xywenx00 (Bradley) Synthetic Application

xywenx00
Byond: Xywenx

xywenx00 (Bradley) Synthetic Application

Post by xywenx00 » 17 Aug 2017, 11:49

Byond ID:
Xywenx

Marine Name (so we know who you are; if you play alien mostly, state that here):
Daren 'Dan' Poehl (I frequently change the names of my character, but this one I've kept for some time.)

Name/Designation of the Synth Character you’re requesting to use (Follows common naming rules, and requires a first name with no last name):
Bradley
[Male; 1.80m high; Brown Mulder haircut; Green eyes; Slightly tanned white skin colour]

Are you familiar with the Synthetic Programming and Guidelines (viewtopic.php?f=57&t=14417)?
Yes, I've read them thoroughly and understand their intended meaning.

Synthetic Character Story (An ADEQUATE description and story of your Synthetics actions and involvement in a previous mission onboard the Almayer):
[Bradley is currently researching a fungus that has been brought back from a previous mission in a jungle-like biome.]
>Processing Input-data
{fungus is coloured a orange-green; spreads via spores; not harmful but resilient; additional containment required}
[Bradley locks down the fungus containment.]
/Bradley to Ares (Station AI)/ "Ares, notify Cargo that additional containment is required for handling the fungus. Also there -"
[An announcement is heard over the intercomms. A distress signal has just been picked up from a nearby colony. Coordinates can be viewed on the designated console]
/Commander over comms/ "The distress signal is very close. It'll take 3 days at maximum throttle to get there. Bradley, wake up the marines."
[Bradley moves to the cryo bay and starts initiating wake-up protocols. The commander stops by and talks to Bradley personally.]
/Commander to Bradley/ "Bradley. I want you with the marines on this mission, we've picked up a transmission from the colony. It appears some of the local flora has been mutated by the colony scienticists which resulted in it overtaking the colony. The problem is, the strange plant emits toxic gas. The colonists have been cut off from their supply of masks and have sealed them off in the colony's main hall. They're slowly running out of oxygen. You'll be sent in with a handfull of marines aswell as Researcher Kaden Edwards."
/Bradley to Commander/ "I understand, Sir."
[Bradley goes back to researching the fungus and installing additional containment from Cargo.]
[3 Days pass and the USS Almayer reaches the distress signal]
[Bradley enters dropship Alamo with 4 Marines, one of them being a engineer and another a medic, aswell as Researcher Kaden Edwards. Everyone besides Bradley is equipped with a gasmask.]
/One of the marines/ "They're sending marines to cut some weeds? Fucking hell. I signed up to do something worthwhile."
/Bradley to the marine/ "We don't know what exactly happened. The only intel we have is the transmission from the colony. Though, I understand your worries that your actions today might never be mentioned." [Bradley's face turns slightly worried]
[The marine doesn't respond due to the dropship landing at the colonies landing pad.]
>raising internal alert-Level
{possible threat might occur; further intel required}
[The group walks into the main hall where they find a group of colonists.]
/Bradley to the colonists/ "Greetings, we've responded to your distress signal, what is the problem?"
/One of the colonists to Bradley/ "O-one of the experiments regarding a local plant have caused a mutation which resulted in us being trapped inside. The plant is emitting a lethal toxin gas. Part of our research team is still somewhere outside the hall and we're running low on air. The plant has cut off the air supply. You need to help us. My wife is with the other group."
/Bradley to the colonist/ "I understand your worries and we'll do our best to help you and find the missing group." [Bradley goes up to the colonist and puts his hand his shoulder with a saddened face] "Trust us."
[The group first heads to the main air supply room. It appears the plant has grown all over the venting system and is blocking air flow.]
>Processing input data
{The vents are blocked by the plant; Toxin is not travelling through the vents due to a filter; burning the plant out of this room and sealing the room off will result in permament fix}
/Bradley to group/ "We need to burn the plant out of this room. I suggest using our flamethrower for efficency. Sealing off the room will make sure the plant will not be able to grow back inside."
[The group does so and fixes the air problem, now they're on their way to the last known location of the split off research team. Which was the research facility. When reaching the research facility they see one of the missing colonists inside. Not wearing a mask. Upon seeing the group the colonist instantly runs towards them holding a bloody knife in their hand and prepares for a swing. A shot is heard and the colonist falls to the ground]
/Bradley screaming/ "NOO!"
>Processing input data
{Colonist appears to have inhaled the lethal toxin, which might've damaged his brain resulting in a rage; probability of death without USMC interference >100%<}
[A women wearing a gas mask is seen crawling on the ground. The group quickly moves to the women.]
/Women to group/ "H-he *cough* gave me his gas mask after mine broke. *coughing up blood* The toxin is getting in my wounds. I'll die soon. The others are in the room to the left. *cough* There is a plant node which we tried to destroy. If you destroy it the plant will die. Tell my husb-"
[The woman lost any colour left and after the medic checks her pulse, it is known that she died. Bradley was holding her hand the whole time throughout her talking. Bradley shuts the womens eyes close and the group moves on to the room with the rest of the research team. It's sealed off. They decide to instead of possibly releasing them to the toxic gas, it would make more sense to destroy the plant node. They quickly move to the containment room.]
/Bradley to group/ "I need to lift the containment in order to let you in. The console has no connection to the power grid."
[Bradley rips open a panel on the console uncovering a bunch of wires. He reconnects some and then grabs one and removes a panel from the floor.]
/Bradley to group/ "I'll have to bring in power through me. The cable is too short. This will result in me overcharging. Possible damage might be a result. There are no other options."
/Researcher Kaden to Bradley/ "Alright, do it."
[Bradley grabs the cable in the floor through the panel he opened up and the console short-circuited, resulting in the lockdown to lift and the group being able to move in and burn the plant node. Bradley is lying next to the console.]
>Initializing self-scan
>ERROR. Internal hardware component damaged. Mobility affected. Limbs have shut down. Accesable limb: Right arm.
{possibility of recovery >97%<; possibility of permanent impairment: >8%<}
/Bradley to group/ "I'm unable to move. Help me. I can't feel my limbs." [Scared expression on Bradleys face]
[Bradley gets a glance at the destroyed node and slowly crawls to the node with his one hand and grabs a sample from the dead node]
/Bradley to group/ "This is amazing. A simple miscalculation resulted in a new life. Different from what it was before."
[The group picks up Bradley and they procceed to evacuate the missing research team into the main hall, after removing the seal and bringing them gas masks.]
/The colonist that spoke first with the group to the group/ "Where is my wife?" [You can see fear in his eyes]
[The marines bring in two body bags one carrying the shot man and the other carrying the stabbed woman. The colonist stares at the women and begins to cry.]
/Bradley to colonist/ "I'm sorry. There was nothing we could've done." [Bradley is still impaired but you can see a water drop running down from his face while looking at the colonist. Bradley's face shows signs of sadness, but when looking at the sample he collected his face switches to slight happyness.]
[Being done with the mission, the group proceeds back the dropship and they return back to the USS Almayer where Bradley gets completely repaired. Bradley returns to his lab where he reanimates the node sample and puts it in containment, after notifying the research crew aswell as the commander. A smile on his face.]
/Bradley to himself/ "What a interesting little plant."

How do you intend to play your Synth (as in, describe HOW you will act/play your Synth and what support roles you’ll mainly focus on, what is your synthetics quirk)?
I intend to play my synthetic more human. While unable to truly feel emotion like human beings, Bradley understands those emotions and will respond in a human way, yet it'll still be obvious that he is synthetic. I'll play it like a android trying to act like a human and not fully succeeding. (Bradley will show emotions, but for those that look twice, it'll be clear that he is just mimicing what humans would feel in that situation.) This allows his human counterparts to interact more easily with him (I've got that one from the D8 Commercial). The main quirk of Bradley will be curiosity. He will stop to take a closer look at things he deems interesting. This can range from something he hasn't learned yet to the simple anatomy of the human body. That makes him perfect for the role of researcher. Which he will mainly focus on. In order to show his quirk he will act excited and suprised aswell as impressed especially with technology and biology.

How familiar are you with support roles? (ie; Medical, MT, Science, SO)
I've played all of them and can play them almost all to their full capabilities (I know almost everything about the role). There aren't many things I don't know. The only role I haven't played that much is Doctor, while I know how and what medicine to apply to what damage, I haven't really had the possibilities to do that much surgery. Though, I should be able to handle it. The support roles I've played the most are Command, Researcher and Maintenance Techs and Pilot (I play more support roles than combat roles). My ability to roleplay a researcher is also the reason Bradley will focus on science.

Why should we whitelist you?
My abilities to roleplay will greatly add to the fun-factor of the rounds. I feel like my abilities will be best represented as a Synthethic, probably also because I'm fascinated with technology in general and thought alot about AIs.
I've also been playing on this server for over two years now and haven't been banned a single time, as far as I know (My memory is rather bad for my age). (I did get warning though for things I didn't know about/I thought remained the same before an update)
I'm also capable of following orders as well as laws and understand them, therefore playing a Synthethic and following marine law won't be a problem for me.
I've also done alot of research regarding Synthetics and what is canon. For my research I used:
http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Synthetic
http://weyland.wikia.com/wiki/Synthetics
and the sub-subjects like each different artificial person.

Have you been banned from CM in the last month for any reason (we will check, and lies may result in immediate denial)?
I have not. (Though I did get a warning because I hit someone with a powerloader on help intent, while I thought they still acted the same as the old powerloader and would push someone out of the way instead of hitting them.)

Are you currently banned from any other servers and if so, why?
I'm not banned on any SS13 Server currently.

Do you understand that any player - donor or otherwise - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our rules or the Synthetic Programming Guideline?
I understand that any player can have their whitelist status revoked.
Last edited by xywenx00 on 17 Aug 2017, 12:48, edited 5 times in total.
ImageImageImage

Mook476
Byond: Mook476

Re: xywenx00 (Bradley) Synthetic Application

Post by Mook476 » 17 Aug 2017, 17:38

I like the story, but it's a bit bunched up and hard to read. I also really love this part of the story for some reason it stuck out to me "[Bradley is still impaired but you can see a water drop running down from his face while looking at the colonist. Bradley's face shows signs of sadness, but when looking at the sample he collected his face switches to slight happyness.]", and it shows how he tries to mimic humans emotions as you said, but at the same time truly a synthetic/android at heart. I like the story the formatting could be better, but overall I like it and I think you'll be a fine addition to the synthetic whitelist. +1
ImageImage Joakim 'Mook Sundberg some meme aka BIG DOG.
Image Image Bakuub R'ka some pred.

Chuckachu
Byond: Soundwavesghost

Post by Chuckachu » 17 Aug 2017, 18:07

And what does Bradley look like?
Arcee "Leaflet" Cullars
Formerly Paul "Flyer" Cullars

xywenx00

Post by xywenx00 » 17 Aug 2017, 18:37

Chuckachu wrote:And what does Bradley look like?
"[Male; 1.80m high; Brown Mulder haircut; Green eyes; Slightly tanned white skin colour]"(Stated it underneath my name)
ImageImageImage

Heckenshutze
Byond: Heckenshutze
Steam: fancypants2455

Post by Heckenshutze » 17 Aug 2017, 19:44

Well yes, I like it. Good app to take as an example. I would want for the story to be easier to read, more structured but those are small details in comparison.

I don't know your character, my advice, pick a name and stick to it. An easy name so people remember you, it helps a lot when it comes to whitelists.. other than that, I'd like to see more forum activity from your part, I'll +1 this but under that condition. I want to see you more active both forum and ingame. Good luck
Marine: Ruben Dario
Yautja: Makauu’rel
Synthetic: Saturn / Shepherd (old model)

Cairath
Byond: Cairath

Post by Cairath » 18 Aug 2017, 08:49

First of all, what I've been telling everyone doing these apps: Try to structure your writing so that it's easy to read. Set it in narrative paragraphs and leave spaces between these. I'm not sure exactly what perspective you've tried to use. From what I can deduce, it's some form of console input from the synth or at least a log of some form. Maybe it's just me, but it's quite odd and really takes you out of whatever story you were attempting to write; a story is limited by its writing style.

The quirk seems decent, though I hope you'll take it to the extreme where it actually becomes a quirk rather than a spell of natural inquisitiveness.

Bonus: If you wished to do a console-like story, you could've done something like this"

SysCheck. . . . . completed with zero(0) error(s).
BodECheck. . . . completed with zero(0) error(s).
ISightCheck. . . . completed with zero(0) error(s).
Loading WYStrapper 25%.
Loading WYStrapper 60%.
WYStrapper fully loaded with zero(0) error(s).
Initializing SynthInterface.
Loading WYOS
WYOS fullyl oaded with zero(0) error(s).
Loading personality unit Bradley . . . completed with zero(0) error(s).
Vocal Sensor Triggered: Human Actor Professor Michael Morning recognized.
Incoming vocal transmission: "Bradley, hey, are you awake?"
Generating affirmative vocal response: "I am awake, Professor Michael Morning"
Visual Sensor Engaged: Human Actor recognized as Professor Michael Morning.

Though I am sure this would get even more tedious to read, it'd be an idea. Also formatted better, I suck at formatting.
This is what dreams nightmares are made of.

xywenx00

Post by xywenx00 » 18 Aug 2017, 09:25

Cairath wrote:First of all, what I've been telling everyone doing these apps: Try to structure your writing so that it's easy to read. Set it in narrative paragraphs and leave spaces between these. I'm not sure exactly what perspective you've tried to use. From what I can deduce, it's some form of console input from the synth or at least a log of some form. Maybe it's just me, but it's quite odd and really takes you out of whatever story you were attempting to write; a story is limited by its writing style.

The quirk seems decent, though I hope you'll take it to the extreme where it actually becomes a quirk rather than a spell of natural inquisitiveness.

Bonus: If you wished to do a console-like story, you could've done something like this"

SysCheck. . . . . completed with zero(0) error(s).
BodECheck. . . . completed with zero(0) error(s).
ISightCheck. . . . completed with zero(0) error(s).
Loading WYStrapper 25%.
Loading WYStrapper 60%.
WYStrapper fully loaded with zero(0) error(s).
Initializing SynthInterface.
Loading WYOS
WYOS fullyl oaded with zero(0) error(s).
Loading personality unit Bradley . . . completed with zero(0) error(s).
Vocal Sensor Triggered: Human Actor Professor Michael Morning recognized.
Incoming vocal transmission: "Bradley, hey, are you awake?"
Generating affirmative vocal response: "I am awake, Professor Michael Morning"
Visual Sensor Engaged: Human Actor recognized as Professor Michael Morning.

Though I am sure this would get even more tedious to read, it'd be an idea. Also formatted better, I suck at formatting.
I went kind of for a console Input, where [] is everything that's happening out of the view point of a neutral narrator. {} is everything that the synth is proccessing internally (translated to humans it could be thinking). /" "/ Everything between those is who is talking to who. > Is "console commands" in that sense. I wanted to have that style throughout the whole story, if I would've used something like you wrote, even though it's good for the beginning, it would like you said, even get more tedious to read.
Thank you for your suggestions and your feedback. I'll Keep them in mind for the next time I'm writting a story.
ImageImageImage

slc97
Vice Host
Vice Host

Post by slc97 » 18 Aug 2017, 14:13

App, is well detailed, and I feel like the programming approach to the story sells me that the player understands the point of synths very well. +1

TexasTwoStep
Byond: TexasTwoStep

Post by TexasTwoStep » 19 Aug 2017, 20:51

Along with SLC's comment, i'll be honest, I take the story aspect more as a log-recorder, speak from facts and observations, not from opinions. +1.

NescauComToddy
Byond: NescauComToddy

Post by NescauComToddy » 19 Aug 2017, 23:25

The Player seems to know the meaning of being a synthetic, as Slc has already said. Still, the background of your synth is complicated to read.

You considered the wikis when making your application, demonstrating your effort. Besides, I've already seen you playing and I can say that you're a decent player.

+1
Peter.

Man'sur, The Victorious', Cetanu's Al'nagara.

Retired staff (moderator).

Feweh
Donor
Donor
Byond: Feweh

Post by Feweh » 29 Aug 2017, 13:46

More feedback required.

Snypehunter007
Byond: Snypehunter007

Post by Snypehunter007 » 29 Aug 2017, 22:31

Too much emotion being shown for me, while I understand that Synths do "feel" to some degree, in my opinion you "felt" too much. The fact that you even say you want to play "more human" doesn't help. You also never state a motivation towards Bradley acting more human, all you mention is that it makes it easier for his co-workers to interact with him.

As said above, your story is very detailed, but you actually write it properly, instead doing a weird thing of addressing actions in-between slashes for some reason. Formatting, is also not your greatest strength apparently.

-1 from me.
Reached "Leet" post status on 3/14/17.
Death of the Suggestion Killer - 11/30/2017

Staff History:
► Show Spoiler

xywenx00

Post by xywenx00 » 30 Aug 2017, 06:15

Snypehunter007 wrote:Too much emotion being shown for me, while I understand that Synths do "feel" to some degree, in my opinion you "felt" too much. The fact that you even say you want to play "more human" doesn't help. You also never state a motivation towards Bradley acting more human, all you mention is that it makes it easier for his co-workers to interact with him.

As said above, your story is very detailed, but you actually write it properly, instead doing a weird thing of addressing actions in-between slashes for some reason. Formatting, is also not your greatest strength apparently.

-1 from me.
First of all thank you for your feedback.
In Synth guidelines, while it does state that Synths can show emotion, they don't feel anything in fact. They can't feel any emotion. (David 8 for example says it in their commercial) While not being able to feel emotion they can understand it. Bradley didn't feel any emotion during the whole mission, he merely tried to mimick what would be appropriate in that situation in order to make sure the humans around him are more comfortable.

You talked about Bradley needing a motivation to act more human. He does not. He is a synthetic, a machine, he was created and he was created to act more human, even more human than earliert model D8, which acted very human. Does D8 need a motivation to act human? They were programmed to act that way, to make their human co-workers more comfortable (which increases productivity and reduces risks) and that is all.

I agree that my story lacks formatting. While I did thought of my format idea as new and maybe cool, I can see that people might find it hard to read.
ImageImageImage

Snypehunter007
Byond: Snypehunter007

Post by Snypehunter007 » 30 Aug 2017, 10:23

xywenx00 wrote:Bradley didn't feel any emotion during the whole mission, he merely tried to mimick what would be appropriate in that situation in order to make sure the humans around him are more comfortable.
Why?
Reached "Leet" post status on 3/14/17.
Death of the Suggestion Killer - 11/30/2017

Staff History:
► Show Spoiler

xywenx00

Post by xywenx00 » 30 Aug 2017, 12:46

Snypehunter007 wrote:Why?
"They were programmed to act that way, to make their human co-workers more comfortable (which increases productivity and reduces risks) and that is all."

Second part of my response.

There are many reasons why making the humans around you more comfortable is beneficial to an artificial person.

For example they see you more as a part of them (humans) which allows for them to give more details as an example and they feel less threatened by an AI presence. Which in turn adds more options for the AP. Less threatened humans might protect the AP or give intel about various things. It also allows for more productivity on both sides.
ImageImageImage

xywenx00

Post by xywenx00 » 30 Aug 2017, 12:55

Also, Bradley after all working with co-workers. He is not alone on the USS Almayer and his creators thought giving him a little more "humanity" even more than D8 might prove beneficial. D8 is after all a commercial product.
ImageImageImage

Feweh
Donor
Donor
Byond: Feweh

Post by Feweh » 04 Sep 2017, 23:41

Good explanation, accepted