct?
    Yes

Have you read the application process page?
    Yes

Do you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

Do you understand you cannot advertise or promote this application on any platform, including Discord?
    Yes

Do you also understand that you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I’ve played along side with Ethan for many rounds, extremely good groundside commander. A decent enough CiCer.

+1
    Drake Manwell the Trying Marine

Whitelisted Predator johnravioli's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A shining example of what some good XOs can be. He makes up plans on the fly and doesn't rely on the meta. Ethan here has XO'd under me about...I think 8 times, and all times were major victories. Highpop and Lowpop too. It's good to have this player in the CiC and on the battlefield with. Also based for putting me in his story (nobody calls me sexbomb)

BIG +1
    Harry Howard,
    Predator - Clan Leader Atuudh Bo'ytill
    Leader of the Bo'ytill Clan

Professional Mateba GunSlingah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've played under him as SL, and a normal marine before and on both experiences when Ethan was in CIC or combat deployed I can attest to them being very efficient and good at both relaying information and being capable in combat. Would be an amazing addition to the growing CO WL, and the story is quite nice. +1.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I won't be saying anything about his combat skills, everyone knows the dudes a legend in that area. I will talk about his command skills. The dude is just as good at commanding as he is PBing runners. He has confidence in what he does, understand what a marine likes, and doesn't like. Has the respect of most marines, and can inspire them to follow him into the pits of hell. My mans valid at the cookout
    +1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The person's note history is concerning in terms of behavior. It is concerning to see what the person has done and what it could lead to for representing our whitelist.

However, I've seen Ethan around for a very long time, even before I left CM for a while. We're barely acquainted, but they stand out very much. I've seen them for a while, in and out of the game. He seems like he's a great person from what I've noticed while they play IC and speak on the discord. This player has seen what he wants to do and has improved on himself with that goal in mind, regardless of what his past may have shown. It is also within my understanding that Ethan has years of experience in combat, but that comes to question their tactics. I've only battled under their command while they were XO a few rounds, but they almost captivate me with their abilities and how little I see them. They have been playing SO a lot assumingly when they could not get their XO roll, and I've noticed them out of any other SO in the past month.

Their commanding is very straightforward to understand and their orders aren't confusing. I don't know their communicative abilities, as I don't have many IC interactions with them. But I'm CERTAIN they would make a great Major regardless. You will be the hero that CM needs and I hope that we get to see you on board! Good luck! <o/ +1
    Major Amber Walsh, Exceptional Leader

Spoiler Spoiler:

Za'Kul, Foolish Hunter
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You had a bumpy past, but you've CLEARLY made an effort to have fun within the rules both ingame and on discord. Your CMP jobban appeal and lack of notes on either place in the past ~6 months reflects that. It's not always easy to reform yourself, and I respect that.

Besides that I've never had issues with your ingame conduct, you play to win.

+1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had Ethan as my XO during one of his previous command grind phases months ago. I was really impressed with Ethan's ability to lead the operation, and this feeling continued during the many other times I've seen them in CIC. I'm really looking forward to seeing Ethan's contributions to the whitelist.

Welcome to the Third Fleet. +1
    Tyrus 'Shoeless' Jackson (Moderately Competent)
    TOT, Formerly TO-T0 (HRP Xeno)

GhostGhost360#7429 on Discord

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    proud of u lad for finally applying, funny story too. Ethans been a super great commander both shipside and groundside from what i've seen of him, and he has the right intentions with the role. Big +1 from me, don't get the M46C nerfed please

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the easiest +1's I have had to give. The man is a born leader. Both from CIC and the front.