Public Service Announcement: Weyland-Yutani is no longer in CM-SS13 canon

Locked
User avatar
FracturedAntler
Registered user
Posts: 58
Joined: 27 Jul 2018, 12:50
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Byond: FracturedAntler
Steam: Mr. Honkeytonk

Public Service Announcement: Weyland-Yutani is no longer in CM-SS13 canon

Post by FracturedAntler » 02 Aug 2018, 21:27

Why? Well, it's complicated. All I know is that there's a copyright issue with us using Weyland-Yutani in our game so it's slowly being phased out of the server.

Yeah, it's dumb. But it's just something we have to deal with. So, what do you call it then? The Company, Corporation, whatever. It's dumb, I'd prefer a real name for a company, but it does the job.

"But FracturedAntler, what can I do to help," you say?

Well thats quite simple, lil' Jimmy. See, there's a channel on our Discord named Wiki-Work, if you see something on our wiki that still talks about Weyland-Yutani, I'm sure our wonderful Wiki Managers will appreciate it.

But that's not all, is there something in the game that mentions Weyland-Yutani still? Odds are the devs already know about it (like the Weyland-Yutani logo that's still everywhere), but, if it's something minor that you think the devs could fix relatively easily? Check here if a bug report has already been made about it, and if one hasn't, take initiative!

So, next time your humble corporate liason is talking about 'The Company," don't be confused, that's just our stand-in for Weyland-Yutani so we don't get sued.

Regards,
[sign]

"It is I! Skycaptain Maximilian Valentine! Captain of the skies..."

Character Dossier

User avatar
taketheshot56
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 583
Joined: 04 Apr 2017, 01:33
Location: Safe in the CIC
Byond: taketheshot56

Re: Public Service Announcement: Weyland-Yutani is no longer in CM-SS13 canon

Post by taketheshot56 » 02 Aug 2018, 21:54

Im gonna call it Weyland Yutani, stop trying to Kill Wey Yu.
"I like to live in the present sir. The past is for pussies...and Airmen."

Part of the Commanders council. Pm me with your concerns loyal consituents.
Image

User avatar
FracturedAntler
Registered user
Posts: 58
Joined: 27 Jul 2018, 12:50
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Byond: FracturedAntler
Steam: Mr. Honkeytonk

Re: Public Service Announcement: Weyland-Yutani is no longer in CM-SS13 canon

Post by FracturedAntler » 02 Aug 2018, 21:59

taketheshot56 wrote:
02 Aug 2018, 21:54
Im gonna call it Weyland Yutani, stop trying to Kill Wey Yu.
Don't care.

"It is I! Skycaptain Maximilian Valentine! Captain of the skies..."

Character Dossier

User avatar
Steelpoint
Donor
Donor
Posts: 1432
Joined: 29 Jul 2015, 06:04
Byond: Steelpoint

Re: Public Service Announcement: Weyland-Yutani is no longer in CM-SS13 canon

Post by Steelpoint » 02 Aug 2018, 22:02

Just because the game is removing references to Weyland it does not suddenly mean people are going to stop using the name in game.

In the first Alien film, despite them being referred to as 'The Company' we all know that it is referring to Weyland Yutani. The same applies here.
This is war, survival is your responsibility.

Alan Bentway: Marine
Kwei Ikthya-de: Predator

User avatar
frozentsbgg
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
Posts: 99
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 11:22
Byond: frozentsbgg

Re: Public Service Announcement: Weyland-Yutani is no longer in CM-SS13 canon

Post by frozentsbgg » 02 Aug 2018, 22:07

Steelpoint wrote:
02 Aug 2018, 22:02
Just because the game is removing references to Weyland it does not suddenly mean people are going to stop using the name in game.

In the first Alien film, despite them being referred to as 'The Company' we all know that it is referring to Weyland Yutani. The same applies here.
Spot On.

User avatar
Westhybrid
Registered user
Posts: 374
Joined: 25 Jul 2015, 03:34
Location: San Francisco, CA
Byond: WestHybrid
Contact:

Re: Public Service Announcement: Weyland-Yutani is no longer in CM-SS13 canon

Post by Westhybrid » 02 Aug 2018, 22:10

Thanks for being the vanguard of shit we were already perfectly aware of a month ago.
Goes better with soup.

User avatar
FracturedAntler
Registered user
Posts: 58
Joined: 27 Jul 2018, 12:50
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Byond: FracturedAntler
Steam: Mr. Honkeytonk

Re: Public Service Announcement: Weyland-Yutani is no longer in CM-SS13 canon

Post by FracturedAntler » 02 Aug 2018, 22:15

Steelpoint wrote:
02 Aug 2018, 22:02
Just because the game is removing references to Weyland it does not suddenly mean people are going to stop using the name in game.

In the first Alien film, despite them being referred to as 'The Company' we all know that it is referring to Weyland Yutani. The same applies here.
Westhybrid wrote:
02 Aug 2018, 22:10
Thanks for being the vanguard of shit we were already perfectly aware of a month ago.
I'm aware that people will call it Weyland, and I still don't care what people say.

In your attempt on dunking on me you missed my point entirely, I made this post so people would help out removing mentions from Weyland from the wiki and the game.

And "something we were already perfectly aware of a month ago" was something I wasn't aware of until yesterday.

Channel your toxicity to something more creative.

"It is I! Skycaptain Maximilian Valentine! Captain of the skies..."

Character Dossier

User avatar
taketheshot56
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 583
Joined: 04 Apr 2017, 01:33
Location: Safe in the CIC
Byond: taketheshot56

Re: Public Service Announcement: Weyland-Yutani is no longer in CM-SS13 canon

Post by taketheshot56 » 02 Aug 2018, 22:23

FracturedAntler wrote:
02 Aug 2018, 22:15
I'm aware that people will call it Weyland, and I still don't care what people say.

In your attempt on dunking on me you missed my point entirely, I made this post so people would help out removing mentions from Weyland from the wiki and the game.

And "something we were already perfectly aware of a month ago" was something I wasn't aware of until yesterday.

Channel your toxicity to something more creative.
I think youve got it wrong pal. Weyland has been changed as much as FOX wants it changed. People dont wish to see it gone and your attempts at sponsoring further removal have undoubtedly struck a cord with some.

People dont wish to help you rebrand to "the company" because for all intents and purposes it is still Weyland Yutani.
"I like to live in the present sir. The past is for pussies...and Airmen."

Part of the Commanders council. Pm me with your concerns loyal consituents.
Image

User avatar
Westhybrid
Registered user
Posts: 374
Joined: 25 Jul 2015, 03:34
Location: San Francisco, CA
Byond: WestHybrid
Contact:

Re: Public Service Announcement: Weyland-Yutani is no longer in CM-SS13 canon

Post by Westhybrid » 02 Aug 2018, 22:25

FracturedAntler wrote:
02 Aug 2018, 22:15

Channel your toxicity to something more creative.
It's in my fucking bones. Sorry, I don't have an Etsy page to channel my vitriol into.

And how about instead of posting "PSAs" from your moral high-ground up there like you're our lawyer, and making proclamations about Roleplay Guidelines that aren't even official yet, you just spread the word in the Discord and call it a day.
Goes better with soup.

Grubstank
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 231
Joined: 21 May 2018, 15:40
Byond: Grubstank

Re: Public Service Announcement: Weyland-Yutani is no longer in CM-SS13 canon

Post by Grubstank » 02 Aug 2018, 22:26

taketheshot56 wrote:
02 Aug 2018, 22:23
I think youve got it wrong pal. Weyland has been changed as much as FOX wants it changed. People dont wish to see it gone and your attempts at sponsoring further removal have undoubtedly struck a cord with some.

People dont wish to help you rebrand to "the company" because for all intents and purposes it is still Weyland Yutani.
Just let the man do his job
Andres Addison

User avatar
conthegodoffire
Registered user
Posts: 104
Joined: 09 Nov 2017, 10:24
Byond: conthegodoffire

Re: Public Service Announcement: Weyland-Yutani is no longer in CM-SS13 canon

Post by conthegodoffire » 02 Aug 2018, 22:29

To be honest I am fine with calling it "The Company" because it makes like sound like the big evil thing it is.
But aside from that, I don't mind if people say WeyYu or Weyland Yutani. I mean we all know what they mean anyway, so why worry about what players say when RPing.
Alan"Arcade"Murphy the best damn marine there ever was
Alpha squad lead sometimes
Medic most of the time
Always a scrub
Also known as "Doctor" Landon Wilson
I may cut off an arm to give you a robo leg but you will love me for it

User avatar
Cry of Wolves
Registered user
Posts: 502
Joined: 10 Aug 2015, 22:15
Location: California
Byond: Cry of Wolves
Steam: Cry of Wolves

Re: Public Service Announcement: Weyland-Yutani is no longer in CM-SS13 canon

Post by Cry of Wolves » 02 Aug 2018, 22:52

Do not make these types of topics as it causes unnecessary confusion and misdirects players into ahelping about other players using Wey-Yu. Do not speak for the staff.

User avatar
FracturedAntler
Registered user
Posts: 58
Joined: 27 Jul 2018, 12:50
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Byond: FracturedAntler
Steam: Mr. Honkeytonk

Re: Public Service Announcement: Weyland-Yutani is no longer in CM-SS13 canon

Post by FracturedAntler » 02 Aug 2018, 23:38

Cry of Wolves wrote:
02 Aug 2018, 22:52
Do not make these types of topics as it causes unnecessary confusion and misdirects players into ahelping about other players using Wey-Yu. Do not speak for the staff.
Westhybrid wrote:
02 Aug 2018, 22:25
It's in my fucking bones. Sorry, I don't have an Etsy page to channel my vitriol into.

And how about instead of posting "PSAs" from your moral high-ground up there like you're our lawyer, and making proclamations about Roleplay Guidelines that aren't even official yet, you just spread the word in the Discord and call it a day.
Everyone in this thread is misrepresenting what I'm saying. I personally don't give a shit about who says what, I'm literally just trying to let people know about it. Jesus fucking Christ. You really think I'm trying to speak for the community? Well, Jesus, fuck me right? First, the roleplay guidelines are official, it's just not widely known. Second, I'm not acting like a lawyer, nor do I think I have a highground. Fuck me for talking about something other than wield delays and updates, right?

No reasonable person would report someone for saying Weyland-Yutani. Did I ever say I spoke for the staff? I'm speaking as someone that considers themselves a part of the community and trying to help out. But fuck me right? For trying to be active in the community?

I didn't ask for this toxicity, I made an informative post. Quit dunking on me for it.

"It is I! Skycaptain Maximilian Valentine! Captain of the skies..."

Character Dossier

User avatar
Westhybrid
Registered user
Posts: 374
Joined: 25 Jul 2015, 03:34
Location: San Francisco, CA
Byond: WestHybrid
Contact:

Re: Public Service Announcement: Weyland-Yutani is no longer in CM-SS13 canon

Post by Westhybrid » 03 Aug 2018, 00:09

FracturedAntler wrote:
02 Aug 2018, 23:38

I didn't ask for this toxicity, I made an informative post. Quit dunking on me for it.
Quit being a human basketball hoop.

This is the second "PSA" you've made, with the second one also being wrong, and a null point because of Admin Rule 0.

Gather around, children, because the moral of this storybook is that you shouldn't state things as fact on an internet forum without doing research and expect to not get smacked around a little for it.
Goes better with soup.

User avatar
FracturedAntler
Registered user
Posts: 58
Joined: 27 Jul 2018, 12:50
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Byond: FracturedAntler
Steam: Mr. Honkeytonk

Re: Public Service Announcement: Weyland-Yutani is no longer in CM-SS13 canon

Post by FracturedAntler » 03 Aug 2018, 00:20

Westhybrid wrote:
03 Aug 2018, 00:09
Quit being a human basketball hoop.
Wow you sure got me!
This is the second "PSA" you've made
Factual, despite the fact you're taking them as seriously as an actual public service announcement.
with the second one also being wrong
I'm going to assume that you meant to say "first one"
and a null point because of Admin Rule 0
Congrats on defeating your point, if it was wrong why would an admin need to enforce Rule 0?
Gather around, children, because the moral of this storybook is that you shouldn't state things as fact on an internet forum without doing research and expect to not get smacked around a little for it.
Gather around, children, because the moral of this storybook is that you shouldn't get mad because someone told you that your way of roleplaying isn't necessarily the de-facto way of doing it.

"It is I! Skycaptain Maximilian Valentine! Captain of the skies..."

Character Dossier

Locked