Joan - Kingdom Come? Here's the Deliverance!

Okand37
Byond: Okand37

Joan - Kingdom Come? Here's the Deliverance!

Post by Okand37 » 02 Oct 2018, 15:19

Byond ID:
Okand37

Marine Name (so we know who you are; if you play alien mostly, state that here):
Verena Knox

Name/Designation of the Synth Character you’re requesting to use:
Joan

Are you familiar with the Synthetic Programming and Guidelines (http://www.colonial-marines.com/viewtop ... 57&t=14417)?
I have read up on the programming and guidelines pages to ensure an acceptable level of understanding!

Synthetic Character Story (An ADEQUATE description and story of your Synthetics actions and involvement in a previous mission onboard the Almayer):
► Show Spoiler
How do you intend to play your Synth (as in, describe HOW you will act/play your Synth and what support roles you’ll mainly focus on, what is your synthetics quirk)?
I intend to play my synthetic as if they were a noble, European knight sometime within the middle ages to renaissance period. When referring to places, individuals, and items, I'd like to bring a silly and amusing change of pace with this quirky character. Gameplay wise, I'd likely focus primarily on the construction and maintenance of bases, but am more than happy to fill any support role necessary as of the time!

How familiar are you with support roles? (ie; Medical, MT, Science, SO)
I consider myself of average proficiency with each role. I'm aware of how building works both mechanically and tactically, the basic ins-and-outs of requisitions, how to perform surgeries, and how not to over-medicate my patients.

Why should we whitelist you?
I'd like to think that I am an experienced roleplayer and try to demonstrate my willingness to do such, even if it is at the cost of my own success. I'm willing to go out of my way to try to engage and include individuals in memorable and comical scenarios while fulfilling what duties and responsibilities the role has. I think my synthetic could add an interesting avenue of play and would be amusing to interact with, providing laughs and good quality roleplaying!

Have you been banned from CM in the last month for any reason (we will check, and lies may result in immediate denial)?
I have not!

Are you currently banned from any other servers and if so, why?
I have never been banned from any other server!

Do you understand that any player - donor or otherwise - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our rules or the Synthetic Programming Guideline?
Definitely!
I play Verena Knox, an extremely unlucky girl, among other characters.

Jakkkk
Byond: Jakkkk

Re: Joan - Kingdom Come? Here's the Deliverance!

Post by Jakkkk » 02 Oct 2018, 15:28

If the commander asked you to talk like a normal person, what would you say?
Olaf's dossier: viewtopic.php?f=91&t=16128
Mortimer: viewtopic.php?f=149&t=16195
Xarvis Ut'ur-era: viewtopic.php?f=124&t=17817

Synthetic Council Term One, along with Sleepy Retard and MattAtlas.

"Harry, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee."

Okand37

Post by Okand37 » 02 Oct 2018, 15:37

Jakkkk wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 15:28
If the commander asked you to talk like a normal person, what would you say?
A synthetic's quirk is apart of their programming, and as such, it'd be like telling someone with an natural accent to speak "normally". For the synthetic, that would be its default, programmed speech pattern. If I was asked to talk like a normal person, I'd likely try to make a humorous quip hinting towards the inherent nature of the quirk. If it helps alleviate the issue for them, however, I would try to use words that go in line with my quirk but are more easily understood, opting to simplify my lexicon without losing what makes my synthetic unique.

z a n e b o t
Byond: z a n e b o t

Post by z a n e b o t » 02 Oct 2018, 15:39

Oh yuh +1 this seems pretty cool

Enceri
Byond: Enceri

Post by Enceri » 02 Oct 2018, 15:43

The quirk is pretty unique, a medieval based one. I like it, feel like it'd be pretty damn unique to see aboard. And I know they can play engineer and medical roles thoroughly.

Good luck, +1.

Vampmare
Byond: Vampmare

Post by Vampmare » 02 Oct 2018, 15:56

Me times fifty and a robot. I can't really say no now, can I? +1

Now for some actual useful feedback:

I would have liked the story to show a more realistic scenario on Almayer. Just to really get a feeling on how the quirk and you will work out in actual gameplay. Otherwise story was good.

My experiences interacting with Knox has always been HighRP and enjoying, so I'm sure you can pull of a Synthetic.

Knowing from my personal experiences some people don't want to play along, well they actually get annoyed at you. How do you intend to deal with this? even if its the CO.
I have a few whitelists and a few characters...

Okand37

Post by Okand37 » 02 Oct 2018, 16:11

Vampmare wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 15:56
I would have liked the story to show a more realistic scenario on Almayer. Just to really get a feeling on how the quirk and you will work out in actual gameplay. Otherwise story was good.

Knowing from my personal experiences some people don't want to play along, well they actually get annoyed at you. How do you intend to deal with this? even if its the CO.
If it helps, to give you a further idea of how I'd like to incorporate my quirk into regular play, it'd primarily be a vocabulary switch: Calling commanders kings or queens, referring to engineers as masons/carpenters/stonewrights, calling the doctors clerics or apothecaries, referring to the brig and its military police as the dungeon and the guards, and so forth. Some more visible emotes might be replacing a salute with a bow, for example!

I tend to play roleplaying games with silly quirks, and especially as Verena, its very commonplace to run into people who don't want to play along or outright refuse to attempt to co-operate with you due to it. As a synthetic, I'd likely approach this in the same way: I'll always try my best to make sure I can accommodate for others by simplifying my vocabulary as much as I can while retaining my characteristics. Although they can sometimes be a bit silly, it doesn't and will not deter me from still following what orders they may give me (so long as they're not in violation of marine law or synth programming) to the best of my ability. Even if those people don't want to co-operate, there are still other people in the round and server who may want to engage in such silly parley, or may be relying on me to fulfill my responsibilities, and I'll do my best not to let anyone down!

As for them getting annoyed at me, there's really nothing I can do to control their reactions. I'll do my best to mitigate issues and work with them, and I'll still do what is asked of me, but you can never fully please anyone. Doesn't mean you can't try though! :)

ThesoldierLLJK
Byond: ThesoldierLLJK
Steam: thesoldier20

Post by ThesoldierLLJK » 02 Oct 2018, 16:13

Okand I like you, I really do but I cannot support this gimmick. There's no way a synth would have a quirk like that, and we even have talked about this in the synth channel that "YE OLDE SYNTH" quirks would not work

Okand37

Post by Okand37 » 02 Oct 2018, 16:19

ThesoldierLLJK wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 16:13
Okand I like you, I really do but I cannot support this gimmick. There's no way a synth would have a quirk like that, and we even have talked about this in the synth channel that "YE OLDE SYNTH" quirks would not work
I understand and respect your opinion, but I'd have to disagree! To me, there's an emphasis on uniqueness when it comes to having a quirk. There are lots of other quirks out there I could have attempted that may have been more thematic, but this one in specific reached out me and I believe that a person is at their best when they're doing something they enjoy. I think allowing a more flexible level of creativity when people are creating these sort of characters is important, as it allows a larger, more rewarding variety of individuals that amplifies the enjoyment of meeting a new synth: If they're all vastly different, it'll be quite the adventure to meet each and every new one!

However, I appreciate you taking the time to comment nonetheless. I think it'd be worth giving it a shot, but if not, it was certainly fun to try! :p

Sleepy Retard
Byond: ElDefaultio
Steam: Fat Rigatoni

Post by Sleepy Retard » 02 Oct 2018, 16:29

-1 extremely ill fitting gimmick. In the story, you've portrayed your synth as one who doesn't mind insulting Marines either. Don't get me wrong, the odd tasteful banter is amusing for all, but 'knave' strikes all the wrong boxes.

As someone with a gimmick involving non standard vocab and an accent, the ability or willingness to not play with it for a while is almost just crucial for me. If I had you as my synth and you refused to just speak normally I'd tell you not to talk over my command radio. I don't want to pull out my dictionary and figure out what you're saying - doubly so if this information is important for me. To me, a synthetic is designed to fit in. However - it doesn't have to fit in perfectly with it's assigned ship. Mortimer would be perfect in a richmans estate. Chloe is a bland and functional synth, perfect for government work. Lily and Emma would be great in a social, PR situation. Goldman, respectively, would fit in sound in a industrial London setting.

Where does yours fit in? I suppose a LARPing convention. But why would The Company design a synthetic such as Joan?

The story is okay. Besides the issue of calling Marines knaves, and insinuating they'll be lashed for failure to perform work - it was written well. It wasn't engaging at all, but that's not much to detract from these stories. It portrayed your quirk well - even if that's a negative.

Again, a -1. I'd love to see you apply again with a more fitting quirk. I know you've the chops to do it
Image I was a Synth Councilmen, alongside Jakkk, MattAtlas, SovietKitty and Omicega.

Have any questions or concerns about Synthetic? PM me on the forums, or contact me on the CM discord under the name sleepy#1984 with the nickname Sleepy Retard.

MattAtlas
Byond: MattAtlas

Post by MattAtlas » 02 Oct 2018, 16:35

Sleepy summed up everything I feel quite well.

We've discussed this a bit but I can't find a reason to think this gimmick is ok beyond "it's unique". It sounds good on paper, sure. It sounds good because it's unique, sure. But in the game? No, no way.

I need to be able to understand the guy I'm talking to on the fly, communication is crucial and quirks that get in the way of communication as much as this one do aren't good in my eyes. I had to ask what "knave" meant because I legitimately didn't know. What if this happened with a CO that told you to do something?

The story is written well, but the quirk... drags it down. But it shows you have what it takes to make a better one! Please don't let this be discouraging to you, but this quirk is a miss in my opinion.

I'm part of the Synthetic Council with ThesoldierLLJK and Jakkkk. Feel free to DM me on the forums or Discord (Matt#5881) if you have any questions about synths.

Okand37

Post by Okand37 » 02 Oct 2018, 18:25

El Defaultio wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 16:29
-1 extremely ill fitting gimmick. In the story, you've portrayed your synth as one who doesn't mind insulting Marines either. Don't get me wrong, the odd tasteful banter is amusing for all, but 'knave' strikes all the wrong boxes.

As someone with a gimmick involving non standard vocab and an accent, the ability or willingness to not play with it for a while is almost just crucial for me. If I had you as my synth and you refused to just speak normally I'd tell you not to talk over my command radio. I don't want to pull out my dictionary and figure out what you're saying - doubly so if this information is important for me. To me, a synthetic is designed to fit in. However - it doesn't have to fit in perfectly with it's assigned ship. Mortimer would be perfect in a richmans estate. Chloe is a bland and functional synth, perfect for government work. Lily and Emma would be great in a social, PR situation. Goldman, respectively, would fit in sound in a industrial London setting.

Where does yours fit in? I suppose a LARPing convention. But why would The Company design a synthetic such as Joan?

The story is okay. Besides the issue of calling Marines knaves, and insinuating they'll be lashed for failure to perform work - it was written well. It wasn't engaging at all, but that's not much to detract from these stories. It portrayed your quirk well - even if that's a negative.

Again, a -1. I'd love to see you apply again with a more fitting quirk. I know you've the chops to do it
I'll try my best to answer each one here individually to the best of my ability:

The story was intended to be a humorous exaggeration to put emphasis on the silly and comical approach I'd be making with this character. It was meant to contract the synthetic's whimsical, outdated, and somewhat unrealistic outlook on the world in part with their programming compared to reality with a sharp thematic contrast to further isolate the quirk. Knave was used in the story to play on this exaggeration, and while I can't understand your personal claim of its inappropriate use, I apologise if it seemed upsetting.

I've played characters with and without accents, and while I am fine with either, I take enjoyment in using an interesting approach to speech because it adds a unique form of personality to the character. When I read "quirky", to me, its defined as being "peculiar" and is very synonymous with eccentric. The speech is by no means any more intrusive than someone simply using larger, more technical words, and you wouldn't encounter anything you couldn't regularly with any other role; anyone is capable of using the words I'm using. As for the character being able to work without it, I don't see what the point of a quirk would be then: how would it be a programmed quirk if it could simply be toggled off on a whim? Why have it all in that case?
You emphasize that a synthetic is designed to fit in, but the application process strongly emphasizes how a character is supposed to be unique, interesting, and creative. I don't think its fair to specify a desire for a peculiar oddity then expect generic-if not exaggerated-stereotypes of modern day nationalities as the acceptable form of quirk.

Doubling on what I mentioned earlier, the story was intended to be humorous as opposed to serious, hence why I emphasized a comical approach in the rest of my application.
MattAtlas wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 16:35
Sleepy summed up everything I feel quite well.

We've discussed this a bit but I can't find a reason to think this gimmick is ok beyond "it's unique". It sounds good on paper, sure. It sounds good because it's unique, sure. But in the game? No, no way.

I need to be able to understand the guy I'm talking to on the fly, communication is crucial and quirks that get in the way of communication as much as this one do aren't good in my eyes. I had to ask what "knave" meant because I legitimately didn't know. What if this happened with a CO that told you to do something?

The story is written well, but the quirk... drags it down. But it shows you have what it takes to make a better one! Please don't let this be discouraging to you, but this quirk is a miss in my opinion.

Stemming from the above, I'll answer or readdress what was mentioned specifically:

I'd like to reiterate and stress that the application process, commenters, and staff members, as well as synthetic players, all tend to be very critical of applications that they find stale or boring. I think the unspoken desire for conformity when the emphasis has been placed on a word akin to eccentric or peculiar is personally confusing, and I think it merely limits the potential for interesting and amusing story-telling.

I had hoped to display from the examples of my character's speech that I gave above that it'd portray the only quirk was a vocabulary change. Words such as knave, levy, serfs, and mason are not entirely uncommon words--if not largely represented out of books. I'd reiterate on the above: If they have difficulty understanding, I'll try my best to switch up my lexicon to simplify it for their convenience. :)

Regardless of the negative votes, I appreciate you both taking the time out of your days to comment on the application. Thank you!

Bancrose
Byond: Bancrose

Post by Bancrose » 02 Oct 2018, 18:47

Look I'm just a dumb Commander, what do I know about synthetic quirks and shit.

+1
Commander Councilman. Along with Takethehot56, Lumdor, Dr.Lance, Frans Fieffer. PM me or any of them for inquiries about Commander.

Kommandant Heinz 'Wulfe' Meuller | Commander Arthur Montgomery

"One must not judge everyone in the world by his qualities as a soldier: otherwise we should have no civilization." - Erwin Rommel

Image | Image

Sleepy Retard

Post by Sleepy Retard » 02 Oct 2018, 19:52

Okand37 wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 18:25
words
To address your concerns:
" how would it be a programmed quirk if it could simply be toggled off on a whim? Why have it all in that case?"
Quirks are just that. Quirks, if they get in the way of an effective and efficient workplace, there's no reason to keep them on. If it is negative to the mission's success or fluidness - why have it all in that case?

"Furthermore, Weyland-Yutani gives each synthetic a random single personality quirk, such as passive aggressive, sarcastic, cheery, comedic, rude, quiet, proud etc. " - from the Synthetic Guidelines.
A random single personality quirk. Is acting like a noblemen from years past a quirk? Yes, undeniably. Is it a single personality quirk? That's where it gets doubtful. Again, you've taken the quirk and went overboard with it. A little too much, so to say.

"You emphasize that a synthetic is designed to fit in, but the application process strongly emphasizes how a character is supposed to be unique, interesting, and creative."
If you had taken the time to read what I said, you would note that I said they'd fit in their respective environments. The Almayer is not their natural environment, so to say. Where would you even fit in? A playhouse?

"I don't think its fair to specify a desire for a peculiar oddity then expect generic-if not exaggerated-stereotypes of modern day nationalities as the acceptable form of quirk."

We don't expect that at all, again, if you bothered to read the synthetic guidelines....
"Furthermore, Weyland-Yutani gives each synthetic a random single personality quirk, such as passive aggressive, sarcastic, cheery, comedic, rude, quiet, proud etc. " - from the Synthetic Guidelines.
Image I was a Synth Councilmen, alongside Jakkk, MattAtlas, SovietKitty and Omicega.

Have any questions or concerns about Synthetic? PM me on the forums, or contact me on the CM discord under the name sleepy#1984 with the nickname Sleepy Retard.

Okand37

Post by Okand37 » 02 Oct 2018, 20:07

El Defaultio wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 19:52
To address your concerns:
" how would it be a programmed quirk if it could simply be toggled off on a whim? Why have it all in that case?"
Quirks are just that. Quirks, if they get in the way of an effective and efficient workplace, there's no reason to keep them on. If it is negative to the mission's success or fluidness - why have it all in that case?

A random single personality quirk. Is acting like a noblemen from years past a quirk? Yes, undeniably. Is it a single personality quirk? That's where it gets doubtful. Again, you've taken the quirk and went overboard with it. A little too much, so to say.

"You emphasize that a synthetic is designed to fit in, but the application process strongly emphasizes how a character is supposed to be unique, interesting, and creative."
If you had taken the time to read what I said, you would note that I said they'd fit in their respective environments. The Almayer is not their natural environment, so to say. Where would you even fit in? A playhouse?

"I don't think its fair to specify a desire for a peculiar oddity then expect generic-if not exaggerated-stereotypes of modern day nationalities as the acceptable form of quirk."

We don't expect that at all, again, if you bothered to read the synthetic guidelines....
I don't think the quirk gets in the way of an effective or efficient workspace. As I'd mentioned previously, the entire premise (vocabulary) merely replaces words such as the with thee or thou, are with art, and your with thy along with other widely recognized changes. Words such as knave, mason, levy, and serf (as previously mentioned) are the furthest extent of changed vocabulary I intend to use. I do not think this will impede with communications in any way shape or form, and I've mentioned that I'm willing to use simpler words (without compromising the gimmick in a whole). I'm sorry if you're unable to agree or see eye-to-eye, but I'd like to reassure you that I do not believe communication will be an issue in practice.

What defines it as overboard, then? Is a synth refering to people as lord or lady, sir or madam, or other terms like partner too overboard with their respective forms of nobility and western? In that sense, is replacing the word "commander" with "king" that different? You can argue that I'm using the above mentioned words, but anyone anywhere can use the exact vocabulary I used without it applying to any form of gimmick; it's just a lexicon. Being that this game is a medium roleplay server, and the synthetic position emphasizes on roleplay, does using outdated words with an outdated character really seem that far fetched?

I did take the time to read what you said, and you mentioned they often tend to fit in with their respective environments. Joan fits within her environment as much as a character playing any other form of stereotypical individuals throughout time. She fits within the year she's meant to represent, a time and a place.

As for your last comment, I've mentioned above as answer to the question that I have infact read the synthetic guidelines. What I was referring to, however, is the actual application process and the apparent mindset of those who judge it.

Sleepy Retard

Post by Sleepy Retard » 02 Oct 2018, 20:18

Okand37 wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 20:07
words
In response to your vocab, and words that people 'should' understand
MattAtlas wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 16:35
Now, for overboard. Your entire vocab is changed by it. Lets take Lily's one notable thing for example

Addressing someone: mister/miss

Now, lets take Mortimer's

Addressing non-commissioned: sir/ma'am
Addressing direct authority: master

Now, lets take mine.

Addressing shipside roles: brother
Addressing LTs/Ensigns: manager
Addressing direct authority: bossman/lady.

For you?

Engineer(?): Stonewrights
Medic: Cleric
Doctor: Apothecary
MPs: Guards
Commander: King/Queen
Brig: Dungeon
etc, etc.

You've changed your entire vocab to work around the gimmick, whereas most other synths take it light and have only a slight change, but enough to be notable. That is where it's gone over done. Changing one or two, three, maybe four - that's fine. But when you're changing most words in your vocab? That's where it gets to be a problem. Not everyone has the same grasp on older english as you, and it'll be confusing for some.

Again, that's wonderful your character is outdated. What purpose does it serve? Where does it fit in? It acts like it's outdated, but it's not something anyone would reasonably use - it's quirk fits nowhere. Again, as I stated before, the rest of the council members have synthetics that are able to mesh well and fit with certain places given their quirks.

Where does your practically fit in, current day?

In regards to the roleplay thing - yes, in fact, it seems far fetched. Because it's overboard, as stated above. Just because you can be super different, doesn't mean you should, and just because you are, doesn't mean it's good roleplay.

Okand37

Post by Okand37 » 02 Oct 2018, 20:33

El Defaultio wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 20:18
In response to your vocab, and words that people 'should' understand

Now, for overboard. Your entire vocab is changed by it. Lets take Lily's one notable thing for example

Addressing someone: mister/miss

Now, lets take Mortimer's

Addressing non-commissioned: sir/ma'am
Addressing direct authority: master

Now, lets take mine.

Addressing shipside roles: brother
Addressing LTs/Ensigns: manager
Addressing direct authority: bossman/lady.

For you?

Engineer(?): Stonewrights
Medic: Cleric
Doctor: Apothecary
MPs: Guards
Commander: King/Queen
Brig: Dungeon
etc, etc.

You've changed your entire vocab to work around the gimmick, whereas most other synths take it light and have only a slight change, but enough to be notable. That is where it's gone over done. Changing one or two, three, maybe four - that's fine. But when you're changing most words in your vocab? That's where it gets to be a problem. Not everyone has the same grasp on older english as you, and it'll be confusing for some.

Again, that's wonderful your character is outdated. What purpose does it serve? Where does it fit in? It acts like it's outdated, but it's not something anyone would reasonably use - it's quirk fits nowhere. Again, as I stated before, the rest of the council members have synthetics that are able to mesh well and fit with certain places given their quirks.

Where does your practically fit in, current day?

In regards to the roleplay thing - yes, in fact, it seems far fetched. Because it's overboard, as stated above. Just because you can be super different, doesn't mean you should, and just because you are, doesn't mean it's good roleplay.
But you're basing your entire argument off of the premise that my character will be difficult to understand, and doesn't fit in a modern-day stereotypical cliche?

I don't really want to go around in circles, as I understand we're going to keep our separate views, but I'd ask you-or others-consider a bit about the two points you've brought up. No, not everyone does have the same grasp on the vocabulary I do, but that can very well be true of any circumstance. Reading a book, playing a game, talking to other people-all of these situations you encounter new words, old words, or words you simply never knew. I'd elaborate on the point that my vocabulary doesn't use that many uncommon words, but we've crossed that bridge. I'd like to mention that I've also brought up the notion on multiple occasions that I would be willing to choose a lexicon that simplifies or downplays my usage of these words.

Yes, my character is outdated. What purpose does it serve? What purpose do any of the quirks serve; they exist to make the character stand out, to be unique, and to give them personality. Often, a synthetic is mentioned to possess imperfect emotions or personalities, either by representing them through over-exaggeration or under-representation. What would the other quirks have a purpose to be "reasonably used" for? A quirk isn't a resource to be mined, it's a defining characteristic. Simply because the rest of the council members who play synthetics have characters that fit perfectly in largely represented, modern-day environments does not nor should it mean that my character has to.

Does a cowboy character who uses yeehaw and giddy up differ that much from my character? What about a mafia boss that says "nay, see" or calls people finks and uses outdated lingo? How about a character who plays a detective and monologues to themselves, describing their environments, actions, and surroundings? What about a macho-wrestler who calls everyone brother? All of these characters fit a niche gimmick that is defined by a quirk and a setting. Their quirts fit in--to their time, their places, and their settings. I would say my character fits in just as much as a poet, a member of royalty, or other individuals who may act on formality.

Just because I can be different, doesn't mean I have to, no. But when I have the opportunity to and it creates the opportunity for amusing, comical roleplay that shows the character as a character while capitalizing on enjoyment in the roleplay, why shouldn't I be allowed to if everyone is having fun and if I'm following server rules? Just because you personally might not enjoy it, why does that qualify it as "bad roleplay"? I believe most players can vouch for me ingame that I try to act on a medium/high level of quality--if not goofy--roleplay.

VortexGaming
Byond: VortexGaming

Post by VortexGaming » 02 Oct 2018, 23:26

Alright I have some problems. One the story is rather short with the synth only talking three times. The quirk is as said a bit overboard. And I’m sad that I was never used as an example *cough* but Alicia? Calls people by pronouns a mother would call her child and occasionally if the situation isn’t very troublesome asking some people who seen a bit down if they would like a hug and such. Very simple yet noticeable as “appearently” it creeps everyone out. You have to be a walking dictionary from the 15 hundreds. From the words you use and how you speak in your story it would take me two minutes to respond to any question. Very troublesome and grueling when needing to multi task with say 5 wounded and the xo is screaming questions and orders at you. I’m going to have to go with a -1. Also what the fuck is flogging and what the fuck is a knave like that would honestly confuse me in the middle of a round to the point where I would genuinely ignore you or walk away.

I like you and all and I like how you wanted to make a unique character but some people are just too unique. Like if I were making a robot I can see used of all the synths dialogue in modern places, as previously said
Mortimer some rich guys house
Alicia a nursery
Zane a father figure
And others listed before this post.

Kaitlynn Lawson The Commander. http://www.cm-ss13.com/viewtopic.php?f=142&t=18802
Alicia:viewtopic.php?f=149&t=17406
Staff history
► Show Spoiler

Okand37

Post by Okand37 » 03 Oct 2018, 12:10

VortexGaming wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 23:26
Alright I have some problems. One the story is rather short with the synth only talking three times. The quirk is as said a bit overboard. And I’m sad that I was never used as an example *cough* but Alicia? Calls people by pronouns a mother would call her child and occasionally if the situation isn’t very troublesome asking some people who seen a bit down if they would like a hug and such. Very simple yet noticeable as “appearently” it creeps everyone out. You have to be a walking dictionary from the 15 hundreds. From the words you use and how you speak in your story it would take me two minutes to respond to any question. Very troublesome and grueling when needing to multi task with say 5 wounded and the xo is screaming questions and orders at you. I’m going to have to go with a -1. Also what the fuck is flogging and what the fuck is a knave like that would honestly confuse me in the middle of a round to the point where I would genuinely ignore you or walk away.

I like you and all and I like how you wanted to make a unique character but some people are just too unique. Like if I were making a robot I can see used of all the synths dialogue in modern places, as previously said
Mortimer some rich guys house
Alicia a nursery
Zane a father figure
And others listed before this post.

The story was intended to be short as I felt it portrayed the character well without additional length, short and sweet!
I'd stress on what I've said above regarding the vocabulary choice, and how I've mentioned the lexicon can easily be simplified by word choice, but if it helps to demonstrate I'll compare some basic dialogue lines:

"Where do you require my aid?" compared to my synthetic's version of "Where dost thou require my aid?". "Dost" is-in the most basic senses-akin to "do" with the added -st, whereas "thou" for "you" still shows the evident "ou" ending. Context in mind, or simply reading the phrase alone, makes it clear of its meaning.
"I shall be helping with requisitions and attachments." compared to "I shall be helping with thy forge in the smithing of attachments." Adding the addition of "attachments" provides enough context to show that the synthetic would be doing work related to attachments, and as mentioned above, rephrasing could simply provide different angles of expressing this same statement.
"I will be deploying onto the planet (big red) to help with the FOB." compared to "I will be aiding the masons in constructing a worthy fort upon the surface of these red sands." The key mentions here are "constructing" and "fort" along with a description of the planet's surface (big red, red sands) which elaborates on the meaning even if you don't happen to know what a mason is.
"There are aliens in the ship." compared to "Ah, the demons invade our kingdom!" Provided with context that the round would provide, I'd like to think the meaning of this phrase is very evident.

Ultimately, a lot of the actual word usage isn't that difficult to understand in context, and at most archaic words such as knave will be fitted into enough context to explain their meaning--at least in that context. Flogging, flagellation, whipping, or lashing are all akin to the same exact word, just various synonyms. The actual word likely wouldn't show up in day-to-day conversation, but my entire word choice and sentence structure present in the short-story were meant to play upon this comical exaggeration. A knave is defined as "a dishonest or unscrupulous man." Keeping this in mind with previous examples, let's look at some new ones in some story related scenarios:
Let's assume military police are discussing with an officer, the commander, or any other individual about a troublesome crew member, survivor, etc. The usage of the word "knave" on my behalf might be added in a jestful comment referring to said individual, "Ah, what a pity, but the poor knave shall earn his just dues yet!" When dealing with words you don't understand in any scenario such as reading a book, playing a video game, talking to another individual, etc., context is an important factor in easily discerning what someone is saying. Most often, you can read the beginning and ends of a sentence and your brain will "autofill" the rest, so for the example above: You might read "Ah, what a pity... earn his just dues yet!" Even without the adjectives and nouns within the middle, the meaning of the sentence is clearly present.

Returning to the last section, I'm not understanding this emphasis on the fact that the synthetic quirk must fit in a generic, modern setting. I believe the character fits well for their time and place, and it emphasizes the "outdated" portion of the character while referring to still less-used and modern examples (poetry, royalty). If I had to compare it to a modern setting, it'd be most easily compared to the latter two I stated. Regardless of my digression from the main point, I hope the above explanations helped you and anyone else get a clearer idea of the dialogue that might be evident in day-to-day scenarios. I apologise if you find the concept to be an uninteresting or unfitting one, but I'd just have to disagree! :)

EDIT: It came to me that an elaboration on how it fits into the cultural tropes above might be desired, so I'll give one now:
One of the two common points beyond the dictionary is that the character doesn't "fit in" into any modern cultural norms, to which I mentioned that of royalty is where it may belong. The most likely place out of the almayer the synthetic would belong would be the court, castle, or palace of a ruling monarchy or place present with a royal governing body (primarily that of the English.) Modern examples of this are still present, even in today's society, with my personal example being the Queen of England/the royal family of England. Yes, you may consider these outdated by today's standards, but they're still present and real themes that exist, which is the duality the character represents.

NoahKirchner
Byond: NoahKirchner

Post by NoahKirchner » 03 Oct 2018, 20:15

I am not convinced that the quirk here is particularly ill-fitting. While it is certainly out of the ordinary and unique, something that a lot of applications lack and are thusly criticized for, I don't necessarily think that it's too out of place to be believable. Sure, it's silly, but I think a point has been reached for the synthetic whitelist as a whole where every quirk that is not at least a bit silly or outlandish has already been taken, and what's the point in roleplaying a quirk that four other people have already done? I think there is an important distinction between low roleplay and silly roleplay. Low roleplay pulls you out of the experience and isn't conducive to a good story, but silly roleplay, however strange it may seem, can help to immerse someone into a story and make a round much more memorable than a gimmick that is far more bland and forgettable. I think most people can agree, and I can personally attest that Okand is a good roleplay, and I don't have a doubt in my mind that she'd be able to handle the silly gimmick in a way that remains grounded and contributes to the story instead of detracting from it. Again, the distinction between low roleplay ooc memes and silly ic gimmicks is very clear, and denying an application because it's not super serious doesn't quite make sense when a fair portion of the server is either blatantly lowrp or silly in nature.

As far as the issue of vocabulary and strange sentence structure and what-not, I think this adds some flavour to dialogue. However, I also realize that there is a point where the vocabulary used is so dense and esoteric that only an english major would understand what's being said. That said, the word knave or flogging, or some other basic old english aren't particularly foreign, and as long as Okand can know where to draw the line so that enjoyment isn't impacted, I see no reason why it would be a negative. Throwing in some big words to spruce up dialogue that isn't crucial would be more interesting to read than plain dialogue, and she's said already that she'd be willing to dumb it down for important messages or on request, which nullifies that point I would argue.

My point here isn't to blindly defend Okand, sure she's my friend n'all, but I think more outlandish quirks for synths would be more interesting than another hundred applications for quirks that have already been done, and if precedent is set here maybe there'll be more interesting quirks down the line. There's only so many ways to fit into a perfectly realistic setting, and CM isn't a perfectly realistic setting, so why have the standards for realism so high when the emphasis should, arguably, be placed on the ability to roleplay a gimmick well as opposed to being able to roleplay realistically, because roleplaying as a realistic person is easy and boring. I understand that my vote probably doesn't mean very much, but I absolutely hope that this applications gets accepted and that I get to play in a round with Joan runnin' around spicing up the round, because it's certainly more engaging than low rp nonsense, a buck standard quirk or a synth that wordlessly heads down to the planet and does stuff, and I'm sure that I'd remember it a helluva lot more too.

+1
► Show Spoiler

Sleepy Retard

Post by Sleepy Retard » 03 Oct 2018, 23:32

NoahKirchner wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 20:15
Words
Most of your argument revolves around it being a bit below MRP. While I would understand and perhaps be convinced if this was the goon RP server, whitelisted roles are held to a higher degree of RP standard in comparison to the rest of the server.

Additionally, not every quirk is done and dusted. It's easy to come up with one that isn't already done without relying on it being outlandish and silly. In fact, this applications gimmick isn't unique. It's already done.

More than ninety percent of synth players have different gimmick and the remaining ten percent either overlap or choose to be nearly a bog standard synth. Recently, we've seen several new gimmicks that work well. Again, the argument of 'Its more interesting than a LRP marine and more interesting than a mute synth'...Yes, that's a given Noah. But our synths aren't mute.

Jakkkk
Byond: Jakkkk

Post by Jakkkk » 04 Oct 2018, 00:14

Basically everything ElDefaultio and MattAtlas has said already.

Okand, you're a really cool person and I hold a lot of admiration towards you, but for this application it would go against my professional reviewing principles to accept based on OOC character alone. The quirk is interesting no doubt, but it would be unable to be portrayed accurately in CM to make all participators in that RP satisfied or even comprehend what is going on. We do not dislike creativity or uniqueness, but we won't stand for a quirk that would be unbearable for most players, and some words are not easily understood by the marines. I personally have no idea what knaves meant before this.

Olaf's dossier: viewtopic.php?f=91&t=16128
Mortimer: viewtopic.php?f=149&t=16195
Xarvis Ut'ur-era: viewtopic.php?f=124&t=17817

Synthetic Council Term One, along with Sleepy Retard and MattAtlas.

"Harry, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee."

Okand37

Post by Okand37 » 04 Oct 2018, 00:25

I don't think its right or fair to raise a demand for unique, engaging quirks then deny them on issues that have been addressed in full, complete ways that mitigate or eliminate the issues for denial all together.

The point of vocabulary was brought up, to which I've addressed by mentioning examples of the most extreme I'd go, as well as mentioned on multiple occasions how it could be easily dumbed down.
It was brought up that the character's archetype of English nobility didn't fit in anywhere, when I've noted the still current existence of the monarchy and royal family in England as well as formal English.
Lastly, it was brought up that the idea itself would be low rp, when a distinction between what is and isn't low roleplay really hasn't formally been made in the above. Would you consider a poet reciting poetry to be low roleplay, or the existence of a character from a royal family--of which they are still present today--to be low roleplay in an event?

Nor do I think it fair to state that the quirk would be unbearable for most players when only a very small minority of them have commented on the application. A suggestion for this, however: Why not attempt a test by using this gimmick as an ingame character to prove or disprove the actuality of whether or not it'd be inconvenient? I'd be willing to attempt this, as I believe it would bring satisfaction to both parties and allow me to further demonstrate the above.

I'm disappointed you'd be willing to deny an application for a medium roleplay role when the qualifications have been met, and when the applicant has displayed an immense focus on roleplaying in any environment they've been thrust into ingame, on attributes that have been logically responded to.

Nonetheless, I don't make the rules--though I'd suggest they be amended to further elaborate on the expectations and viewpoints of the synthetic council if you're to deny people for reasons unspecified in the programming guidelines for future applicants.

taketheshot56
Byond: taketheshot56

Post by taketheshot56 » 04 Oct 2018, 00:53

The quirk is simply too much im afraid, i have to echo others sentiments here

"I like to live in the present sir. The past is for pussies...and Airmen."

Part of the Commanders council. Pm me with your concerns loyal consituents.

JennerH
Byond: JennerH
Steam: Chocolate Thunder

Post by JennerH » 04 Oct 2018, 00:54

I think that while the quirk is definitely out there, it's perfectly reasonable for someone like Okand. She's been known to play plenty of characters with equally challenging accents and language quirks so I expect great things from her synth. If anyone is questioning her effectiveness as a synthetic with this accent, try giving her a set of dialog questions and have her respond how she would as Joan.

+1 from me
Delaney
----------- Song of the Month -------------------
https://youtu.be/wdNAYokSlCc