Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Geeves - Synthetic Application

Dev Team Manager Stan_albatross's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Engineering question time.

Q1 - what's wrong with this FOB and why? what needs to be changed to make it effective?

3 iq.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/wReefL2.png

Q2 - in what situations is placing barricades on the frontline a bad idea, and why? give a few examples.

Q3 - in your experience, what is the most frequent way that FOBs on Kutjevo LZ1 are breached or fall?

Q4 - in the event of the shuttle being hijacked, how would you fortify lifeboats for defense?

regards to rest of application

- quirk is unique, not been done before and I'm engaged by the idea. I think it will easily offer a lot of opportunities for RP with marines, and as such is really good.

- story is great, dialogue is what we want to see in a story and yours provided a lot, and really gave me a good idea of how your synth will act in-game.

- combat question, no issues here

- answers to foxyshibata's questions - crate is good, only thing I would change is adding fire extinguishers and torches but that's just my style as RO. For the APC, you need to take off the floor tile in front of it to remove the cables, and step 14 is not needed.

- answers to brad's questions - very much so, and since bravos often can't finish the fob in time you'll definitely be needed down there. other answer is good.
    Karl Karlsson, the man (and sometimes Captain)
    Maxwell, the synth
    Enhath'vot Guan-Dha, the predator
    Also a feature Coder & CM's Maintainer Team Manager

Timeline :
    Spoiler Spoiler:

[CENTER]Retired Synth councilman, forever a member of IO gang

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heyo, thanks for the compliments and advice, FOB question, and other questions, I have been vibrating in excitement for this day.

Q1: I'm going to answer this as if I've just deployed as a synth and I need to make some rapid alterations that doesn't involve deconstructing the whole FOB. Here's my map. https://imgur.com/a/bL3WXP8

The ][ sandbags got removed. It doesn't block bullets (I double checked on test server), but both take damage at the same time, nullifying the effect it'd have in the first place. If you really want to buff up the cades, it'd be better to do ] ], though the sandbags will take some bullets if you don't stand flush with the cades, both won't take damage at the same time, giving you that buffer of protection.

The cadeline in the middle left was raised because any APC driver making a hasty retreat into the FOB would run over the line and cause major problems, additionally, it just causes some wonky flow and forces vehicles to make odd turns the moment they get in.

The cadeline to the top right connecting to the wall has been pulled back slightly, as you couldn't really shoot at any xenos if you were behind the cadeline obscured by the wall. Pretty clear cut.

Just south of that, the plasteel cade was removed and moved to the left, connecting to the middle cadeline bit. That opening has no real reason to exist, as there's a three tile "door" just two tiles to the south. Having too many odd entrances just causes confusion and congestion. Whereas at the middle, it makes it easier to shift from the middle bit to the east bit without a detour to the south.

Lastly, flash-cloning technology was used to create more Bravo marines, as lowpop Bravo squad tends to get decimated when lurkergang awakens from their slumber.

Q2: Marine pushes live and die by the wave. Much like an actual wave, it loses power when it can't move easily, such as when a wall juts out and blocks its path. (Not to be confused with a funnel, which increases pressure, which unfortunately does not get simulated in this atmos sim.) When you make frontline cades, be very careful not to constrict the flow of the wave that's behind you, otherwise marines instantly transform into their cadehugging variants and xenos get a chance to recover.

For an example, I've seen this happen tons of times when marines breach into central caves. A brave comtech will run ahead and place down some cades, impeding the flow of angry ungas, giving the xenos just enough time to strike back and retake the entrance.

Additionally, be very careful about putting cades BEHIND marines that are pushing ahead of you. One time, an engineer tried fortifying a hallway with a folding cade on SciAnnex. When two ravs and a prime warrior started pushing on my squad, I ordered a retreat. Straight into an airlock barred by a folding cade. The only way over was leaping over the broken window. Very few marines survived......

In short: Flow is important. Wide entrances are good for both APCs and ungas.

Q3: Here's a map of what I usually see happen, and what I usually default to doing when I rarely go queen. https://imgur.com/a/XxjnxJX

The xenos bash the fuck out of the northern side, which draws the ungaball to the north, which is HEAVILY fortified, usually with up to three or four cadelines between the structure there and the dropship. Several RTOs storm there to get CAS to blow them to hell and back, which is fun and all. Meanwhile, the queen and an elite squad of probably one or two lurkers and a boiler start bashing the south-east, which is held together by a single line of scrap metal and old gum, defended by a single bravo PVT.

LZ1 would probably hold for much longer if it has better fortifications and a couple marines with HPRs checking the south and south-east flank.

Q4: Time and time again I see marines valiantly defending lifeboats, only to be ruined by a clever xeno that tunnels through the walls. Well, what if we tunneled through first...?
    https://imgur.com/a/kizBXre

From left to right sandbags are placed flush to the wall, as xenos will likely to try melt it down and break through. This provides some defense from that move. The double door plasteel cades enable flow for marines coming and going in the Almayer fight, while saving on plasteel. (If the APC is alive, either use three cades or tell them to fuck off because APCs always ruin lifeboat holds.)

The six walls on either side of the room are removed. While it takes more metal to cover them with cades, xenos ALWAYS skirt past defenses by melting those walls. Even if they don't, it creates a small pocket for them to hide in, making it easier for them to skirmish the defenses, giving the engineers less time to repair cades.

I notice now that you can replace those four plasteel cades (two on either side) with three ones in the center, but I had infinite plasteel and I'm an aesthetic monkey. Adapt the pattern to the amount of resources and ADHD you have at that moment.

The final line of defense, the desperation hold. This wraps around the airlocks into the lifeboats, and incorporates the wall for boiler defense. We don't care that those walls are meltable. If xenos get to that point, you're already boned.

Dev Team Manager Stan_albatross's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Q1 - efficient and quick alterations, didn't fall into the trap of making massive modifications to let lurkers in and correctly identified all the mistakes. A clear experienced fobbit.
    Q2 - yep, wide entrances are a must to let the ungaball through, and if engineers artificially make a one tile choke it will RUIN the push
    Q3 - yeah, main xeno forces pressure the north from behind the ample cover there while the queen and some others will flank or move around the entire hive. Usually worthwhile having more than one cadeline south on kutjevo. This shows you know what happens on all the most frequently played maps.
    Q4 - good defence, an effective and common strategy I see in most rounds. As synth you can also take out the walls with a breaching hammer without taking the risk of c4ing a sleepy marine. You forget one thing however - the APC can't get onto the top deck anyway lol.

All in all, it's clear you're a great engi and the rest of the app is awesome. No reason not to give the big +1gus
    Karl Karlsson, the man (and sometimes Captain)
    Maxwell, the synth
    Enhath'vot Guan-Dha, the predator
    Also a feature Coder & CM's Maintainer Team Manager

Timeline :
    Spoiler Spoiler:

[CENTER]Retired Synth councilman, forever a member of IO gang

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not much to say, Geeves is a legend. +1 from me

Synthetic Council Member Yukonsnow's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done, no issues with your initial app. All the questions by other players was answered very well and I think your quirk is very workable. You have plenty of vouches for being a skilled online gamer so I have no concerns.

An easy +1 from me.
    gaming

Discord: Yukonsnow#7186

Synthetic Technician Dan, message me about any Synthetic WL questions, I'll help as best I can.

Synthetic Council Member Jakkkk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great application and your responses to the questions were satisfactory. This application is accepted. Good luck!
    Synthetic Senator