Xeno identification

Our lives for the Queen!
kastion
Byond: MasterShakeEz

Xeno identification

Post by kastion » 26 Nov 2018, 23:25

I think we should argue about ways that xenos could be identified until the admins get annoyed and give it to us. I really think it is the single best thing that xenos could receive. I don't care how it is implemented (ckeys/usernames/permanent numbers/whatever) but lets sit here and make a 50 page post about why we need xeno identification until they give in. Everyone chip in and shoot down every stupid argument they give us for not doing it.

Ill start it off by pointing out that randoms aint gonna listen to anybody that they don't see as robust and experienced. With no one knowing who is who that means no one listens to anyone who they cant see dominating in the current match. That includes the queen. I have played queen so many times and seen idiots act like they are following my orders until I look away then they go back to doing dumb shit against my orders. They never listen to leaders, I have literally had someone say "Just cause you have a star don't make you a real leader" and ignore every command I give them. Moderators will just warn them for being idiots but it never fixes the problem if you report them.

Daturix
Byond: Daturix

Re: Xeno identification

Post by Daturix » 27 Nov 2018, 00:05

No.

noooooo

kastion

Post by kastion » 27 Nov 2018, 00:13

Daturix wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 00:05
No.

noooooo
Ya that's about the extent of the argument against it.

Avalanchee
Byond: Avalanchee
Steam: Avalanche

Post by Avalanchee » 27 Nov 2018, 00:27

Imagine 20 xenos rushing out to save the Young Runner (Symb) instead of protecting the Empress
Phillip 'Avalanche' Murray
They are actually very balanced. The difference is ya get marines who think they can rambo a xeno and when they die, they get all salty about it.Mizari 10/12/2018, Xeno mutators
Expert at friendly fire, girls and weapons.
Deltard from inside n' outside

kastion

Post by kastion » 27 Nov 2018, 00:32

Avalanchee wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 00:27
Imagine 20 xenos rushing out to save the Young Runner (Symb) instead of protecting the Empress
Does this ever happen as a marine? Have you ever seen players stop doing critical jobs to come save you? I haven't. So I don't expect xenos would do it either.

lurkermain

Post by lurkermain » 27 Nov 2018, 00:35

Avalanchee wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 00:27
Fund it.
kastion wrote:
26 Nov 2018, 23:25
They never listen to leaders, I have literally had someone say "Just cause you have a star don't make you a real leader" and ignore every command I give them. Moderators will just warn them for being idiots but it never fixes the problem if you report them.
Well 99% of the time leaders aren't used for "leading", it's either to help drones weed faster or to boost your T3s a bit.
It needs some kind of utility to work better, like the SL-like tracker I suggested.

kastion

Post by kastion » 27 Nov 2018, 00:51

lurkermain wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 00:35

Well 99% of the time leaders aren't used for "leading", it's either to help drones weed faster or to boost your T3s a bit.
It needs some kind of utility to work better, like the SL-like tracker I suggested.
Ya but technically leaders have the voice of the queen which means you have to follow their orders. You can literally report people for not listening to you as a leader.

Avalanchee

Post by Avalanchee » 27 Nov 2018, 00:55

kastion wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 00:32
Does this ever happen as a marine? Have you ever seen players stop doing critical jobs to come save you? I haven't. So I don't expect xenos would do it either.
People do it all the time on the marine side, mainly the semi-robust+
They are actually very balanced. The difference is ya get marines who think they can rambo a xeno and when they die, they get all salty about it.Mizari 10/12/2018, Xeno mutators

kastion

Post by kastion » 27 Nov 2018, 00:55

Avalanchee wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 00:55
People do it all the time on the marine side, mainly the semi-robust+
I see people save people but ive never seen 20 people stop what they are doing to go save someone. Even if they did why can marines do it but xenos cant?

Avalanchee

Post by Avalanchee » 27 Nov 2018, 01:15

kastion wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 00:55
I see people save people but ive never seen 20 people stop what they are doing to go save someone. Even if they did why can marines do it but xenos cant?
What I am trying to say is that it would promote extreme elitism. Even worse than the elitism on the marine side.

If this feature was included people like Dave wouldn't like it because there would be a lemming train of idiots following them around every round

xXen0zS1ay3rXx

Post by xXen0zS1ay3rXx » 27 Nov 2018, 01:18

It would be a net gain for sure, so static names might start playing beano and actually good beanos would get some recognition for being robust. Although I don't like the ckey idea, just letting a beano pick a name after reaching mature or something. I'm sure the letting a cyborg pick its name code could be jury rigged to do that or similar.

A round a few weeks back I saw a Queen, sentinel, and warrior- the final 3 beans take one two whole squads and win. Bring the hive back, only for the admemes to bring in an ERT plus more latejoins to try and kill them and they still held out. The only thing that killed that Queen was a admeme'd up pred. Honestly the most robust Queen I have ever seen.

And I will never know their name.
Last edited by xXen0zS1ay3rXx on 27 Nov 2018, 01:19, edited 1 time in total.

kastion

Post by kastion » 27 Nov 2018, 01:19

Avalanchee wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 01:15
What I am trying to say is that it would promote extreme elitism. Even worse than the elitism on the marine side.

If this feature was included people like Dave wouldn't like it because there would be a lemming train of idiots following them around every round
I don't see why people think xeno players would act any different than marine players. I think it would be basically the same with a few exceptions.

If people don't like people following them around then that's their problem. Its a team based game. Every suggestion for this has also included the ability to stay anonymous so that would fix that problem anyways.

Ketrai
Byond: Ketrai

Post by Ketrai » 27 Nov 2018, 01:23

Or you know, just have random nicknames? Would be a nice start. I don't want the metabuddy shit from marines coming to the benos too.

kastion

Post by kastion » 27 Nov 2018, 01:26

Ketrai wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 01:23
Or you know, just have random nicknames? Would be a nice start. I don't want the metabuddy shit from marines coming to the benos too.
random nicknames would be pointless. it doesn't address any of the needs for this and contributes nothing to the game. What you call metabuddying I call team work and coordination.

DefinitelyAlone0309
Byond: DefinitelyAlone0309

Post by DefinitelyAlone0309 » 27 Nov 2018, 02:51

Just a summary

Specific numbers and random nicknames won't be any use in terms of letting xeno know each other. Specific nicknames, while doing this, will be way too annoying because then you'll see it in hive status+chat log+combat log; and it's open to abuse or just some really bullshit nicknames.

Optional Ckey in Hive Status however, works as a way for xeno to recognize each other, yet still allowing people the anonymity if they wish to remain unknown; and it's tucked away only in Hive Status, so you would only open it up to check the ckeys, and not have them swarm chat+combat log. And of course, this information will be limited to xeno and ghosts' eyes only

As a way to keep the "faceless" feature of xeno, Ckey in Hive Status works best.
The one and only Bex Jackson

kastion

Post by kastion » 27 Nov 2018, 02:54

DefinitelyAlone0309 wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 02:51
Just a summary

Specific numbers and random nicknames won't be any use in terms of letting xeno know each other. Specific nicknames, while doing this, will be way too annoying because then you'll see it in hive status+chat log+combat log; and it's open to abuse or just some really bullshit nicknames.

Optional Ckey in Hive Status however, works as a way for xeno to recognize each other, yet still allowing people the anonymity if they wish to remain unknown; and it's tucked away only in Hive Status, so you would only open it up to check the ckeys, and not have them swarm chat+combat log
I think specific numbers could work if the game assigned you a specific number so no one could copy your number and the number never changed. over time you would be like oh its 69 hes a cool dude. xenos could also guard their number so you aren't like oh 69 is symbiosis and 302 is definentlyalone.

DefinitelyAlone0309

Post by DefinitelyAlone0309 » 27 Nov 2018, 02:56

kastion wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 02:54
I think specific numbers could work if the game assigned you a specific number so no one could copy your number and the number never changed. over time you would be like oh its 69 hes a cool dude. xenos could also guard their number so you aren't like oh 69 is symbiosis and 302 is definentlyalone.
There's just too much variety in specific numbers, like 1000 numbers for you to choose from. And since number isn't instantly recognizable like names or ckeys, it takes waaaaaaaaaay too many rounds to even learn that "hey, this dude is cool"; let alone "hey, this dude is really reliable"

kastion

Post by kastion » 27 Nov 2018, 03:00

27 Nov 2018, 02:56
There's just too much variety in specific numbers, like 1000 numbers for you to choose from. And since number isn't instantly recognizable like names or ckeys, it takes waaaaaaaaaay too many rounds to even learn that "hey, this dude is cool"; let alone "hey, this dude is really reliable"
Ya I would 100% rather have ckeys but ANYTHING that identifies people is good enough for me. Im just throwing ideas out.

kastion

Post by kastion » 27 Nov 2018, 03:04

specific nicknames could work too if they limited them to 1 word nouns or verbs by rule. like "Slash" or "Weed" or something like that. so you don't get "unga dunga" and "Jesus"

Dolth
Byond: Pette

Post by Dolth » 27 Nov 2018, 03:24

kastion wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 00:32
Erm yes? I already had countless times a spec or SL rushing a warrior slowly pulling me after a boiler gas. Cuz Dolth I guess.

But yes, the name/fame favorizes attention.
New signature 03/10/2018
► Show Spoiler

kastion

Post by kastion » 27 Nov 2018, 03:30

Dolth wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 03:24
Erm yes? I already had countless times a spec or SL rushing a warrior slowly pulling me after a boiler gas. Cuz Dolth I guess.

But yes, the name/fame favorizes attention.
Ya I know a few people will do it but he said 20. as in the entire hive would leave to queen to die to save symbiosis the runner. I don't think that happens. I know when I play marine or xeno I die trying to save random people I don't know just as often as big names. Im sure there are other people like me that risk themselves to save others. I also know that some people never save anyone. I have had people walk over my body and leave me for dead when there isn't even fighting going on. This is an individual thing and not a group thing.
Last edited by kastion on 27 Nov 2018, 03:33, edited 1 time in total.

lurkermain

Post by lurkermain » 27 Nov 2018, 03:30

Regarding numbers, if we went with that for some reason, 3 digit numbers would not be enough, I'd leave 3 digit numbers to random players and use 4 digit numbers for xenos who want a permanent identity.
But coding registration and whatever for that seems a lot more hassle than using xeno nicks.
kastion wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 03:04
specific nicknames could work too if they limited them to 1 word nouns or verbs by rule. like "Slash" or "Weed" or something like that. so you don't get "unga dunga" and "Jesus"
I think establishing a policy similar to the normal policy for human names could work but if we only used words related to slashing and resin then we'd probably run out of them quickly.
Maybe allowing stuff like latin words related to insects and insect classification could work.

kastion

Post by kastion » 27 Nov 2018, 03:35

lurkermain wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 03:30
Regarding numbers, if we went with that for some reason, 3 digit numbers would not be enough, I'd leave 3 digit numbers to random players and use 4 digit numbers for xenos who want a permanent identity.
But coding registration and whatever for that seems a lot more hassle than using xeno nicks.

I think establishing a policy similar to the normal policy for human names could work but if we only used words related to slashing and resin then we'd probably run out of them quickly.
Maybe allowing stuff like latin words related to insects and insect classification could work.
You could make it a-402, c-085, 1028 whatever it doesn't matter. I would also prefer the game assigning us the number permantly to our account instead of picking the number. Then we don't even need random numbers because anyone who wants to be anonymous can just not say who they are.

I didn't mean names only related to slashing and resin. I said verb and nouns, so I gave a verb and a noun. You could be "flower" or "Jump" you just shouldn't beable to be multiword memes and proper nouns like "carl" or "bob" cause bob the alien would be fucking retarded lol.

DefinitelyAlone0309

Post by DefinitelyAlone0309 » 27 Nov 2018, 03:37

And honestly, all of this would be harder to think of and implemented than just giving ckey in Hive Status, which they already semi do with Queen's and Predators' and ERT folks' ckeys at the end of the round. Now we just need it in Hive Status. Simple as that right? Right?

kastion

Post by kastion » 27 Nov 2018, 03:57

27 Nov 2018, 03:37
And honestly, all of this would be harder to think of and implemented than just giving ckey in Hive Status, which they already semi do with Queen's and Predators' and ERT folks' ckeys at the end of the round. Now we just need it in Hive Status. Simple as that right? Right?
Ya but people throw a fit when you say CKey so im trying to think of alternatives that they might find more reasonable.