User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Observations About POs Post-Fire Missions and a Serious Suggestion

Whitelisted Captain FGRSentinel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's someone who's either unwilling to adapt to the new system and unwilling to let anyone know that they won't use it (in which case they really shouldn't be playing PO) or they're doing it deliberately, which shows they shouldn't be PO at all.
    Retired CO Councilor (Winter 2019-Spring 2020, Winter 2020-Spring 2021)

Goddard Pearsall, the Pilot that (almost) always has Souto

Unofficial source of help for new/inexperienced POs. Message me here or on Discord if you'd like advise on anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bitching about getting CASed twice in the same spot by the same guy aside, I'm gonna throw my own opinion out here:
    The new system can be a little tricky, and we shouldn't be surprised that people are fucking it up when it's still relatively new. The fact that the laser cam doesn't work in some spots where CAS can still fire is pretty unhelpful, too, although I know that's by design. The new system is attracting some better players to the PO role, and it's certainly a lot more engaging than it was previously. It also sees more use due to the dedicated JTAC channel and kits.

HOWEVER, There's still 2 main problems I can see with the PO role. First and foremost, obviously, is Transport Duty. It's boring and nobody wants to do it, and it is done by the exact same role that does CAS. I've been checking available roles a few minutes after roundstart regularly since the CAS rework and I swear in like, 90% of rounds, you will see 2 available PO spots because the guys who didn't manage to call dibs on CAS immediately run and cryo. Understandably so, because Transport PO is pretty dull. We've been over that, though, and I know the devs are aware so I won't bang on about it further in this post.

The second problem is this: Caves. Every map except Prison station(and maybe Trijent?, I don't know) has extensive cave systems which are largely CASproof. They are also dark, full of weird rock formations that can be used as cover, have lots of nasty blind corners, and are too small for the tank to fit through. They are, in short, the xeno element. That's where they want to be. Fair enough. The problem is: they're too big. On all 3 of these maps, the cave formations are enormous. Due to their size, the xenos are easily capable of just staying in them for most of the round(or at least, the part of the round where fighting happens). There's no strategic consideration to be had when retreating into the caves because there is so much cave to retreat into that there's very little danger of running out of space and getting trapped, especially because they generally are at least semi-circular in nature and lack dead ends to get trapped in. As such, if the xenos don't instantly crush the marines in the first engagement, they retreat into the caves(or just stay there from the very beginning). After they retreat, the marines must follow them. This includes the Scout, SLs, and JTACs, because nobody wants to sit around outside doing nothing for the whole round. So they follow, and generally the marines either win and kill the xenos in the caves, or most of the people capable of calling in CAS get killed or are too busy running for their lives to call anything. Thus, the CAS PO problem from earlier remains: it may be a complex and interesting and fun job, but most of the fight takes place in the caves where CAS can't reach, so a lot of the round still involves just sitting there waiting around for CAS calls that never come in.

At this point, I think the only solution for the second one is just remove most of the cave roofs on LV and Big Red. Have them be open canyons rather than actual caves. Leave some impenetrable cave roofs for the deep caves so that the xenos are able to shelter wounded and nest in them, but don't let those areas be large enough for the xenos to force the entire round's fighting to take place in them.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CAS can actually hit underground, just not deep underground. Last I heard, most of Big Red's cave system is actually fair game for CAS if the PO knows what to do and JTACs on the ball.

Unofficial source of help for new/inexperienced POs. Message me here or on Discord if you'd like advise on anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right now POs have minor Tank syndrome.

Tank syndrome is when a new role is introduced that seems really fun/cool, so lots of people set it to high. Subsequently, the chances of getting said role twice in a row are very low. Thus the only people getting the role are people who've only played it a few times, and are thus very bald.

It's not as bad as with the actual tank, which is why I say it's minor tank syndrome.

There are two solutions to tank syndrome: make the role less fun/accessible or wait for people to start to learn to play the role.

On the subject of FO, could it be 'vehicle officer' or something similar, and include tank/possible future APC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So recently I've been a JTAC main. It can be very fun and rewarding but legit 75-80% of all CAS PO's are bald as fuck and will make your experience hell as JTAC. That wouldnt be that bad if they'd atleast listen to others but some just show a complete lack of willingness to learn/adapt. Both of my videos that were posted by FGR you can check both spots via the inbuilt camera (no you dont need a laser detector) because they are both in the open (Yes even the one in the "cave" but its actually in the open, you can check it yourself) If PO's then fire BLINDLY and without being called in that should be 100% punishable. The PO in the second vid actually pulled shit like that multiple times allready and I strongly considered not going JTAC that round just because I recognized his name and the shit he previously did.

Yes being a PO and learning the way how firemissions work can be confusing at first, especially as a non native speaker like me. But if players just ignore the wiki/advice from other players then they should be punished for shit like that because FF via CAS is now easily avoidable by clicking literally one button.

FF'ing because bad JTAC guidance or due to fog of war for either the JTAC or CAS happens and is understandable. FF'ing when the JTAC told you to do a firemission with 12 offset east and you just fire via the old way ontop of the flare is not

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not extend that to make it a Bay Manager, could be a LtCmdr in charge of the hangar, dropships, and tank, plus any new vehicles added, and the powerloaders, their job would be to manage all the vehicles and keep greytiders out of the hangar, as well as being the person who leads defenses against anyone hijacking and boarding the almayer through the hangar (like in HvH events), and as well teach new vehicle operators, manage hangar/vehicle supplies, and relay orders from on high to cut through the crap

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kooarbiter View Post
    Why not extend that to make it a Bay Manager, could be a LtCmdr in charge of the hangar, dropships, and tank, plus any new vehicles added, and the powerloaders, their job would be to manage all the vehicles and keep greytiders out of the hangar, as well as being the person who leads defenses against anyone hijacking and boarding the almayer through the hangar (like in HvH events), and as well teach new vehicle operators, manage hangar/vehicle supplies, and relay orders from on high to cut through the crap
    You could honestly just give this job to the CE, he typically doesn't have that much to do right now beyond firing up the engines and loading the OB. Letting him take charge of the POs and TCs and giving him some kinda Tank Overwatch Console would give him more to do and it at least kind of makes sense that, as the Chief Engineer, he would be in charge of the vehicles.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Except that the CE's main workplace is on the exact opposite side of the ship as the hangar where the POs are and it'd be a pain if there's no MTs for him/her to both babysit the more childish POs and make sure his/her assignments (if any given) to be upheld while also setting up the reactors. Because of how some POs are, there actually needs to be someone in the hangar to oversee them and make sure they do what they're told. Most don't even care what you say or do, if they call dibs on CAS you'd probably have to get CIC and the MPs involved to remove them, and CIC sure as hell won't be paying enough attention to care.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FGRSentinel View Post
    Except that the CE's main workplace is on the exact opposite side of the ship as the hangar where the POs are and it'd be a pain if there's no MTs for him/her to both babysit the more childish POs and make sure his/her assignments (if any given) to be upheld while also setting up the reactors. Because of how some POs are, there actually needs to be someone in the hangar to oversee them and make sure they do what they're told. Most don't even care what you say or do, if they call dibs on CAS you'd probably have to get CIC and the MPs involved to remove them, and CIC sure as hell won't be paying enough attention to care.
    Just get an MT to handle the reactor, they really have fuck-all else to do. As for handling the POs: give the CE a console where he can revoke launch authorization for POs who aren't listening to him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dauntasa View Post
    Just get an MT to handle the reactor, they really have fuck-all else to do. As for handling the POs: give the CE a console where he can revoke launch authorization for POs who aren't listening to him.
    Yes, command definitely needs more functions to control POs and the dropships. Right now, it's a trek to manage random launches and POs who are unresponsive while using the dropship.