User Tag List

Thread: aceroy - Developer Application (Coder)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

aceroy - Developer Application (Coder)

Developer Application
    Byond ID?
    aceroy

Age?

Gender?
    Male

How would you define yourself? (Coder, Mapper, Spriter):
    Coder

If Coder, what languages?
    2 years of c#, and a year of Java

Any previous experience developing with SS13?
    No.

Proof of any previous or current work:
    How well do you know Git?
    I haven't used it in any official projects, but I have created a few tests to see how branching works.

Your primary job is server development, not policing the server. You may be given Moderator-level of access but you should *not* be invoking any administrative actions unless there are no moderators or Admins online. Do you understand?
    Yes

Anything else you'd like to add?
    Just that I am a quick learner and my patience with debugging is extreme. I've looked at the dml, but saw no need to really learn it. And like I said, learning it will more than likely prove to not be difficult.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are the current problems with game balance in your opinion, and how would you solve the biggest ones?

Are you more interested in refactors, or balance?
    Last edited by MattAtlas; 02-26-2019 at 07:52 PM.
    Resident ex-punished Junior Developer and Coder, and ex three-time member of the Yautja Council, two-time member of the Synth Council.

See with your eyes, my army of flies, when no one's alive...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I think that the marines are the ones with complete advantage on paper, however the skill floor of the marines is significantly higher than that of the xenos. The probelm I see is that the skill floors for xenos are much lower than those for marines. That was however fixed with the mutator update, normally no one want's to play defender or sentinel, but when the mutator update rolled around a larger population of players would stick to t1 xenos. This was helpful because the higher tier castes are much harder, for different reasons, and being able to survive more really benefited the new player, which there have been a lot of recently. Backstory finished I think that a mechanic to alleviate the marine skill floor would be to use a mutator system but for marines. It would be accessed in the character creator and it would slightly buff a stat or two and possibly debuff a stat, something to lower the overall skill floor of the marines. Personally That's my solution. I understand why the question is asked but I honestly feel like the dev team has a great understanding on how to balance the game. I hadn't really thought about game balance since I got better at the game. CM has a high skill floor even by SS13 standards, and once you get past it the game is fairly well balanced. But the skill floor is honestly, to me, the root of all problems.

Definitely more interested in balances. Especially QOL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To elaborate on the Human mutator system. The idea would be like this. A characteristic that makes the person slightly slower, but as a benefit they take slightly less brute damage. A characteristic that makes their threshold for fractures higher but take more burn damage. A characteristic that allows marines to throw farther, but their accuracy with fire arms is lower. This is just a rough idea.

Another problem I see is that Ravager doesn't feel all that unique for a t3 xenos. I made a post to the git talking about a possible rework to make it feel like a true front line xeno and not just a beefy lurker. There I outlined a solution to the rng of the delimb system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, we've had a look at your app and we don't particularly think it proves us enough about your ability to code. DM isn't an easy language so we'd like some tangible proof of your coding abilities.

Do you have any source code of your programs that you could show us?
    Resident ex-punished Junior Developer and Coder, and ex three-time member of the Yautja Council, two-time member of the Synth Council.

See with your eyes, my army of flies, when no one's alive...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the code from project 1, here is the respective youtube link, and project 2, here is its respective youtube link.

If this is not enough I have another project. My first project that was over 500 lines of code long, and was my very first project I had made from scratch,here is the youtube link to it., was on my old hard drive that failed and I am looking at getting it recovered. If these sources are not enough, I would like to have that project looked at before I get denied.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think what Matt was trying to ask you was for some proof of your ability to code in DreamMaker.

We aren't exactly looking to take on anyone that has no prior experience in DreamMaker development, considering the potential differences from DM to other languages.
    If you're able to take another codebase and implement some sort of small-scale feature to show off your ability to understand DM it would go a long way.

Thanks.

Head Ukraine
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi.

Unfortunately, we found your level of skill in DM lacking. I was also not satisfied in your current level of knowledge on .net platform and c# in particular so I can't include you in my CM sub projects

Do not worry tho, as everything comes with time. Spend more time practicing DM or C# and write an application again.

Thanks for your time,

As of this application you are denied