Evelyn - Retrokinesis' Synthetic Application

Retrokinesis
Byond: Retrokinesis

Evelyn - Retrokinesis' Synthetic Application

Post by Retrokinesis » 04 Jun 2018, 01:54

Byond ID:
Retrokinesis

Marine Name (so we know who you are; if you play alien mostly, state that here):
Audrey Aulin

Name/Designation of the Synth Character you’re requesting to use (Follows common naming rules, and requires a first name with no last name) Examples of acceptable names: James, Mason, Xavier, Felix, Otto, Allan, Jessica Examples of unacceptable names: Obama, Jesus, King, Dragon, Godly, Snyper, Circuits
Evelyn

Are you familiar with the Synthetic Programming and Guidelines (viewtopic.php?f=57&t=14417)?
Yes. Key takeaways for me here are: obey all lawful orders regardless of your opinion of them and that, while you may defend yourself or others, you are not a combat unit and should not be fighting any more than is absolutely necessary.

Synthetic Character Story (An ADEQUATE description and story of your Synthetics actions and involvement in a previous mission onboard the Almayer):
► Show Spoiler
How do you intend to play your Synth (as in, describe HOW you will act/play your Synth and what support roles you’ll mainly focus on, what is your synthetics quirk)?
Evelyn would strive to be as useful as possible at all times, switching roles on-the-fly based on whatever is most needed at the moment rather than focusing on just medical or engineering or the like. Personality-wise, she is extremely friendly and upbeat even in the midst of a crisis, and perfectly polite even with people who brush her off.

Her quirk is that she has a higher-than-average desire for social interaction and acceptance compared to most synths and has discovered an effective way of meeting said desire: asking questions. Questions prompt a response in a way statements do not; she'd say "Commander, should I deploy to assist with that?" rather than "I'll deploy to assist with that".

She wouldn't let this get in the way of doing her job, of course. Someone who's currently bleeding to death isn't going to be asked if they would like to not be bleeding to death. But she probably would ask if they were in pain and where, partially to keep them focused and partially just to have someone to talk to.

How familiar are you with support roles? (ie; Medical, MT, Science, SO)
Medical: Squad Medic is my primary ground role and Doctor my primary ship role (with a few rounds as CMO as well), so I consider myself very well-versed in every aspect of medical. I can do surgery without the wiki and have memorized the most commonly-requested chemistry recipes. I know how to use the autodoc, sleepers, and cryotubes properly. I can handle high-pressure situations like triage and treatment at the front line and know which injuries warrant an immediate medevac versus heading to the dropship versus being patched up and sent back to the front.

Science: While science currently doesn't have many mechanics of its own beyond planting eggs and doing autopsies, I know my way around the research lab and morgue. I'd also be very interested in learning any additional science mechanics that may be added in the future, so Evelyn would be up-to-date on those.

Engineering: I've played Squad Engineer, Maintenance Tech, and Chief Engineer multiple times and can say I'm capable of doing all of it, though not quite as well as medical. I know how to fix power and set the SMES, both on the Almayer and on the ground. I can repair APCs and restore comms after a hijack. I can build and repair fortifications and am fairly well-versed in the theory behind proper FOB construction. I can prep the dropships and tank and keep the latter repaired in the field. Also, I know how to setup and operate a mortar.

Command: Staff Officer was the first non-PFC role I ever played and I consider myself fairly competent at it. I've played XO with no CO present and, while I can't exactly claim to be a master strategist, I can come up with a plan of action and deliver a briefing without embarrassing myself (not that a synth should be doing that, of course). The first time I ever played XO I failed to set the proper IFF privileges on an ID card for a survivor who later stepped on a mine, so I will never ever make that particular mistake again. As overwatch I communicate well with my squad, use messages to avoid undermining the SL's authority when necessary, politely bother requisitions until they fulfill supply requests, guide the squad to missing or dead marines, and keep command updated with the squad's status and location. I'm also careful to never fire an OB without both confirming the offsets and waiting for an actual "fire" command, not just "set".

Supply: I'll admit that this is my weakest area. I know where most of the gear is and what to prep ahead of time for quick access, as well as how many things each person should generally be given and which roles have priority for what. I can prep a supply drop or drag stuff to and from the dropships. I have a general idea of which crates are worth ordering and which aren't, though I probably wouldn't want to run the entire department myself in the absence of an RO due to lacking the intuition for what will be useful to order for near-future use that makes good ROs seem psychic.

Piloting: I don't think I've ever seen a synth pilot but the wiki says they have the skills for it, so I figure better safe than sorry! I've flown both CAS and transport and am familiar with the loadouts and setup of both. I can work the medevac stretcher and grab two people per trip even while solo. I also know not to launch too early as transport so I don't leave half the marines behind during an evac.

Security: I've played MP and am pretty familiar with marine law, though synths are not MPs and, like command staff, should not be actively enforcing it or brigging people. They're also completely unable to break marine law, which admittedly isn't much of an issue for me because I generally play Audrey as being a stickler for the rules (most of the time). I know how to keep security records updated, work the forensic scanner, and file evidence. I also know to keep an eye on the checkpoints if there are no MPs to do it so everyone isn't stuck on the wrong half of the ship.

Why should we whitelist you?
I love support roles. Even my favorite ground roles (medic and engineer) are support roles. The synth is the ultimate support role and the only one that can swap mid-round and fill-in for anything missing. It actually bothers me when I start a round as something like a doctor and see there are four doctors, two researchers, and a CMO but zero MTs and no CE because I feel like I should have gone engineering so there was at least someone keeping the power on. A synth could do that and more, ensuring req is never closed due to lack of staff or squads go without overwatch because there aren't enough SOs.

Furthermore, I feel like RPing as a synth would be incredibly interesting and unique. Evelyn's quirk and personality are designed to make her very easy to RP with, so people who actually want to talk to her aren't going to find a silent-but-competent brick wall. Switching roles frequently would also give her the most opportunities to interact with different people.

Have you been banned from CM in the last month for any reason (we will check, and lies may result in immediate denial)?
No

Are you currently banned from any other servers and if so, why?
No

Do you understand that any player - donor or otherwise - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our rules or the Synthetic Programming Guideline?
Of course. Synths would be tremendously overpowered without any constraints on their behavior, and the intricacies of RPing a synth mindset are an important part of that as well.
Audrey Aulin, found (drinking tea) in various roles

Evelyn, the ever-helpful synth

MattAtlas
Byond: MattAtlas

Re: Evelyn - Retrokinesis' Synthetic Application

Post by MattAtlas » 04 Jun 2018, 06:55

Story is a bit short but it shows what a synth does and who your synth is decently well. You have a good grasp on what a synth does too.

Your quirk is a bit bland I would say-- nothing that treads on new ground but it's especially hard to come up with an above-good quirk nowadays.

But I can tell you put a real lot of effort in here. Neutral leaning to +1. If the story was a bit longer and the quirk was better I'd give a +1 without a doubt.
I'm part of the Synthetic Council with ThesoldierLLJK and Jakkkk. Feel free to DM me on the forums or Discord (Matt#5881) if you have any questions about synths.

Jakkkk
Byond: Jakkkk

Post by Jakkkk » 04 Jun 2018, 15:57

I am at a neutral leaning +1 as well, I like how your quirk introduces a dialogue change with the "need for assurance" questions, and the only reason I am not at an entire +1 is because I have never seen your character before. What timezone do you play on?
Olaf's dossier: viewtopic.php?f=91&t=16128
Mortimer: viewtopic.php?f=149&t=16195
Xarvis Ut'ur-era: viewtopic.php?f=124&t=17817

Synthetic Council Term One, along with Sleepy Retard and MattAtlas.

"Harry, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee."

Retrokinesis

Post by Retrokinesis » 04 Jun 2018, 16:28

Jakkkk wrote:
04 Jun 2018, 15:57
I am at a neutral leaning +1 as well, I like how your quirk introduces a dialogue change with the "need for assurance" questions, and the only reason I am not at an entire +1 is because I have never seen your character before. What timezone do you play on?
Typically fairly late EST, 6 PM to 3 AM or so. I try to get at least one or two rounds in every day though I'm almost always in charlie squad on the ground or medbay on the ship, so it's entirely possible to miss me based on circumstance alone. Which is actually one of the reasons I think RPing as a synth could be really fun; you're not locked in to one squad or role each round and have a ton of opportunities to talk to different people as you move around to assist with new things.

Rohesie
Byond: Rohesie

Post by Rohesie » 05 Jun 2018, 14:51

I've seen you playing plenty, and you have been a competent engineer, a top-tier medic/doctor, and a generally good marine always with a positive and mature attitude. I can perfectly see you pulling out that quirk of yours well, and I quite enjoyed the end of your story. It's a line of thought that if carried further can lead to very interesting things.

You are competent in all the required areas, excelling in some of them, and are a good player and RPer. This is a very strong +1 from me.
Chibi Lyds by Okand37

Enceri
Byond: Enceri

Post by Enceri » 05 Jun 2018, 17:04

I've enjoyed all my moments with Audrey, and I know they're a good player. The story was a good read, and I enjoyed it. I hope you do well on your app, and i'll be leaving my +1 here.

Good luck.

Gnorse
Byond: Gnorse
Steam: Gnorse2

Post by Gnorse » 08 Jun 2018, 08:10

I didn't interact with Audrey all that much, but from the few rounds I've shared with her she's been a fantastic marine. Capable of RP as well.
As others have said, story's a bit short but it was fun to read.
It's hard to come up with an original quirk nowadays, so It's okay in my book.

Overall, Good app. You have my +1.
-local suicidal delta PFC. No, not murry, the other one- : Oussama 'DOA' Neghiz
Please don't follow me if you don't want to die
Occasional commander, Part-time smartgunner and Full-time PFC.

Image (Huge thanks to Okand37 for making this cute boi !)

CSolaris
Byond: CSolaris

Post by CSolaris » 08 Jun 2018, 10:13

I like it. +1, Audrey is a great doctor, medic and all around player. The story is well written, and the quirk I could really care less about (a unique quirk that follows typical Synth guidelines that hasn't been used already is pretty hard to come by in my opinion, so it's not a pivotal point).
Image Dr. Canaan 'Sol' Solaris
Friendly Neighborhood Surgeon / CMO | Eccentric Researcher of Various Fields | Occasional Engineerino | Pizza Party Staff Officer | Backline Medic | Thicc Prae Player
Retired.
Welcome to the Medbay!

ThatKazakhDude
Byond: The_Walking_Problem

Post by ThatKazakhDude » 10 Jun 2018, 01:59

Story seems fairly well written to me with enough details about your synth.
Quirk is kinda similar to lots of others,but then again i know that it is really hard to come up with an original quirk
I dont see your character all that often in game, but that is probably due to timezone. Those few times that i did see you, you showed yourself competent

Thats a +1 from me,really hope to rp with Evelyn in the future

Retrokinesis

Post by Retrokinesis » 12 Jun 2018, 00:18

Thank you everyone for your support and critique so far! I don't want to respond individually and keep bumping this, but I do want you to know that I really appreciate it. I'm also more than willing to answer any questions or concerns people might have so please feel free to post them.
MattAtlas wrote:
04 Jun 2018, 06:55
Story is a bit short but it shows what a synth does and who your synth is decently well. You have a good grasp on what a synth does too.

Your quirk is a bit bland I would say-- nothing that treads on new ground but it's especially hard to come up with an above-good quirk nowadays.

But I can tell you put a real lot of effort in here. Neutral leaning to +1. If the story was a bit longer and the quirk was better I'd give a +1 without a doubt.
I actually did originally have an extra section after that to showcase non-mortar engineering, but I figured that was a good place to stop it from a narrative perspective and there was a limit to how much people were willing to read anyway. I'd like to talk a little bit more about the quirk, though, since I agree that's a thing that can be a bit of an issue nowadays. Rather than being a trait in and of itself, I feel like a synth's quirk should be a beacon that shows their general attitude and approach to situations without being the sum total of their personality. In Evelyn's case that would mean she's proactive in seeking out opportunities to interact with others, generally polite and well-meaning, inclined to assist wherever she's likely to be perceived as being the most helpful, and curious but mostly with regards to people and less so situations or objects. It would serve as an indicator of her likely responses, not a response on its own.

In short, it should be a common thread throughout the synth's interactions without being "this is the one sentence description of my character as well". Especially since it does get harder and harder to come up with interesting and relevant ones with every synth that gets approved (unless you step on someone else's character, which is just plain rude) and since "polite" and "curious" are pretty much just common synth personality traits rather than quirks.

Sulaboy
Byond: Sulaboy
Steam: Danger

Post by Sulaboy » 15 Jun 2018, 22:42

Your application is pretty good. The story does a good job of demonstrating what a synthetic does, and how your synthetic is different. I really enjoyed how indepth the section on your skills was. The amount of detail put in assures me that you are competent for any role a synthetic might need to handle.

I've also gotten to see you ingame recently, and this is what really sold me. You put in a lot of effort when you play. I really value people putting in effort into their role or roleplay. I think you will make a great synthetic. +1
Clancy 'Danger' Long
Ethan
A̸̧̭̰̮̰̜̥͈̱̲̫̲̭͋̄̈̍̉̓̿̊̃H̸͈̬̗̓̄̒̇̿̀̏̎͑͊̇̃̇͝Ĥ̴̨̧̨̩̞̗̤͝ͅH̴͔͕͊̄̓̐̀͝

I_Solve_Practical_Problems

Post by I_Solve_Practical_Problems » 16 Jun 2018, 00:09

I can't +1 this application enough.

Synth seems like a tough role, not only because you need to be robust in all support roles but also able to carry a consistent RP gimmick. Nonetheless, I'm sure Retrokinesis will be able to fully address both in spades. I've seen them play almost every support role but req to an extremely competent level, and I always know I'm going to get patched up quick and effectively when I see them as CMO.

As for the RP, I think Retro is a great RPer, and I think the character gimmick is novel. I've always enjoyed having them in the CIC as well as in engineering and on the battlefield. I'll admit, I was a little apprehensive when I began reading the gimmick because I expect a synth to be capable of handling all tasks regardless of gimmick. Anything otherwise would be like buying a toaster that can't toast bread, but I think a synth that asks questions and actively stays involved in the situation means they'll be more than robot butler that stands in the corner of CIC and sometimes does stuff when explicitly ordered by the CO.
Billy 'Tex' Williams, the God-Fearing Cowboy from Tejas
John 'Devil' Faust, your friendly Southerner with German heritage

Bancrose
Byond: Bancrose

Post by Bancrose » 18 Jun 2018, 20:13

Another Medical Synthetic.

Not enough medics, so clearly there is one choice.

+1
Commander Councilman. Along with Takethehot56, Lumdor, Dr.Lance, Frans Fieffer. PM me or any of them for inquiries about Commander.

Kommandant Heinz 'Wulfe' Meuller | Commander Arthur Montgomery

"One must not judge everyone in the world by his qualities as a soldier: otherwise we should have no civilization." - Erwin Rommel

Image | Image

ThesoldierLLJK
Byond: ThesoldierLLJK
Steam: thesoldier20

Post by ThesoldierLLJK » 22 Jun 2018, 09:14

Audrey is probably one of the best roleplayers on the server and the story shows what a synthetic is supposed to do and how they act.
+1

Retrokinesis

Post by Retrokinesis » 25 Jun 2018, 21:48

I really appreciate all the feedback and support I've gotten so far. I find it difficult to judge my own RP abilities sometimes so it's really helpful to hear other people's take on them.

I'd also like to add that I've played some more supply roles since I wrote the application and, while it's still probably my weakest area comparatively, I've gotten a better handle on the typical flow of requested orders for the average round and am more confident in my ability to get things like food, metal, and ammo care packages ready ahead of time. I'm still not the best RO or anything but I feel pretty confident in the role even without any CTs to back me up.

Arbs
Byond: Arbs

Post by Arbs » 04 Jul 2018, 16:43

Excellent medic main and no doubt they'll adapt well to the all-around profile of a synthetic. And their quirk is also being helpful and seeking interactions. Just what makes a good synth.

+1

Aceluke123
Byond: Aceluke123

Post by Aceluke123 » 08 Jul 2018, 20:40

MattAtlas wrote:
04 Jun 2018, 06:55

Similar to what MatAtlas has said I pretty much agree with their statement on your application. Though your story is a good length to show your quirk so that is fine to me.

General consensus from the community is a plus to the application. I can agree with them as you have shown your quirk in your story somewhat, though it is a rather difficult one to agree with as it is difficult to see in an active round on the server if I'm honest.

With your high activity on the server, I will give this a +1
I'm not crazy, you're crazy.
-Alex Rossfield

Nicknamed 'Clover,' 'Lover,' and... well I'd rather not say.
If I notice you, good job. It means you're probably worth my time.

Dossier - viewtopic.php?f=91&t=16782
► Show Spoiler

Sargeantmuffinman

Post by Sargeantmuffinman » 09 Jul 2018, 07:27

Well there's enough feedback here to say that you're worth it.

+1.
George S.Patton once said:No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making some other poor dumb bastard die for his country.

I don't like cute things.

Good hunting.

freemysoul
Byond: freemysoul

Post by freemysoul » 09 Jul 2018, 07:48

+1 Support from me, No note history and a large amount of +1s. The story is fairly short, But from the looks of it you have fairly good knowledge of the job roles. Have fun if you get whitelisted.

Solarmare
Byond: Solarmare

Post by Solarmare » 09 Jul 2018, 17:15

I'll leave a +1 here, no issues have come from you. There's a fair amount of positive feedback and you seem able to understand how a synth should be played.
Can you heeeeaaaaar am I floating in my tin can. A last glimpse of the world.
Planet Earth is blue, and there's nothing left to do.

Forum Rule #2: Do NOT post in an appeal if you are not contributing as a witness, if you are keep it simple and easy to read.

Emeraldblood
Byond: Emerald Blood

Post by Emeraldblood » 10 Jul 2018, 16:26

Resolved - Accepted; whitelist should be updated next round.
Ban Appeal Users: If I've lifted your perma ban and you're still unable to log onto the server, send me a forum PM regarding it and I'll work to get it fixed in ~24 hours.

Emerald Blood: CM's mommy and the only head staff who does anything. Even though I hate you all sometimes, I still love you.