0 Thread(s)

Phenomeus - Commanding Officer Application

Commanding Officer Whitelist Application
    Personal Information

Byond ID?
    Phenomeus

Player Name You Use Most?
    James Parker

Make a list of links to all of your ban appeals as well as whitelist and staff applications (both accepted and denied) submitted within the past year. For appeals, provide an additional ban reason and the appeal’s verdict next to the link.
    n/a

Have you received any bans in the last month?
    No

What is your timezone in UTC?
    UTC+01

What is your discord username and handle?
    MasterChief#2060 / Phenomeus – James Parker

Basic Questions & Story

What do you think is the job of a Commander?
    Commander is the ultimate authority in the unit, but with great power comes great responsibility. Commander’s job is to win the operation. Commander’s responsibilities include planning the operation, making sure every department is working as seamlessly as possible, setting the tone for the round (which I consider making it fun for everyone involved), creating cohesion for marines, and providing morale. Demoralized Commander is worse than any opponent marines can have.

Why do you want to be a Commanding Officer?
    I do enjoy playing XO a lot, and becoming CO is just a natural progression. CO has a lot more authority for the basically same job, and there were a lot of moments I wished I was CO and not XO which would have worked in the benefit of the marines and the operation. XO feels very toothless compared to the authority CO enjoys.

Provide a short story of your Commanding Officer.
    Captain James Parker preparing for the operation that is ahead.
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Experience

How familiar are you with command positions?
    I currently have 160 hours on XO role, 94.2 hours on SO role and 347 hours on SL role.

Having played a lot of XO, SO and SL, I am very confident in my ability to lead and organize the marines. From being a lone CIC member a lot of times to leading marines on the ground I have accumulated a lot of experience during my time on this server.

Approximately how many hours do you have as Executive Officer (XO) at the time of writing this application?
    How familiar are you with Department Head positions?
    Department Heads are basically overseers of their own departments, having the ultimate authority in their department except the Commander themselves. Every Department Head has their own section in SOP over their rights and responsibilities.

While I knew what their job was, I have played all of the Department Head positions so I can get firsthand experience.
    CMP – 40.2 hours
    CMO – 12 hours
    CE – 1.3 hours
    RO – 1.2 hours

How familiar are you with Marine Law and Standard Operating Procedure?
    Having 40.2 hours on CMP, 17.2 hours on MP, 5.1 hours on MP Cadet, 3.3 hours on Warden, not counting XO and other Department Heads, I am really acquainted with Marine Law and Standard Operating Procedure.

Scenarios

When do you believe a Battlefield Execution should be used?
    While I would not like to permanently remove anyone from the round, during my long time as an XO player, there were few times where I wished I could have Battlefield Executed someone.

Moment number 1 – I was holding a briefing and an unruly marine was hitting people with a chair. There were no MPs in the game so I ordered them to stop, they refused, I just disarmed them and they shanked me with a knife. If I was CO I would have Battlefield Executed them on the spot.

Moment number 2 – We were about to execute MT for jailbreaking several times, his friends busted in, killed CMP and MP firing squad who was about to shoot the convict, if I was CO I would have Battlefield Executed them, because I was attending the execution.

Moment number 3 – This one was not a threat to my character’s life but I want to provide a moment where I would have used BE for something a bit different. I was a lone CIC member, writing an announcement on my command tablet, and here comes Mess Sergeant, disarming me, taking my tablet from me while I was typing the announcement, then refusing to give it back when I ordered him to, running away from me in the CIC. First he might have created a big danger for the operation since I was watching the ground, and I might have given some very important order on the announcement, then he refused to give it back when he was ordered, running around and provoking me, if I was CO instead of XO I would have just pulled out Matheba or Desert Eagle and be done with it.

So to recap, capital crimes (except insanity – only Synth or CMO can declare someone insane and it’s not a ground for any kind of execution) that I have witnessed or case of major insubordination or countermanding my orders would have me use Battlefield Execution.

Under what circumstances do you believe it is legal to pardon a prisoner?
    Any criminal who committed capital crime cannot be pardoned, only those who committed major and minor crimes. It should not be used lightly, and CO who pardoned a marine who repeats the crime can end up behind bars themselves.

Situation where I would use them would be only if the marine who I am pardoning is very vital for the operation, and is apologetic about it. Just because someone is vital should not be the reason to have the free out-of-jail card but sometimes operation comes first.

Some examples where I would have used a Pardon.

Example number 1 – Lone Medic in the entire ship is arrested for wearing a paper hat, operation comes first and I would have changed SOP on the head wear for that round, but if that same Medic does it again knowingly the next round, I would not pardon them again.

Example number 2 – Lone Engineer in the entire ship is arrested for major DTGP because he hacked a few doors to take something he deemed important for the operation. If that same engineer player does it again the next round I would not pardon them again.

Example number 3 – Spec is arrested for DASO against someone. If it was a clearly light-hearted joke that someone reinterpreted as DASO I would pardon them, but if the Spec was toxic and out of his way to insult that person they wouldn't get my pardon. Being spec is no excuse to be toxic.

I would also pardon someone who was forgiven by their victim, but only if they are crucial to the operation like mentioned before.

Confirmations

Have you read the Code of Conduct?
    Yes

Have you read the application process page?
    Yes

Do you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

Do you understand you cannot advertise or promote this application on any platform, including Discord?
    Yes

Do you also understand that you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    James is a solid guy. SO with him many a time easy +1

Whitelisted Predator Waseemq1235's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Played XO with him as SO under me multiple times. Parker has exceptional CiC skills, and was equally effective as a deployed SO too. I can say I'm jealous! I can effectively say that I'd love to see him as a CO.

Definitely a huge +1

Whitelisted Captain
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, that's gotta be the easiest -1 I've ever given so far. In the story your character just refused to sign CLs paper. That's a massive faux pas. A proper CO would burn the paper instead!

Anyway, just joking. I've noticed a couple of awkward phrases in the story, but otherwise it's pretty decent.

Now, lets talk about your BE answers:
    In situation 2 you can gun down those people without being a CO, since that falls under self-defense and defense of others in the marine law.
    BEing in situation 3 may get you in trouble, since the BEd person would try to spin it that he was not a major enough threat to be BE-worthy.

Other than that, generally good and, importantly, experience infused answers.

I've seen you as SL and you're quite good at it. I've also seen you as XO quite a few times, but sadly I could never observe you closely enough or the operation was too easy to properly test your command skills. But they seem to be at least somewhat decent.

Now a couple of questions. Can you elaborate more on the situations where you would wish you were a CO and not XO, apart from the whole BE thing? How would your CO rounds be different from you XO-in-command rounds?
    Roman 'Fire' Kacew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey sg2002, thank you for providing me with a constructive feedback. I will try to answer your questions and provide some insights on the BE answers with the best of my abilities.

I agree with the BE situation 2, it is a pretty safe answer and i was debating between putting this and a similar one, but the thing is with situation number 2, while i did gun them down, they proved to be a threat even in prison before they could be executed, with battlefield execution they would be removed from the round before they could make any move against MP department and CIC.

Situation number 3, as you have said, the person might have attempted to spin it as not enough major threat to be BE-worthy, but i have few counterpoints to this. First of all i was alone in the CIC, i had no interactions with this person before the incident, after all their entire job was to prepare food for the marines. They come to the CIC for no other reason then to mess around with the command, they probably tried to push me down instead of trying to take a tablet, but since i was watching the ground, i noticed too late that my tablet was taken because i attempted to announce something on it and i couldnt. Even though there was no threat to the life of my character, i would argue this as an actual griefing for trying to harrass the command personnel and disrupt the operation for no other reason because it was fun for that person. I never recovered the tablet in that round.

Now, about your question to elaborate about wishing i was CO and not XO, well i could provide one example, marines were pushing the death choke in the lambda instead of trying to flank from north caves, since i can claim i know maps pretty well by now, if i was CO i would deploy and rally the squad leaders on me and would have attempted the flank myself which would have saved the operation, since what happened was marines trying to hammer down that same choke over and over again until they ran out of manpower, even though i attempted to organise the flank from my announcement. The gist of this is, CO is a powerful tool on the ground same as a Queen thats off ovi. Ability to organise marines and provide cohesion in certain moments can turn the losing round into the winning one. Also leading marines personally by having squad leaders rallied on me going through non-meta directions to provide an ambush on the unsuspecting Xenos because marines and squad leaders usually default to going into meta directions, yes i know squad leaders are OOC bound to follow the orders but half of them only know the regular meta pathing, and would get lost if left on their own devices which happens a lot.

And how would my CO rounds be different from XO ones? Well, for starters, i would not have CO who could countermand my orders since i would be the ultimate authority on the ship. CO does tend to have lot more gravitas then XO. I would not do wacky stuff for the sake of being different, but i would have the ability to do more varied deployments and utilise them myself, i would love to do some much more non-meta deployments since as i mentioned in my answer before this one, marines default to meta stuff pretty regularly and deployed CO could shake it up a bit. Ofcourse i would only deploy if i wanted to do something different in the round or if marines need a cohesion and need to pull a flank that without authority figure on the ground they could not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So while I enjoy your character and have no personal problems with you or your command style, I do have to bring up one thing. Your attitude to marines that don't listen to CIC. While it's frustrating for every command player to have these, you engage with arguments or break down and stop giving orders if marines don't listen. The worst case I saw was you arguing with marines, blaming them, then stopped communicating with them besides a few announcements.

CO has a lot more authority for the basically same job, and there were a lot of moments I wished I was CO and not XO which would have worked in the benefit of the marines and the operation
    Just because you get the fancy rank and gun, doesn't mean marines will listen to you. Unless you have charisma or a rep with marines, they'll usually ignore you. You're not entirely wrong though, a CO can set the round, and a negative or frustrated CO is not what people want.

I'm extremely close to a +1 if I see some change

I want to hear from you personally, not "I'll do this when I get CO", what you will start doing now. I'll be watching you in game even more as well to see if you improve

I just want to point out you're a fantastic XO and command player, don't get demotivated (I just got this whitelist a while ago, my opinion means nothing) and this is only one flaw.

UPDATE: Changed to a +1 !!!!!!! after playing a recent round with them. I did see improvement, and they care more about the operation than anything.

Good luck bro
    Last edited by Sandvich; 04-04-2022 at 12:40 AM. Reason: fixed quote

Whitelisted Predator johnravioli's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm gonna be real with you, I have no problem with you being on this whitelist. Everytime you were my XO, you were nothing but good, and thats awesome. It's a good feeling to know that I got a good XO that I can trust my operation in when I drop dead. Alright, here's your prestigious +1, Godspeed
    Harry Howard,
    Predator - Clan Leader Atuudh Bo'ytill
    Leader of the Bo'ytill Clan

Professional Mateba GunSlingah

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 he’s a good XO player with a lot of experience, just remember that your personal relationship with your marines is more important than your rank boards for getting them to follow orders.
    Synth Gaming

Whitelisted Captain
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Satisfactory answers. Good communication skills, willing to play SO and is good at it.

One problem I see is that your character is a little bit bland(yeah, I know, that coming from me), so ideally you want to find something that would differentiate you(and your rounds) from other COs, just being a good officer is really important, but that's not the entire deal.

+1 from me.
    Roman 'Fire' Kacew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandvich View Post
    So while I enjoy your character and have no personal problems with you or your command style, I do have to bring up one thing. Your attitude to marines that don't listen to CIC. While it's frustrating for every command player to have these, you engage with arguments or break down and stop giving orders if marines don't listen. The worst case I saw was you arguing with marines, blaming them, then stopped communicating with them besides a few announcements.

Just because you get the fancy rank and gun, doesn't mean marines will listen to you. Unless you have charisma or a rep with marines, they'll usually ignore you. You're not entirely wrong though, a CO can set the round, and a negative or frustrated CO is not what people want.

-1 as for now cause no neutrals allowed.

I'm extremely close to a +1 if I see some change

I want to hear from you personally, not "I'll do this when I get CO", what you will start doing now. I'll be watching you in game even more as well to see if you improve

I just want to point out you're a fantastic XO and command player, don't get demotivated (I just got this whitelist a while ago, my opinion means nothing) and this is only one flaw.
    Hey Sandvich, thank you for the feedback, few people pointed this out to me, and i am taking it to the heart. Positive communication and relation with marines does make all the difference. I hope i will change your mind.