Leadership phenomenon : Squad Cohesion

Ultimate badasses.
Kesserline
Byond: JeanManche

Leadership phenomenon : Squad Cohesion

Post by Kesserline » 02 Feb 2018, 06:34

If you want to be SL, aSL, or even not interfering as CIC, here is something.

SQUAD COHESION

What is that shit ?

You can say that Squad Cohesion is a mix of gameplay, psychological and roleplay shits that makes a squad being together, grouped, highly responsive.

Squad Cohesion is usually high at the beginning of the round, especially if the SL is decent.

But, according to the following of the round, Squad Cohesion can fall fairly quickly.

Here is a non exhaustive list of things that can keep your squad cohesion high, or down :

Things to keep Squad Cohesion UP :
  • The banter, talking shit with your men keeps them interested about you.
  • The comms, do not let a single question asked for you unanswered. Even if you don't have the answer right now, at least, copy that comm.
  • The respect that your marines have towards you (influenced by your skills/notoriety/passed rounds).
  • Just your notoriety/reputation as a player/SL.
  • All the above and other effects that can induce a high morale.

Things that make Squad Cohesion DOWN :
  • Being for too long on a boring/automatic duty (FOB duty can kill squad cohesion in less then 15 minutes).
  • Having too many casualties.
  • Having catastrophic casualties (leadership : SL/CO, specific roles : Spec, SG, Medics and Engies).
  • Unorganized SL.
  • Unorganized Command.
  • Being on the frontline for too long.
  • All the above and other effects that can induce a low morale.

TIPS :

Yes, I said it. Being on the frontline for too long. So, you'll tell me : I CAN'T SIT MAH ASS AT THE FOB. OR CAN'T STAY AT THE FRONTLINE BRO !

You have to keep moving. You have to be able to withdraw your men, to launch other offensives. But yeah, still there, your squad cohesion will be fucked. And all your marines will be scattered on the entire map.

Here are some tips during fights that can help :
  • When you launch an offensive where other squads are : TELL YOUR MEN TO STAY ON A DESIGNATED FLANK. When crossing the river, I ask for my men to stay on the LEFT or on the RIGHT. My usual thing is to say : RIGHT FLANK ! RIGHT FLANK ! STAY ON THE RIGHT FLANK ! IF YOU ARE NOT SURROUNDED BY DELTAS : YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG !

Marines, sadly, are like sheeps. They follow the mass. But if you make in sort that the mass is still your squad, you reduce the amount of marines that'll fuck off at the other side of the frontline. Which means you can keep them around the "L" above your head, and keep doing pushes, last stand and flanks.
  • Keep on talking to your marines. When you fall back for reloading, the marines will take your place (usually). That means you have 30 seconds to tell your wounded men to evac (Just a "Evac and take care marine" or a "Good shit on that kill SG !" and even a "Thanks for covering my ass X"). Just that and you'll keep your marines knowing that there is a bond between you and them. A bond that the fight cannot destroy. (In fact, the fact can destroy that bond, but you musn't let it known to your boys).
  • NEVER DEFEATISM. The only thing you can say is FALL BACK. But if you start panicking and stay : WE ARE DOOMED ! OH SHIT ! COMMAND IS GAY. Then, you'll trully fuck the morale of your squad. Think about that sentence : "I LOVE THE CORPS ! ANOTHER WONDERFUL DAY IN THE CORPS".
  • REGROUP AND RALLY : After a push, after a retreat, give 60 to 240 sec to your squad to either rally on you, either rally on a designated location. Repeat at least 3 times, every 30 to 60 sec your order.
  • USE REGROUP AND RALLY TIME TO JOKE/COMMUNICATE : You have between 60 to 240 sec to joke, tell your marines they are gay, use your gaydar to detect Charlie's gayness, say that Alicia Parker has a nice a-armor and that Laura Fox has huge bo-beautiful eyes. This time is your SL's time, your oxygen. Use it to breath, to smile, and to regain cohesion and will across your manpower.
  • DETECT LACK OF COHESION : If your screen is not filled with marines wearing your squad colors, it means you are on a fight for a too long time, your squad lost you, or marines are doing jackshit without you. Order a rally on your location, try to move on the main frontline area, get men, and then get away from the frontline (to avoid marines getting back there like flies on honey).
    When marines are on an assault or on a lack of action for a too long period, they will drop their brains next to their keyboard and won't listen anymore. Use caps lock like a 11 years-old on Call of Duty and get their attention. Small sentences, huge words, impact orders : RALLY ! GET BACK HERE ! HEY DIPSHITS : RALLY ! (Things like that).

FOCUS ON COHESION DURING MANEUVERS

You all noticed or even lived that as a PFC point of view : your SL said "GO FUCKING EAST YOU BABOONS !", but west, there is gunfire and screams, human screams, and south, you have a buddy in paincrit and nobody gives a shit about dragging him.

So, logically, in your mind you say : "Wait the fuck on, I'll go help those guys, and I'll join you awesome SL later". That's normal. That's logical.

BUT, your SL may not be aware of this, or his priorities are set and he can't wait for you. As a SL, you have to set in your head a margin of marines you can lose to achieve your first objective.

First of all, you have 2 states. Before (planning/prepping) the maneuver, and DURING the maneuver.

I'll give you some reliable numbers to have in mind when on maneuvers :
  • A full push : 6 marines minimum is a good number. Enough firepower to repel the Xenos, and enough rifles to keep up even if one or two marines are downed. So, for a 10 rifles squad, you can allow 40% marines deperdition before canceling your maneuver. During the maneuver, you can suffer another 33% loss (down to 4 marines) before holding, digging in and awaiting reinforcements or falling back.
  • A retreat/withdrawal : you have to save your marines. You cannot abandon ALL your marines. Allow for a 50% acceptable casualties rules. All the marines that REFUSE to get back after multiple warnings deserve to die. If they are too valuable to be left to die (DOA, Lisa, Miranda, Parker, Murry, Yaro, Sanada, Duke, Holmes, Hans, or other dipshits on the same level), reach them, and yell at them : "FALL BACK NOW DIPSHIT. LET THE OTHER DIPSHITS DIE BUT STOP HELPING THEM." Usually, those marines have a sort of "heroism" syndrom and will keep holding the line to save baldies. The fact is : baldies do not give a shit, and are too retarded to notice they have to fall back.
  • A flank : Even if you can flank solo or with as a duo, the best number is 4. 4 rifles including yourself. With 4 rifles at minimum, you have enough firepower to wreck havoc, and to survive. Below this number, you risk annihilation of your flanking party.
Now, what is the purpose of this focus ? You have to understand that marines will get focused on OTHER objectives than yours. They'll see a target ? They'll shoot it ? But damn, you're already 30 meters from them because you pursued your push. Your best pal is your tac binocs. Take them in your empty hand and check regularly how many marines are behind you.

When you see that your numbers are going too low, try to hold for 15 sec, for stragglers. If that's not good enough, fall back a little and try to grab your stragglers by the balls. If not ? Simply cancel your maneuver. Having a lad thinking about maneuvers makes you valuable enough to not throw your life for nothing.

Survive, and lead another day.

CONCLUSION : WHY THE FUCK DO I MAKE THAT POST ?

To help you consider the fact that.. If your squad cohesion is catastrophicly low, don't bother issue orders to your men. That won't matter.
The only thing that you can make is to try to grab a handful of marines, and keep them around you, to get that squad cohesion up.

And if you feel that your squad cohesion is at its max, think about your most bold tactics. Flanking, Pushing, Holding. Because you know that your men are behind you. You know that they are ALL here. All their rifles, their ability, their focus is HERE to make your ORDERS accomplished.

And, by the way : enjoy yourself and the men around you. Do not forget that good comms make everyone's day.
Last edited by Kesserline on 20 Mar 2018, 04:36, edited 2 times in total.

Wubs4Scrubs

Re: Leadership phenomenon : Squad Cohesion

Post by Wubs4Scrubs » 02 Feb 2018, 07:01

Wait, I have to use the radio?

beefkill
Byond: beefkill

Post by beefkill » 02 Feb 2018, 09:32

I like to use the term "tactically advance back" instead of fall back. It makes you sound more robust.
Character: Don 'Lemon' Clemmins

conthegodoffire
Byond: conthegodoffire

Post by conthegodoffire » 02 Feb 2018, 09:55

So you're telling me shooting my squad lead in the ass with AP is not a good thing to do... And I have to talk to my squad mates...

I am not sure I like this guide.
Alan"Arcade"Murphy the best damn marine there ever was
Alpha squad lead sometimes
Medic most of the time
Always a scrub
Also known as "Doctor" Landon Wilson
I may cut off an arm to give you a robo leg but you will love me for it

nekcy
Byond: nekcy

Post by nekcy » 02 Feb 2018, 14:16

One problem I have is that I stop reading the chat mid-game, good tips.
Sounds a bit stressful but also fun, might give SL a try soon.
Lou Greenawalt.

Skimmy2
Byond: Skimmy2

Post by Skimmy2 » 02 Feb 2018, 22:18

You can always avoid trigger words of "retreat" or "fall back" by simply ordering your squad to assault [insert opposite direction of enemy here].
Steve Humason : Squad Leader, Military Police, Squad Marine
Chroma Tuflos : Pilot Officer, Corporate Liaison

Oaks
Byond: Oaks

Post by Oaks » 03 Feb 2018, 09:06

If you play SL, or find yourself as aSL, it is VERY important that you stay alive early in the round. I find that squads that lose their SSGT in the first few conflicts usually just fall apart.

This is another valuable post from a skilled leader in the field, the only thing I really have to add to Kesserline's tips is that getting an early xenos kill can boost morale, especially if everyone is helping chase it down.
sally shears

Vispain
Byond: Vispain

Post by Vispain » 04 Feb 2018, 13:36

Never say "RETREAT." Only say "EVAC" if you intend for a full planet wide evac. Instead, try saying "Fallback to _insert place/you_ or "Regroup __insert you/place."
Don't ask for casualties in squad comms SLs and SOs should, if at all, give squad casualties via SL-only transmitted messages using the console.

Best way I find to "fix" squad cohesion as a SL is yelling RALLY ON ME or, as a SO, yelling it. As a SO people really jump to it...or try to.
Sometimes a squad can be too spread out due to casualties. Two choices here for SLs and SOs. Either keep them like that so you don't weaken the front or have them regroup at a close, but not totally engaged area
St Joseph of Cupertino - Patron saint of air travelers, aviators, astronauts, people with a mental handicaps, test takers and poor students.
Commander Jacque Devereaux AKA SSGT Cassius 'Santa' Klaus Predator: Pau'Tar Image

dylanstrategie

Post by dylanstrategie » 04 Feb 2018, 16:05

Dying is the quickest way to fuck up your squad cohesion, so never put yourself in extreme danger. A squad that loses its SL will almost always retreat unless Command promotes a Spec/Engi and he's competent. If you have to do something dangerous like planting an OB, order a small push and try to fit it in before you get counter-pushed

Always give precise move orders. "Follow Me" is nice but if some baldies break off to chase a kill and they can't find you, you're going to shed people fast. Never trust the SL pointer over long distances/large moves. "Evac" or "fall back" is terrible because people will run off to the FOB if they can, always give a proper fall back point and tell them to move there

As a SL you're usually in charge of the minute tactical shit while the PFCs are in charge of shooting. If you're getting flanked, your squad needs to know asap

TO COMMAND. NEVER PROMOTE A FUCKING MEDIC TO aSL. MEDICS NEVER HAVE THE TIME TO LEAD BECAUSE HEALING PEOPLE AND ASKING FOR MEDEVACS IS A 24/7 JOB. Medics are also never in pushes because they need to stay back to heal people

Remember to give out your orders, it's tedious but important

CrimsonAerospace
Byond: CrimsonAerospace

Post by CrimsonAerospace » 04 Feb 2018, 16:27

Problem is idle Marines are bored Marines. Command needs to keep squads rotating with eachother, running patrols and scouting missions. You keep a squad in one place too long they're going to get bored. The rare times I SL, I quickly get permission from Command during combat to take my men around another way in an attempt to flank. I typically manage to keep squads together, but SL is so high stress to me I don't find a whole lot of enjoyment in it.
Kane "Saint" Romano - Laid back kid just trying to see the galaxy. Reveres the dead, and takes it upon himself to record all the actions and deaths of the Battalion to pass on.
Dossier ---> viewtopic.php?f=91&t=16104

biscuitsakimbo
Byond: BiscuitsAkimbo

Post by biscuitsakimbo » 04 Feb 2018, 20:17

One thing I would add is that a devastating blow to squad cohesion is metarush on certain maps. On LV especially, once you send your squad to Hydro it's basically open season. They're just gonna rush across the river, fight into TFort or Cargo, and paradoxically the better Marines perform the more likely they are to merge into an amorphous tri-color mega squad.

Dumblike
Byond: Dumblike

Post by Dumblike » 04 Feb 2018, 22:28

biscuitsakimbo wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 20:17
One thing I would add is that a devastating blow to squad cohesion is metarush on certain maps. On LV especially, once you send your squad to Hydro it's basically open season. They're just gonna rush across the river, fight into TFort or Cargo, and paradoxically the better Marines perform the more likely they are to merge into an amorphous tri-color mega squad.
and then they don't follow any fucking order. just push into cargo/caves and die shoot
Mia Brut
Layne Shriver

https://i.imgur.com/IXcc8aL.png
dchat best chat

Carnolus
Byond: Carnolus

Post by Carnolus » 05 Feb 2018, 00:54

This is why I ask people how they’re doing or where they’re from, purely because of two things A. I like hearing about it, and B. If comms are lively, then that means your squad can and will communicate. It’s really really helpful and important. I generally yell out “MOVE EAST!” Or “NORTH!! LETS GET SOME!” Something along those lines because it gives a general direction, and sounds cool. It’s like a “GET EM BOYS!” Situation.
I only ask for KIAs via command comms. NEVER ask for them from squad channel. It WILL slaughter your morale right there.
Taegan ‘mouth’ MacCarthy!
BOOM SUCKA!

Kesserline

Post by Kesserline » 12 Feb 2018, 03:48

Added 3 tips on the regroup/rally things that are very useful on dedicated assault-squads.

adrenalinetooth
Byond: Adrenalinetooth

Post by adrenalinetooth » 13 Feb 2018, 13:14

Building reputation is EXTREMELY important. If you ever want to try squad leading hard mode, play on a new character. Everyone will cuss you out and not listen to you.

Kesserline

Post by Kesserline » 20 Mar 2018, 04:37

Updates, with some title fonts, bold shit, listing shit, adding a focus on cohesion system during maneuvers.

Mvp777

Post by Mvp777 » 20 Mar 2018, 09:20

Bill Carson was my SL yesterday, he hyped us up and gave and encouraged us to give shit (ICly) to Alpha squad. End result is that we followed him almost to the letter. (Being a walking meme also helped)
Image I play Fred Majun/formerly Alfred Stafford/Majun

Jonesome
Byond: Jonesome
Steam: Darth Dan

Post by Jonesome » 20 Mar 2018, 20:03

I’ve found the best way for SLs to keep squad cohesion is to senselessly beat insubordinate and disrespectful marines with a nearest available heavy object until they comply.

Weaselburg
Byond: Weaselburg

Post by Weaselburg » 20 Mar 2018, 22:09

Best way to keep squad cohesion to to have a female avatar with a fully fleshed out flavortext, all the guys will be following you like dogs. Dogs with guns they barely know how to use, a belt full of weird things to throw at the enemy, and another, whiter belt full of pills and meds to gulp down first contact to become a unrecognizable corpse mega-machine of death and destruction.
Hivemind, Elite Runner (320) (follow) hisses, 'SORRY I STEPPED ON THE BUTTON MA.
Kaptin Morgan: we must unite to collect the shattered pieces of the tribes code that are spread among the 16 feweh alts
Hivemind, Mature Crusher (21) hisses, 'I CAN MEME AGAIN'
You know, it really surprised me when IKEA bought Disney.- The biggest surprise was KFC buying IBM, to be honest
Philby0 wrote: They're so white they can colonise anything at will
PFC Rex Lombardi shouts, "Boys if you jump out of the dropship you are guarenteed a pass into the paratroopers regiment!"
OOC: Jakkkk: weaselburg got t o u c h e d
OOC: Driecg36: a sentient demon had taken residence in shutte code
OOC: Daswurmtmich: GIBING WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Gnorse
Byond: Gnorse
Steam: Gnorse2

Post by Gnorse » 21 Mar 2018, 18:27

All in all, Remember that you've got a set number of marines. Try your best to keep them all alive, but don't get stressed out if you keep yelling at a marine and he doesn't do as ordered..
Think of it as survival of the fittest, except with baldies.
-local suicidal delta PFC. No, not murry, the other one- : Oussama 'DOA' Neghiz
Please don't follow me if you don't want to die
Occasional commander, Part-time smartgunner and Full-time PFC.

Image (Huge thanks to Okand37 for making this cute boi !)

RevealingFortune

Post by RevealingFortune » 24 Mar 2018, 05:48

Despite being one of the most menacing roles in the game, your guide helps motivate me to want to try and play SL. Trying to keep a squad together is the worse, although this guide as well as many of the recent updates may help out aspiring SLs.

Kesserline

Post by Kesserline » 24 Mar 2018, 13:52

SL is the axis between PFC and SO.

SO only manages and lead.

PFC only fights and survive.

SL does both. That's why it's a menacing and stressful role.

When I started SL, I was baldie as fuck in terms of fighting (to tell you, I did around 20 to 30 SL rounds before discovering the "Issue Orders" that I overuse today).

When I wasn't confident, my squad was a sphere, and I was the centre of it. I used them to protect me, and I moved that sphere where Command needed me to be. I was like a Nexus or Command Node.

After a few months, and nowadays rounds : I'm more like the spearhead of an assault, of any flank, of any pushes, of any offensive maneuver that can occurs, until I die, until I make Delta wipe, or until the Hive is dead. For what ? Because I'm more confident about my fighting skills, I say confident, I don't say robusto. (Every time I play with Murry, I FF him at least one bullet, and mostly AP).

Do not be afraid of dying, it's a game. Do not be afraid to lose, enjoy yourselves. Do not be afraid to take risks, the enjoyment of winning a difficult battle will be more intense.

Lose with your squaddies, learn from your mistakes. Win with your squaddies, and create a bond, and a trust that'll allow your squaddies to follow you the round next to this one.

Cohesion is like a flux, that you have to manage through the entire round, but it can seriously help to like your squaddies a lot, and them liking you. Have friends around you, it'll make your SL life easier, you can enjoy it, and they can support you as much as you can lead them to victories.

I seriously encourage any aspiring SL to have a squad preference, whatever the squad preference is. Play with the regulars of said squad. Make them know you. Gain their trust. And then, your squad will have a natural cohesion that'll be easier to fix, even after heavy casualties. Because the regulars are for a major part tough badasses on the USCM.