Thread: Me luv IO's please bring back IO's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me luv IO's please bring back IO's

I have enough of Larping as IO's

pls bring them back

i have 1 dollar i pay (just let me play IO)

Whitelisted Predator Waseemq1235's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do agree, IO's brought some variety and secondary objectives for marines.

What IO's were really good for though is solving long-ass rounds that aren't progressing in any way. It provided xenos with a threat in long rounds.

The problem is, IO's had a tendency to go out alone and die, which isn't exactly ideal for anyone. It'd be great if IO's got their own squad (echo??)
    In any case, IO's were a lovely role and I'd love to have them back. Researchers are also shit without them now.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waseemq1235 View Post
    snip
    It is clearly wrong.
    IO's weren't good in solving long rounds, because if a round was long 9/10 times it was benos sieging FoB and not being able to break into. And this means that marines were trapped in FoB where IO's couldn't do shit.
    You could count number of rounds where IO's achieved nuke without admeme help and it actually helped marines on fingers of your one hand.

The only way IO's could work would be a completly separate Z level where only IO's, few marines and few xenos have access to, so that events groundside doesn't interfere with intelligence gathering. Then and only then extended FoB sieges could be resolved by IO's. Otherwise they were completly useless outside of being glorified PFC who gathered stuff for researches. At this point just give PFC research notes detector and let them search it on their own.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    It is clearly wrong.
    IO's weren't good in solving long rounds, because if a round was long 9/10 times it was benos sieging FoB and not being able to break into. And this means that marines were trapped in FoB where IO's couldn't do shit.
    You could count number of rounds where IO's achieved nuke without admeme help and it actually helped marines on fingers of your one hand.

The only way IO's could work would be a completly separate Z level where only IO's, few marines and few xenos have access to, so that events groundside doesn't interfere with intelligence gathering. Then and only then extended FoB sieges could be resolved by IO's. Otherwise they were completly useless outside of being glorified PFC who gathered stuff for researches. At this point just give PFC research notes detector and let them search it on their own.
    I have to disagree, not every slow match is going to be a fob siege. That is all.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BellyMaster View Post
    I have to disagree, not every slow match is going to be a fob siege. That is all.
    I never said every slow match is a fob siege. 9/10 it is, the rest is when marines have the upper hand, but benos camp hard in caves chokepoint, so its just fob siege, but beno fob instead of marine one.
    If benos menage to break the siege of their hive, then its 100% unfair for them when IO's had a lot of time to gather intel without even a single runner bothering them, so the prize for pulling out a skillfull play (or marines killing themselfs) is marines having a nuke they plaster with 10 rows of cades and every possible sentry in the corner of a map.

So IO's were busted no matter what.

Imagine xeno IO, marines are holding FoB siege, 10/20/30 minutes of siege, but they pull out a miracle and break it by pushing benos back. But ooops! Xeno IO just gathered enough intel for xeno nuke, so better run asap to the furthest corner of a cave to disarm it, but oh, only CO can, there is shitton of walls and labyrinths that are defended by xenos.
    Last edited by CABAL; 04-03-2022 at 12:12 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mhmmm being rewarded for camping FOB

Whitelisted Predator ChainsawMullet's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never said every slow match is a fob siege. 9/10 it is, the rest is when marines have the upper hand, but benos camp hard in caves chokepoint, so its just fob siege, but beno fob instead of marine one.
    If benos menage to break the siege of their hive, then its 100% unfair for them when IO's had a lot of time to gather intel without even a single runner bothering them, so the prize for pulling out a skillfull play (or marines killing themselfs) is marines having a nuke they plaster with 10 rows of cades and every possible sentry in the corner of a map.

So IO's were busted no matter what.

Imagine xeno IO, marines are holding FoB siege, 10/20/30 minutes of siege, but they pull out a miracle and break it by pushing benos back. But ooops! Xeno IO just gathered enough intel for xeno nuke, so better run asap to the furthest corner of a cave to disarm it, but oh, only CO can, there is shitton of walls and labyrinths that are defended by xenos.
    Nuke to me seems like it should be admin only. Anyway, I would rather it be something like getting randomized techweb rewards, and maybe just give xenos something like a drone strain that can take like 5 minutes and revive any xeno, at the cost of killing themselves and respawning as a larva, like a acid runner. This would give xenos a comeback mechanic when they are down to t1s, while would be a waste if you dont have alot of dead xenos corpses, as you will spend more time looking for a body than you will reviving. That or a drone strain that allows themselves to reanimate themselves in to another xeno, at the price of like 1/10 of the xenos base hp and slash being lost, and gibbing the next time it dies nomater what.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BellyMaster View Post
    snip
    Its not about the nuke, but the whole concept of IOs and nuke being the ultimate prize. No matter what else the gift from IOs will be, it will always be gift for someone who doesn't need it. As mentioned before, IOs have the easiest job when marines are already steamrolling and their job is impossible to do when marines are getting steamrolled. This should be other way around.

To illustrate it better:
    a) Marines push xenos and stop at the cave chokepoints as per usuall. Every intel/corpse/whatever on the map is free real estate for IO's, at best there might be some sweaty runner running around, trying to get kills on meaningless lone marines, while he should help on the frontlines. In that situation IOs gather fuckton of intel, but marines don't need, or deserve it. They don't need it if they steamroll xenos without it, they don't deserve it if they got pushed back from initial steamroll. The only good thing that comes from it (even in the shittiest of options, there are some positives) is that xenos are punished for cave hugging (act of retreating to caves in order to bait marine mindless rush while still having good chunk of combat xenos unharmed, when there is no need) and thats it.

b) Xenos push marines and stop at FoB as per usuall. IOs are incapable of leaving FoB, so incapable of gathering any intel. Marines need and usually deserve fuckton on intel now as they are on their back feet in this situation, yet they can't get any.

c) Fairly equal fight, frontline somewhere in the middle of the map, probably the best case scenario for IOs as a concept, various ambush castes roam the map, so gathering intel is an effort. But even in this scenario IOs are still kinda unfair for xenos. If both marines and xenos fight equally, IOs gathering intel and killing ambush castes helps marines, thus uppseting the balance. Many would argue that this state of fighting in the middle of a map (not a chokepoint, kind of a back and forth) for quite some time is the best combat experience. On the other hand xenos stopping intel gathering and killing IOs doesn't help xenos in any way, it just stops marines from getting additional help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    snip
    The nice thing about such a modular game, is that balance can be achieved through modifying countless variables. For instance, if we want to make a fair roaming mechanic where both sides get rewarded, make IOs a capable of being returned to hive dead, and pooled for larva + a small perma buff to all t1 xenos, maybe 5 or 10 armor, not enough to matter in many cases, but enough to matter when it comes to skirmishing, while perhaps marines would have some of thier current thing (heavy revo, M2C, Flamers) locked behind getting intel, that they can then have shipped down once the threat level of the xenos is realized. This would help in two cases. With fire being crazy strong, and M2C being a deathbeam, and heavy revo allowing for permastun, it would slightly nerf the DPS and general hellpush that happens at fog drop, while allowing marines to get access to these tools later. Perhaps even make M2C a cheap, buyable req item, maybe 500 points each, same for flamer, as a reward for IOs working. It wouldnt really change the matches that much, but it would create a scenario where marines stronger tools are limited until they do some roaming in to other areas. Yeah, some maps like LV would be pretty meaningless for IOs, as they are simply too small, unless the intel is put in the cave cabin or caves or something, but big red, dam, and Fiorina would all create good opportunities for xenos and IOs to fight away from the mainlines. And realistically, the goal with IOs should not be to buff the shit out of either side, it should be to add in flavor to the matches, to make marines and xenos want to do something other than to play this game like CSGO, camping chokes for 2 hours.