User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Approaching Balance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Approaching Balance

I think people take a very shotgun approach to balance and don't really look at it in a formulaic way.
    A general lesson I've learned from a lot of games is that anything which instantly kills you, or is heavily randomized, is not very fun. There's generally nothing that you can do on your own part that would've changed the outcome, so it becomes frustrating.

In regards to damage, there's what I call "Ideal DPS" and this is what a lot of people mistakenly balance around, under the general miconception that the only variables in dealing damage is something like (damage per hit * hits per time unit) vs the hitpoints of the target.

e.g. 10 damage per hit, 1 hit per second = 10 DPS. Against a target with 10 HP, you should kill them in 1 second.

But that's not how it actually works.
    You have to HIT. You have to take accuracy into account, and furthermore, when you deal 10 damage in a hit to something with 10 hp, that isn't 1 second of damage, that is instant damage. That is an instant-kill. So in the above example, you can actually have a fight end instantly, or last minutes. This is the oft-ignored portion of damage application: Accuracy and mobility; can you hit them, and can they avoid being hit? This is what actually makes combat systems fun. Nobody cares about playing cookie clicker; it's this accuracy vs mobility thing where individual skill comes into play and everything becomes interesting and challenging.

Another example: In air-to-air dogfights, the challenge/fun is not in spending 3 minutes shooting the ass-end of another plane until it finally falls apart. You spend maybe 2 or 3 seconds shooting another plane, but the previous 2-5 minutes spent maneuvering into/jockeying for that position where you can almost instantly destroy the plane. If you had to maneuver for 3 minutes and then hit them for 3 minutes, it'd be retarded. From a gameplay perspective it wouldn't be fun. You'd never score any kills, or if you did it would be in only the most contrived ways, like - "wow this guy is such a colossal fuckup of gargantuan proportions".

So while instant kills are bad, so too is a Time-To-Kill that is too long.

In relation to Colonial Marines, with Xeno Mutators there was a LOT of that last example, where shooting a xeno only resulted in a kill if the xeno player in question was a colossal fuckup of gargantuan proportions. Thankfully balance has improved since then, but I wanted to offer some advice on how to approach future balancing so that it's more fun for everyone involved.

For example on how I would begin to approach balance - Collecting statistical data for the various weapons in the game - how often does an M41 bullet hit a particular xeno caste vs how many bullets have been fired at that xeno caste (probably this data doesn't even exist), and at what ranges? For example. If your average marine is only hitting 20% of his bullets at 5 tiles, then an argument like, "just hit two burst (of 6 bullets) its easy bro" really breaks down to "Just shoot him 30 times" (and how long does it take to pull the trigger that many times?). The reality is that hitting 6+ bullets on a xeno is not actually easy. They move around, you don't get perfect bursts, and a good hit often requires being at very short ranges. The ticks in byond are inconsistent as well, so you can't assume someone will fire at exactly every allowable tick.

So the reality of Time-To-Kill (TTK) in ss13 is a breakdown of the Bullets-To-Kill (e.g. hitpoints), the speed someone can actually fire that many bullets, and the general accuracy/mobility of the players involved.

TTK = (HP / (Damage * Time Unit * Accuracy%))

Let's take a contrived example: How long can a runner stay alive surrounded by marines, compared to a defender? I think you'll find in most cases that the runner actually lives longer, despite having lower health than the defender does, and this is because the runner is fast and very hard to hit, especially when you risk friendly firing other marines and for a relatively unimportant target.

To finally get to what I've been leading up to:
    Damage application needs to be carefully balanced not just in pure mathetmatical DPS vs HP sense, but also with mobility and accuracy taken into account (and at various distances) as well. If you try to balance the game under the assumption that 100% of bullets will hit, you will not end up with TTK values that make sense: If a crusher can take 20 seconds of sustained gunfire from an M41, you can reasonably expect that in actual practice in-game it will take over a minute due to inconsistent ticks, improperly aimed shots, and a crusher that isn't a retard standing still.

I'd like to add that when it comes to instant-kills, it's a good idea where possible to give the would-be-victim some ways to mitigate/avoid the instant kill in a controllable way. I think the best example of this being done well in CM so far is with combat hugging. The recent change that requires marines to be prone hasn't removed the instant-kill factor of combat hugging, but HAS made it more difficult to pull off the instant-kill, and given marines better options to avoid it. In this way there is more of a dance/maneuver which involves some skill on both sides. Whereas previously it was "I clicked you, now you're dead". Similarly, PB shotguns, while frustrating, can still be mitigated by identifying shotgun users and maintaining distance with them - thus there's counterplay. CAS is another example with some counterplay involved.

Examples where there isn't much counterplay at all, are the Tank's LTB and the SADAR, or the Queen's screech and neurospit.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boersgard View Post

I'd like to add that when it comes to instant-kills, it's a good idea where possible to give the would-be-victim some ways to mitigate/avoid the instant kill in a controllable way. I think the best example of this being done well in CM so far is with combat hugging. The recent change that requires marines to be prone hasn't removed the instant-kill factor of combat hugging, but HAS made it more difficult to pull off the instant-kill, and given marines better options to avoid it. In this way there is more of a dance/maneuver which involves some skill on both sides. Whereas previously it was "I clicked you, now you're dead". Similarly, PB shotguns, while frustrating, can still be mitigated by identifying shotgun users and maintaining distance with them - thus there's counterplay. CAS is another example with some counterplay involved.

Examples where there isn't much counterplay at all, are the Tank's LTB and the SADAR, or the Queen's screech and neurospit.
    Combat hugging isn't an instant kill. If you are alone and get hugged AND they beat you to death it still takes time even if you have no way of fighting back. But if you are in that situation then who cares you are stupid and deserve to die. In every other situation someone else can defend you or they don't even kill you then you can spend the rest of your time trying to break out and fight back. It is in no way an instant kill. Its just a stun. Same thing with neuro and queen screech its just a stun what happens after the stun still isn't instant and has counter play from your teammates or you if you don't die before the stun is over. Sadar and LTB literally kills you instantly. You are removed from the game the instant you get hit by them. Its not even close to neuro/screech/getting hugged.

What I find really funny though is that you say " Similarly, PB shotguns, while frustrating, can still be mitigated by identifying shotgun users and maintaining distance with them - thus there's counterplay." Well guess what you can do with a drone running at you while you have a fucking ranged weapon and he doesn't. Certain xenos have no ranged option so they HAVE to go into the danger zone with a shotgun (especially since wield delay was removed). Not to mention you cant even tell if the shotgun is using buckshot, flechette or slug until they shoot at you which completely changes the way you will engage for every one of those.

Head Ukraine
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestion. All of that is already taken into account.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterShakeEZ View Post
    What I find really funny though is that you say " Similarly, PB shotguns, while frustrating, can still be mitigated by identifying shotgun users and maintaining distance with them - thus there's counterplay." Well guess what you can do with a drone running at you while you have a fucking ranged weapon and he doesn't.
    Not to mention there's no sprite indicator for the masterkey UBS, which annoyingly can only take buckshot.

A counterpoint to that is, with I'd say 60% of players they'll fire off buckshot as soon as a target is within 5 or 6 tiles (4 being it's maximum range, 2 tiles being the danger zone) and if you've got room to maneuver you can just count how many shots they've fired and whittle them down until they have to reload. Only really works on lone marines though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Combat hugging isn't an instant kill. If you are alone and get hugged AND they beat you to death it still takes time even if you have no way of fighting back. But if you are in that situation then who cares you are stupid and deserve to die. In every other situation someone else can defend you or they don't even kill you then you can spend the rest of your time trying to break out and fight back. It is in no way an instant kill. Its just a stun. Same thing with neuro and queen screech its just a stun what happens after the stun still isn't instant and has counter play from your teammates or you if you don't die before the stun is over. Sadar and LTB literally kills you instantly. You are removed from the game the instant you get hit by them. Its not even close to neuro/screech/getting hugged.
    I assume you haven�t been stunlocked by a sentinel/spitter and slashed to death with no way of fighting back because the little CD the spit has, the duration the stun lasts and the fact you move slow when you�re getting up of such stun.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I find really funny though is that you say " Similarly, PB shotguns, while frustrating, can still be mitigated by identifying shotgun users and maintaining distance with them - thus there's counterplay." Well guess what you can do with a drone running at you while you have a fucking ranged weapon and he doesn't. Certain xenos have no ranged option so they HAVE to go into the danger zone with a shotgun (especially since wield delay was removed). Not to mention you cant even tell if the shotgun is using buckshot, flechette or slug until they shoot at you which completely changes the way you will engage for every one of those.
    It was one click instastun and in this game even a short stun have a high chance be your last since benos with four brain cells drags you away with a speed of sound.
    How would you call this situation: You are "pointman" PFC, because somebody has to be first, closest to benos. Preatorian comes from darkness, tanks all dmg, neuro you, then runner comes from darkness and drags your sorry ass offscreen, while you are getting gangbanged by other benos.
    Did you could do anything to avoid such situation? Hide behind other marines? Then some other marine will have to take your place. Marines will never move in American Civil War formation.
    What about situation with Queen Screech that works nearly the same?
    What about Elder Drone (69) with frenzy pheromones and hugger in hand (before nerf)? Before you can react, click! And you are stunned, then ctrl+click and you are dragged away with stun that last minutes. And what benos can do? Just risk killing captured host, by slashing him to crit, we don't want to have anyone escaping custody, since it's sooooooooo easy to escape from nest. If you are not rocking the shotgun, you have no chances, if you have slugs and you missed (should I point out that slug shotguns have ridiculous spread and can shoot up to 30 degrees from targetted click), then you are as good as dead. If you have buckshot, if you will shot too early, you are as good as dead.
    If you have Pulse Rifle, then you don't have enough DPS to kill that drone, even if he is charging in straight line. Flamer? Beno has to just strafe one tile and now he don't have to drag you all back, just into the fire.
    What if it was Carrier? Despite being T2, shotguns can't stun him, so there is even less counterplay for it.

Right now, only PB buckshot can put beno in crit from full health, other than that will stun for a tick, or two. Take the advice you gave marines: "If you are alone and get PB'ed AND they beat you to death it still takes time even if you have no way of fighting back. But if you are in that situation then who cares you are stupid and deserve to die."

Don't work alone, have beno friends during ambushes. Just because there are more marines, it doesn't mean benos have to be alone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PB buckshot is kind of lame, but when I get fucked over by it, it's my own fault, every time. I can mitigate it by keeping my range and engaging with abilities that put the buckshot at a disadvantage, like pounce, lunge, or neurospit.

I wish more marine weapons were unforgiving like buckshot is. Flamethrowers are weaksauce, M41 and M39 laughable (well, M39 was actually very good and OP for a short while). Buckshot is one of the only marine weapons where I actually feel like I'm having some kind of skillful dance with the other guy and have to take more into consideration than get close and click him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boersgard View Post
    PB buckshot is kind of lame, but when I get fucked over by it, it's my own fault, every time. I can mitigate it by keeping my range and engaging with abilities that put the buckshot at a disadvantage, like pounce, lunge, or neurospit.

I wish more marine weapons were unforgiving like buckshot is. Flamethrowers are weaksauce, M41 and M39 laughable (well, M39 was actually very good and OP for a short while). Buckshot is one of the only marine weapons where I actually feel like I'm having some kind of skillful dance with the other guy and have to take more into consideration than get close and click him.
    If we're going to make marine weapons unforgiving for xenos then we should do the same for xenos. That is one slash will cut off most of a marines health. But I doubt that would be satisfying for anyone. Honestly I'd be all for both buckshot and nuero being removed. I think they both exemplify the worst parts of each teams play style.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate_bickie View Post
    If we're going to make marine weapons unforgiving for xenos then we should do the same for xenos. That is one slash will cut off most of a marines health. But I doubt that would be satisfying for anyone. Honestly I'd be all for both buckshot and nuero being removed. I think they both exemplify the worst parts of each teams play style.
    Why would you remove buckshot? It�s a fucking CQC pump ammunition. You need skills and timing to use it and even so you tend to fail (that�s why slugs were added). If you remove it then slug would need a buff and it would become the new buckshot but with range. It�s a cycle. Xenos have more speed, more stuns and more easy healing than marines so if you die to a marine with buckshot it was solely because he robusted you or you just fucked up badly. End of story

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heckenshutze View Post
    Why would you remove buckshot? It�s a fucking CQC pump ammunition. You need skills and timing to use it and even so you tend to fail (that�s why slugs were added). If you remove it then slug would need a buff and it would become the new buckshot but with range. It�s a cycle. Xenos have more speed, more stuns and more easy healing than marines so if you die to a marine with buckshot it was solely because he robusted you or you just fucked up badly. End of story
    Ya right buckshot takes no skill. Easiest thing in the entire game. Atleast neuro you have to aim and shoot where people are moving.