0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NewOriginalSchwann - Synthetic Application

Synthetic Whitelist Application
    Byond ID?
    NewOriginalSchwann

Marine Name
    Hasna Messoudi (Doctor), Dane Waldron (MT), Claire Pascal (squad engineer), Aleksandra "Alek" Szostak (SO), Magdalena �Mags� Hlawiczka (XO)

Name/Designation of the Synth Character you wish to play
    Yin

Are you familiar with the Synthetic Programming and Guidelines?
    I have read through the programming and guidelines multiple times and have repeatedly asked (and received) clarification on minutia on the Discord. I believe myself to be familiar with the rules, and have helped provide clarification to others at times.

Synthetic Character Story
    The story is included in the link below. I owe thanks to Vampmare for proofreading it and hope it lacks the (mildly) embarrassing Google Docs errors of the initial draft.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

How do you intend to play your Synth?
    I intend to play Yin as a synth based around mentoring and teaching others. Far too often in the somewhat hectic environments of the average Colonial Marines round I see people new to support roles get left behind. New doctors that mess up a surgery and go SSD, engineers that have no idea how to fortify a FOB or stare blankly at a broken APC, people unaware multiple larva can be in a patient, and MTs that struggle to load the orbital cannon are just a few examples of this. Oftentimes I want to teach these people but am too busy myself to do so, or simply in the wrong role. It is highly frustrating to have to sit by and attempt to teach a new or struggling doctor surgery in LOOC as a staff officer, or to see poorly constructed FOB fortifications as XO and be unable to directly do anything to fix the situation. Being a synth focused around tutoring would allow me to help out newer players in a variety of roles, both on the ship and on the planet (or station).

How familiar are you with support roles? (ie; Medical, MT, Science, SO)
    � Engineering: I can operate the P-5000, load an orbital bombardment, load dropships for CAS or transport, replace an APC�s battery, rebuild an APC, build effective barriers, repair the tank, rearm the tank, scavenge metal shipside, shock doors to serve as traps, fix the perpetually-broken S-52 generators, set up all SMES units, repair floodlights, build and destroy walls, build an effective FOB, establish fortifications to protect an advance (or retreat), yell at a PFC to fill sandbags, set up emplaced weapons, and not blow myself up when refueling a welding torch. I�ve been playing maintenance tech less in favor of instead playing medical (which tends to be more active and engaged) and combat engineer, but still know how to perform the duties of a shipside engineer. I can also hack vendors effectively, though this is mostly outside the realm of duties for a synth (and, in the case of vendors aboard the Almayer, illegal).
    � Medical: While I am still a somewhat new addition to the Almayer�s medical team I understand all surgeries (they�re not that hard, truthfully) and how to treat most conceivable ailments marines come down with, from overdoses on various medications to ever-present shattered chests with internal bleeding and embedded rifle shrapnel. I can operate the autodoc, easily perform multiple surgeries in one sweep (my current standing record is four in one go: broken bone repair, organ repair, foreign object removal (M39 AP shrapnel), and internal bleeding surgery on a poor marine�s chest), utilize the triage system, and set up the medical wing before seriously wounded marines start arriving.
    � Chemistry: If I had to state what my weakest support area is, it would probably be chemistry. However I still understand how chemistry works and how to make the usual healing medications that combat medics ask for - just at a slightly slower pace than some others. I am somewhat unfamiliar with the more exotic medications, and will probably have to utilize the wiki if somebody comes and asks for paracetamol (I generally refuse to acknowledge it exists, considering what it makes when combined with tramadol) or ryetalyn. I know all common overdose limits for common medications.
    � Research: Is in kind of an odd spot right now. Until its rework comes through they just feel like designated chemists that get to RP more than the doctors, who essentially live in the ORs. For what it�s worth I know how to shove xenomorph corpses into containment, which has become one of the major duties of the researcher in DEFCON.
    � Command Roles: I have played SO, XO, TC, and PO. I understand how the overwatch consoles work and how to properly fly a transport dropship. I have a good idea of how the flow of an engagement with xenomorphs works on a macro level and can effectively overwatch one or more squads. This is, perhaps, one of my strongest roles.
    � Requisitions: A role I have played very little, requisitions has been no trouble for me to handle when I have been assigned to assist them as XO or SO. I can easily manage two lines if I have to, and understand that marines riot when they don�t get their attachies. I am somewhat new to the updated ASRS system, but do not see this as being a major problem.
    � Marine Law: While I have not played a great deal of MP (it�s a thankless job) I, as someone who spends a great deal of time in the CIC, know marine law well enough to not unintentionally break it. Additionally, I understand that synths cannot process prisoners.

Why should we whitelist you?
    While not the most robust person alive I am a decent player that attempts to roleplay when I can. I always attempt to create roleplaying moments: from talking with a PFC in a checkpoint in Lambada�s caves about how scared we both were to goofing off in the req queue to actually speaking with my fellow doctors instead of blankly staring at a wall waiting for friendly fire victims to asking the PFC where the worm in his chest had come from, I have always sought interaction with other players when I am able to do so. I believe that, if I am to get a synthetic whitelist, I will be able to create new roleplaying opportunities for marines, xenomorphs, and predators while being able to assist and teach others.

Have you been banned from CM in the last month for any reason?
    No. I have never been banned from CM. Additionally I have no outstanding jobbans, nor have I ever had one.

Are you currently banned from any other servers and if so, why?
    I am not banned from any other server, nor have I ever been intentionally banned (I was caught in an automatic ban on Bay12 Station due to a version error).

Do you understand that any player - donor or otherwise - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our rules or the Synthetic Programming Guideline?
    Yes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, got a few questions for you.

1 - There's an engineer that doesn't know how to build stuff properly, sentries, for example. How would you approach him ICly?

2 - You're at the medbay, how would you know that a Doctor needs your aid? Are you allowed to perform surgeries without proper clearance or emergency?

3 - Why do you want to be a synth?

4 - You're the synthetic survivor, are you allowed to help the xenos? Do you know the Yautja language?

5 - In what situations is it ok to leave a department and go assist other?
    Marine: Mel Kim
    Captain: Mel Kim
    Synth: Yuki
    Mentor: 12/13/2018 - 02/07/2019 -> TrialMod: 02/07/2019 - 02/22/2019-> Moderator: 02/22/2019 - 01/xx/2020

Ex-term 3 synthetic councillor.

Junior Member NewOriginalSchwann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1). I would approach him, greet him politely, and ask if he needed assistance. If he replied yes, I would ask if he wanted me to demonstrate how to set up/fix/repair/etc whatever he is struggling with. If he replies yes to this, I have found that stating what each step is while doing each step has been very effective (this is also how I've taught new surgeons). If he refuses assistance I would walk away from the situation - somebody who doesn't want to learn isn't going to be forced into it.

2). In my experience new doctors in medbay have generally seemed to understand that it's a high-pressure job and will often ask for help at the start of the round. If they haven't asked for help the telltale signs I've come to recognize are very slow surgeries (often with pauses between steps or taking improper tools out), surgeries that are incomplete/done improperly, giving the wrong chemicals/the wrong dosages of chemicals, or patients given improper triage (though in the hectic environment of medical this can sometimes be a simple accident). In a non-emergency situation the synthetic should ask the CMO or aCO before jumping into an OR to perform surgeries. In a perfect world medical has enough qualified doctors to man all the operating theaters, and the synth's unannounced presence in one would leave a doctor with nothing to do (and be quite rude, frankly). In the event of an emergency (i.e. unattended marine shaking on the floor or gasping due to a ruptured lung) the synthetic is allowed to perform the medical task following law one.

3). To put it simply I want to play as a synth because I like the idea of being one. I have always liked synthetics as a concept - a perfectly logical being often found in illogical environments that walks a tightrope between human and inhuman. Being the synth offers me the ability to be a participant and create interesting roleplay scenarios for myself and others. I've found, in my experience, that people are more willing to reciprocate RP when a synthetic is present as whitelisted roles carry a certain amount of clout with them - a synth is seen, on some level, as having proven themselves both mechanically and as an RPer. Like other applicants I also want the whitelist for its unique mechanical position in CM: being able to do everything effectively means I have the freedom to assist struggling departments across the vessel, from CIC at the bow of the ship to lower engineering in its stern.

4). The colony synthetic is, under no circumstances, to assist the xenomorphs as this would lead to a law one violation for Working Joes. If captured, the survivor synth is not to assist in the creation of more xenomorphs (i.e. treating/reviving captured marines) even at the cost of their own life. Colony synthetics, while able to speak (hiss?) and understand the xenomorph language, do not know the Yautja language in-character. Were predators to be present when I was a survivor synth, I would attempt to RP slowly learning the language while interacting with them as I have seen other synths do.

5). If the department is performing effectively without or with minimal assistance from the synth they may leave to assist another department. This is not free reign to ignore orders, and synthetics are advised to use their judgement when leaving a department. Personally, I would also inform the departmental head (or acting departmental head) over the command frequency, and the department as a whole over their channel, before departing.
    Last edited by NewOriginalSchwann; 02-25-2019 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Expanding slightly on #1 now that I've read it over again.
    A player with too many character names.

Also I play Yin, the synthetic.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This story, if you'd ask me is REALLY well written as well as being enjoyable to read and most importantly has a good chunk of dialogue with your synth. Seriously though, I found myself getting quite immersed in this one.

The quirk is unique and something that gives your synth quite a likeable character, as well as being something I don't see any problem with in terms of working ingame.

And your answers to Pedros questions look completely fine to me. Only concern I have with this application is the amount of different marine characters you play. It can be pretty hard to get a reliable reputation even with just ONE character, and with this many its really difficult since your activity is spread out on so many different characters.

Despite that, I feel the quality of the application itself definetely earns you a chance and therefore you have my 1+
    Last edited by 4000daniel1; 02-26-2019 at 01:05 AM.
    Max Judge, the 45 year old slightly fat man with an unfitting action hero name.

Fred, the worrisome synth.

Junior Member NewOriginalSchwann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4000daniel1 View Post
    This story, if you'd ask me is REALLY well written as well as being enjoyable to read and most importantly has a good chunk of dialogue with your synth. Seriously though, I found myself getting quite immersed in this one.

The quirk is unique and something that gives your synth quite a likeable character, as well as being something I don't see any problem with in terms of working ingame.

And your answers to Pedros questions look completely fine to me. Only concern I have with this application is the amount of different marine characters you play. It can be pretty hard to get a reliable reputation even with just ONE character, and with this many its really difficult since your activity is spread out on so many different characters.

Despite that, I feel the quality of the application itself definetely earns you a chance and therefore you have my 1+
    Thank you, it's nice to hear that the story has been received well. In regards to the multitude of names I use that's just always how I've played games - I find it helps me get a multitude of perspectives and I can see how people interact with me as different characters. Anyways, thank you for the +1!
    A player with too many character names.

Also I play Yin, the synthetic.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enjoyed the story and can vouch for their competence in medical. I'll also gladly teach you around chemistry so you don't fall short there. Just ping me on discord or ask me ingame next time you see me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had no issues with the characters, even with ze exaggerated unintelligibeul banteur from Pasceul. Story is quite enjoyable to read. For what it's worth, I give it a +1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, there's a +1 for ya. The story is great, same for the quirk, you did answer my questions as well. +1
    Marine: Mel Kim
    Captain: Mel Kim
    Synth: Yuki
    Mentor: 12/13/2018 - 02/07/2019 -> TrialMod: 02/07/2019 - 02/22/2019-> Moderator: 02/22/2019 - 01/xx/2020

Ex-term 3 synthetic councillor.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I obviously don't have a synth whitelist, so I can't entirely speak to the quality of the story/gimmick (although both look good to me); however, as a CO who has to deal with these buckets-of-bolts on a daily basis, I think Yin would be a great addition to the synth whitelist.

I've had the opportunity to engage with Schwann on many occasions, spread throughout their different many characters. They've never failed to impress me with every role they've thrown themselves into. They have the RP chops, the competency, and the maturity to take on the synth role with relative ease. Bottom line is they're an all-around great player, both IC and OOC.

Easy +1. Hope to see Yin added to your ever-growing character roster soon.
    Trial Moderator: 4/18/19 - 5/2/19 / Moderator: 5/3/19 - 10/1/19 / Senior Moderator: 10/2/19 - 12/26/19 / Trial Admin: 12/27/19 - 1/11/20 / Mod Manager: 1/12/20 - 4/18/20

Cerwick/Balakura/etc
    Discord: noah#7322

Former staff member and long-time CO Council member, now I just wave my boomer cane at people when I want something to complain about.

Synthetic Council Member Jakkkk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do you have so many characters?
    Synthetic Senator