User Tag List

Thread: ShmunkMonk - Ban Appeal (Job/Role Ban)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ShmunkMonk - Ban Appeal (Job/Role Ban)

Ban Appeal
    Byond ID?
    ShmunkMonk
    Do you confirm you have read the Appeal Rules and that this appeal conforms to them?
    Yes
    Character Name?
    Pi'erre Valentine
    What is your discord tag? (If appealing a discord ban)
    -
    Type of Ban?
    Job/Role Ban
    What is your Bancode?
    N/A [10 characters]
    If jobban, which job are you appealing?
    Mess Technician
    Admin who banned you (if known)
    Silencer pl
    Total Ban Duration
    Forever
    Remaining Duration
    Forever
    What other servers do you play on?
    None
    Are you now or have you been banned on any servers? Which ones?
    No
    Do you play using a Virtual Machine?
    No
    Is your copy of Windows legitimate?
    Yes
    Do you connect using a VPN? If so, which provider?
    No.
    Reason for Ban
    "Extreme self antaging and acting bellow [sic] RP expectations - as a mess sgt started to set up multiple doors at round start 'in case MPs were after them' then at the flimsiest reason assaulted an MP, started to electrify multiple doors, took an MP hostage, then ended up killing them, stealing their ID and blowing up welder tanks in the brig. Admitted to purposefully self antaging in DM conversations. Due to the above a mess sgt jban will also be issued."
    Link to previous appeals for the same ban (if applicable):
    -
    Your appeal, including evidence (screenshots, etc). If you were in the wrong, explain what you did that was wrong, and describe how you have or will improve your behavior.
    I'm not here to argue that I acted perfectly during the round, or even that I didn't break any rules. But I do think that the note I got was harsh and misrepresentative of the situation, and that a mess technician jobban isn't necessarily deserved.

During this round, I planned on just making a bar in the kitchen and serving drinks, etc. I spent the first 50 minutes or so of this round replacing floors in the R&R area, getting the Booze-o-Mat from the CL, and obtaining certain chemicals for various drink recipes. The banning staff member said that I "started to set up multiple doors at round start 'in case MPs were after [me]'". This is referring to me attaching signalers to the bolt wires at the main and maintenance doors to the kitchen. Yes, that was to keep the MPs at bay in case they tried to arrest me for serving alcohol, but also to keep people out of the maintenance entrance because it's all access. I've also been experimenting with applications for door signalers, so that was another reason I wanted to use them. The banning admin seems to be suggesting that these signalers are evidence that I planned to self-antag from the start, but really all I wanted to do was play with door signalers and keep MPs away.

Keep in mind, my character was drunk the entire round. I know that can't be an end-all-be-all for poor roleplay, but it's how I was justifying some of my actions. Actions like "at the flimsiest reason [assaulting] an MP". This refers to when I broke a bottle over the head of an MP (the same MP that I interact with for the remainder of the round, and end up killing), who had hacked into the kitchen using the help of the MT Allen Diaz (who becomes relevant again during the round. Now, did I proceed to light him on fire? Sure. My bad. I'll concede that is rather poor roleplay, but I figured that this would stop him from stun-locking me with his taser, and to be fair, it did (also I just really wanted to test if that trick worked on this server). My reasoning for the rest of my actions during the round result from my thorough understanding of marine law and MP psychology, so I knew (or only thought I knew, who knows) that, if caught, I would be executed for attempted murder. So, I would do everything in my power to avoid getting caught.

Now, after I had fled from the kitchen I started shocking the doors immediately leading into the brig, making stun prods, and recruiting the aforementioned MT Allen Diaz to my effort against the MP department. Now, this is where I can see that I may have self-antagged, but I never "Admitted to purposefully self antaging in DM conversations," in fact I believe what I said was something to the effect of "I can see why you think that," but as far as I can recall I never admitted to it. I wasn't aware of the self-antag rule before the ban, mainly because it isn't in the rules at all. I figured that if there's a reason for MPs to exist at all, then there should be a reasonable extent to which one should be able to "self-antag." So as long as I don't break the griefing and roleplay rules, I don't really see the problem with giving MPs something to do.

At some point Allen and I had the opportunity to stun and detain the MP that I had been dealing with previously. We took him up the kitchen ladder, cuffed him to a chair, and stripped him. I was wondering if I was going too far at this point, but he seemed to be a good sport about it and I planned to release him soon after. At some point I leave and come back, and I'm pretty sure Allen helped him with this, but he starts shooting me on sight, killing Allen in the cross-fire but leaving me to empty a magazine into him. After this, I had a few minor firefights with the MW and CMP, only to give myself space to get away from their stun lasers. At some point, I hear over comms that the MPs had cut off someone's head, and of course I, the player, know it's bullshit, but I figured it was an interesting development in my characters battle with the MPs. This is how I justified freeing a prisoner from the brig and then blowing up that welder tank. It's at this point that I get bwoinked and put to sleep, and during this I get killed by a Molotov and put out of the round.

I started the round just wanting to serve drinks, and I guess I should've assumed that the MPs wouldn't really let that slide, so maybe I should've just allowed myself to be arrested. The rules don't really say in what circumstances you can defend yourself from being arrested, so I assumed that I was justified in resisting. I suppose everything just followed from there, and I guess I never really had an end goal in mind, I thought that the MPs would just get me at some point due to their superior numbers and weaponry, and it's not like I was trying to hide from them. If there's a problem with the roleplay justification of my actions, I'd understand that. I personally don't see it that way, but that's ultimately not for me to decide. I was only given a 3 hour time-ban after this, so I'm sure that the purported self-antagging I'm guilty of couldn't be that "extreme" as the banning admin describes in my note. Really all I want is for the note to be altered and for my jobban to be lifted. I haven't had problems before, and I was being respectful to the banning admin so I feel like the way the note described my actions came out of no where. I understand that moderating on a server with a staff-to-player ratio as low as CM must be stressful, so I don't blame them for not really giving me enough time to explain myself, but the note I got is super unfair and, as I'm sure that others could vouch, not representative of me as a player. And as for the jobban, I don't really see how it's necessary. I didn't abuse the powers of my role (e.g., gibbing the MP), and what I'm guilty of really could have been done with any other shipside position. The fact that I spent 50 minutes of the round trying to make a fun and unique roleplay scenario with my bar is a testament to why I should be able to keep the role. I love to play mess technician, and I love how much freedom you get to improvise gimmicks and roleplay with people, which is really what I come to this game for. I might've taken it too far during that round, but I'd really appreciate a second chance to play it.
    Do you understand that making low-effort appeals (short/does not address the issue/shitposts) may lead to immediate denial and/or other types of consequences?
    Yes

Senior Administrator and Mentor Overseer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aftter reviewing the logs for this. You started off by self antaging. Getting the funny drinks reagents, and then being worried mps would have an issue with it, is from the get go self antaging. Would i classify this bit as excessive and extreme, no, i would not, but it dose make this bit of the note accurate.

Setting the mp on fire, in 2 separate incidents i may add, i would describe as excessive especially in the first instance.

You then precede to heavily escalate for the rest of the round to an full on war. I would 100% describe this as extreme self antatging. You cant justify killing mps because you punched an mp for example, or that they may want to arrest you. To clarify, you can not kill an mp even if you are facing capital charges, not until you expressly know they will execute you rather than just perma just you, or unless they fire off lethals first.

I will say however that you did arguably have cause in regards to IE in kill the mp in the later shootout, tho given how of much that situation was escalated by you, i do feel that this still falls under excessive.

Mass blowing up the brig and releasing prisoner just cuz 'you hate mps', again, feels just like a flimsy excuse to self antag, and the actions you took in achieving it, were excessive.

Overall i feel like you have a very poor grasp on what the limits of escalation are, and where the bar is as to what even counts as antaging. While it is true that a lot of your actions are not in a vacuum and some attempts at rp were made, your intuition of scale for what is ok, proportional, and what even counts as antaging are so far off that i do feel the ban was is justified.

Overall Denied, You may appeal again in 30 days. I would also add the criteria that you should be able to show that you understand what is acceptable in terms of antaging and how to escalate things, rather than simply being note free.
    Trial Moderator: 2021-06-13 --- 2021-07-04
    Moderator: 2021-07-04 --- 2021-10-02
    Investigator: 2021-07-21 --- xxxx-xx-xx
    Trainer: 2021-08-20 --- xxxx-xx-xx
    Discord Staff: 2021-09-20 --- xxxx-xx-xx
    Senior Moderator: 2021-10-02 --- xxxx-xx-xx